Prerunnerseth

My DMG-01 Gameboy Zero Build - Custom PCBs

Fri May 06, 2016 11:28 pm

I was inspired by the many Game Boy Zero builds on You Tube, but one in particular where the user used an original Game boy cart to house the micro SD card. I give the user props for a good functioning build, but with my ability to design PCBs and some more knowledge about getting hardware working I set out to build my own. My project is all working in prototype form except for the audio at this point because i didn't buy an audio amp board for prototyping.

What I did is design a set of custom PCBs to replace the original GB PCBs and clean up the project significantly. Even though i was capable of designing the battery charger and audio amp circuits myself, I took the lazy route and leveraged some readily available designs from Adafruit and copied the Layout and schematics into my project.

Specs,

Original Game Boy DMG-01 Case.
Custom Main PCB
Custom Cart PCB
Custom Button PCB with extra X - Y buttons.
Adafruit 3.2" SPI TFT screen
Mono 2.5W amplifier Circuit
2000mA hour LiPo Battery
Battery Charger circuit

Main PCB

Holds the Pi Zero in a cut out in the middle of the board. Bridges the Connections over to the Cart header for the Mircro SD card. Also bridges the required pins from the GPIO to the screen header. Has Micro USB port for charging. Has USB-A port for external devices. Holds the battery charger circuit and audio amp circuit. I will be using the basic PWM out gpio pin for audio. the audio on these games are pretty crude anyways. The battery connector sticks through one of the openings in the battery compartment with some modification to the opening. I decided not to try to bring out the HDMI port as it would have been very complicated and using a SPI screen the output of the HDMI is the same very low resolution of the built in screen. I am also using the extra GPIO pins for the buttons instead of using a USB device like the teensy. this eliminates the need for a USB hub if you want a USB port on the outside.

Cart PCB
replaces the cart board with a custom board that holds the Micro SD card. Replaces the card edge connector with a female 0.1 pin header. I will post pictures of the board layout software, but the actual implementation will become more clear once I have the boards on monday.

Button PCB
There were existing options for the DMG-01, but they only had A and B buttons, I used the super game girl board at first for prototyping, but it wasnt really designed for the DMG GB even though it was based on the original 2 button PCB--ABXY button pads didn't line up. I decided to make my own board specifically for the DMG GB with the extra X and Y buttons. I am selling the extra boards on Ebay. I received them today and have pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231974209588?ss ... 1555.l2649

Pictures and video.

Video of GPIO mapped buttons and Adafruit screen working in Prototype form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM_RlXi ... e=youtu.be

Main board and Cart board Panelized (Layout Software screen shot)

Button Board PCB
Last edited by Prerunnerseth on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sabont

Re: My DMG-01 Gameboy Zero Build - Custom PCBs

Tue May 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Can you please send me a link when you have those extra boards listed on eBay? I need them! Haha

toiletpaper69

Wed May 11, 2016 1:02 am

I could seriously use this PCB button board right now. I'm currently working with the supergamegirl board right now trying to modify my DMG-01 to work with it. If your ready to sell I'm ready to buy.

Djinny

Wed May 11, 2016 2:03 am

Those common ground boards are beautiful. I was hoping to find 6 button ones myself. better for genesis and n64 games. But that's just me. ^_^
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.
I would very much so like to see a Pi2/Pi3 Zero, power and size.

Higgy

Wed May 11, 2016 7:06 am

Cool work 8-)

Prerunnerseth

Tue May 17, 2016 6:23 pm

Sorry ... Hope you guys found them. Here is the progress update.

Got my main boards in today. I would say I am 99% done. Need to get the top of the case secured. I have some Audio noise. and still waiting on my 1mm acrylic to make a replacement for the original screen cover.

I'm in the progress of a version 2 that will use the original game boy card edge connector.

You Tube.
https://youtu.be/BskqoTokUm0

Raw PCBs

Cart Micro SD board

Mainboard mostly built

Screen and Pi mounted to main board

Cart Connected to header for testing

Battery compartment with 2000mAh LiPo

Main everything mounted in the back part of the case

Pi mounted to Main Board

TonyD

Wed May 18, 2016 1:53 pm

looking good :-)

What you using for the DC boost regulator and LiPo charger?
Tony

Djinny

Thu May 19, 2016 4:23 pm

That looks amazing. I love the work you did on those boards.

If you use a dremel, some snips and some pliers you can free up a bit more space in the battery compartment.
You might be able to find a small, but thick li-po battery.. I see no reason why a 4,000 mAh battery wouldn't fit in the battery compartment. Pi zero at full speed + the LCD and any audio amplification you might have going on, you might not get a lot of play life from the current battery.
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.
I would very much so like to see a Pi2/Pi3 Zero, power and size.

blc

Fri May 20, 2016 1:00 pm

That's fantastic work :).

At the moment I'm hacking up a Wii U Game Pad shell and mounting a PiZero + screen inside, but once I'm done with that I'm planning to take on a more custom project. I really want to do something with the Compute Module; yes it's somewhat slower than the Zero but the CM3 is on it's way. A Pi3 in a Pi Zero form factor is quite an exciting prospect; plus it'll be a good challenge in terms of PCB design/build.

Couple of things:

Have you thought about eliminating the carrier board for that screen you're using? It looks like a SPI-based screen which piggybacks onto the GPIO connector (Adafruit PiTFT or similar). Since you're clearly not afraid of some fine-pitch solder work, have you considered mounting that screen directly to a custom PCB and adding a 50-pin FFC connector? If it's an Adafruit screen (or a clone) then their schematics are available to download, and thus reverse engineer :). From what I gather, you can pretty much drive the screen directly from the Pi SPI pins without needing the carrier board (with the right kernel overlay). You'll lose touch screen but that might not be an issue in a portable game unit.

Can you embed lower-res images and link to the high-res versions please? I use the "large thumbnail" link on imgur - e.g.: https://i.imgur.com/16VjMZol.jpg instead of https://i.imgur.com/16VjMZo.jpg. The "Prosilver" forum theme chokes on high-res images and embedded high res images make pages take a long time to load for those on a slow connection. Not a problem for me personally, but it is for some out there. :)

Prerunnerseth

Fri May 20, 2016 2:43 pm

TonyD wrote:looking good :-)

What you using for the DC boost regulator and LiPo charger?
Currently I have integrated the Adafruit 1000C into my main board. I'm working on version 2 as well as a standalone board the integrates the capabilities of the 1000c , but adds complete power control. The power controller sends an interrupt to the Pi to tell it to shut down. once shut down the Pi tells the controller to go ahead and cut power. V2 of my main board and a stand alone manager/charger/boost board have already been ordered. Here is a youtube demonstrating the power control circuit function in prototype mode. My board works with either a switch or pushbutton and has the ability to shut down without a command from the Pi in the case where the pi is frozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UhFUvtndwE

AbeEstrada

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm willing to open an ebay account to just buy this custom PCBs

FerociousRPi

Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:25 am

Any updates on the new custom PCB?

Shadow Link

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:19 pm

AbeEstrada wrote:I ordered this custom PCB https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/EZmk5m2A
Ah, guess I was too late to see this. Kitsch-Bent sells all kinds of Gameboy mod parts including PiZero boards:

ABXY PCB - Common Ground version
ABXY PCB - i2c version

They also sell the Micro SD cartridge adapters for anyone wanting to be fancy :)

Return to “Gaming”