The_Piper

Create a MMORPG running on a raspi

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:07 am

I have been working on a MMORPG for a few years, client, server, artwork, quests, and i did a quick&dirty install of the server on my raspberry pi B+ 2, and guess what, it works!

And it's even pretty fast.

But it is a PITA to work on a MMORPG as a single person, so i am looking for volunteers, who would like to help to make the game better.

To do so, i offer to release the source code and data of client, server, artwork, map editor to the raspberry pi community to have a MMORPG for the raspberry pi.

The game itself is 2d with some animations, both client and server are written in C, the client uses SDL libraries for graphical stuff.

Tools like a map editor do exist, even a whole world for the game exists, the game is already playable.

Volunteers needed are:

o Programmers who know C (and SDL libraries for the client) to improve the client
o Programmers who are willing to create an app for tablets or even smartphones
o Programmers who are willing to create a browser client for the game, whatever technology you prefer, java, HTML5, whatever
o Artists who improve the artwork
o Story writers/quest writers

At this point of time, i dont want to release the source code of the server already, because i want to get people to work on the game itself and create a community, not several groups of people who run their own server, do some changes on their own and the community itself won't benefit from that.

Maybe i will release a binary version of the server, which runs on the raspi first, so ppl can try to set up their own server for testing purposes, and then later release the source code.

Well, thats stuff we have to discuss, just my thoughts atm.

To have a look at the game, which i have right now up and running on a cheap virtual server, look here:
http://the-green-leaf.de/tgatb.html

Download the client and start it and you can have a look, how the game runs on my vServer.
And, if you are an artist, you get already all that graphics stuff you can improve ;)

If you want to connect to my server running on a raspberry pi, change tgatb.cfg, change the host= entry from host=the-green-leaf.de to host=thepipersrealm.ddns.net and feel the power of a raspy B+2 :)
For me, it is really a little bit faster than the vServer, use the #ping command to check the speed of your connection to the game server.

Any volunteers, opinions, questions?

Post here!

Piper

PangolinPaws

Re: Create a MMORPG running on a raspi

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:43 am

Fantastic stuff, I'm impressed at how much you've achieved. I'll download the client and give it a go later on.

I'm intrigued by the name, can you give us an overview of the world/story you've imagined?

(P.S. I volunteer, although I'm not sure if I'll be of any use, I'd just like the chance to tinker with the game's code and see if I learn anything)
https://github.com/PangolinPaw

tgwaste

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:14 am

source code anywhere?

The_Piper

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:09 am

Download the client and you have the client's C source code plus the artwork.

Which is the stuff which needs the most work, i think.

i'm going to release the map editor and server later, need to clean up some stuff and write a few README.TXT to make it finally useable by other ppl.

Piper

The_Piper

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:43 am

The story of the world right now doesn't really matter, we can make a new/better one.

Right now you have a big city in the center of the world, one former outpost, a castle populated with a lazy vampire and a lot of deserted maps with monsters.

So the story might be, once there was a kingdom named Kingdom of Wynd, with Wynd as its capital, but due some catastrophy it lost most of it's power, and at least the king, maybe some mages went mad or the orcs were too drunk and dared to attack the kingdom, who knows...

So we have now a world with some civilization, the capital Wynd still exists, and a lot of maps, where monsters and wild animals roam, like evil goblins and orcs or lions or knitting skeletons.

But still some peaceful places, like a farm, a fisherman's village do exist too.

This all can be changed, the existing world was just a playground for me to test the game, same with all NPC's, quests, invasions, contests and so on.

Nothing is carved in stone, nearly everything can be changed :)

Piper

The_Piper

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:55 am

Oh, and the games name, The Goblin and the Butterfly, TGatB, i was looking for something unique and i haven't found anything on google which used this name, that's all.

Does it sound more stupid than World of Warcraft, Forge of Empires and other names?

And at least, there are Goblins and Butterflies in game ;)

Piper

tgwaste

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:46 pm

The_Piper wrote:Download the client and you have the client's C source code plus the artwork.

Which is the stuff which needs the most work, i think.

i'm going to release the map editor and server later, need to clean up some stuff and write a few README.TXT to make it finally useable by other ppl.

Piper
Please let me know when these two things are complete.

The_Piper

Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:31 am

Well, to be honest, if i cant find any volunteers who like to work on the client and the artwork, the stuff, which needs the most work anyways, i don't want to release anything else.

Because i don't want to have some ppl working on their own instead of having a community, who works on the game and tries to improve it.

If you just want to know how to run a game server, i would suggest that you try to download and install a MUD server like CIRCLE MUD (http://www.circlemud.org/) or CALYPSO MUD (https://sourceforge.net/projects/calypso-mud/) or any other MUD server.

With those MUD servers you can create new maps, populate them with monsters, write quests and, and and.

Just without the graphical stuff.

PiBoy825

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:06 am

The_Piper wrote:Well, to be honest, if i cant find any volunteers who like to work on the client and the artwork, the stuff, which needs the most work anyways, i don't want to release anything else.

Because i don't want to have some ppl working on their own instead of having a community, who works on the game and tries to improve it.

If you just want to know how to run a game server, i would suggest that you try to download and install a MUD server like CIRCLE MUD (http://www.circlemud.org/) or CALYPSO MUD (https://sourceforge.net/projects/calypso-mud/) or any other MUD server.

With those MUD servers you can create new maps, populate them with monsters, write quests and, and and.

Just without the graphical stuff.

I'll Work on the artwork for you! Can I?
(I would really like a slice of pi right now)

The_Piper

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:54 am

PiBoy825 wrote: I'll Work on the artwork for you! Can I?
Sure, download the client (as mentioned above) and you got all the artwork in game.

Then we can meet in game (again as mentioned above, how to log in) and coordinate updates, new releases of the game.

That would make me really happy, if we can improve all that art stuff :)

Piper

PiBoy825

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:54 am

The_Piper wrote:
PiBoy825 wrote: I'll Work on the artwork for you! Can I?
Sure, download the client (as mentioned above) and you got all the artwork in game.

Then we can meet in game (again as mentioned above, how to log in) and coordinate updates, new releases of the game.

That would make me really happy, if we can improve all that art stuff :)

Piper
Will the client work with mac OS X?
(I would really like a slice of pi right now)

The_Piper

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:24 am

PiBoy825 wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
PiBoy825 wrote: Will the client work with mac OS X?
No, right now only with Linux and Windows, i don't have a chance to compile it for Mac OS X.

But maybe you can work on that and try to compile it for Mac OS?

Piper

Return to “Gaming”