bite_your_idols

Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons for LibreELEC

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:00 am

Available add-ons
- RetroArch: the official frontend for Libretro cores with a lot of features and settings used by Lakka.
- Advanced Emulator Launcher: Best way to integrate and launch your game collections in Kodi.
- EmulationStation: a nice frontend ​also used by RetroPie and Recalbox.
- DraStic RPi: Experimental Nintendo DS emulator for Raspberry Pi 2/3.
- PPSSPP RPi: PSP emulator for Raspberry Pi 2/3.

Download & Info
- Download and install this repo zip file.
- More info in github project site.

enjoy!

🎮
Last edited by bite_your_idols on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 am, edited 12 times in total.

wsamh

Re: Gamestarter: Easy retrogaming installation for OpenELEC

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:21 am

How do I enable the analog stick on Xbox 360 controller?

bite_your_idols

Re: Gamestarter: Easy retrogaming installation for OpenELEC

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:15 pm

You can bind "left analog to dpad" or something similar using retroarch's input configuration menu... It works in my dualshocks and I think I pre-config it in my installation... also you can edit manually retroarch.conf and search "analog_dpad_mode" and set "=1"

good luck!

bite_your_idols

Re: Gamestarter: Retrogaming addon

Tue May 17, 2016 10:37 pm

updated to v2.0.0:
- All-in-One addon structure
- Addon settings with default frontend selection between RetroArch and EmulationStation
- GameMaker Pi ports and IARL addon optional installation from addon settings
- Change all config files and directories to /storage/.config/

hansolo77

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Hopefully this gets to the right author...

I'm having trouble with the gpSP core (GameBoy Advance). Specifically, it crashes. I can't it to load up. I've got the BIOS setup correctly, and have a few roms in the proper path. However, when I tell RetroArch to "Load Content" and set to detect core, it comes up with the list of available cores, all of which work (although slow) except for gpSP. In past RetroArch setups using my Pi2.. I've been using gpSP and it's always worked fine. Is the core supplied maybe broken in the latest version? Any ideas?

hansolo77

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:06 am

I was actually able to fix this. Using RetroArch's core updater, it somehow corrupted the core I had previously existing. After replacing the core with one present inside the GameStarter installer zip, the core worked correctly. I found this to be the case in more than one core, which helped me figure out what had actually happened.

bite_your_idols

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:41 am

New addon version release!
Gamestarter v2.0.4  (changelog)

enjoy!

bite_your_idols

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

3dh wrote:Jesus! Why is it so hard to find your e-mail?

To the point. I wrote about the problem of "samba" (https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Game ... /issues/10). I downloaded "Source code (zip)" and installed, then installed "script.gamestarter-v2.0.4-OLE.zip." Emulator works, but:

- When I start the game by "advancedlauncher", games from usb and gamepad shortcuts (like: Select + Start = exit) work. However, after returning to Kodi "samba" is reset.

- When I run the emulator by "Gamestarter", "samba" is not reset, but everything else does not work!

Can you help?

Muchas gracias.

Hola!

I think best thing you can do is start over again. Firts, delete addon from kodi and then rename your custom config files (if you created them) such as retroarch.cfg or es_systems.cfg.

Then download the latest release of the addon from releases page, never from master git. Copy it to the pi and install from zip.
After installing you must start addon once at least to let it make the first-time setup.

After that, you can launch roms from Advanced Launcher or retroarch, as you prefer.

Also, if you are using OpenELEC 6.0.3, I recommend you to update to LibreELEC 7.

good luck!

3dh

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:49 am

Now it's ok. Muchas gracias.

By the way, could you explain how to run the Doom or Quake?

bite_your_idols

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:48 pm

it's easy, cores are included, an also the launcher files are, so you just need to download the games and paste them into /storage /emulators/roms/ports/.
If you are using advanced launcher, once ports category selected, open context menu and scan for new games, it will find cavestory, doom, quake and dinothawr (the launcher files I included), so if the games are in the correct location, they will work.

bite_your_idols

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:25 am

New addon version release!
Gamestarter v2.1.0  (changelog)

- RetroArch 1.3.6
- CaveStory, Quake and Doom libretro ports included.
- mame2003-libretro core update including Hiscores and config file for in-core settings menu.
- New crt-pi shader for retroarch.

enjoy!

hansolo77

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Will updating break my current configs?

bite_your_idols

Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:09 pm

hansolo77 wrote:Will updating break my current configs?
you just need to copy/backup these files:
- /storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg
- /storage/.config/advancedlauncher/launchers.xml (if you have used it)
- /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg (if you have used it)

After installation/update and first-time-setup you can copy them back to their place.

For next updates I will fix this...

hansolo77

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:11 am

Awesome.. thanks for the tip.

bite_your_idols

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:49 pm

roboneo wrote:
bite_your_idols wrote:
roboneo wrote:Hi, i cant find a way to make it work, everytime i try to use the addon the tv goes black and then send me back to kodi, i dont know what to do, the last thing i installed was this retroarch version (1.3.6) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... TFNX1lRRzQ can you please help me or guide me a little bit? i think that my problem is that i cant enter to retroarch.
Are you using the correct addon version for your OS?
If you have the latest addon release you can check the log file: Storage/.config/gamestarter.log

Yes i downloaded the one for openelec, i dont have a gamestater.log file, just
aacs
hwdb.d
modprobe.d
modules-load.d
rc_keymaps
sysctl.d
system.d
tmpfiles.d
undev.rules.d
autostart.sh
hosts.conf
samba.conf

thats it all
roboneo wrote:
bite_your_idols wrote:Please, download again the latest version, install and check gamestarter log.

ok i donwloaded and installed agian, but it didnt appear, just:

aacs
advancedlauncher
emulationstation
hwdb.d
modprobe.d
modules-load.d
rc_keymaps
retroarch
sysctl.d
system.d
tmpfiles.d
undev.rules.d
autostart.sh
hosts.conf
samba.conf

ok, So what OpenELEC version are you using?

I you download the OLE version of the last release 2.1.1, you install it from zip, run addon to make the first time setup, wait until it says everything is done, then you must reboot, run the addon again and it should work. If it does not, there must be a log file created in /storage/.config/gamestarter.log.

If there is no log file or the setup completion message does not appear you should check kodi logs...

roboneo

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:49 pm

im using openelec 6.0.3 on a pi zero

i will try agian because there is no gamestartes.log, i guess the problem is with retroarch because everything in gamestarter works well ultil i hit the ok button to launch retroarch

bite_your_idols

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:08 pm

roboneo wrote:im using openelec 6.0.3 on a pi zero

i will try agian because there is no gamestartes.log, i guess the problem is with retroarch because everything in gamestarter works well ultil i hit the ok button to launch retroarch
Maybe, the problem is that, my addon does not work in pi 0/1 just Pi 2/3... sorry...

roboneo

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:20 pm

oh, i didnt know, on a pi b+ could work? do you know of any other alternative for the pi zero? because i see some youtube videos of that

roboneo

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:01 pm

ok, i bought the pi 3 and now it works! i can enter the blue menu of retroarch, i just have a more few questions.
When i check for updates it says there is one but theres no option to dowload it, it has to be manually?
I pluged a keyboard to test if everything its right, it can move in the menu but cant enter anything, i dont know if its a problem with the keyboard or anything else, anyone having the same issue?
I just can launch retroarch but no emulationstation, do i need to install anything else?
And last, for a xbox360 controller, can i just plug it and it will work?

hansolo77

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm glad you figured it out!

If there is an update to Gamestarter, you have to download it manually from the GitHub (make sure you get the right version!) then install via zip in Kodi Addons...
https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Game ... i/releases

Setting up RetroArch is tricky at first. Once you understand the controls though, it's a snap... Arrow Keys navigate, "X" enters/toggles an option and "Z" goes back. This drove me nuts till I found documentation on it through the web.

Using EmulationStation I believe requires installing that through the Gamestarter config. When you go into your Kodi addons, and select Gamestarter, you can go in and configure if you want RetroArch or EmulationStation. I don't use that so you're on your own there (unless somebody can offer help).

Using an Xbox 360 controller is easy too. By default, as long as you don't change any settings, the D-Pad will navigate in RetroArch, "A" will enter/toggle and "B" will cancel/return. The "GUIDE" button will bring up the RetroArch menu if a game is playing, or hide it to go back. Without a keyboard to press "ESCAPE" to exit RetroArch, you'll need to navigate out through the first menu item.

roboneo

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:19 pm

[quote="hansolo77"]I'm glad you figured it out!

If there is an update to Gamestarter, you have to download it manually from the GitHub (make sure you get the right version!) then install via zip in Kodi Addons...
https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Game ... i/releases

Setting up RetroArch is tricky at first. Once you understand the controls though, it's a snap... Arrow Keys navigate, "X" enters/toggles an option and "Z" goes back. This drove me nuts till I found documentation on it through the web.

Using EmulationStation I believe requires installing that through the Gamestarter config. When you go into your Kodi addons, and select Gamestarter, you can go in and configure if you want RetroArch or EmulationStation. I don't use that so you're on your own there (unless somebody can offer help).

Using an Xbox 360 controller is easy too. By default, as long as you don't change any settings, the D-Pad will navigate in RetroArch, "A" will enter/toggle and "B" will cancel/return. The "GUIDE" button will bring up the RetroArch menu if a game is playing, or hide it to go back. Without a keyboard to press "ESCAPE" to exit RetroArch, you'll need to navigate out through the first menu item.[/quote]

Duuude! youre awesome!! a year ago i installed retropie and cant enter with the keyboard i didnt know about the X stuff! then you so much, i will try to install emulationstation to try it too, and see if i can put my hands on the xbox controller to test that too, do you know if you can pair a wireless controler via bluetooth with the pi?

Than you so much man, do you have any recomended web page to get the roms for the games?

hansolo77

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:56 pm

I would imagine you can pair a bluetooth dongle with an Xbox 360 controller if you have such a setup. I actually just went and bought a PC version of the controller (one comes wired controller and one comes with a (wired) dongle and wireless controller). The one I got was the wireless with the (wired) dongle. The nice thing with that is that you can sync it with other controllers you own. Once you do that, it works automatically. I'm not sure how the bluetooth bit would work, but I assume once you have the the hardware synced it should work fine.

As for where to get roms and stuff.. it's a bit of a "don't ask don't tell" scenario with that. If you know where to look, you can find some torrent trackers that have complete console sets. For just starting out though, I'd recommend places like http://www.emuparadise.me although I'm not sure if they hold BIOS ROMs there. Your best bet is once you get it all setup and running, grab yourself another Kodi addon called Internet Archive ROM Launcher. It will act as an "on the fly" ROM downloader that will let you browse for a ROM, then download it, then launch it (through GameStarter) and when you finish it will erase the ROM so you can grab something else without eating up a lot of precious SD card space.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231339

roboneo

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Well thank you so much!! you dont have an idea of how much you help me! i got banned from the openelec forum with no reason just for asking the same stuff, thank you again! you are awesome!

hansolo77

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:34 pm

No problem.. It's nice to find help when you need it. Just be careful of the kind of stuff you say, a lot of places don't want to risk talking about emu stuff.

roboneo

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:58 am

ok i got a new problem that i was trying to fix but it just dont work, i dont know if its normal or not but when i test with some games the sound cuts a lot, it starts ok but then it stops, is that normal? do you know how to fix it? i was testing with megadrive and n64 games

Return to “Gaming”