Multi-console gamepad driver for GPIO

448 posts   Page 4 of 18   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18
by petrockblog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:21 pm
marqs wrote:
petrockblog wrote:I am also having the problem with the exec format error on a fresh installation with the latest Rasbian download ... I am no DKMS expert, so that I do not know where to look at first.
Did you run rpi-update and reboot before installing the module? The kernel headers are configured against the most recent firmware (https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... le.symvers is downloaded during headers installation). This means that one should always have the newest firmware before gamecon installation (3.6.11+, commit 2dca91b4e9450395e2e0c54d83302f98bd5b8c6b currently).

The same issue may rise again after a subsequent fw update, but can be fixed by running the "install/update gamecon"-option in the retropie-setup. I hope we'll get to mainline kernel soon, which would hopefully bring official header packages to solve these kind of issues once and for all...

I probably should write a short FAQ to the module wikipage - some of the issues mentioned here in this thread could be explained there along with the solutions.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try the rpi-update way.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com
by arcadiacook » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:13 am
I have wired a 4 PS2 gamepads into the IO pins on the Pi. When I use the just 2 pad setting
modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,0,0,7,7
Things work perfectly. I am able to use both controllers, navigate emulationstation with player 1 controller and have zero issues. For this set up my kern.log reads

PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input3
PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO2
PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input4
PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO3

But when I switch to 4 player mode
modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,7,7,7,7
I have no ability to use any controllers at all. All controllers get power, but none of them work and emulation station does not recognize my controllers at all. I have set up the retroarch.cfg changed the appropriate emulationstation files, but no dice. My kern.log reads for this set up as

PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input6
PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO4
PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input7
PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO7
PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input8
PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input9

I am suspecting that the fact that they are reading as input6-input9 is the problem; instead of input1-input4, but I am not sure. Please let me know if more information is needed. I am new to linux but have been managing with some books with navigation.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
by marqs » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm
arcadiacook wrote:I have wired a 4 PS2 gamepads into the IO pins on the Pi. When I use the just 2 pad setting
modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,0,0,7,7
Things work perfectly. I am able to use both controllers, navigate emulationstation with player 1 controller and have zero issues. For this set up my kern.log reads

PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input3
PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input4
PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO3

But when I switch to 4 player mode
I have no ability to use any controllers at all. All controllers get power, but none of them work and emulation station does not recognize my controllers at all. I have set up the retroarch.cfg changed the appropriate emulationstation files, but no dice. My kern.log reads for this set up as

PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input6
PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO4
PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input7
PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO7
PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input8
PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input9

I am suspecting that the fact that they are reading as input6-input9 is the problem; instead of input1-input4, but I am not sure. Please let me know if more information is needed. I am new to linux but have been managing with some books with navigation.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
There may a couple of things causing this. Could you test the pads with jstest after loading the driver with 4-pad config?
Code: Select all
apt-get install joystick
jstest /dev/input/jsX #replace X with pad number, 0-3
Notice that the pads which are used in 2-pad config [GPIO2,3] are set as 3rd and 4th pad in 4-pad config. If none of the pads react in jstest, try disconnecting one or two pads while keeping the same config. If that helps, the issue is likely in the power department. 50mA limit should be enough for 4 PS2 pads (without force-feedback) but I haven't tested with that many myself.
by arcadiacook » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 am
marqs wrote:There may a couple of things causing this. Could you test the pads with jstest after loading the driver with 4-pad config?
apt-get install joystick
jstest /dev/input/jsX #replace X with pad number, 0-3
Notice that the pads which are used in 2-pad config [GPIO2,3] are set as 3rd and 4th pad in 4-pad config. If none of the pads react in jstest, try disconnecting one or two pads while keeping the same config. If that helps, the issue is likely in the power department. 50mA limit should be enough for 4 PS2 pads (without force-feedback) but I haven't tested with that many myself.

Been working a lot the last few days, had some free time so I was just able to test this. I went ahead, set everything up with the 4 pads, ran jstest and got zero response. I unplugged player 3 and player 4, still nothing. I kept player 3 and 4 plugged in and unplugged 1 and 2 still nothing, no response at all even with only two pads plugged in. I tried doing this with every variation as well as rebooting just to be sure.

If I switch back to modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map= 0,0,0,0,7,7 then everything goes back to working. I don't think this is a power issue, but I could totally be wrong. Even with all four controllers plugged in and their analog light on all 4 (the PS2 Controller had a light if you turned off and on the analog sticks,) the system went back to behaving like normal.

But if modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map= 0,0,7,7,7,7 with 1 or 4 controllers plugged in and I am fairly certain they all get power, there is no response. I am still thinking it is the ID they get in the kern log

Feb 11 22:24:18 raspberrypi kernel: [ 33.888921] input: PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input6
Feb 11 22:24:18 raspberrypi kernel: [ 33.889602] PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO4
Feb 11 22:24:18 raspberrypi kernel: [ 33.889995] input: PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input7
Feb 11 22:24:18 raspberrypi kernel: [ 33.890571] PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO7
Feb 11 22:24:18 raspberrypi kernel: [ 33.890883] input: PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input8
Feb 11 22:24:18 raspberrypi kernel: [ 33.891391] PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO2
Feb 11 22:24:18 raspberrypi kernel: [ 33.891722] input: PSX controller as /devices/virtual/input/input9
Feb 11 22:24:18 raspberrypi kernel: [ 33.893642] PSX controller data pin connected to GPIO3

still at an impass.

Funny thing happened today as well. If I play two player NES two player games no problem with the two game pads, but for whatever reason playing 2 player SNES games player 2 wasn't working on a few games, but others it would. This is likely a separate bug, but curious nonetheless.
by marqs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 pm
arcadiacook wrote:If I switch back to modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map= 0,0,0,0,7,7 then everything goes back to working. I don't think this is a power issue, but I could totally be wrong. Even with all four controllers plugged in and their analog light on all 4 (the PS2 Controller had a light if you turned off and on the analog sticks,) the system went back to behaving like normal.

But if modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map= 0,0,7,7,7,7 with 1 or 4 controllers plugged in and I am fairly certain they all get power, there is no response. I am still thinking it is the ID they get in the kern log
Ok, it's not a power issue then if you get it working by just changing the driver config while the physical setup stays the same.

I tried to replicate this behaviour by connecting my PSX pad to GPIO4 and trying different setups:
jstest /dev/input/js0
modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=7,7,7,7
jstest /dev/input/js2 #note the changed ID
Both worked for me without issues :? One thing I forgot to mention that you should always run "rmmod gamecon_gpio_rpi" between consecutive modprobe commands (I though one couldn't even load the driver with new config without unloading first, but it seems so...), but if you tried the 4-pad config straight after reboot, then this didn't cause the problem.

I can't think of what could cause the issue, but it's not related to the IDs of /devices/virtual/input/inputX , which get assigned sequentially to new input devices (0 and 1 being most likely your kb and mouse). You can check the physical input mapping with lsinput (ignore BUS_PARPORT). Did you try if "modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,7,7" worked? That info could give some insight where the problem is.

arcadiacook wrote:Funny thing happened today as well. If I play two player NES two player games no problem with the two game pads, but for whatever reason playing 2 player SNES games player 2 wasn't working on a few games, but others it would. This is likely a separate bug, but curious nonetheless.
Hmm, are the pads identical? One more thing worth trying out (I'm sorry to make you the tester ;) ) is to increase the psx pad access delay (add "psx_delay=25" to the modprobe command).
by jppely » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:24 am
hi there.
i can´t get a NES pad to work.
i burn the retroPie image on my SD (after getting stuck with an script installation), get the GPIO driver from the retropie setup.
then i setup the load of the module with:
sudo nano /etc/modules

and put
gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,0,0,2,0

everything seems to load ok
tested with jstest and i get:

jstest /dev/input/js0
Driver version is 2.1.0.
Joystick (NES pad) has 2 axes (X, Y)
and 4 buttons (BtnX, BtnY, BtnThumbL, BtnThumbR).
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Axes: 0: 0 1: 0 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off

and nothing happens
the wiring also appears to be ok, i have double chequed.
the controllers are original and works perfect on my NES
What can i do?
Could it be a firmware problem?
Did someone tried with the 5v supply to the NES pad?
i really need to get this working!!!!

by the way... great work on the retropie!
by jppely » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:37 am
hi there.
i´m sorry, but i´m going to write very fast and probably with a lot of errors, but i just erase a very long post, its late and i´m very tired

i can´t make a NES pad to work.
I have burned the retroPie image on my SD card, then installed the GPIO driver from the retropie setup.
configure the module with
sudo nano /etc/modules
and put

also i have tried with map=2,0,0,0, and also with map=2,2,2,2 and wiring the data pin to the diferents GPIOS.
i tried with jstest and no comands are incoming....
cheked with lsmod and the modules are loaded...
the wiring seems to be ok, double cheked.
the controllers are original and work perfect on the NES.
don´t know what else to do.
did someone tried the 5v supply?
could it be a firmware problem?
i really need this beautifull project to be working ASAP.

thanks a lot for the work done and for the future answers ;)
by marqs » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:45 pm
jppely wrote:also i have tried with map=2,0,0,0, and also with map=2,2,2,2 and wiring the data pin to the diferents GPIOS.
That sounds like the same issue ProtestTheGyro and Ragoon had (check page 3). Some revisions of the NES pads apparently don't work with 3.3V. Switching to 5v fixed the issue, so you can try that. I recommend using a resistor+diode clamp to protect the input pin of RPi gpio (an example circuit is shown on the same page).
by jppely » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:25 am
marqs wrote:That sounds like the same issue ProtestTheGyro and Ragoon had (check page 3). Some revisions of the NES pads apparently don't work with 3.3V. Switching to 5v fixed the issue, so you can try that. I recommend using a resistor+diode clamp to protect the input pin of RPi gpio (an example circuit is shown on the same page).

i have tested the pad with an arduino sketch, powering it with 3.3v and it worked just fine. :?

another thing, i want to delete the control config file of emulatiostation, but i can't find it anywhere. where is it?
by jppely » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm
well, i quit trying to make this work.
but i found another solution:
i only need to play NES games, so i wrote a little sketch on an Arduino Leonardo to read the nes pad data and morph it to keyboard comands (x, z, arrows, rerutn and esc... yes, no select needed).
plug the Leonardo as a keyboard an DONE! NesPie ready to go!
by marqs » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:13 am
jppely wrote:i have tested the pad with an arduino sketch, powering it with 3.3v and it worked just fine. :?

another thing, i want to delete the control config file of emulatiostation, but i can't find it anywhere. where is it?
Ok, interesting to hear that. How long delay you use to generate clock to the pad? I can't understand why that didn't work with Pi's 3.3V supply. The only thing that comes to mind is that the 3.3v regulator would be overloaded, but that's unlikely as stuff like usb are powered from 5V (even though 3.3v is regulated from that).

I'm not ES expert but ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg seems to contain the input config. There a dedicated thread to ES if you need to ask more details.
by aganim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 am
I am having some trouble getting this to work with two SNES controllers. They are third party controllers, and I have tried the previously mentioned ideas but I get somewhat strange results.

When wired up to 3.3V, I get no response at all in jstest. I increased GC_NES_DELAY to 12, recompiled, and still get no response. I then added a diode and resistor (470 Ohms was the closest I had to the suggested 500). Now what I see wen I run jstest is:
- no response on Axes 0 or 1
- buttons 0 and 2-7 all show as "on" and do not react if I press them,
- button 1 shows as "off" and reacts as expected if I press it

I thought my wiring was faulty, so I did it all over again and still get the same result. Do you have any ideas what might cause that sort of test result?
by aganim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:30 am
aganim wrote:I am having some trouble getting this to work with two SNES controllers. They are third party controllers, and I have tried the previously mentioned ideas but I get somewhat strange results.

When wired up to 3.3V, I get no response at all in jstest. I increased GC_NES_DELAY to 12, recompiled, and still get no response. I then added a diode and resistor (470 Ohms was the closest I had to the suggested 500). Now what I see wen I run jstest is:
- no response on Axes 0 or 1
- buttons 0 and 2-7 all show as "on" and do not react if I press them,
- button 1 shows as "off" and reacts as expected if I press it

I thought my wiring was faulty, so I did it all over again and still get the same result. Do you have any ideas what might cause that sort of test result?

It actually looks like my ribbon cable might have had a short. Things are working now with a different one. So much wasted time if that was indeed the problem!
by marqs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:23 am
aganim wrote:It actually looks like my ribbon cable might have had a short. Things are working now with a different one. So much wasted time if that was indeed the problem!
Good to hear that you got it working! Did it need 5V supply in the end or was it fine with 3.3V? I'm curious to know since the problematic ones have been NES controllers so far.
by aganim » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 am
I didn't try going back to 3.3V after replacing the ribbon cable. Before I went to 5V though I wasn't getting any response out of the controllers at all. After going to 5V I was, but it was kind of odd as I mentioned in my other post. The SNES controllers I am using are Tomee brand.
by vulpem » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 pm
Hey all. I've been working on a little gamecube conversion lately using this module, inserted into the openelec build system. I've run into quite a few snags getting this all working with sdl/openelec/xbmc and I'll eventually get a full write-up done soon for anyone interested. In the meantime, I have an openelec fork up on github.
by nameless » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:45 am
jppely wrote:hi there.
i´m sorry, but i´m going to write very fast and probably with a lot of errors, but i just erase a very long post, its late and i´m very tired

i can´t make a NES pad to work.
I have burned the retroPie image on my SD card, then installed the GPIO driver from the retropie setup.
configure the module with
sudo nano /etc/modules
and put

also i have tried with map=2,0,0,0, and also with map=2,2,2,2 and wiring the data pin to the diferents GPIOS.

thanks a lot for the work done and for the future answers ;)

I'm having the same problem. My nes controllers just won't work, even with 5V. My kern.log is:

Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   17.200501] input: NES pad as /devices/virtual/input/input1
Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   17.232647] NES pad data pin connected to GPIO0
Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   17.248241] input: NES pad as /devices/virtual/input/input2
Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   17.277348] NES pad data pin connected to GPIO1
Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   27.836924] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   29.108686] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor ondemand
Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   29.108717] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor ondemand<6>[   30.881977] input: SNES-to-Keyboard Device as /devices/virtual/input/input3
Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   30.882715] input: SNES-to-Gamepad Device as /devices/virtual/input/input4
Mar 11 08:33:31 raspberrypi kernel: [   30.883860] input: SNES-to-Gamepad Device as /devices/virtual/input/input5
Mar 11 08:33:32 raspberrypi kernel: [   32.820053] Adding 102396k swap on /var/swap.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:102396k SS

I've tried almost everything I can imagine. Actually yesterday I got my nes controller to work! At the time it was recognized as SNES controller, but at least it responded to something. Now I don't have luck even with that.

This seems to be common problem so final solution to this would be appreciated:)
by marqs » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 pm
nameless wrote:I've tried almost everything I can imagine. Actually yesterday I got my nes controller to work! At the time it was recognized as SNES controller, but at least it responded to something. Now I don't have luck even with that.

This seems to be common problem so final solution to this would be appreciated:)
"input: SNES-to-Gamepad Device as /devices/virtual/input/input4" in kernel log sounds suspicious, since it's not produced by gamecon. You probably have both SnesDev & gamecon running, which can cause problems. You can try to stop snesdev and unload uinput, after which gamecon should work fine:
sudo service SNESDev stop
sudo rmmod uinput
sudo rmmod gamecon_gpio_rpi
sudo modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=...

If that doesn't help, you can alternatively try SnesDev alone, since that should support nes pads too. If neither works, then the issue is with hardware.
by nameless » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:10 pm
marqs wrote:"input: SNES-to-Gamepad Device as /devices/virtual/input/input4" in kernel log sounds suspicious, since it's not produced by gamecon. You probably have both SnesDev & gamecon running, which can cause problems. You can try to stop snesdev and unload uinput, after which gamecon should work fine:
sudo rmmod uinput
sudo modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=...

If that doesn't help, you can alternatively try SnesDev alone, since that should support nes pads too. If neither works, then the issue is with hardware.

Thank you!

Now I'm running gamecon only and it works flawlessly. It seems that the actual problem was my linux skills...
by marqs » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:50 pm
nameless wrote:Thank you!

Now I'm running gamecon only and it works flawlessly. It seems that the actual problem was my linux skills...
Ok, good to hear you got it working :)
by marqs » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:59 pm
vulpem wrote:Hey all. I've been working on a little gamecube conversion lately using this module, inserted into the openelec build system. I've run into quite a few snags getting this all working with sdl/openelec/xbmc and I'll eventually get a full write-up done soon for anyone interested. In the meantime, I have an openelec fork up on github.
Thanks! It's surely much easier to set up gamecon once it's integrated in the build system - just look at the amount of problems the kernel header installations have caused in this thread.
by vulpem » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:31 pm
by spreeway » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:16 am
Hello!

I have read the thread here and this is great resource when setting up the game_con driver. I have a issue that I'm hoping is fairly simple that someone could help me with.

I have installed the latest retro-pie script and installed the gamecon drivers within the script. I have two SNES game pads wired to GPIO 4 and 7 and have Rev2 of the pi board.

After the pi turns on, When I run these commands I can both controllers working in jstest:
sudo rmmod uinput
sudo modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,1,1,0,0

But if I restart the pi, the second controller (on GPIO 7) is not recognized by jstest (js0 or js1). This occurs if I have the SNESDev disabled by the script or enabled by the script.

Is there a file that I need to edit so that the sudo modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,1,1,0,0 is saved at bootup?

On bootup the output of tail /var/log/kern.log is:
Mar 18 00:07:55 raspberrypi kernel: [   11.116659] input: SNES pad as /devices/virtual/input/input          2
Mar 18 00:07:55 raspberrypi kernel: [   11.139242] SNES pad data pin connected to GPIO1
Mar 18 00:07:55 raspberrypi kernel: [   11.162647] input: SNES pad as /devices/virtual/input/input          3
Mar 18 00:07:55 raspberrypi kernel: [   11.188746] SNES pad data pin connected to GPIO4

after I run the commands above the kern.log looks better:
Mar 18 00:14:17 raspberrypi kernel: [  389.190581] input: SNES pad as /devices/virtual/input/input4
Mar 18 00:14:17 raspberrypi kernel: [  389.191182] SNES pad data pin connected to GPIO4
Mar 18 00:14:17 raspberrypi kernel: [  389.191467] input: SNES pad as /devices/virtual/input/input5
Mar 18 00:14:17 raspberrypi kernel: [  389.191962] SNES pad data pin connected to GPIO7
by marqs » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:24 pm
spreeway wrote:Is there a file that I need to edit so that the sudo modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,1,1,0,0 is saved at bootup?
Hi,

you have probably selected "Enable gamecon_gpio_rpi with SNES-pad config" in retropie-script, right? That sets gamecon to use different GPIO pins on startup, so you need to edit /etc/modules to adapt it to your configuration.
by spreeway » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 am
marqs wrote:
spreeway wrote:Is there a file that I need to edit so that the sudo modprobe gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,1,1,0,0 is saved at bootup?
Hi,

you have probably selected "Enable gamecon_gpio_rpi with SNES-pad config" in retropie-script, right? That sets gamecon to use different GPIO pins on startup, so you need to edit /etc/modules to adapt it to your configuration.

Thanks! all i had to do was
sudo nano /etc/modules
and change the last line (which was gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,1,1,0) to gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,1,1,0,0

I wonder if other people have had problems using the GPIO pin defaults when using rev2 Pi boards with the retropie setup script gamecon driver setup defaults.

Thanks again!