Radu79

Eternal Lands (MMORPG) I need some help testing it

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi guys
Now that Raspberry Pi supports native OpenGL (not GLES), I wanted to try porting our game, [Eternal Lands](www.eternal-lands.com) and see if it works.
I've tried it on my new RasPi 3, and it works relatively OKish (given the platform limitations), but I could use some extra testing, especially on a RasPi 2, which I don't have.
If you would like to test it (or if for some reason you need a MMORPG that works on it), please do the following things:
Make sure you have the latest version of raspbian. I got the latest version installed, if your version is older, I guess you will have a sudo apt-get upgrade ?
Enable OpenGL support: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... pbian-RPi2 Don't forget to reboot.
Download the file (which includes the binary): http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_pi.tar.gz
Untar it, and then start el.x86.linux.bin (I forgot to change the name, it is an ARM binary)
By now, it should start. You can create a new character, and enjoy the game.
Here are some observations:
The ground and objects will flicker a lot. I guess it has to do with the limited Z buffer depth. Not sure if we can do anything about it.
The game will run at around 8-12 FPS, which is barely playable. I provided some good default settings that improve the performance at the expense of quality. Feel free to play with the setting menu.
The game uses surprisingly little power, about 3.5W measured at the wall socket. It also uses very little CPU, about 20% (so a bit less than a core on the RasPi 3)
Please let me know if it works, any suggestions, etc.
Thanks for reading!

mfraspi

Re: Eternal Lands (MMORPG) I need some help testing it

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Hello Radu,

Just received my pi 3b yesterday and thought I would try to get this to work. Instructions were fine i un-tared, gave permission to run the bin, however, when I run the bin I get the following error "error while loading shared libraries: libcal3d.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". So it seems I'm missing some library files. probably and easy "apt-get" install. Problem is, I don't know what is the latest version of that library. Thought I would post this incase others are having the same problem.

Thanks
mfraspi

Radu79

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Ah, ok, it seems it's not there by default. Try libcal3d12 and please let me know if it works.

bfready

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:32 pm

Hello.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone was able to get this working on a Raspberry PI 4? I am able to run the el bin and see the loading screen for about 5 seconds, but it then crashes with an undefined symbol error:

./el.x86.linux.bin: symbol lookup error: ./el.x86.linux.bin: undefined symbol: _ZN16CalCoreAnimation11setFilenameERKSs
undefinedSymbolErrorInEL.png
undefinedSymbolErrorInEL.png (120.15 KiB) Viewed 711 times

bfready

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:49 am

I wish I could know exactly what I was missing to cause this error, but I was able to run the game by re-compiling. Here is a link that goes over it in detail:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/inde ... ing-guide/

You still need the data files after compiling however, so I will re-cap what I did:

I extracted the tar.gz the creater of the client posted several years ago:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_pi.tar.gz

I then updated my libraries:
sudo apt install libsdl2-dev
sudo apt install libsdl2-net-dev
sudo apt install libsdl2-image-dev

Then, I compiled the EL git in a separate directory ~/Eternal-Lands:
[sb@precision330 ~]$ git clone git://github.com/raduprv/Eternal-Lands.git
[sb@precision330 ~]$ cd Eternal-Lands
[sb@precision330 Eternal-Lands]$ make -f Makefile.linux

I then copied el.x86.linux.bin into the ~/el/ directory (directory that you extract the tar.gx file into). It says X86, but the creater forgot to rename it to "armhf."
There's already a bin file with this name in that directory, so I did a "mv ./el.x86.linux.bin /el.x86.linuxBackup11Jan2020.bin" (just in case, I guess.. may not be needed).

After doing all this, I was able to run ./el.x86.linux.bin successfully!

I have to say though, performance is not that great.. 5-10FPS.. in isometric mode in fullscreen. Lowest resolution. This is with a raspberry pi 4 overclocked to 2.00ghz

I have not tried to optimize the el.ini file yet, so if anyone gets a descent frame rate in full screen let me know!

bfready

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:05 am

Oh! I forgot, I was getting memory errors when I tried going full screen (sorry I don't have the exact errors), so I edited my /boot/config.txt file:

gpu_mem: 512 <-- it was 256, so I increased it to 512.

I did a sudo reboot and the full screen worked afterwards. To be honest, I am not sure if it was me increasing the gpu memory or the reboot that fixed this..

Disclaimer: I am pretty new to linux. So, I might be doing things wrong and not realizing it. I work on equipment at work that use SGI IRIX platforms. There's a lot of similarities, but I am learning that there a lot of differences as well! I do have to say I love working on the raspberry pi though.

Return to “Gaming”