welshy

DAPHNE EMU - Arcade; LaserDisc

Thu May 05, 2016 12:11 pm

DAPHNE: Arcade; LaserDisc - Dragon's Lair, Space Ace etc.
"Dragon's Lair, the fantasy Adventure where you control the actions of a valiant Knight on a quest to save the Princess from the clutches of an evil Dragon"

To ANYBODY who frequented Arcades in the early 80s, that usually sends a Shiver Down the Spine! Although not actually the first LaserDisc Title, a Prototype Sega Astron Belt debued at an Arcade Trade Show first, or the most financially successful when 'Coin Drop' (the amount of money taken by the Cabinets) is included, that would be Gottlieb's M.A.C.H 3, being the first to market created a media storm. Looking unlike anything seen previously, with Disney Quality Animation* as it's Graphics instead of abstract bit-mapped pixels or vectors, it garnered additional mainstream interest in Video Games which was at already reaching its peak in 1983, prior to the 'Video Game Crash'. Such was its popularity to casual viewers, many Arcades added an additional Monitor on top of the Cabinet so others could watch active games being played. With a game dynamic now described as 'QTE' (Quick Time Events), such was it's impact that it is currently one of the Video Games, along with Pong and Pac-Man, displayed at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

* Not surprising as it was produced by ex Disney Animator and Director Don Bluth who's Studios who were later responsible for animated Films An American Tail, Anastasia and Titan A.E. (if you haven't seen Titan A.E I highly recommend checking it out, although a MASSIVE FLOP on release which caused the closure of Fox Animation Studio's it is now heralded as one of the best Animated Films EVER!).

Matt Oweby and his Team created the LaserDisc Emulator Daphne which runs Dragon's Lair as well as well as many other Titles. Building on the Source Code, user shmoopty has produced a Pi2/3 Fork daphne-pi which is now available or can be added to SD Card Image RetroPie (from the 'Experimental' section of the RetroPie Set-Up Menu).

Source Code Download Link - https://github.com/Shmoopty/daphne-pi
RetroPie Set-Up Wiki - https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Daphne
Dragon's Lair Attract Screen Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2ZE7XDtO0

"Lead on adventurer, your quest awaits"
Last edited by welshy on Fri May 13, 2016 6:34 am, edited 6 times in total.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

shadowbyte

Re: DAPHNE EMU - Arcade; LaserDisc

Fri May 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Installed this with Dragon's Lair and Space Ace last weekend. Works well.

welshy

Sat May 07, 2016 4:58 pm

shadowbyte
Yup, works surprisingly well, I have a few Titles running. Pretty Cool Huh? Dragon's Lair, on the Pi!

scruss

Sat May 07, 2016 8:23 pm

This is very lovely, and impressive, too.
… or the most financially successful
You bet. This would be the first time I'd be playing it, as it was far too expensive when I was a teen. What was it, something like ₤1 a game? I could have had 10 games of Joust, Sinistar or Moon Cresta for that kind of cash.

But then, I was always more about the kind of fantasy Adventure where you control the actions of a valiant Dragon on the quest to save the Knight from the clutches of an evil Princess.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

welshy

Sun May 08, 2016 12:51 pm

scruss
It wasn't the cost per play, most of the LaserDisc Titles were 50p/Credit (in the UK) as apposed to 10p due to the expense of the Cabinet's purchase price for Arcade owners, but there is an interesting technical reason M.A.C.H 3 was more profitable than Dragon's Lair.
LaserDisc technology was notoriously brittle in an Arcade environment, they were never designed for the constant mechanical searching/movement of the Laser across the Disc required in Titles such as Dragon's Lair leading to faulty players* and continual 'Out of Order' cabinets.
M.A.C.H 3's LaserDisc usage was more forgiving, Video was just streamed as a backdrop for foreground Bitmaps. This being the case it was more reliable, leading to increased availability of the Cab's, thus better returns for Arcade Operators.

* This exact same issue would affect the Mk1 SEGA/MEGA CD, which is why its fairly expensive for Retro Collectors to acquire due to the limited amount of working Units now available.

Vanfanel

Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 pm

whelsy, save me some time, please:
-Does it use the bit-rotten SDL1.x ibs?
-Does it have X11 dependencies?

welshy

Tue May 10, 2016 6:22 am

Vanfanel
Looks like its built with libvldp2/libvorbis-dev for the LaserDisc Video/Audio Files and libglew-dev for the rendered.

leiptrstormr

Sat May 21, 2016 5:56 pm

scruss wrote:This is very lovely, and impressive, too.
… or the most financially successful
You bet. This would be the first time I'd be playing it, as it was far too expensive when I was a teen. What was it, something like ₤1 a game? I could have had 10 games of Joust, Sinistar or Moon Cresta for that kind of cash.

But then, I was always more about the kind of fantasy Adventure where you control the actions of a valiant Dragon on the quest to save the Knight from the clutches of an evil Princess.
Absolutely! I remember when it cost $1 here in the states. I think I played it in the arcades once becuase it was so expensive and difficult. When it came out for SegaCD my friend and I rented it at Blockbuster on the weekend and attempted to play through. I'm glad we were at the other end of the house from my parents that night because the expletives were flying left and right. It was obvioulsy no match for the arcade version, but we didn't care. :)

Return to “Gaming”