AndyD206

Original Controllers for Original Consoles

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:00 am

I have the NES, SNES, and Sega emulators working with sound and everything is great but I feel like I am getting in over my head with the next step.

I have 2 NES controllers, 2 SNES controllers, and 2 Sega controllers all with usb converters and a 10 port USB hub.

Is it even possible to configure RetroPi to use the NES controllers with the NES console, SNES controllers with the SNES console, and Sega with Sega?

If so, could someone please point me in the right direction. I am pulling my hair out in noob frustration.

Thanks in advance for your help with this and for PetRock and everyone else that has been working on this to make it so great.

Aloshi

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm

It is possible to configure RetroArch using RetroPie's "specialized" configs for individual systems. Instead of configuring your joystick in the "global" config file, you want to put it in the specialized config files. Something like "retroarch-joyconfig -o RetroPie/configs/SYSTEM/retroarch.cfg". You might need the -j command to specify the joystick ID.

Unfortunately, configuring ES to use all of the joysticks is near impossible at the moment (because I designed it short-sightedly). There was some discussion here: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/issues/42

craigsmith86

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:02 pm

I updated my Retropie setup to pull DGEN v1.31 instead. It has compiled okay so I'll test out the previous suggestions to run an exit command from the prompt. Perhaps I'll just append my DGEN run script to use the new key command and see how I get on

craigsmith86

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 pm

hi, I use xbox 360 pad,
1- do you know how to set controller button to exit emulator?
2- which overclock have I to set?
3- Is there a way to start "emulationstation" on a ssh terminal and video output to TV? because I use raspberry without a keyboard.
You should be able to set emulationstation to start instead of X from the Retropie-setup script. Very easy to do and means you don't have to mess about with launching it manually. Exiting ES then sends you back to a terminal.

I'm still playing about with button mapping for Sega emulators but I have most others working by appending an exit command to the /all/retroarch.cfg file. See my earlier posts for details; though I think the button you want is "10" and not "9" as I mentioned earlier... bearing in mind I'm using a wired controller

craigsmith86

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 pm

I can confirm that an exit button is mappable using an update dgen emulator. Here are the steps I took to get everything working:

1 change the Retropie-Setup script to pull the newer version of dgens from sourceforge. This is as simple as changing all the references to dgen-1.30 to 1.31

2 use the modded script to grab the newer version of dgens

3 go and make a cup of tea / grab a beer

4 edit the es_system file ~/.emulationstation/es_systems so that your Genesis emulator has the new path to your updated dgen (both versions are installed side by side currently) as default the command is simply 'dgen -f %ROM' yours should now read:

/home/USER/RetroPie/emulators/dgen-sdl-1.31/dgen -f %ROM

save and exit

5 to get the controller working with an exit command, append the ~/.dgen/dgenrc config file with the following (as posted earlier in the thread) you might want to add a command for each joypad you have connected:

joypad1_bX = -- key_quityou'll have to add whatever button you're using to quit. but if you're using a wired Xbox pad it will be "10"

save config and exit. Relaunch emulationstation by command or type exit on the terminal (assuming you have it set up to launch on boot) an Voila. Your MegaDrive roms should be exiting on command.

6 Bin the keyboard and use your retropie just as you had always imagined.

Simonatron

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:48 pm

craigsmith86 wrote:I can confirm that an exit button is mappable using an update dgen emulator. Here are the steps I took to get everything working:

1 change the Retropie-Setup script to pull the newer version of dgens from sourceforge. This is as simple as changing all the references to dgen-1.30 to 1.31

4 edit the es_system file ~/.emulationstation/es_systems so that your Genesis emulator has the new path to your updated dgen (both versions are installed side by side currently) as default the command is simply 'dgen -f %ROM' yours should now read:

save and exit

5 to get the controller working with an exit command, append the ~/.dgen/dgenrc config file with the following (as posted earlier in the thread) you might want to add a command for each joypad you have connected:

joypad1_bX = -- key_quityou'll have to add whatever button you're using to quit. but if you're using a wired Xbox pad it will be "10"

save config and exit. Relaunch emulationstation by command or type exit on the terminal (assuming you have it set up to launch on boot) an Voila. Your MegaDrive roms should be exiting on command.

I have done everything you have mentioned here and now when I try and run DGEN I get the following error:-

sdl: can't init SDL: Unable to open a console terminal
main: Couldn't initialize graphics!

Anyone else had the error? Or is it just me :S

petrockblog

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:53 pm

I have now updated the RetroPie script. After having migrated the blog site to another provider it is now possible (again) to offer binaries for a faster installation. Many issues from the list in the repository have been worked on and a few further enhancements were implemented. It is now possible, e.g., to install a custom splash screen or to update the RetroPie script itself from within the menu. Also the handling of the theme files was adapted to the recent changes in Emulation Station, thanks to Aloshi!

There were quite a few contributors to the latest issues and I want to say thank you to all of them!

If you find some bugs, please report them here.

BTW: With the self-hosted blog site, it would be possible to provide an image download of a whole distribution. What do you think about this? Do you have other ideas or suggestions for future enhancements of the site?
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

craigsmith86

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 pm

I have done everything you have mentioned here and now when I try and run DGEN I get the following error:-

are you running DGEN from command line or do you get that message when trying to run a rom through emulationstation?

What happens when you try to run DGEN from inside the new 1.31 folder in ~/RetroPie/emulators ?

kalehrl

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:10 pm

petrockblog wrote:I have now updated the RetroPie script. After having migrated the blog site to another provider it is now possible (again) to offer binaries for a faster installation. Many issues from the list in the repository have been worked on and a few further enhancements were implemented. It is now possible, e.g., to install a custom splash screen or to update the RetroPie script itself from within the menu. Also the handling of the theme files was adapted to the recent changes in Emulation Station, thanks to Aloshi!

There were quite a few contributors to the latest issues and I want to say thank you to all of them!

If you find some bugs, please report them here.

BTW: With the self-hosted blog site, it would be possible to provide an image download of a whole distribution. What do you think about this? Do you have other ideas or suggestions for future enhancements of the site?
Thank you for the update.
I notice that binaries download doesn't work:
http://downloads.petrockblock.com/Retro ... 13.tar.bz2
Themes download works fine.
Also, gngeo, osmose and eduke32 binaries are not included in the binaries archive according to this script:
https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... ownload.sh

Simonatron

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 pm

craigsmith86 wrote:

are you running DGEN from command line or do you get that message when trying to run a rom through emulationstation?

What happens when you try to run DGEN from inside the new 1.31 folder in ~/RetroPie/emulators ?
Sorry, yes, I do receive that error in a terminal window.

Within emulation station the Roms fail to load and kicks you back to the selection screen. On quitting (F4) you get the following error ;-

rc: dgenrc:6:18: syntax error, aborting5840 bytes

craigsmith86

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Within emulation station the Roms fail to load and kicks you back to the selection screen. On quitting (F4) you get the following error ;-

I've just had a look at my previous post, my formatting for the key_quit command looks wrong (for some reason I have two hyphens for no reason!!)

my post reads:
joypad1_bX = --key_quit

while it should have read:
joypad1_bX = key_quit

If your dgenrc has "--" then that would go some way to explain the syntax error. Try editing that first and try again. If that works, then it's my bad. I need to preview stuff more before posting ¬_¬

If that doesn't work can you post the contents of your dgenrc file for comparison. Perhaps you could point your dgen launch command to the rc file specifically to make sure it is trying to load it. add something like this to your es_system config so your dgen path reads something like this:

command: /home/USER/RetroPie/emulators/dgen-sdl-1.31/dgen -r /home/USER/.dgen/dgenrc -f %ROM

hope that helps

Simonatron

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:57 pm

craigsmith86 wrote:

I've just had a look at my previous post, my formatting for the key_quit command looks wrong (for some reason I have two hyphens for no reason!!)

my post reads:
joypad1_bX = --key_quit

while it should have read:
joypad1_bX = key_quit

If your dgenrc has "--" then that would go some way to explain the syntax error. Try editing that first and try again. If that works, then it's my bad. I need to preview stuff more before posting ¬_¬

If that doesn't work can you post the contents of your dgenrc file for comparison. Perhaps you could point your dgen launch command to the rc file specifically to make sure it is trying to load it. add something like this to your es_system config so your dgen path reads something like this:

command: /home/USER/RetroPie/emulators/dgen-sdl-1.31/dgen -r /home/USER/.dgen/dgenrc -f %ROM

hope that helps

That has done the trick! Works a treat now and the exit button is working correctly.

Dont worry, you wouldn't be the first person to type something wrong! You got me as far as I did :)

Many thanks!

ironKERRtain

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:50 pm

craigsmith86 wrote:I can confirm that an exit button is mappable using an update dgen emulator. Here are the steps I took to get everything working:

save and exit

Sorry I'm pretty much a newbie to all of this. If I change the RetroPie Setup config file to pull dgen1.31, can I run the setup again with it only installing the newer version of dgen but not re-do everything else? I've been lucky enough to get absolutely everything else working great (except exiting out of Genesis and NeoGeo roms with joypad) so I would prefer it not try to re-install everything again.

craigsmith86

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Working from memory here, as I can't get at my pi atm.

If you run the setup script once you have modified the version and choose then setup option (second one down I think) there will be an option in there to install degen. Choosing that option won't reinstall everything but will still take a while on the pi.

Hope that helps.

ironKERRtain

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:00 pm

craigsmith86 wrote:Working from memory here, as I can't get at my pi atm.

If you run the setup script once you have modified the version and choose then setup option (second one down I think) there will be an option in there to install degen. Choosing that option won't reinstall everything but will still take a while on the pi.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I successfully updating to DGen 1.31 and can now exit roms with my joystick! I went into the first option in the retropie setup.sh file and deselected everything except dgen (also changed the paths to grab 1.31) and it worked like a champ. Thanks!!!

Now just trying to figure out exiting roms in with a joypad in Osmose (for game gear and master system games) and Neo Geo.

craigsmith86

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 pm

I'll be having a look at the mastersystem setup myself tomorrow. If you make any progress let us know here.

From what I can see from my tinkering at the weekend osmose does not have the same setup as dgen when it comes to key mapping and will likely be more of a struggle

ironKERRtain

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 pm

craigsmith86 wrote:I'll be having a look at the mastersystem setup myself tomorrow. If you make any progress let us know here.

From what I can see from my tinkering at the weekend osmose does not have the same setup as dgen when it comes to key mapping and will likely be more of a struggle
I've done some tinkering and playing and from the information I can find, you have to go to
~.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
and in the lines that launch Osmose for Game Gear and Master System (there are separate entries to change), it currently says:

COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/osmose-0.8.1+rpi20121122/osmose %ROM% -joy -tv -fs

The -joy is what makes the joypad work. I have only found 3 keys to map, Start, button 1 and button 2. You can do this by modifying the lines to say:

COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/osmose-0.8.1+rpi20121122/osmose %ROM% -joy -joy1 1 -joy2 0 -joystart 9-tv -fs

The above line meaning btn 1 is mapped to joystick btn 1, button 2 is mapped to joystick btn 0, and start is mapped to btn 9 (on my controller). I haven't found a way to map the QUIT command to a joystick button. I have looked inside the Osmose.ini file located in RetroPie/Supplementary/Osmose Files but it only contains info for modifying keyboard keys, it shows nothing about joysticks. I'm guessing because we are editing the launch command for the emulator in the es_systems.cfg file is why I don't see anything for the joystick in the osmose.ini file. So that's as far as my noob research has gotten me.

cohesioN241

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 am

Compiled the latest script yesterday from a blank SD card (running Raspbian Wheezy). Getting the following errors under "Emulators and Cores"
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/fceu-next/fceumm-code/libretro.so does NOT exist.
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/Genesis-Plus-GX/libretro.so does NOT exist.
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/libretro-prboom/libretro.so does NOT exist.
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/gambatte-libretro/libgambatte/libretro.so does NOT exist.
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/vba-next/libretro.so does NOT exist.
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/uae4all/uae4all does NOT exist.
Attempted to recompile the entire process again, but still having the same issues. Any help appreciated!

petrockblog

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:41 am

cohesioN241 wrote:Compiled the latest script yesterday from a blank SD card (running Raspbian Wheezy). Getting the following errors under "Emulators and Cores"
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/fceu-next/fceumm-code/libretro.so does NOT exist.
/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/gambatte-libretro/libgambatte/libretro.so does NOT exist.
Attempted to recompile the entire process again, but still having the same issues. Any help appreciated!
Does the binaries-based installation work for you?

ti84

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 pm

@ petrockblog

wrote: petrockblog

Yes..please provide an image download of a whole distribution...that would be great. I am going to buy RASP PI model A....therefore, just the image would be perfect..thank you

jonwarner

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Wanted to share this with you, to say thanks, and also hopefully to inspire anyone else’s project.
Below are some images to my finished SNES project. Concept: Embed a Raspberry Pi within a SNES console, keeping the interfaces as close to an original as possible. It’s pretty neat (if I do say so myself!) and great fun with friends round.

Software: retroarch, and GPIO use of original SNES controllers using SNESdev. Thanks so much for petrockblog on your work… I’m a complete newbie to linux and wouldn’t have even known where to start without this. Thanks for sharing all your wiring schematics etc. also – great work. Using EmulationStation to select games – thanks to Aloshi for this. I still have some work to do to understand themes!

Features: Broken SNES of eBay. Input power via USB with original Power On/Off switch. Output Video / Audio via HDMI. Reset button allows Game Exit / Shutdown using SNESdev. Controller hookup using SNESdev (via 3.3v). LED using 5v and 2k2 resistor. Pi mounted on an RS components base so it can be removed if necessary.

Config: SDL audio and 44100. Video_smooth set to false. Clocked to 900Mhz. Majority of games work great.

Software is a few months out of date, so may attack that in future. Getting themes working with proper artwork would also be cool. Also on the wishlist is replacing base with a clear plastic sheet so that its inner workings can be seen by turning it upside down.

Thanks again guys :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/ff6e54.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ilembm.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/5d84g0.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/30tkuio.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2m27za8.jpg

cohesioN241

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:27 am

petrockblog wrote:
cohesioN241 wrote:Compiled the latest script yesterday from a blank SD card (running Raspbian Wheezy). Getting the following errors under "Emulators and Cores"
Does the binaries-based installation work for you?
Ran the binary installation this afternoon, everything started working! For future compiling, do you need to run both the source and the binary installations? I only ran the source originally and ran into errors.

petrockblog

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 am

cohesioN241 wrote: Ran the binary installation this afternoon, everything started working! For future compiling, do you need to run both the source and the binary installations? I only ran the source originally and ran into errors.
Good to hear that it is working for you now!
No, the source-based installation should also work. I will have a look into that.

petrockblog

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 am

jonwarner wrote:Wanted to share this with you, to say thanks, and also hopefully to inspire anyone else’s project.
Below are some images to my finished SNES project. Concept: Embed a Raspberry Pi within a SNES console, keeping the interfaces as close to an original as possible. It’s pretty neat (if I do say so myself!) and great fun with friends round.

Software: retroarch, and GPIO use of original SNES controllers using SNESdev. Thanks so much for petrockblog on your work… I’m a complete newbie to linux and wouldn’t have even known where to start without this. Thanks for sharing all your wiring schematics etc. also – great work. Using EmulationStation to select games – thanks to Aloshi for this. I still have some work to do to understand themes!

Features: Broken SNES of eBay. Input power via USB with original Power On/Off switch. Output Video / Audio via HDMI. Reset button allows Game Exit / Shutdown using SNESdev. Controller hookup using SNESdev (via 3.3v). LED using 5v and 2k2 resistor. Pi mounted on an RS components base so it can be removed if necessary.

Config: SDL audio and 44100. Video_smooth set to false. Clocked to 900Mhz. Majority of games work great.

Software is a few months out of date, so may attack that in future. Getting themes working with proper artwork would also be cool. Also on the wishlist is replacing base with a clear plastic sheet so that its inner workings can be seen by turning it upside down.

Thanks again guys :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/ff6e54.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ilembm.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/5d84g0.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/30tkuio.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2m27za8.jpg
Glad that SNESDev is of use for you!

I really like your work!

geekmiki

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 am

Hi,

First of all thanks to petrockblog for his great work and dedication on RetroPie.

I've successfully installed Retropie and I've been running a couple of roms and everything seems fine. There are one point that is annoying me and that I'd like to finetune:

With smoothing on, the result is way too blurry and when it's off it's a bit too pixelated. Is there a possibility to find a compromise here? A sharper image, not blurry and not too pixelated?
For example activating a filter like TV Mode on snes9x?

Thank for your help!

Return to “Gaming”