spawnsworth

What controllers y'all using for Retro gaming?

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Hey all,

Just wondering what controllers are good for retro gaming on the Raspi Pi? I've been using a PS3 controller which is dead on mostly but some games are tricky without using an actual joystick.

Anyone got any good recommendations of a good joystick to use? Wireless is preferable but beggars can't be choosers!

Cheers

TonyD

Re: What controllers y'all using for Retro gaming?

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:08 pm

I tend to use wired controllers with the Pi. Mainly with RetroPie.

I've had a lot of success with the PS sixaxis controller over USB.

I've also hard-wired up both the NES and SNES controllers to the Pi. One of my recent builds, I stuck a Pi Zero in a NES controller case and wired it up. I've also just built my own controller, the projects on hackaday. And to repeat what I've said in a different post, I made my own PCB and case and put it on kickstarter.
Tony

bobbyyoustra

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:54 pm

I've been using the Logitech RumblePad 2. You don't need to pay extra for the rumble because I've never gotten it to work :(.

Yok0r

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:37 pm

TonyD wrote:I tend to use wired controllers with the Pi. Mainly with RetroPie.

I've had a lot of success with the PS sixaxis controller over USB.

I've also hard-wired up both the NES and SNES controllers to the Pi. One of my recent builds, I stuck a Pi Zero in a NES controller case and wired it up. I've also just built my own controller, the projects on hackaday. And to repeat what I've said in a different post, I made my own PCB and case and put it on kickstarter.
That's an awesome kickstarter!

I'm having trouble setting up a wired xbox 360 arcade stick (hori ex2) on pi zero
I have set up retropie to use keyboard and manged to get some snes roms working
The probem is I don't have a usb hub and cant figure out how setup the controller now I've got retropie working - it doesn't seem to detect it when selecting to reconfigure controller then hotswapping with the usb keyboard
I am powered via a wallwart rather than the tv usb (which works fine with a pi3 and kodi)
Can anyone help? I also have a Raspberry pi model 2 and a model 3 if that helps and some ps3 arcade sticks in the loft ( i was going to try setting it on up on one of the other pi's and then swap out the sd card but retropie has separate sd card images for pi zero and pie2/3)
:(
My intention when its all working is to put the pi zero inside a cheap usb controller rather than butcher my arcade sticks

Robert11

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:54 am

If you are considering wireless there is a wireless receiver for X Box 360 remotes that plugs in to the USB of the Pi and allows for 4 remotes It will say for windows PC but most things like that are compatible with the Pi

Check this link on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361279540848?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

this uses the standard remotes from a X Box 360 I tried it out using my daughters remotes from her X Box and it worked great

Robert

TonyD

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Yok0r wrote:
TonyD wrote:....
I made my own PCB and case and put it on kickstarter.
That's an awesome kickstarter!
Thanks, glad you liked it.
I'm having trouble setting up a wired xbox 360 arcade stick (hori ex2) on pi zero
My intention when its all working is to put the pi zero inside a cheap usb controller rather than butcher my arcade sticks
Sorry I can't help you with xbox controller set up, but the idea of sticking a zero in a USB hub sounds interesting.
Tony

gman98

Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:32 pm

I use two Xbox 360 wireless controllers on RetroPie, works a treat

Neil Munday

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi,

I use PS3, PS4 and XBOX 360 control pads for my set-up.

Cheers,

Neil.
http://pes.mundayweb.com -> The Pi Entertainment System for all your gaming needs

Jako

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:38 am

Luckily, the Rasberry pi work with any controller, only on some specials times you need a driver or daemon that controlls the device.
At my point of view, a ps3 or a x360 controller is the best choice, easily you can config them to control games and the system enviorement emulating the keyboard and mouse, all in one.
For hardcore gamers, build your own hacked arcade table and enjoy. Cheap and awesome anyway. :-)
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

Malman35

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:35 am

Do these work? I hope they do cause I already ordered them ;)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016JV ... ailpages00
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

Check out my cool website for my stop motion animations.
www.mem3500films.ml

Yok0r

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:38 pm

TonyD wrote:
Sorry I can't help you with xbox controller set up, but the idea of sticking a zero in a USB hub sounds interesting.
I re flashed the image onto the sd card then it would freeze on booting - but after formatting the card, re-flashing and adding a cheap usb hub that arrived yesterday it detected it on startup :D

All working great now

If only the pi zero was readily available I would by several more! :geek:

ashmck73

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 am

I use an XBox 360 wireless controller as well as a PS3 wireless controller. I actually prefer thre PS3 controller for some reason - just seems to be more accurate and feels better in the hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ashley
the curator @
www.raspberryretro.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akhilgarg154

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Can we use android app on a smartphone on which buttons can be customised and connected over wifi or Bluetooth with shock waves using vibrators. Maybe accelerometer and gyro can be integrated for some feedback

Kengun

Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Malman35 wrote:Do these work? I hope they do cause I already ordered them ;)
Just wondering if the controller you ordered did work?

Roelli

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Hey there,

at first, please excuse my bad english, i am not a nativ speaker but i hope you understand my explanations.

I just started my retro pie journey but made some experiences which I want so share with you.

My first try with wireless controllers was the:

CSL – Wireless Gamepad for Playstation 3
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01AQT ... UTF8&psc=1

Bad things first: For each controller you need a seperate usb reciever. The reciever is included but so hugh that they block another usb port. Only 2 Recievers are possible on the RPi 3.
The Good Points: The look and feel is realy nice and the battery keeps it up for several sessions.

My latest catch was the PS3 - Controller Bluetooth from BigBen
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000NV ... UTF8&psc=1

A nice controller which connects to the build in Bluetooth of the RPi 3 just got 2 of them but they don't interfere each other so i assume that 4 Controller work out of the box.
With the plain surface it looks a little more clean and i could not experience grip problems while playing.

If some one need some more information I could do some more "research" ;)

Ps: I had no time to read the Boardrules, so please dont be i angry. I promise to improve :D

B-Man

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:20 am

Hi, Im looking for a cheap controller or 2 that works with RetroPie without too much fuss and is easily compatible with most types of emulators

it looks like buying a 360 wireless hub and a couple of wireless 360 controllers seems to be the go
1. for ease of connection and use
2. seems to have most generic in terms of the layout that would suit most emulators

how do these work for the snes with the A and B buttons around the wrong way?

other option after a bit of googling was i could try and setup my old wiimotes with the classic controller attachment
i have 2 of them 2 classic controller attachments and a bluetooth stick will have to look into how to setup the bluetooth now

ersiq

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 pm

B-Man wrote:Hi, Im looking for a cheap controller or 2 that works with RetroPie without too much fuss and is easily compatible with most types of emulators

it looks like buying a 360 wireless hub and a couple of wireless 360 controllers seems to be the go
1. for ease of connection and use
2. seems to have most generic in terms of the layout that would suit most emulators

how do these work for the snes with the A and B buttons around the wrong way?

other option after a bit of googling was i could try and setup my old wiimotes with the classic controller attachment
i have 2 of them 2 classic controller attachments and a bluetooth stick will have to look into how to setup the bluetooth now
I bougth a pair of this original Xbox 360 Wireless, each one comes with a wireless receiver, you just need one. Each receiver is capable to connect up to four controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q ... UTF8&psc=1

The Xbox 360 controller is smooth, ergonomic, and works perfectly in Raspberry Pi.

willieaames

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:28 am

Even though Mario Kart 64 came out 20 years ago, I personally don't consider it retro and that makes me feel old.

Malman35

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:28 am

Kengun wrote:
Malman35 wrote:Do these work? I hope they do cause I already ordered them ;)
Just wondering if the controller you ordered did work?
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here in ages. ;) Yes they worked fine but I would suggest getting the ones by ibuffalo (https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic- ... B002B9XB0E) cause they have better reviews. Would have gotten those instead but I didn't see them till later.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

Check out my cool website for my stop motion animations.
www.mem3500films.ml

PiBoy825

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 pm

The PS3 Sixaxe Dualshock 3 controllers work like a dream...
(I would really like a slice of pi right now)

PrettyCoolBruh

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:03 pm

I just go for the 'retro feeling' if that makes sense :lol:

I use a NES controller with a retrobit usb cable. You can buy the cable on https://www.amazon.com/RetroBit-Retro-A ... nes+to+usb

You can find a NES controller easily at eBay

Hope this helps
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do

tekn0

Tue May 09, 2017 3:14 pm

There is a huge list of them here on this site: https://nostalgiatechs.com/retro-games- ... -wireless/

xXRoboBoyXx

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Me and my brother play street fighter with a usb xbox controller (I don't know the name.) And i use a Saitek Ps100 GAMEPAD. Or Ps dual analogue pad 1000 or something like that Both work great! The xbox controller has rumble that works :D So i'm happy about that.

petrockblog

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:45 am

If you are interested in connecting original controllers like, e.g., SNES, Genesis/Megadrive or even aracade controllers to the Pi, you might be interested in the ControlBlock. It was designed specifically for that use case: https://blog.petrockblock.com/controlblock/
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Return to “Gaming”