paddy_petes

Mame Roms wont load when USB audio interface is connected

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I've recently built a bartop arcade running from a pi 3, everything was running great except that audio via the in built jack was terrible. I've installed a usb audio interface and got it up an running by changing the default sound card in the alsa.conf file.

I'm using attract mode as my front end and when i boot up everything sounds great, I can scroll through my games and all the previews play fine and the sound is perfect but when I try to load a rom it just goes to a black screen for about 10 seconds before returning to the game menu. As soon as I return the default audio back to the onboard sound the roms load fine.

Has anyone else had this issue when using a usb interface? I'm running mame4all.

Thanks.

Higgy

Re: Mame Roms wont load when USB audio interface is connecte

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi.

Yes I had this with mame4all a year or 2 ago.
The answer was on PiPlay / PiMAME forums, but they seem to be down at the moment, and I can't remember the solution.

If you have a RPI3 then why not use Mame 2003 on RetroPie?
My setup is working well.

This is what I am currently using and you can have amazing overlays/bezels of the original arcade cabinet with the game running in the middle with a cool CRT scanline effect.

Higgy

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Some memories are coming back!

I think it involved creating an asound.conf file.

paddy_petes

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi Higgy,

I'd prefer to use mame2003 but I can't get it to work properly with my Joysticks, I'm using the xin-mo controller for which you have to use the 'usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040' fix in order to get retropie to recognise dual controllers instead of just 1 but when I try to map the controls in mame2003 some buttons don't register, they work fine in mame4all though. I wish I had all the shaders but I've got scanlines in mame4all which look pretty good.

Oh, and I don't need the arcade overlays as I'm running it in my own cab :)

Higgy

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:26 pm

I know what you mean, there is always something with the RPI that does not quite work right!

I previously used GPIO inputs, but currently I am using KADE USB contollers setup as usb keyboard commands.

I did not make bezels for my bartops so i just had the edges of the monitor frame painted black. My latest 2 player bar top has a widescreen PC monitor so there would be a lot of black monitor screen without the on screen bezels.

paddy_petes

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Tbh mate I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I built mine but it was alot of fun learning. I'm running an old 4.3 monitor in my cab, it looks a bit rough/homemade in places but I'm well happy with how it turned out. Just need to sort out a marquee design!

Return to “Gaming”