welshy

Re: Emulation on the Pi3: Initial Testing

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:12 am

thak
Supermodel requires a pretty highly specced Desktop for acceptable performance as when released in 1996 the Model 3 Board was 'Bleeding Edge' real time 3D Hardware* (with a price to match which led to its relative failure in the Arcades). The Pi3 really isn't going to cut it! As suggested previously by Trixster with regards to cl-mame2010, Reicast is the way to go as some of the Titles were converted to the Dreamcast.
However, I will try it out of interest if time allows.

* 32Bit RISC PowerPC 603 66Mhz (CPU) & 2 x Lockheed Martin Real3D/PRO-1000 (GPU)

Update: SuperModel - Sega Model 3
As suspected, static Bitmapped screens run at 6-9 FPS but as soon as a significant amount of Polys need to be displayed its down to 0.5 FPS!!! Interesting/amazing that it actually works though!

Titles Tested: Virtua Fighter 3, Daytona USA 2 and Scud Race.
Last edited by welshy on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

saberman

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:18 am

welshy wrote:Saberman
As requested, also posted in the Emulation Thread, Pi3: Initial Testing -

Mupen64plus-rpi - Nintendo 64 (Binary, not recompiled in Pi3)
More good news! Previous Titles that perform well, but not perfectly, in Mupen64plus now run at 100%.
Titles Tested: Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Additional: Goldeneye 64, one of the poorest performing working Titles, now runs at approximately 60% for the reasons explained
Here - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=58395

welshy

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:20 am

saberman
No Probs!

Jessie

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:11 pm

Hey Welshy,

So I guess the big question in my mind here is... Is it worth it to put down for a Pi3 from a Pi2? I'm sure that it comes down to titles played and most of what I play is older stuff. Now and then I may want to give SOTN a roll on the PSX but that is about it.

I have a fleet of Pi2 in operation already two of which are emulators, although the kids have beat the piss out of my arcade cab over the years. I have one I leave up at the cabin every summer for days where I get rained in. The biggest downfall to it is lack of internet connection. Is RetroPie bulletproof yet or will lack of updates hider me?

thak

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:44 am

Hi Welshy!

Thanks for your testing!
Even if it's not playable, it's still amaze me that it actually run on pi!
As you suggest i will go for reicast and test some of them as soon as my pi arrive.

welshy

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:30 am

Jessie
Perhaps you've answered the question yourself! I would suggest if Emulation of more modern Systems is of interest (PS1, N64, Dreamcast) then its definitely worth upgrading to the Pi3. Additionally the 'Built In' Wi-Fi/Blue Tooth effectively provides a 'Spare' (or two ports is using separate receivers) USB Port if connecting many devices without the requirement for a Hub. Although as a non-user of RetroPie I couldn't really quantify any advantages at this time.

Jako

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:39 am

welshy wrote:thak
Supermodel requires a pretty highly specced Desktop for acceptable performance as when released in 1996 the Model 3 Board was 'Bleeding Edge' real time 3D Hardware* (with a price to match which led to its relative failure in the Arcades). The Pi3 really isn't going to cut it! As suggested previously by Trixster with regards to cl-mame2010, Reicast is the way to go as some of the Titles were converted to the Dreamcast.
However, I will try it out of interest if time allows.

* 32Bit RISC PowerPC 603 66Mhz (CPU) & 2 x Lockheed Martin Real3D/PRO-1000 (GPU)

Update: SuperModel - Sega Model 3
As suspected, static Bitmapped screens run at 6-9 FPS but as soon as a significant amount of Polys need to be displayed its down to 0.5 FPS!!! Interesting/amazing that it actually works though!

Titles Tested: Virtua Fighter 3, Daytona USA 2 and Scud Race.
I try the same time ago with the rpi2...

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=111384&p=765931&hi ... de#p765931

Agree with you, the same result on a rpi3, more or less the same fps. Why? I hope a 10-12fps.
Maybe we are compiling it in a wrong way?
Jump to 64bits? :(
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

welshy

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:59 am

Jako
I doubt its a compiling issue, just a case of RAW PERFORMANCE! I use Supermodel on Desktops and even with a Quad Core Pentium and good GPU it only runs at 45-50 FPS. Using the 64 Bit version against the 32 Bit Windows version provides little if any additional performance.

Chips

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:47 am

tachiweasel wrote: That's strange, because the issues with Mupen64Plus are GPU related, not CPU related, and the Pi 3 has the same GPU as the Pi 2, right? I don't see how Super Mario 64 could possibly run at 100% speed with the video plugins remaining the same: they issue one draw call for each triangle, more or less, and they suffer massive driver stalls and tiled memory framebuffer blitting overhead as a result. Unless the GPU got a large upgrade, the overhead will remain the same and the game will stay slow. (BTW, even more powerful mobile GPUs like Mali also suffer the same overhead and don't run at 100% speed, at least in my testing...)
Seems you're tight... i did try mupen64 with gles2nes pluging on Rpi3 and it is not so good despite CPU is not struggling...

Return to “Gaming”