obsidiankitteh

My latest project - rPi3 powered RPG Digital Map Table

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:51 am

http://imgur.com/gallery/klsih

Pi3 running Ubuntu MATE, Using firefox to point to roll20.net

Table acts as a player client and DM runs the game off any host computer.

I would love to get some help developing the software to automatically boot into firefox (or any html5 browser that can handle roll20.net) and bypass the desktop all together.

This is one of our prototype tables, we are developing 2 different table top units that you can use on a coffee table or dinner table. hoping to find a way to get interest drummed up and thought you guys might like it.

karrika

Re: My latest project - rPi3 powered RPG Digital Map Table

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:11 am

This is really amazing. I had never heard about this roll20.net technology before. A combination of minitures and creating the game board by a computer is simply brilliant!

I really hope someone puts up a game like this at the next RopeCon conference https://2016.ropecon.fi/fi/etusivu-ropecon-2016/. I would LOVE to play a round to try this out. :o

Koeshi

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:46 am

I love this idea, very cool.

Information on auto-running programs can be found here: http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi ... ograms-gui

Then you can just set your browser to open straight to the page you want by default.

You may want to replace your desktop environment with a window manager for performance reasons if you have any issues in that area. I don't know what the options are like in this area for the Pi but I assume there will be several.

Jessie

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:27 pm

That is pretty sexy. I've been playing D&D for many years and I always wondered when someone would come up with one of these. One good option with a table like that would be to have a remote player on the map. Nothing sucks worse than having to stop mid adventure for a friend to get deployed to a war zone.

obsidiankitteh

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:43 pm

Jessie wrote:That is pretty sexy. I've been playing D&D for many years and I always wondered when someone would come up with one of these. One good option with a table like that would be to have a remote player on the map. Nothing sucks worse than having to stop mid adventure for a friend to get deployed to a war zone.
Thats one of the great things about using roll20! its very easy for friends to join our game, they get to control their token and we use skype to video chat (the rpi cant really use the integrated webcam chat in roll20) setting up a small monitor and webcam in their would-be seat.

It also makes it easy to have a guest DM for a session or two from 300 miles away!

Return to “Gaming”