moblo

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 pm

petrockblog wrote:Please also have a look at http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top ... #post-2341 and the following two posts there.
Thats completely solved my issue. Thanks for that.

Big D

Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:35 am

I tried installing RetroPie using the Source option, but when it finished compiling the debug list says that RetroArch did not compile or install successfully(or something like that.) Any fix for this? Thanks

EDIT: I got it to work by using the RetroPie SD-Card image. This was actually the first thing I tried but it would never work. I got it to work by editing some files prior to booting.

Now I've got to research things like changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 and editing controls for non-retroarch systems.

New question: I ran a test in SNES with Zelda Link to the Past, and there is some slowdown as soon as I step outside right at the beginning of the game. I have overclocked to moderate. I read that it could be my SD-Card? I have a Sandisk 16gb Class 4. Would a higher class card help with this, or are there some settings I can change to make it run at full speed?

EDIT 2: I got a faster class 10 sd card, still experiencing slowdown in snes. Anyone know what I can do to fix this? Thanks!

maple

SNES Slowdown

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 pm

I used to be able to play SNES games full speed, with audio, at a moderate (900 MHz) overclock. The only changes I made back then to the retroarch.cfg file were to set the audio sample rate to 44100 with the sdl backend.

When I tried overclocking to Turbo, it messed up the SD card (class 10 Sandisk 16gb). I reformatted the SD card, reinstalled Raspbian, and reinstalled RetroPie. Both Raspbian and RetroPie had newer versions. Now, I get noticeable slowdown with the audio on, despite having the same settings from before.

Does anyone know why this might happen? (e.g. bad SD card, software, hardware?)

Aloshi

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 pm

Big D - you could try using one of the other emulators (e.g. PiSNES). You can change which emulator is launched by editing ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg (there are some comments explaining what to change), assuming PiSNES is compiled.

Maple - how old was your previous install? Also, you should probably leave the audio driver for RetroArch as alsa, it's improved from what it used to be and should be faster than sdl.

moblo

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 am

I was hoping someone could help me get my DGEN up and running. I changed runcommand on all of the emulators and they all started to work on my composite display. All except DGEN. For some reason, it still just goes to commandline, shows the white dot and crashes back to emulationstation. I have tried different roms in both .bin and .smd formats to no luck. Poking around the settings, I cant seem to find anything that is causing this. Any ideas?

Paperboy

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:49 pm

It is my understanding that DGEN just wont work on composite... I dnt really knw the tech reason but i do all my retropie stuff on a little 14" sharp crt tv so composite... This was the only emu that threw up the same error as u describe.. I tried it on my hdmi tv and it worked fine... I did loads of reading on the topic and that was my conclusion .. DGEN doent work on composite connex..
Hope this helps.
PB

moblo

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:48 am

Paperboy wrote:It is my understanding that DGEN just wont work on composite... I dnt really knw the tech reason but i do all my retropie stuff on a little 14" sharp crt tv so composite... This was the only emu that threw up the same error as u describe.. I tried it on my hdmi tv and it worked fine... I did loads of reading on the topic and that was my conclusion .. DGEN doent work on composite connex..
Hope this helps.
PB
Thanks for your reply. At least Im not the only one. Could anyone shed some light as to why this is the case and how we could go about fixing this? Megadrive is my favourite console!

EDIT: having searched the forum, It appears that DGEN does work through composite if it is launched through commandline. I havent tried this, but may hold the key.

Aloshi

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:33 pm

I remember there was some discussion in a GitHub issue about launching DGen with the dispmanx-enabled SDL library to get around the black screen on composite problem. I think the latest version of RetroPie has a commented line in ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg that you can use to change the launch command.

moblo

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Aloshi wrote:I remember there was some discussion in a GitHub issue about launching DGen with the dispmanx-enabled SDL library to get around the black screen on composite problem. I think the latest version of RetroPie has a commented line in ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg that you can use to change the launch command.
I tried that but it made no difference. Im truly stumped.

aguirrech

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 am

Hi
Since last update Gngeo Pi 0.85 is not compiling with the source script.

Any way to make this?

pauloallex24

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi. I'm having a little trouble with controls on PSX. I set my controller with ./retroarch-joyconfig and it's working good with SNES but in PSX I only can use the up/down/left/right and a/b/x/y (-6/+6/-5/+5 and 1/2/0/3). Any idea?

EDIT: And Select/Start (8/9). The Gamepad is a DragonRise Inc. Generic USB Joystick.

Aloshi

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:28 pm

Check your ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg. Is there a mapping for L/R (which I'm assuming is what's not working)? Do the buttons work in another program, e.g. "jstest /dev/input/js0"?

pauloallex24

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 am

Aloshi wrote:Check your ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg. Is there a mapping for L/R (which I'm assuming is what's not working)? Do the buttons work in another program, e.g. "jstest /dev/input/js0"?
The Joysticks don't work to. It's a Generic gamepad like a gamepad for PS2.
I've attached my retroarch.cfg file if it helps.

EDIT: It works on jstest /dev/input/js0.
Attachments
retroarch.zip
My retroarch.cfg
(6.13 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

CPOKashue

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Apologies if this has been addressed before; I searched but couldn't find anything on it.

I recently switched from TV audio to a receiver and 5.1 speaker setup. I only get Audio from emulators via the center channel. Is there a retroarch setting to spread audio across all available speakers, or do i need to make this change manually (the receiver has a "mono" mode).

Note that I am emulating consoles that only DO mono or basic stereo so i am making the assumption that this functionality is in fact expected.

whatever

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:03 pm

I can't seem to find the Gameboy color emulator. What's the picture of it look like?

Katamari

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:46 pm

whatever wrote:I can't seem to find the Gameboy color emulator. What's the picture of it look like?
The emulators will not be visible unless there are roms with the appropriate extensions in the appropriate folder. So double check that you have the right file types and in the right location.

whatever

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 am

How do make a python script to open emulationstation?
I tried

Code: Select all

import os
os.system("emulationstation")

But that doesn't work.

KitchUK

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:19 am

Hey Retropie, will there be a fix for Mario all stars controller swap? Any kind of work around or remedy?

petrockblog

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:41 am

KitchUK wrote:Hey Retropie, will there be a fix for Mario all stars controller swap? Any kind of work around or remedy?
I have not heard of a fix or someone working on that.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Aloshi

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:06 am

I added a new game launch and return transition to ES last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAOFOwzsZN8
Still working on the acceleration curves a bit.

petrockblog

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Aloshi wrote:I added a new game launch and return transition to ES last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAOFOwzsZN8
Still working on the acceleration curves a bit.
Looks great!

I just updated the binaries for the binaries-based installation of the RetroPie Setup Script.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Eristeel

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 am

Hello everyone! i seem to have an issue. i cant seem to run emulationstation!
after looking at the log, i have gotten this:

lvl2: EmulationStation - 1.0.2.0 - built Aug 7 2013 - 15:28:11
lvl2: Starting SDL...
lvl2: Creating surface...
lvl2: Resolution: 720x336...
lvl2: Created surface successfully!
lvl2: Created font "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSerif.ttf" with size 11. textureID: 1
lvl2: Created font "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSerif.ttf" with size 15. textureID: 2
lvl2: Created font "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSerif.ttf" with size 33. textureID: 3
lvl2: Loading system config file...
lvl2: Finished loading config file - created 0 systems.
lvl0: No systems found! Does at least one system have a game present? (check that extensions match!)
lvl2: Destroying font "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSerif.ttf" with size 11.
lvl2: Destroying font "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSerif.ttf" with size 15.
lvl2: Destroying font "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSerif.ttf" with size 33.

i end up getting a black screen with a white dot. if anyone has any idea of what i can do or any advice, i would very much like to hear it! :) thank you in advance

Aloshi

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:13 am

lvl0: No systems found! Does at least one system have a game present? (check that extensions match!)
EmulationStation won't launch if it can't find any games. The extensions are listed in ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg.

meow-mix

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Heyo guys and ladies!
I'm having an issue with my RetroPie setup, I have 2 different brands of SNES USB controllers and the left and down dpad part doesn't work while in the emulators.
Both SNES USB controllers have been setup at different times, fresh installs about 4 times on a whole new SD card each time. The SNES controllers will navigate emustation; up, down, left and right no problem. But in the game emulator the left and down refuse to work. I can go left in Super Mario Bros if I press the left and down hard into the corner of the dpad, while jumping to make Mario go left while jumping. It happens on both 2 different brand SNES USB controllers. It's not the controllers really, as they will go left and down fine in emulationstation.
Is there some setting I'm missing somewhere to tweak? The SNES brands are Hydra and RetroLink, they work perfectly when navigating though.

THANKS everyone!!!

derus

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello guys! I have some problems with RetroPie:

1. How can i exit a game back to emulationstation with the Genesis, master System and atari 2600 emulators?
The hotkey setting in retroarch.cfg works fine for NES and SNES but not for the other emulators. For the GBA seems to be a solution that you can directly set up in the emulator settings, which i havent tried yet.

2. How can i run the Genesis and Master System emulators in fullscreen?
Changing "COMMAND [...] runcommand.sh 1" to 2 worked for SNES, NES and GBA but not for the Sega emulators. At the Atari games i am not sure if the black frame isnt normal...

3. Can i change the buttons for single emulators?
Par example for NES and GBA the A and B buttons are on A and B on my SNES-USB-gamepad but the Master System uses A and Y. And the Atari button is on Y, which i would prefer on the A button on my gamepad.

4. Is there a way to change the display resolution of emulationstation?
I would like to set it on 640x480, what is the maximum resolution of the playable games.

Return to “Gaming”