Aloshi

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:56 pm

derus wrote:4. Is there a way to change the display resolution of emulationstation?
I would like to set it on 640x480, what is the maximum resolution of the playable games.
You can use the "-w" and "-h" parameters, e.g. "emulationstation -w 640 -h 480". You can add the arguments directly into the RetroPie ES launch script (edit /usr/bin/emulationstation) if you want it to always happen.

Ender

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi, I've installed RetroPie, and I've played a few GBC games, and I'm having trouble saving. i have tried just exiting, as i have read that that would do the trick, i have tried going to the menu (in the gbc) and selected the savestate. but none of this has worked, and with my very limited skills, i can't figure out what to do to make it work?

derus

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:26 am

You can use the "-w" and "-h" parameters, e.g. "emulationstation -w 640 -h 480". You can add the arguments directly into the RetroPie ES launch script (edit /usr/bin/emulationstation) if you want it to always happen.
Do i have to do that in the terminal? That doesnt work:
Warning unknown mime-type for "/usr/bin/emulationstation" -- using application/octet-stream"
Error: no write permission for file "/usr/bin/emulationstation"

If i try the same with sudo it says: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/octet-stream

Sorry, i am a total beginner at this :?

By the way, i have another question: How can i change the themes of emulationstation. If i am trying to open the *.xml-files of the themes at LXDE nothing happens...

KitchUK

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:39 pm

derus wrote:
Do i have to do that in the terminal? That doesnt work:
Warning unknown mime-type for "/usr/bin/emulationstation" -- using application/octet-stream"
Error: no write permission for file "/usr/bin/emulationstation"

If i try the same with sudo it says: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/octet-stream

Sorry, i am a total beginner at this :?

By the way, i have another question: How can i change the themes of emulationstation. If i am trying to open the *.xml-files of the themes at LXDE nothing happens...
if you want to change the themese I would recommend using 'Cyberduck' on PC or Mac. You can then create a link over the internet with the pi and edit files as you see fit. I uses this along with 'Notepad+' and can edit certain segments of the xml files.

matty_g_8

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 am

I have my snes controller hooked up. I start emulationstation and input the controls for the main menu and that works but when I scroll to the input configuration to configure the controllers for the emulators it doesn't open.

I exit emulationstation and it says

Sh:1: /home/pi/retropie/roms/esconfig/start.sh: permission denied

derus

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Aloshi wrote:You can use the "-w" and "-h" parameters, e.g. "emulationstation -w 640 -h 480". You can add the arguments directly into the RetroPie ES launch script (edit /usr/bin/emulationstation) if you want it to always happen.
I wrote that in the script and emulationstation starts normal. No resolution Change. If i tried to exit with f4 it created a window with the resolution of 640x480 in the upper left corner and i couldnt exit the emulationstation anymore.

I didnt had the chance to edit the change back and had to install RetroPie again form beginning... :(

noob

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:42 pm

How long was your average setup time? Mine is taking over 3hours to install

fawked

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:13 pm

yikes, this thread is massive. i'm having an issue where when i select a rom, weather is SEGA,NES,SNES,ATARI, it zooms in on the menu, i see some code run quickly, then it goes back to the menu. not sure how to resolve this? thanks in advance for a prompt response
kyle
EDIT: so i did some spelunking and i get the problem
"/home/pi/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh: line13: retroarch: command not found"
EDIT 2: i just did another fresh install, though this time i installed ALL the emulators. how can i safely remove the emu's i don't want to use now that ES works?
also, thanks for the reply i did receive, glad i wasn't the only one having the problem
Last edited by fawked on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KitchUK

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Any on else been having the system lock up when exiting a emulator? Really annoying when I get so far in Super Mario World and then exit and I lose all my progress! This problem is so annoying!

petrockblog

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 pm

KitchUK wrote:Any on else been having the system lock up when exiting a emulator? Really annoying when I get so far in Super Mario World and then exit and I lose all my progress! This problem is so annoying!
Are you using the SD-card image? Or the binaries- or source-based installation? Are you using HDMI or RCA? Which power supply are you using?
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

matty_g_8

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:14 am

When trying to configure controllers for dgen thru emulationstation I get a script error appear when I try to save the settings

Any ideas?

KitchUK

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:53 pm

petrockblog wrote:
KitchUK wrote:Any on else been having the system lock up when exiting a emulator? Really annoying when I get so far in Super Mario World and then exit and I lose all my progress! This problem is so annoying!
Are you using the SD-card image? Or the binaries- or source-based installation? Are you using HDMI or RCA? Which power supply are you using?
Hi, I'm using the 1.7 image, then I updated all binaries with your script. I'm also running through HDMI. Every thing seems to be working fine apart from this bug when leaving the emulator. It might happen to other emulators but I've not tried that. My power supply is:

Input: AC100-240V (UK)
Output: DC 5.0V, 1000mA

I posted a comment on Aloshis github because I noticed a few other people have had the same problem.

Uplift

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm selling my RetroPie gaming hardware..

PetRockBlog PIE Acrylic Case, GPIO Adapter, SNES Connector and Official SNES Controller.. a full setup to get you started:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 93&t=54450

MarcusPatrickWomack

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:22 am

Sorry if in wrong thread but searched for "vnc retropie" and "vnc retroarch" and couldn't find anything.

I'm running 1.7 of RetroPie downloaded from http://blog.petrockblock.com/download/r ... ect-image/. Before starting on the basic config I exited out to the command prompt so I could setup static IP's for ethernet and wifi usb and then download/install/configure tightvnc. Everything went fine until I rebooted after running sudo update-rc.d tightvnc defaults. Now I get the retroarch splash screen, goes to black screen and nothing else happens.

I can VNC in and kick around but not sure why I'm not longer automatically moving forward in retroarch. Any suggestions for a relative noob?

ChaosAffect

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:05 am

RetroPie v1.7 tweaked for BerryBoot, if anyone's interested:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tZOR5 ... sp=sharing

petrockblog

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:46 pm

MarcusPatrickWomack wrote:Sorry if in wrong thread but searched for "vnc retropie" and "vnc retroarch" and couldn't find anything.

I'm running 1.7 of RetroPie downloaded from http://blog.petrockblock.com/download/r ... ect-image/. Before starting on the basic config I exited out to the command prompt so I could setup static IP's for ethernet and wifi usb and then download/install/configure tightvnc. Everything went fine until I rebooted after running sudo update-rc.d tightvnc defaults. Now I get the retroarch splash screen, goes to black screen and nothing else happens.

I can VNC in and kick around but not sure why I'm not longer automatically moving forward in retroarch. Any suggestions for a relative noob?
It might be that you need to disable the asplashscreen service. You could do this either manually or with the help of the RetroPie Setup Script.

matty_g_8

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:58 pm

matty_g_8 wrote:When trying to configure controllers for dgen thru emulationstation I get a script error appear when I try to save the settings

Any ideas?
anyone know what I should do...might try a reinstall

MarcusPatrickWomack

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:44 am

petrockblog wrote:
MarcusPatrickWomack wrote:Sorry if in wrong thread but searched for "vnc retropie" and "vnc retroarch" and couldn't find anything.

It might be that you need to disable the asplashscreen service. You could do this either manually or with the help of the RetroPie Setup Script.
Was able to remove the splash screen from the setup script. But once I loaded VNC back into the init.d and rebooted, VNC started fine but EmulationStation failed to load on boot. Went back into setup routine for RetroPie and made sure to enable EmulationStation on boot but no change. Wonky, heh. Went in and removed VNC from init.d, rebooted, and EmulationStation cranked up fine on reboot.

petrockblog

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:33 pm

matty_g_8 wrote:
matty_g_8 wrote:When trying to configure controllers for dgen thru emulationstation I get a script error appear when I try to save the settings

Any ideas?
I have very little experience with ES-Config, but you could report this at https://github.com/Aloshi/ES-config/issues, which is the issues list of the ES-Config project.

matty_g_8

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm

petrockblog wrote:
matty_g_8 wrote:

Any ideas?
I have very little experience with ES-Config, but you could report this at https://github.com/Aloshi/ES-config/issues, which is the issues list of the ES-Config project.
I managed to fix it with the retropie script and reinstalling es-config

NITROgaming

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:39 am

Im back, after a month of self testing found out issue with mame emulator and have a last few questions before i seal the ps2 up with gorilla glue (wont stay shut any other way):
-were exactly is the gbsp config file in file browser.
-my analogue sticks only work as d-pads in mame, how to fix?(using ps2 controllers through usb adapter)
-I CANT HEAR THE MUSIC IN MAME GAMES, i know its there because i can catch a beat or two and my reactive leds flash to the bass, but thats it... Sound fx are as clear as day (ex. Explosions, gunfire)
Thanks ahead for any more help!!!
Visit my site at www.n2o1gaming.weebly.com to download my music and see some cool projects!

jasperdejong

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi all,

This may well be a stupid question: I flashed the latest version of retropie (v1.8.1) on an SD card and gave it a spin. Can it be that this version does not contain an amiga emulator? There no uae4rpi executables to be found anywhere. There is a folder ~/RetroPie/emulators/uae4rpi but this contains no programs only sources? Can anyone confirm? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Garremp

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02 pm

I am sorry, i feel like i am hijacking this thread, but i do no know where else to post this question.
I am using Xbian as base distro and cloned, compiled and configured RetroPie with selected emulators. Works great! The only problem remaining is that i have to exit xbmc and enter username and password to start emulation station from terminal. I would like to use a script to automatically start ES as soon as i exit xbmc but when i start the script as a cronjob without sudo i get nothing but a login prompt and when i start ES with a sudo i get a white dot in the middle of the screen. ES really doesn't like to be started with super user rights.

Here is the script i am using:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

echo Waiting for XBMC to start...

while ( ! pidof -s xbmc.bin)
do
	echo XBMC not present, waiting...
	sleep 5
done

echo XBMC found, waiting for it to get closed

while (pidof -s xbmc.bin)
do
	echo XBMC present, waiting...
	sleep 5
done

echo XBMC gone, starting ES...
/home/xbian/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation/emulationstation &
this is what i have tried so far to start that script:
"sudo crontab -e" ES only starts to a white dot on the screen
"crontab -e" login prompt
modifying "rc.local" to start this script: login prompt
starting the script without the part where it waits for xbmc to be started after i logged in and executed the script from command line: works fine.
starting ES from command line without sudo: Works fine.
starting ES from command line with sudo: White dot.

Thanks for reading and sorry if this is off topic.

Sato

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:34 pm

I've got RetroPie fully installed over a debian image. Would it be possible to use it, whilst running a web server in the background? I'm learning web dev stuff, it would be quite cool to have a web server/gaming monster machine :D

Return to “Gaming”