kevinmac

Is there any input lag on the Pi 3 when using Emulation?

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:17 pm

I am very excited to build a Pi for retro gaming. I am currently using my laptop and plugging it into my TV to play nes, snes etc however, I notice that there is an input lag on my TV but no lag on my laptop. Will there be input lag on the Pi? Or will it be as responsive as the original console?

DavidS

Re: Is there any input lag on the Pi 3 when using Emulation?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 am

kevinmac wrote:I am very excited to build a Pi for retro gaming. I am currently using my laptop and plugging it into my TV to play nes, snes etc however, I notice that there is an input lag on my TV but no lag on my laptop. Will there be input lag on the Pi? Or will it be as responsive as the original console?
That all depends on how you set things up.

If using Linux (eg. Raspbian), he lag should be with in the bounds of the original console, so long as there are no unneeded processes running, the emulator in use is given a high enough priority (though not to high), and the emulator is capable of running at full speed on a Quad Core ARMv8 running at an average of 1700MIPS per core in a multitasking enviroment.

If using an emulator running on bare metal (no OS at all), and taking advantage of all 4 cores, and having a good USB stack, then there should be no problem at all up to the likes of a PlayStation 2 or equivalent.

The general rule is that you can emulate any system that has less than 1/16th processing power in total than that of the host CPU(s), on bare metal and well optimized for speed (caches on, disk access buffering, good implementation algorithms, etc), adjust a little for running in a multitasking OS.

Remember when calculating the processing power of a given console that you must include the CPU, any video processing HW, and any MCU's used for IO or other tasks.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Umino

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:36 pm

kevinmac wrote:I notice that there is an input lag on my TV but no lag on my laptop.
then the lag is probably produced by your TV, wich is a common problem on modern TVs because the video gets digitally processed to achieve a number of "optimisations" (dynamic contrast, noise reduction, etc)

look through the settings of your TV and see if there is any option to enable a "game mode".

as the name suggests - this mode is intended for playing videogames where fast response is critical so the TV tries to display every frame as fast as possible with a minimum of processing in between

Ascotillion

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:43 pm

When I first set mine up, I got weird input lag and tried a bunch of things to fix it, like setting my TV to game mode or changing the emulator in use.

Turns out it was because I bought squishy terrible controllers from China instead of using good ones! I swapped out for some Xbox 360 ones and it works perfectly now.

Koeshi

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:59 am

DavidS wrote: If using an emulator running on bare metal (no OS at all), and taking advantage of all 4 cores, and having a good USB stack, then there should be no problem at all up to the likes of a PlayStation 2 or equivalent.
Is this an option on the Pi that you know of or do you just mean in general?

dankcushions

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:43 pm

kevinmac wrote:
If using an emulator running on bare metal (no OS at all), and taking advantage of all 4 cores, and having a good USB stack, then there should be no problem at all up to the likes of a PlayStation 2 or equivalent.

The general rule is that you can emulate any system that has less than 1/16th processing power in total than that of the host CPU(s), on bare metal and well optimized for speed (caches on, disk access buffering, good implementation algorithms, etc), adjust a little for running in a multitasking OS.
you certainly can't emulate ps2 on a pi3. i think this rule is a bit abstract because there's way more things that factor in compared to CPU power, especially when emulating hardware with 3d acceleration.

ashmck73

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Agreed - you definately won't be emulating an PS2 games on the Pi 3 - that's just pushing things a little too far.

PS1 and some PSP games work well and arcade games up to the early 2000's seem to run fine.

In response to the original question about lag - I run my Pi3 attached via HDMI to my TV (plasma) and have not noticed any lag whatsoever. I run 2 wireless clone PS2 gamepads ($20 on ebay) for controls and they have never skipped a beat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ashley
the curator @
www.raspberryretro.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Gaming”