ipsection

PS3 Controller and the PI

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Is it possible to use the Playstation 3 Controller in Bluetooth mode on a Raspberry Pi with a Bluetooth dongle?

toxibunny

Re: PS3 Controller and the PI

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:30 pm

I dunno. I have a ps3 controller and a bluetooth dongle that I can try out, if someone will tell me how...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Linus

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:01 pm

I've tried connecting my Logitech PS3 controller (It uses an extra dongle) to my Pi and using it with XBMC and it moves in the right direction when using the arrow buttons but only a bit and then it stops and jumps back once you let the buttons go.

Is there a special driver that I could install?

malakai

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:28 am

Neither the tutorial listed or the one on http://www.aonsquared.co.uk/the_dark_pi_rises come close to installing on wheezy anyone able to help
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Casey

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 am

After a bit of playing around i think I've got a PS3 controller working.

I used this tutorial

[url]http://booting-rpi.blogspot.ro/2012/08/ ... ry-pi.html[/url]

but about half way through after you do 'make' you need to then do 'sudo make install'

I also found that I had to do a reboot before 'sudo sixad --start' would detect the controller.

Now it's time to try and config retro arch.

dantasasd

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 am

Hi. How can I use this for controlling a LED on GPIO with joystick buttons?

JoeStrout

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm trying to follow the tutorial referenced above (I'm running Debian armel from the Downloads page). All seems good up to a point; I found I had to run the sixpair executable with sudo, but after that, it successfully paired the DualShock controller.

Then I downloaded and unpacked QtSixA-1.5.1-src.tar.gz as directed, cd'd to QtSixA-1.5.1/sixad, and tried to make. But make failed with this error message:
Package bluez was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `bluez.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
I'm still quite new to Linux, so I don't understand why I've run into this where others have not, or what I must do to fix it. For what it's worth, my PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable seems to be empty, but I don't know how to find this bluez.pc it's looking for.

Thanks for any help!

Spid

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:15 pm

I believe that most bloggers and tinkerers etal when talking about the Raspberry Pi they actually mean Raspbian "wheezy" which is ARMHF......
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

JoeStrout

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Spid wrote:I believe that most bloggers and tinkerers etal when talking about the Raspberry Pi they actually mean Raspbian "wheezy" which is ARMHF......
Perhaps... I can't run that one though, because it's incompatible with both Java and Mono (and I have plans for using those with the PS3 controller).

I did try a sudo apt-get install bluez, which installed something, but the make attempt still fails. :(

xranby

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:40 pm

JoeStrout wrote:
Spid wrote:I believe that most bloggers and tinkerers etal when talking about the Raspberry Pi they actually mean Raspbian "wheezy" which is ARMHF......
Perhaps... I can't run that one though, because it's incompatible with both Java and Mono (and I have plans for using those with the PS3 controller).

I did try a sudo apt-get install bluez, which installed something, but the make attempt still fails. :(
Java work *fine* using Rasbian armhf, OpenJDK have worked for months since Rasbian creation and Oracle JDK also work excellent.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 81&t=27805 - status of java on raspbian.

The bluez install most likely succeded.

It is common that you may run into issues when compiling applications most likely you are missing a C header that can get fixed by installing the -dev package of a required library.
Post the error codes you get when you compile the Qt application and we may help you find the packages that you require to install for the compilation to succeed.
You get the bluez.pc pkg-config file by installing the libbluetooth-dev package- Development files for using the BlueZ Linux Bluetooth library
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

JoeStrout

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm

OK, this was my silly mistake... there was a line break in the apt-get line in the instructions, and I only copied the first line. So I was missing half the dependencies.

For the record, if anybody else runs into this, just redo this whole line (it won't hurt if some of these are already installed):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bluez-utils bluez-compat bluez-hcidump checkinstall libusb-dev libbluetooth-dev joystick
The make command works fine (for me, at least) after that.

Jako

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:00 am

Hi! I updated raspbian and "sixad" don't works now. With "make" again the problem is the same. Sixad says:
sixad-bin[3714]: unable to connect to sdp session

That never happened before :-(.

I tried to find some info about the "sdp session" on debian and at all i didn't got any conclusion. Cheking older images with my sixad conifg working don't give me any hint about the "sdp" service.
:?
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

piborg

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Jako wrote:Hi! I updated raspbian and "sixad" don't works now. With "make" again the problem is the same. Sixad says:
sixad-bin[3714]: unable to connect to sdp session

That never happened before :-(.

I tried to find some info about the "sdp session" on debian and at all i didn't got any conclusion. Cheking older images with my sixad conifg working don't give me any hint about the "sdp" service.
:?
Has anyone else seen this issue, I did a clean install of raspbian 2013-02-09 recently and ran into the same problem...
PiBorg - Control robots from your Raspberry Pi at piborg.org

magno23

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 pm

how can i test the controller to see if the buttons are working without using a game?

steev

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 am

I also get the "cannot connect to sdp session" error on Raspbian but shortly after it says that the controller has connected. .
The lights on the controller stay blinking and it doesn't vibrate to let me know that it's connected like it usually does, but the controller at least works.

I only see this error on Raspbian, sixad works fine on Arch Linux ARM and ARMedslack

Agamemnian

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm seeing the unable to connect to sdp session error too.

When I try connecting I get the following:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo sixad --stop
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo sixad --start
sixad-bin[2506]: started
sixad-bin[2506]: sixad started, press the PS button now
sixad-bin[2506]: unable to connect to sdp session
sixad-bin[2506]: Connected Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller (E0:AE:5E:09:8C:94)

Its strange as it then says its connected, and if I run retroarch-joyconfig -o /RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg it recognises all buttons over bluetooth

However using emulationstation, it will not accept any input for the initial es_input.cfg file.

I'm confused here :(

McGric

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:22 pm

I am having exact same issue. Got through tutorial and lsusb shows:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 054c:0268 Sony Corp. Batoh Device / PlayStation 3 Controller
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1131:1004 Integrated System Solution Corp. Bluetooth Device

hciconfig shows:
hci0: Type: BR/EDR Bus: USB
BD Address: 00:11:67:CE:89:DB ACL MTU: 1021:4 SCO MTU: 48:10
UP RUNNING PSCAN
RX bytes:593375 acl:10213 sco:0 events:116 errors:0
TX bytes:1544 acl:49 sco:0 commands:43 errors:0

Can see the Playstation Controller connecting and disconnecting where it's definitely recognizing it:
sixad-bin[4218]: started
sixad-bin[4218]: sixad started, press the PS button now
sixad-bin[4218]: unable to connect to sdp session
sixad-bin[4218]: Connected Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller (04:76:6E:36:E8:31)

Did you guys figure out anything for:
Ensure /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf contains:

iscan disable;
pscan enable;
#auth enable;
#encrypt enable;

I think this could be the cause. I have no hcid.conf file but I read that the main.conf file has replaced hcid.conf file with newer versions. I dont see anywhere relevant to these options. Please help am getting very frustrated

Aquifel

Sun May 12, 2013 10:29 pm

I am having the same issue as well, has anyone ever found a fix for this on raspbian?

Chris813

Wed May 15, 2013 1:58 am

Aquifel wrote:I am having the same issue as well, has anyone ever found a fix for this on raspbian?
I just followed the tutorial at http://booting-rpi.blogspot.ro/2012/08/ ... ry-pi.html and have it working on wheezy. I had to run "sudo apt-get update" first which wasn't mentioned in the tutorial but is a good idea before installing anything via apt-get.

mrpi64

Wed May 15, 2013 7:27 am

or the usb cable.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

mattlewis

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 am

I think this could be the cause. I have no hcid.conf file but I read that the main.conf file has replaced hcid.conf file with newer versions. I dont see anywhere relevant to these options. Please help am getting very frustrated
[/quote]

Did you get anywhere with this? I've recently resurrected an old project and recall getting the PS3 controller communicating with the Pi over Bluetooth with no problems. Last night I tried to follow exactly the same steps as before (just with a more recent Raspbian image) and simply could not get this to work - exactly the same behaviour as reported here, i.e. "unable to connect to sdp session" message and flashing lights on the controller.
http://www.diozero.com/

ab-fab

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:42 pm

mattlewis wrote:(...) exactly the same behaviour as reported here, i.e. "unable to connect to sdp session" message and flashing lights on the controller.
+1
My controller is not genuine (ordered on dx.com).
Works perfectly wirelless on a PS3, or connected by USB to the RPi. But same issue as expressed above when attempting to connect to the BT dongle.

Any advice welcome !

Bye

bucker

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:38 pm

it only worked for me when i plugged the bluetooth dongle directly to the Pi (not on the hub)
Winning is for losers.
Raspberry Pi Model B / B+ / B2
--

mattlewis

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Just tried again, this time with the Bluetooth dongle connected direct to the Pi and get the same error.
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo sixad --start
sixad-bin[2494]: started
sixad-bin[2494]: sixad started, press the PS button now
sixad-bin[2494]: unable to connect to sdp session
sixad-bin[2494]: Connected Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller (60:38:0E:75:A1:D4)
http://www.diozero.com/

Return to “Gaming”