Autoholic

RetroPie Console

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Pi / RetroPie, but not computers. I know more about software than hardware, I always enjoy modding and hacking video games. For the most part, that comes down to editing text files or running a hex editor. When the NES Classic was announced, I got exited and then got irritated once it was released. Not happy with Nintendo's blunder over what could be the platform that saves the company this holiday season. Eventually, I'll purchase a system but once the insanity dies down and stock is not rarer than a unicorn.

That is what got me here, diving into the RetroPie and the Raspberry Pi micro controller. I work pretty hard, have a little money to spare and decided why not, lets take the plunge. So I've purchased a Pi 3 model B, CanaKit 2.5A power supply, Samsung 32GB Evo+ microSD, NES30 Pro controller, Rii mini keyboard with touch pad, black Raspberry Pi ABS plastic case and just now, this sweet case below...

I did some searching on the forum here before finalizing purchases on Amazon, that is what tipped me off to the 32GB Evo+ as being one of the best microSD cards for the Pi 3B. The black case was part of the order and while I don't need it anymore, it's cheap and who knows if I'll end up using it at a later date. Or trade it for something someone else has, that they don't need and I could use. It's a very pretty case, has the raspberry cut out of the top, pretty popular from the reviews I've read. Was thinking about gluing a fan beneath the cut out, and then stumbled across the Mechatronics Art case and it was just so pretty I had to use it. I like the reset button built into the case, and all of it being aluminum. Makes for a nice solid console.

If there is anything anyone sees as being a problem, please let me know. I do have one question, do I need to plug in a wired keyboard to setup the Pi or will the bluetooth Rii keyboard work? I believe it comes with a USB wireless adapter, I know it comes with a cord but I also have a USB to USB mini cord. So worst case, I plug the Rii into the Pi. I went with the Rii mini because I want a small wireless keyboard to use when laying back and watching stuff from my computer on my TV.

One last question, can I use Kodi within RetroPie? Or will this require me to have two systems installed, and switch between them?

Thanks in advance.
~Joe
"Autoholism is an incurable addiction medicated daily"

Jessie

Re: RetroPie Console

Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:21 am

It is a sweet looking case. For its price I think Ill just stick to taking old copper heat sinks off of trash motherboards in the closet.

Autoholic

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:33 pm

I got the case rather quickly and it is pretty awesome. Once I'm done getting everything setup, I'll do a write up. The case and customer service that came with it, worth the cost. My critique will be in my write up.
~Joe
"Autoholism is an incurable addiction medicated daily"

Rompe

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:56 am

Autoholic wrote:I got the case rather quickly and it is pretty awesome. Once I'm done getting everything setup, I'll do a write up. The case and customer service that came with it, worth the cost. My critique will be in my write up.
Where can I find your write up? The case definitely looks great. I have few questions regarding it here: viewtopic.php?p=1183603#p1183603

Return to “Gaming”