Koeshi

Best emulator system

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:09 pm

I would like to hear people's opinions on how RetroPie, Lakka and any other systems I don't know of compare in terms of stability and the number of games/emulators available to them. In addition what issues are associated with them, I believe I read on here before about there being a problem connecting PS3 controllers to systems running RetroPie. I am looking to try and make a portable system and want something that can be relied upon and still offers plenty of choice.

Paule87

Re: Best emulator system

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi, I have 2 rpi3 and run retro pie on one and, I had same thing just started out with the pi and not knowing what was what I went with what seemed easy and most popular, it is easy and simple to set up and configure (can even buy pre configured sd cards) and as of yet have had no trouble with it. There is options within the settings to connect PS3 controller and add bios files and transfers of roms /bios are fairly straightforward with a usb memory stick, it even works on zero as there is video of someone hacking a old gameboy and using retro pie as the os, for me it the choice but can say I'm team retro pie☺️

Koeshi

Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:33 pm

What controller are you using for the system? Have you tried an alternative system to make a comparison to? What setup are you using for sound? I was wondering if bluetooth headphones would be an option with the Pi3's built in BT. Sorry for question bombarding, I just want to gather as much information as I can and get this project done soon while I have the free time.

Paule87

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:42 pm

No worries on the question bombarding, time and the lack of a pc is what limits me I have looked into piplay to make comparisons I either play mine on my 7 inch raspberrypi screen or the 22 inch led TV using Apple headphones, my ks outrun bt headphones seem to lag I have a 360 controller, it is in a fan cooled case attached to the back of the tv with an omni vesa, very simple and low impact and imagination but it's practical and the wife and daughter can use it easy enough. Anything else want to know just ask.

Koeshi

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:52 am

These Apple headphone are BT then?

dankcushions

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:31 pm

the PS3 wireless controller issue was a raspian problem, so would affect retropie, recalbox, and any other emulator distributions running raspian. it's fixed now, i understand.

i think lakka is openelec, so who knows.

my take is:
retropie - highly configurable, supports most amount of systems, most popular and best support.
recalbox - easy to use out-of-the-box, supports all systems you'd probably want. good support
lakka - easiest to use out-of-the-box, supports some systems but limited to retroarch (N64, dreamcast, PSP, are not viable on pi in this situation). ok support.

i use retropie but there are fans of all.

Paule87

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:08 am

No just the standard ones that come with the iPhone itself.

jayminer

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:44 pm

My vote goes to Recalbox because it feels so polished and optimized, but I have not tried them all.

Koeshi

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:05 pm

dankcushions wrote:the PS3 wireless controller issue was a raspian problem, so would affect retropie, recalbox, and any other emulator distributions running raspian. it's fixed now, i understand.
Thanks, I'll test out whether it has been fixed when I have the time. Might be able to pick up a new SD card after work. Think I will be going with Raspbian as it sounds stable and has the most systems installed OOB.

Return to “Gaming”