cacophony555

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:51 pm

mjb152 wrote:Hi, I installed manually on Raspbian as per the instructions on https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup
I don't see a N64 or SNES emulator when I launch emulationstation, so how do I get those to appear ?
I re-ran the retropie_setup.sh script and added experimental packages 115 (N64 MUPEN64Plus) and also the ARMSNES binary , but still neither appear in the main launcher.
How best to proceed ?
Emulators only show up in emulation station if at least one rom exists in the associated rom directory, so perhaps you haven't copied a rom over yet?

SteveP402

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:40 pm

I cannot get the Retro-Pie to install properly and I followed these instructions...

I installed Rasbian and I set the memory swap to 128 for GPU

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install git

rebooted

cd
git clone --depth=1 git://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup.git

cd RetroPie-Setup
chmod +x retropie_setup.sh
sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

I chose the quick install. (the last time I used the compile install).

I used rasbi-config to set it to boot into text only. I type "sudo emulationstation" and I get the white screen saying that it "can't find any systems". Even though there are no roms yet, I should not get this. I then copied ROMs with the correct extensions into the correct folders and I still get this error.

I formatted my SD card. Installed a fresh copy of Raspbian again and have done the RetrpPie setup with the fast install and the slow install (where it compiles everything) and in both cases I get the same error. "can't find any systems".

Am I missing something? are there steps that follow that nobody is mentioning?

Thanks,
Steve

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:17 pm

you shouldn't be running emulationstation as sudo - you probably have a root owned .emulationstation folder now so you will need to chown -R pi:pi ~/.emulationstation (if your user is pi).

I would need further information to advise such as the install log (in logs/).

I have submitted a change so the emulationstation launch script will refuse to run if run as root.

quarryman

Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:40 pm

SteveP402 wrote:I cannot get the Retro-Pie to install properly and I followed these instructions...

I installed Rasbian and I set the memory swap to 128 for GPU

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install git

rebooted

cd
git clone --depth=1 git://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup.git

cd RetroPie-Setup
sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

I chose the quick install. (the last time I used the compile install).

I used rasbi-config to set it to boot into text only. I type "sudo emulationstation" and I get the white screen saying that it "can't find any systems". Even though there are no roms yet, I should not get this. I then copied ROMs with the correct extensions into the correct folders and I still get this error.

I formatted my SD card. Installed a fresh copy of Raspbian again and have done the RetrpPie setup with the fast install and the slow install (where it compiles everything) and in both cases I get the same error. "can't find any systems".

Am I missing something? are there steps that follow that nobody is mentioning?

Thanks,
Steve

I am getting something similar.

I see the following error when trying to run a Snes ROM:

echo No default app found for system snes

At the top of the runcommand.sh is

configdir="/opt/retropie/configs"
runcommand_conf="$configdir/all/runcommand.cfg"

however, this is the contents of my /opt/retropie/configs:

ls /opt/retropie/configs/all/
dispmanx.cfg retroarch.cfg retroarch.cfg.bak retroarch-core-options.cfg

Has the latest code removed the runcommand.cfg?

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:44 pm

this is another problem. Did you do a complete binary install ? we have recently merged a new branch in that changes the way emulators are launched. a default emulator should have been set up for snes when installing.

you don't need the runcommand.cfg - that just handles one setting currently.

what are the contents of /opt/retropie/configs/snes/emulators.cfg ?

I will need to see logs to be able to advise.

I'm currently doing a fresh install over raspbian to make sure everything is ok.

quarryman

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Contents of

cat /opt/retropie/configs/snes/emulators.cfg
pisnes="/opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x %ROM%"
snes9x="/opt/retropie/emulators/snes9x/snes9x %ROM%"
lr-pocketsnes="/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-pocketsnes/libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg %ROM%"
[email protected] ~ $

Is there any logs I can show also?

Yes I did a complete binary install.

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:37 pm

there is no default set - odd - I have updated runcommand so if there is no default it will force you to choose one. you can update runcommand with

Code: Select all

sudo git pull
sudo ./retropie_packages.sh runcommand install
you running on a rpi1 or rpi2 ?

I need your install log from logs/ to be able to see what has happened. they are gzip compressed - you can depack with gzip or use 7-zip or something on a pc and then upload to pastebin.com or a file hosting site. thanks.

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Please can you post the output from "git rev-parse HEAD" (from the RetroPie-Setup folder) and also "git branch"
Last edited by exobuzz on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quarryman

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:02 pm

c273111e4d30baeb324d1fb71eb44c3b33041871

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:06 pm

and you had updated the script just before install ?

the reason I'm asking, is your install is missing the default emulator for pi2 which is lr-snes9x-next - there was a bug in that it was set to be the default emulator for pi2, but was still set to "experimental" so this could have caused the snes problem. however this was fixed about 24 hours ago.

I would update your retropie-setup and run the binary install again.

runcommand won't fall over if there is no default set now anyway but instead will give you the option to choose a default.

quarryman

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't think I had updated the script right before the install. I think I got it from git yesterday.

I grabbed the latest runcommand and it prompted me to select the default emulator, which I have.

So all is working now. thanks for your help!

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:37 pm

you will be missing one of the emulators probably, so you can install lr-snes9x-next from menu 5 in retropie_setup.sh - note it will switch itself to be the default but you can change that again after. I believe this emulator is considered to be the best snes emulator for the pi2 (in terms of compatibility/audio quality etc)

Trixster

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:48 pm

So if someone already has a fully configured RetroPie installed as root are they going to have problem updating emulators from now on?

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:53 pm

they can either

a) backup their configs and re-install and run from a non root user (as designed) - running emulationstation and all the emulators as root is not a good idea.

b) launch emulation station directly from the /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation binary directly, bypassing our launch script that does the checks, or replace with their own launch script, or add their own to /usr/local/bin or something.

the retropie system is not designed to be run as root. the installer needs to be run under sudo so it can install/copy stuff where it needs, but the resulting system has always been designed to run under the user it was installed from (often user pi).

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:58 pm

They can also change the ownership of stuff so it will work under a non root user. such as

chown -R pi:pi ~/.emulationstation
chown -R pi:pi /opt/retropie/configs
Some emulators like linapple want write access to their install folder hence doing a binary install would be the best bet, as it should sort out any permissions issues.

Trixster

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Ok, I'll have a go at reinstalling as user pi.

Will it then be a case of simply copying back my roms, bios and configs directories? I've made backups of those onto a PC and its a simple matter to winscp them back into their correct positions.

exobuzz

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Trixster wrote:Ok, I'll have a go at reinstalling as user pi.

Will it then be a case of simply copying back my roms, bios and configs directories? I've made backups of those onto a PC and its a simple matter to winscp them back into their correct positions.
it should be, although there have been some config changes recently - and a few things may have moved. also the latest retropie-setup has one rom folder per platform, and emulators are switchable on launch, so you may have to move some roms around.

Trixster

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Ok, no probs. I've made a backup image of my SD card so if it all goes south I can revert back! Thanks for the help!

lovespicyfood

Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:43 am

So I'm a total noob here...

I installed RetroPie and got my Raspberry Pi 2 to boot up and run the emulator. I attached a USB flash drive w/ SNES roms and it only copied over 91 games. The games work but I can't seem to get more roms to load.

I'm using a 32gb sd card in the Raspberry Pi and I have expanded the file system.

Any help on what I'm doing wrong?

I have also tried to manually upload C64 Roms and Atari 8 Bit Roms w/ no success...

Thank you in advance for your help!

adcooney

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:44 am

This doesn't answer your actual question but there are other ways to get roms onto it. I don't actually know the reason a USB isn't working.
You can use Filezilla (an FTP client - https://filezilla-project.org/ or some other FTP client) to copy the files to your pi from a PC. Its pretty simple to do. Start it up, get the IP of you pi by either: running ifconfig on the pi or on your pc if you can access your modem the attached devices will tell you. Connect, find your roms, drag them over and its done. Requires Internet access on your Pi though.

edyb

Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:16 am

Hi, not sure if this was answered already but this was the first thread I found.

I recently made an image of RasPicade and booted it up. I had to edit configuration to allow HDMI safe mode but that's another story.

Anyways, I am trying to load Roms on the SD card and not sure the best way how. I can put the roms on a USB stick but I'm not sure how to mount it to copy things over. Another option is to boot up my laptop using a Live CD and mount the SD card, maybe that will let me see the folders?

On another note, is there any utility included to increase the partition to the full 8 gb size of my card?

Thanks for any help.

edyb

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 am

I figured out the answer to my own question. If it helps anyone...

Used fdisk -l to see where the USB stick was found. It was under /dev/sda.

I made directory using mkdir /mnt/sda. Then I used mount /dev/sda /mnt/sda. Then I was able to get the files copied over from /mnt/sda to the roms dir, which happens to be under /home/pi/roms/roms_mame4all using cp /mnt/sda/*.*

Then rebooted using sudo shutdown -r now

Note for most commands I needed to put "sudo" in front to make it work.

Another question... I noticed the game renders with scanlines... almost like half the horizontal lines are showing. Any way to fix that or change emulator settings?

bladestone387

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:40 am

pleasse help... i have been through 3 different guides (all of which say the same way
to do the install) and keep getting the same error...

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y git dialog
cd
git clone git://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup.git
cd RetroPie-Setup
sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

Unknown platform - please manually set the __platform variable to one of the following:
 armv7-mali generic-x11 odroid-cl rpi1 rpi2 x86

uname -a
Linux LivingRoom-RPI 4.1.7+ #1 wed nov 18 09:17:19 IST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

uname -i
unknown

im trying to build an image for my pi before i burn it... im getting a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B quad
core but im 'building' my image on a qemu arm emulator under win 10... i have installed kodi
already with no issues ive blown this off a few times in the past to pick it back up and just be
stuck at the same spot... i was going to do the img but 1) it doesnt load under qemu(or atleast
wants more than max 256mb ram can set for qemu) 2.) using a x300 image as my base to have
lxde, ldm, scratch, console options all at startup without a bunch of install and setup...

what am i doing wrong here... i have done the chmod to the dir and the files, have even tried running
the packages.sh and got the same error... this happens in both X and console for installing i have set
my video ram from 16-128 and still get the same error... im really lost here... any ideas will be grateful
and attempted....

my free space is 11 GB out of a 19 GB img
running debian wheezy
"latest" raspberry pi kernel(4.1.7) on the img(realize might have to redo it for final burn just to be on safe side)
dphys-swapfile is set to 4000 Mb
Last edited by bladestone387 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Gaming”