hansolo77

Re: Gamestarter: Retrogaming addon

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:54 pm

Hard to say really. It might be the "core" (emulator) you're using. With MegaDrive, I have better luck with PicoDrive over GenesisPlusGX. I noticed on some games that certain sounds just weren't made (like the guy saying "FIRE!" when I had a target lock for missiles in Afterburner II). As for N64, the emulation for that system is actually pretty poor, and not really worth it. Most of the games are available on the PSX, and the PCSX ReARMed core works perfectly. You'll just be missing out on Nintendo only releases, like Mario, Donkey Kong, etc. But honestly, you're better off not worrying about it. You can barely get decent playing of N64 with a superpowered PC and the latest greatest emulator, let alone a Pi. The same is true for Atari Jaguar. You can't even use sound if you want playability at all on that!

So yeah, I can't really help much, sorry about that. It boils down to a problem with the core 99% of the time, and that 1% being a misconfigured setting somewhere. Unless you've gone into the audio/video settings of RetroArch, it should be working as expected. A nice thing you can always do is make a backup copy of your RetroArch.cfg file and try deleting the original. The next time you launch RetroArch it'll recreate a new one with the default (working) settings. If it didn't fix anything, just replace it with your backup.

lotsacaffeine

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:05 pm

How on earth do you get sound from the games?

I've tried configuring retroarch as ALSA, ALSATHREAD...with each of the sinc, CC and nearest settings. Still...nothing but silent games.

Am I missing something here?

I have the following...

Raspberry Pi3 w/ 32GB SanDisk SD Card
OpenElec 6.95.3.7.0 (kernel: Linux 4.4.8)
Kodi 16.1 Git:60a76d9 / May 1, 2016
Advanced Launcher 2.5.8
Gamestarter 2.2.0
hackles 0.0.1
RetroArch 1.3.6 (the best that I can tell...)

Thanks in advance,
Bill

hansolo77

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:40 pm

Starting from scratch, fresh/clean install, it worked "out of the box". Not sure what you're doing wrong. Do you get sound out of Kodi? Make sure you do! How are you outputting? I'm using an HDMI cable directly into my AVR (into a TV would work too if you get audio out from it).

lotsacaffeine

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:45 pm

hansolo77 wrote:Starting from scratch, fresh/clean install, it worked "out of the box". Not sure what you're doing wrong. Do you get sound out of Kodi? Make sure you do! How are you outputting? I'm using an HDMI cable directly into my AVR (into a TV would work too if you get audio out from it).
Actually, I did a fresh install this morning. Installed nothing but the game pieces. I'm connected to an ASUS monitor via HDMI and I have the analog jack on the RPi3 connected to amplified speakers. Kodi produces sounds perfectly.

What are the "default" audio settings in your retroarch.cfg file?

I've been using "Combat" from the Atari2600 (Stella 3.9.3) as a test unit...just FYI. Yeah, that old tank game. :)

lotsacaffeine

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Thought I'd add a couple screenshots...
IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg (18.88 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
IMG_0714.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg (18.01 KiB) Viewed 2869 times

hansolo77

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:42 pm

I'm not sure how to get sound out of the audio jack inside RetroArch. I've always just used the HDMI interface. Maybe somebody else can help with that. Sorry :(

Higgy

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:43 am

You should be able to force sound via the sudo raspi-config.

Although I have found it best to purchase a £2 USB soundcard and have the sound going via this (avoids crackles and the like).
I go this route because I generally use PC monitors for my bartop arcades and either use HDMI-VGA convertors or DVI if available.

flatmax

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:32 pm

There is also a partial list of great GPIO sound cards available here :
http://elinux.org/index.php?title=RPi_E ... ards#Sound
Zero sound card for the Pi - live now on kickstarter : http://kck.st/2rwkQMH
Sound card for the Raspberry Pi with inbuilt microphone : http://www.audioinjector.net
Audio Inector Octo multitrack GPIO sound card : http://www.audioinjector.net

bite_your_idols

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 am

Just saying some days ago I released latest v2.5 with some structural changes and some new features, you can take a look:
https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Game ... es/tag/2.5

Perky2016

Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:42 am

I have Open Elec 6 running Kodi and have installed Gamestarter and RetroArch fine.
I have then configured EmulationStation to run instead of Retroarch, however it does not boot into emulationstation.
The screen has a blank window in Kodi for a few seconds then goes back to Kodi home screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

bite_your_idols

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:06 am

Perky2016 wrote:I have Open Elec 6 running Kodi and have installed Gamestarter and RetroArch fine.
I have then configured EmulationStation to run instead of Retroarch, however it does not boot into emulationstation.
The screen has a blank window in Kodi for a few seconds then goes back to Kodi main screen.

Officially ES is not supported in OpenELEC 6... The best option for you is to update to OpenELEC/LibreELEC 7. Anyways there is a messy way to make it work in OE6 but requieres some system lib hack.

1- install gamemaker ports from addon settings (it will include hacklib addon)
2- remove all content inside /storage/lib, /storage/lib_off and /storage/emulators/roms/ports
3- place this libs into /storage/libs/ https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Game ... ibs_OE6.7z
4- reboot

Perky2016

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:38 pm

bite_your_idols wrote:
Perky2016 wrote:I have Open Elec 6 running Kodi and have installed Gamestarter and RetroArch fine.
The screen has a blank window in Kodi for a few seconds then goes back to Kodi main screen.

Officially ES is not supported in OpenELEC 6... The best option for you is to update to OpenELEC/LibreELEC 7. Anyways there is a messy way to make it work in OE6 but requieres some system lib hack.

1- install gamemaker ports from addon settings (it will include hacklib addon)
2- remove all content inside /storage/lib, /storage/lib_off and /storage/emulators/roms/ports
3- place this libs into /storage/libs/ https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Game ... ibs_OE6.7z
4- reboot
Thanks, I will give this a go and let you know.

bite_your_idols

Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Gamestarter v2.6 released:

Code: Select all

- imame4all and snes cores renamed.
- EmulationStation themes optional installation from settings.
- Libretro ports optional installation from settings.
- Experimental Libretro cores optional installation from settings.
- RetroArch and its assets updated.
- Advanced Emulator Launcher updated to v0.9.4.
- Wonderswan core included and some cores updated.
- Sample/demo roms removed.
- Gamestarter splash screen.
- Emulationstation theme mod: Simple-nodata.
- Retroarch menu combo key: L1+R1+select+start
- Minor updates, bug fixes and code debugging.
https://goo.gl/MyeLn9

enjoy!

Forumkel

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:38 am

Just installed 2.6 from scratch (LibreELEC 7.90.009) and I have no sound.
aplay -l / -L says there are no cards / devices.
Tried alsa driver, pulseaudio and SDL. Nothing works.
Sound in LibreELEC however works fine (HDMI output).

bite_your_idols

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Forumkel wrote:Just installed 2.6 from scratch (LibreELEC 7.90.009) and I have no sound.
you can try this:
https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Game ... /issues/39

Autoholic

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:42 am

I was wondering, if you already have RetroPie with Kodi added, is there any real reason to go with this?
~Joe
"Autoholism is an incurable addiction medicated daily"

bite_your_idols

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:12 am

Autoholic wrote:I was wondering, if you already have RetroPie with Kodi added, is there any real reason to go with this?
If you have retropie, you are using raspbian, so you can not install this addon, it is only for Libre/OpenELEC.

This is recommend for people using raspberry as media center as main use because libreelec boots faster, has kodi updates, and is more stable. On the other hand retropie has a couple of additional, not so common, emulators.

Forumkel

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 am

bite_your_idols wrote:
Forumkel wrote:Just installed 2.6 from scratch (LibreELEC 7.90.009) and I have no sound.
you can try this:
https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Game ... /issues/39
I tried a hundred things and what made it work in the end was a simple reboot :evil: I still don't know why exactly...
However the 2010 SNES emulator has choppy audio. The 2005 version works fine. Also tried lots of suggestions I could find in the Internet. Well, as long as the 2005 version works everything is fine.

basisPx

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:18 pm

okay. thanks I must try it

3dh

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:16 am

Google translator:
Is it possible to emulate Atari Paddle in stella emulator on my gamepad analog stick?
How to add/run Atari 7800 emulator?

Thanks
---
RPi2, LibreELEC 7.0.3, Gamestarter 2.7

bite_your_idols

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:21 pm

3dh wrote:Google translator:
Is it possible to emulate Atari Paddle in stella emulator on my gamepad analog stick?
How to add/run Atari 7800 emulator?

Thanks
---
RPi2, LibreELEC 7.0.3, Gamestarter 2.7

You should ask your Paddle question in its github repo since I really have no idea: https://github.com/libretro/stella-libretro

Atari 7800 emulator it is included, it the libretro prosystem core. You can launch it using retroarch. If you preffer Advanced Launcher or emulationstation you should create a new category for this system manually.

3dh

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Atari 7800 emulator (prosystem) works, thanks.

I checked the "Robotron 2084", this specific game is for two joysticks. I set everything, but I can not save these settings. Maybe you know how to save controllers settings for a specific game?

bite_your_idols

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:39 pm

3dh wrote:Atari 7800 emulator (prosystem) works, thanks.

I checked the "Robotron 2084", this specific game is for two joysticks. I set everything, but I can not save these settings. Maybe you know how to save controllers settings for a specific game?
As I can see in libretro wiki, that core doesn't support core options: https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=ProSystem

So I am afraid you can't...

3dh

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Actually, I can. I had to add a cfg file of the game (Robotron2084.cfg) and manually add something like this:

Code: Select all

input_player2_joypad_index = "0"
input_player1_up_axis = "-1"
input_player1_down_axis = "+1"
input_player1_left_axis = "-0"
input_player1_right_axis = "+0"
input_player2_up_axis = "-3"
input_player2_down_axis = "+3"
input_player2_left_axis = "-2"
input_player2_right_axis = "+2"

Return to “Gaming”