chexbox

apt-get

Fri May 13, 2016 9:22 pm

How do I install the apt-get to the pi? (I put my question in the gaming list because it is needed for most games)

kusti8

Re: apt-get

Fri May 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Apt get is already installed in Raspbian and most distros. What problem are you having?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

chexbox

Fri May 13, 2016 9:28 pm

kusti8 wrote:Apt get is already installed in Raspbian and most distros. What problem are you having?
It's already installed, then why do most sites/forms say that I need to Install it?

klricks

Fri May 13, 2016 9:39 pm

chexbox wrote:
kusti8 wrote:Apt get is already installed in Raspbian and most distros. What problem are you having?
It's already installed, then why do most sites/forms say that I need to Install it?
You probably misunderstood. Give a link to what you are talking about.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

chexbox

Fri May 13, 2016 9:50 pm

klricks wrote:
chexbox wrote:
mrpi64 wrote:If the game has a *apt-get* after it, that means that it can be installed using "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install GAMENAME", replacing GAMENAME with the name of the game. The name can be found with an 'apt-cache search GAMENAME' search, using keywords. For example, for 'Flight of the Amazon Queen', you could try 'apt-cache search flight of the amazon queen', although some games may require something a bit more less wordy :-). Or use a search engine like DuckDuckGo (I'm not advertising, it's just my preference :D. Plus, it looks pretty awesome with the terminal theme)
That's one example!

stderr

Fri May 13, 2016 10:40 pm

chexbox wrote:
klricks wrote:
chexbox wrote: It's already installed, then why do most sites/forms say that I need to Install it?
mrpi64 wrote:If the game has a *apt-get* after it, that means that it can be installed using "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install GAMENAME", replacing GAMENAME with the name of the game. The name can be found with an 'apt-cache search GAMENAME' search, using keywords. For example, for 'Flight of the Amazon Queen', you could try 'apt-cache search flight of the amazon queen', although some games may require something a bit more less wordy :-). Or use a search engine like DuckDuckGo (I'm not advertising, it's just my preference :D. Plus, it looks pretty awesome with the terminal theme)
That's one example!
It's an example of someone telling you to use apt-get to install something on your computer, it isn't someone telling you to install apt-get on your computer.

kryptalivian

Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Lets say I want to install the sims and the name of the package is sims. I would use the command sudo apt-get install sims.

klricks

Tue May 17, 2016 9:24 pm

kryptalivian wrote:Lets say I want to install the sims and the name of the package is sims. I would use the command sudo apt-get install sims.
Yes but don't forget to do sudo apt-get update before attempting to install anything (within the same day or so).
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Gaming”