FFSamurai05

Locally installing STEAM OS and STEAM Games

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:06 am

Greetings and thanks for answering my query. I'm currently retrofitting an Atari 2600 to act as a Steam machine so that I can locally install 8-, 16-, and 32- bit games onto it. Things like the Atari Vault, Towerful Ascension, Pacman CE, Guacamelee, and similar style games are the kinds I plan on playing on this machine. I plan on using an ORICO SuperSpeed USB3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 & 3.5 Inches HDD & SSD in order to install a 250 GB hard drive onto the system as I heard that it's the only way to go about it so memory isn't the issue I'm curious about.

Now I posted a similar forum topic in the Atari Age forums and heard from one of their users that it might be possible to install STEAM OS and the games I mentioned locally on a raspberry pi. As I heard STEAM OS does not supporting an ARM architecture I wanted to ask you guys before I spent 45 bucks on a new raspberry pi. Do you guys know if that's possible and if so, how I can go about doing it? Thanks very much for reading and I hope you have a good one.

Hiradur

Re: Locally installing STEAM OS and STEAM Games

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 am

Unless Steam explicitly states ARM as a compatible platform it won't work. But even then almost all games wouldn't work because they'd have to be compiled for ARM as well which I don't think they are. Your best bet on ARM are open-source games and emulators.

ghans

Re: Locally installing STEAM OS and STEAM Games

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 am

Neither Steam OS nor most games on Steam support ARMv6/ARMv7
hardfloat. Your project is not possible with a Pi.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Gaming”