Ryno4

Re: Installing Retropie straight to RPi?

Mon May 02, 2016 1:52 am

Dude, I figured out the BIOS files and it works!

Im playing Skies of Arcadia right now!

Thank you so much for your longstanding support. 10,000 dude points to you! :D

Malman35

Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 am

Ryno4 wrote:Dude, I figured out the BIOS files and it works!

Im playing Skies of Arcadia right now!

Thank you so much for your longstanding support. 10,000 dude points to you! :D
Great! I'm glad you got it figured out! Thanks for the dude points. :lol: You deserve some to for figureing out how to get the BIOS working. :D

Ryno4

Mon May 02, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks. I just stumbled across it and it worked.

I've figured out to how to use the files marked as .zip, but all of the older consoles are .htm and .7z. I seems that anything that I find zipped are working. It usually the bigger games.

I can get final fantasy to work but not super Mario! Haha

Malman35

Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 am

Ryno4 wrote:Thanks. I just stumbled across it and it worked.

I've figured out to how to use the files marked as .zip, but all of the older consoles are .htm and .7z. I seems that anything that I find zipped are working. It usually the bigger games.

I can get final fantasy to work but not super Mario! Haha
Try downloading the game from different rom sites. If you can find one in the right file format for that enulator then it should work. I've gotten lots of super Mario games working from Mario on nes to Mario on N64.

Ryno4

Tue May 03, 2016 11:46 am

Ok i will try it. All of the other console files are working apart from the SNES, but I'll look at other sites.

I was wondering whether you can set up a portable console. My idea is that you can hook up a 7" monitor, a power pack for power supply and an onscreen keyboard and mouse to input commands. If this was possible, you would only need to take a controller and you would have a portable console. Do you think this could be possible?

Malman35

Wed May 04, 2016 12:07 am

Ryno4 wrote:I was wondering whether you can set up a portable console. My idea is that you can hook up a 7" monitor, a power pack for power supply and an onscreen keyboard and mouse to input commands. If this was possible, you would only need to take a controller and you would have a portable console. Do you think this could be possible?
Portable consels are possible. You don't nessisarily need an on screen keyboard and mouse because you could set it up to automatically start emulationstation at boot. Then all you would need is a keyboard or some USB game controllers to control the game.
I have 2 usb SNES controllers that I use for my portable consel (it is not quite portable yet because I don't have a battery pack).

IceBolt

Wed May 04, 2016 8:30 pm

This method should update (current wheezy) - with a 7inch touch screen build - @SainSMART
to allow retro to install RetroPie, . . .

with the 'drivers' needed for 'this screen', - does it dual boot or simply add retropie ?

Ryno4

Thu May 05, 2016 8:46 pm

All of these ideas are helping me out together a plan.

In thinking of getting an old console she'll, perhaps a SNES. they grey panel in the middle could be hinged, and flip back to reveal a screen. You can by micro keyboards that you could slit in there, get a power pack that will fit.

Just an idea. There may not be enough room

Malman35

Thu May 05, 2016 8:51 pm

Ryno4 wrote:All of these ideas are helping me out together a plan.

In thinking of getting an old console she'll, perhaps a SNES. they grey panel in the middle could be hinged, and flip back to reveal a screen. You can by micro keyboards that you could slit in there, get a power pack that will fit.

Just an idea. There may not be enough room
Cool idea! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

mayerk1989

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:53 pm

same problem, says i have 13 games available on the main retropie home screen, configured my ps3 controller correctly, installed n64 rom and transferred mario kart 64.zip over to the correct folder (/Retropie/roms/n64) but still no games or emulator show up on retropie. Noob Question :(

mayerk1989

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:55 pm

nevermind, restarted pi and it showed up :lol: :lol:

Jam1t1c

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:18 am

Hi, ive been following this thread and i think its helped, but im stuck.

I have bought a 4inch LCD screen to attach to my raspberry pie 3, it requires me to use the image that came with the screen for the screen to work. ive tried to install the screen drivers to a working image of Retropie but i couldnt get it to work, so i thought i would use the image that came with the screen and install retropie to it using your method.

Ive followed all your steps but when i boot the RP3 up it loads into Debian and when i tried to load retropie by entering emulationstation i get the "X is running. Please shut down X in order to mitigate problems with losing keyboard input. For example, logout from LXDE." message, i cant uninstall lightdm because i believe i need it for the screen to work.

Is there anyway i can stop Debian from loading and it just boots straght into retropie?

Hope this makes sense and i hope you can help...

Thanks

Jamie

Malman35

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Jam1t1c wrote:Hi, ive been following this thread and i think its helped, but im stuck.

I have bought a 4inch LCD screen to attach to my raspberry pie 3, it requires me to use the image that came with the screen for the screen to work. ive tried to install the screen drivers to a working image of Retropie but i couldnt get it to work, so i thought i would use the image that came with the screen and install retropie to it using your method.

Ive followed all your steps but when i boot the RP3 up it loads into Debian and when i tried to load retropie by entering emulationstation i get the "X is running. Please shut down X in order to mitigate problems with losing keyboard input. For example, logout from LXDE." message, i cant uninstall lightdm because i believe i need it for the screen to work.

Is there anyway i can stop Debian from loading and it just boots straght into retropie?

Hope this makes sense and i hope you can help...

Thanks

Jamie
If you enter this in the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
then you will get a menu. The 3rd option says Boot options. Go down to that (you have to use the arrow keys and enter) then select it (press enter). You will then be given 4 options like this

B1 Console           Text console, requiring user to login                                
B2 Console           Autologin Text console, automatically logged in as 'pi' user                      
B3 Desktop           Desktop GUI, requiring user to login                                     
B4 Desktop           Autologin Desktop GUI, automatically logged in as 'pi' user
Select the first or second one depending on what you want. Select finish (it is near the bottom). then reboot. It should now boot into the text console not the desktop. Also it would help if you told me exactly what screen you're using. What company made it? Also I could be wrong but I don't think lightdm has anything to do with making your screen run. Hope this helps.

Jam1t1c

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply, I have done what you have said and now it loads up properly when I type in emulationstation like you said,

how do I get it to boot straight in to RetroPie?

The lcd only shows a blinking_ and the RetroPie screen is pushed to the hdmi, how do I set it to be on the lcd screen.

http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/4inch_RPi_LCD_(A)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00YE0 ... UTF8&psc=1

The above is a link to the screen purchased.

Malman35

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:32 pm

Jam1t1c wrote:Hi, thanks for the reply, I have done what you have said and now it loads up properly when I type in emulationstation like you said,

how do I get it to boot straight in to RetroPie?

The lcd only shows a blinking_ and the RetroPie screen is pushed to the hdmi, how do I set it to be on the lcd screen.

http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/4inch_RPi_LCD_(A)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00YE0 ... UTF8&psc=1

The above is a link to the screen purchased.
Sorry for the late reply (I've been reeeealllly busy!). Anyways were you ever able to see emulationstation on the screen? And if not did you follow these instuctions http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/4inch_RPi_LCD_(A). It looked to me like there was instructions on there to getting you screen set up. Sorry if I'm not being much of a help. :roll:

About booting straight into emulationstation try this.

cd
sudo nano ~/.bash_profile
#type emulationstation into the file and save

If I remember right that way should work.

Jam1t1c

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Hiya, I tried everything on the waveshare website but it didn't work with RetroPie, the screen works with the image you get with it. I added some code that duplicates the hdmi feed and forces it through the lcd screen which is great but now it's dead show, I think it's to slow to play with.

Do you have any suggestions of another way to do this?

Thanks

Malman35

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Jam1t1c wrote:Hiya, I tried everything on the waveshare website but it didn't work with RetroPie, the screen works with the image you get with it. I added some code that duplicates the hdmi feed and forces it through the lcd screen which is great but now it's dead show, I think it's to slow to play with.

Do you have any suggestions of another way to do this?

Thanks
I'm sorry I really don't know what to do. I dont have one of those screens so I can't test things. Could someone please help Jam1t1c out here? Sorry I can't be much of a help. I wish you the best at trying to get it working.

Jam1t1c

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:23 pm

No problem, your posts have been loads of help already :P

Malman35

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:25 pm

Jam1t1c wrote:No problem, your posts have been loads of help already :P

bradwolf

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:33 am

It will ask how you want to install but I suggest you just select the "binary based" installation. It will take a bit of time (about 30 min.) so just sit back and play a game on your phone or something. ;)

i was following this thread today to install retropie. At this point of the install there was no option for binary based installation. i chose what appeared to be the only viable option which was Basic Install. was this a mistake? im now having trouble at the welcome gamepad detected screen

Malman35

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:02 am

bradwolf wrote:
MalMan35 wrote:It will ask how you want to install but I suggest you just select the "binary based" installation. It will take a bit of time (about 30 min.) so just sit back and play a game on your phone or something. ;)
i was following this thread today to install retropie. At this point of the install there was no option for binary based installation. i chose what appeared to be the only viable option which was Basic Install. was this a mistake? im now having trouble at the welcome gamepad detected screen
Yes I have noticed this too! However I don't believe it is any different. I have installed it several times since it has changed and it has worked fine. If anybody has more info on this change could you please let me know.

What kind of trouble might you be having? Could you explain yourself more? What kind of error are you having? Do you have any roms in any folders?

GSeve4

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 am

Hi, i am having a problem with the GitHub login when doing basic installation. When it asks for a username and password

Username for 'https;//github.com':
and

Password for 'https://gseve4@github.com':
I enter my login info and then it outputs an error. Is there something I'm missing?

Aaronh1007

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:53 pm

hello
After typing in

sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
this came up
Sorry - Raspbian/Debian Stretch (and newer) is not yet supported on the RPI

Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)
Release: 9.4
Codename: stretch
should I do somthing

Return to “Gaming”