Furyio

Idea for a personal project

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi all,

I was an early adopter of the Raspberry PI a few years back, and have to say it has spent most of its time gathering dust. I bought it to use as a download manager, and it seemed incapable of doing that.

Then I had it running as a XBMC machine plugged into my TV and it was terrible at that.

So I want to dust off my pi and start putting it to some use. Thinking about what I could conceivably make, aligned with my interests I've stumbled onto a personal project related to World of Warcraft.

I want to build a personal gear tracker. This tool, will advise my Best in Slot items and some details about them. I know there are current existing things that can do this, but its a personal interest and an option to do some learning.

I'll outline by saying I'm a total novice here. My only exposure is to SQL. Here is my basic off the cuff idea of what's involved. And I'd greatly appreciate some guidance in how to go about doing this. I'm starting from scratch, and want to go till the end.

I'm hoping to learn things like some basic coding and integration etc.
  • Database to store data I will manually insert
    Personal Web Portal/web page, to retrieve and display this data
    Creating potentially snazzy website for my own personal view
    "Possible" API integration with the Blizzard Armoury
    Able for me to remote access the PI(think I have this covered with SSH)
so recommendations and guidance is welcome
  • What programming language would you recommend, to a total beginner to achieve this?
    What Database structures are available on the Rpi?
    Is my personal project feasible?
    Can this all be done on the SD card(8GB and some larger ones) or will I need an external HDD?
Raspberry Pi Debian Squeeze
IRC channels : #raspi.ie #d3.ie #att #airsofter.ie

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Idea for a personal project

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:47 pm

Furyio wrote: recommendations and guidance is welcome
  • What programming language would you recommend, to a total beginner to achieve this?
    What Database structures are available on the Rpi?
    Is my personal project feasible?
    Can this all be done on the SD card(8GB and some larger ones) or will I need an external HDD?
If you're serious; sounds like your PI might be a bit outdated for what you want to do... get yourself a PI 3B --- its fast, its got built-in connectivity, its quad core, and it will actually be able to do what you're after.

Python is the language of choice; end of story. Use Python3 (its built-in to Jessie Raspbian) and get yourself a good Programming with Python3 book. Learning this language is the future of programming in the first half of the 21st century; seriously.

Yes, your project is feasible.

Use MySQL and Python3. You can get MySQL and the Python libraries from the repositories:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mysql-server python-mysqldb
Get yourself a minimum of 16GB card, and find yourself an external HDD.

Hope that helps, and best of luck !

marcus
marcus
:ugeek:

Furyio

Re: Idea for a personal project

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Cheers man thanks!

Don't think I'll pick up the latest PI, my current one just gathered dust so I don't want to buy another knowing I'll barely use it.

I'll give it a lash on my current setup and sure if it tanks it tanks, atleast I'm putting it to use.

Python sounds like a good shout, so at a minimum its something I can toy around with.

Thanks for the advice :)
Raspberry Pi Debian Squeeze
IRC channels : #raspi.ie #d3.ie #att #airsofter.ie

Return to “Gaming”