DarrenHill

Is there a Pi Minecraft PE server that actually works?

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:09 pm

My kids are getting back into Minecraft PE on their Android tablets, so I foolishly said I'd look into setting up a server for them on our home network (using either my general purpose Pi1 back-end server, or if I have to a Pi2/3).

After doing some research, all roads seem to point to pocketmine.net, but unfortunately when I tried to get that running it completely failed to work (firstly moaning about missing php7, and once I found a way to get that in it still gave errors and wouldn't accept connections). I also tried their Windows version on my laptop as a last-ditch test and even that failed and wasn't willing to accept connections too (it seemed to insist the server was running on IP address 0.0.0.0, even after reporting both the laptop's internal IP address and my router's external IP address correctly), so I have no faith in their builds at all.

So I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows of a current and up-to-date way to get a MC PE server running on a Pi (the Pi1 I'd like to put it on is running headless Jessie-Lite). All the pages I can find on the net which don't lead back there are very outdated.

MWW1977

Re: Is there a Pi Minecraft PE server that actually works?

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Hello Darren,

I've got the same problem! :D
My kids just started minecraft PE a few weeks ago and like you I told my kids I'll try to setup a minecraft server on my Pi2.
I'm also using the PocketmineMP software but I'm getting errors aswell.

I keep running in the PHP7 story and indeed the fact that the latest update is from March 2015. And on the site they letting the public know they release a new version soon......that was about a year ago.
I got my info mostly from this guys:
http://richard.mackney.com/minecraft-pe ... erry-pi-2/

I'm almost there.....I just hit a snag with compiling PHP7.
I don't have any programming skills so it's going to take me some time to get this to work....but perhaps you find his tutorial and mostly the comments helpfull.

Kind regards,
Mike
The Netherlands

DarrenHill

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks - I've seen that one, plus several others. It's one of the better ones, but unfortunately it's still based on the pocketmine stuff, which I have the feeling is fundamentally broken, at least on current versions of Jessie.

On one I did manage to find a version of php7 (at the link below), but even with that installed the start.sh script still failed, albeit with a different error this time (it actually runs, but then bails out). Hence my frustration about getting something that actually runs at all, even with the correct support structure beneath it and my question above.

https://www.symfony.fi/entry/install-ph ... spberry-pi

Hiradur

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Nukkit works well but just like all the other servers it's not feature complete.

https://github.com/Nukkit/Nukkit

Nfarrow

Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 am

Here is how I got Nukkit to work.

Install JDK
Visit http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html, click the download button of Java Platform (JDK) 8. Click to Accept License Agreement, download jdk-8-linux-arm-vfp-hflt.tar.gz for Linux ARM v6/v7 Hard Float ABI.

Log-in Raspberry Pi, enter the command to extract jdk-8-linux-arm-vfp-hflt.tar.gz to /opt directory.

Code: Select all

$ sudo tar zxvf jdk-8-linux-arm-vfp-hflt.tar.gz -C /opt
Set default java and javac to the new installed jdk8.

$ sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/jdk1.8.0_131/bin/javac 1
$ sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/jdk1.8.0_131/bin/java 1

$ sudo update-alternatives --config javac
$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
After all, verify with the commands with -verion option.

$ java -version
$ javac -version
How to Install Nukkit

sudo apt-get install -y git
sudo apt-get install -y maven
git clone https://github.com/Nukkit/Nukkit.git
cd Nukkit

git submodule update --init
mvn clean
mvn package
To start Nukkit go to target and find the nukkit jar file. You can also create a shell script that can start it.

cd Nukkit/target
java -jar nukkit-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
Twitter: @farrownick
Instagram veggievampire
I own a lot of Pis....

refsmmat

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:07 am

Hi everyone,

I have had the same dilemma about Minecraft on a pi.

I've tried Pocketmine, but Nukkit has been by far the most stable. I currently have two Pi -2s running two nukkit worlds - one for each child :).

They both run very well. I would recommend the MobPlugin which spawns 'most' mobs.

Regards,

Stephen

Return to “Gaming”