dennisreneholm

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 am

Could you link to a controller as a example. Or simply what kind of port i need to get the controller with?
db9... i'm thinking serial xD ?

dennisreneholm

Fri May 17, 2013 9:10 am

Will this work with Retropie?
Since this is USB, it spares me to add anything to the Pi.

marqs

Fri May 17, 2013 1:30 pm

dennisreneholm wrote:Could you link to a controller as a example. Or simply what kind of port i need to get the controller with?
db9... i'm thinking serial xD ?
Yeah, you can physically plug a multisystem joystick (e.g. Zipstik which you mentioned) to a serial port even though the protocols are completely different. There are tons of joysticks available, so I'd recommend selecting one based on what you are going to play with it (atari etc. emu? arcade games?). A large number of different controllers and joysticks can be connected to RPi via GPIO (and used with emulators), so I wouldn't worry about the compatibility as the first thing. USB-joysticks will also work if they act as standard HID game controller devices (most do).

dennisreneholm

Fri May 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Hmm, i want to use it with the amiga emulater, as my goal is to get my superfrog on again! :D

So, what should i choose, USB zipstick, or original DB9 and get the interface.
I've already ordered 2 USB NES and 2 USB SNES controlleres.

marqs

Fri May 17, 2013 4:06 pm

dennisreneholm wrote:Hmm, i want to use it with the amiga emulater, as my goal is to get my superfrog on again! :D

So, what should i choose, USB zipstick, or original DB9 and get the interface.
I've already ordered 2 USB NES and 2 USB SNES controlleres.
If you can find an original Zip Stik in good condition (and don't mind soldering a few wires to a db9 male connector), I'd go for that. With a 'retro' USB joystick, you'll likely to bump into today's build quality issues after a few rounds of your favourite button masher.

dennisreneholm

Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm

I don't mind the new button feel, i haven't played the amiga that much, i was very young and it was only when i was over at my uncle i could play it :P

So the old zipstick feel aside, the best choice is? :P

gummihu

Sat May 18, 2013 1:00 am

I have a problem, I cant seem to configure my usb gamepad, the emulator runs great and the gamepad works but it doesn't use the buttons I have been trying to configure it to, I have used joyconfig and tried manually editing the cfg files and the dgenrc. any ideas? Thanks

Aloshi

Sat May 18, 2013 2:04 am

Which systems are you having trouble with? (DGen, the Genesis emulator, uses a different config format than all the others.)

gummihu

Sat May 18, 2013 10:23 am

Ok, now I feel silly, I installed a snes rom and that had the correct configs, so the question is how is the gba emulator different.

Edit: I managed to get it to work right, had to configure the controls from the emulator menu

Ratchet123

Sat May 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Hey guys, I've got the emulator up and running, though I have an issue that is probably pretty simple but I can't figure it out. The way I have the pi setup is that it uses HDMI to send the video, but the monitor I'm hooking it to doesn't have sound, so I attached through the headphone jack some speakers, but it still defaults the audio through the HDMI. I found this out when I hooked up the pi to a television through HDMI and the sound worked great. Is there a way/how can you set it up where the default audio is through the headphone jack and the video goes through HDMI? This is the guide I used: http://supernintendopi.wordpress.com if that helps, also sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, I'll move it if you need me to.

Aloshi

Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 am

Try

Code: Select all

amixer cset numid=3 1
to set the ALSA device to the headphone jack.

(Taken from here)

Sonny_Jim

Sun May 19, 2013 2:23 pm

I've been messing around with this for a bit and thought I'd share some of my findings. My setup is:

RPi Model b
PS2 USB joypad
Composite video/analog audio

First off, I found that most of the emulators would go to a black screen from EmulationStation unless I changed 'runcommand 1' to 'runcommand 2' in .emulationstation/es_systems. Even then I found that DGEN would crash. The way around it for me was to launch it under X (xinit /path/to/dgen %ROM%).

At present I have SNES, NES, GB, GBA, PSX and Megadrive emulation working correctly but I can't seem to get uae4all to do anything but show the kickstart screen (hand holding a floppy). I don't see the disk list selection menu as alluded to in the guides. Any ideas?

ipomrawh

Mon May 20, 2013 8:08 pm

I've recently set up retropie as I just posted here. I can't seem to run a second game after exiting the first. Emulationstation seems to freeze completely. Anyone with similar experiences?

Aloshi

Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Issue on GitHub. I can't seem to reproduce it myself with the latest build. Are you sure you're using the latest build of ES? (cd into ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation and run 'git pull' then 'make' to be sure)

If you are, what's your setup? HDMI/Composite?

ipomrawh

Tue May 21, 2013 6:38 am

Aloshi wrote:Issue on GitHub. I can't seem to reproduce it myself with the latest build. Are you sure you're using the latest build of ES? (cd into ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation and run 'git pull' then 'make' to be sure)

If you are, what's your setup? HDMI/Composite?
I'm using HDMI. I've missed that github issue, but maybe it was opened after I went through the issues on ES. I'll check on the ES build this afternoon, and post an update accordingly.

ipomrawh

Thu May 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Aloshi, your fix on the AudioManager solved my issues. Thanks a lot!

Now there is only a small issue left for my pi to function as a psx emulator. I have a playstation controller to usb converter on my py, which functions perfectly. Except for the analog sticks, they do not seem to give any analog output. I've configured the controller with the retroarch-joyconfig utility, which gets all input i give it just fine, even the axis values. But within a game they don't seem to respond. (i have a normal/original ps1 dualshock controller attached). Is there any additional configuration in retroarch to be done here? Or do i need a different driver? (i'm guessing linuxraw is used now, but I don't exactly know how to verify that)

Aloshi

Thu May 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Are you not getting any output from the analog sticks, or is the output just not analog? If it's the latter, make sure you're using the explicit analog mapping. If I remember correctly it's something like "input_player1_l_x_plus = 0+" (for axis 0 positive = right).

NITROgaming

Sun May 26, 2013 12:51 am

Got the GBA emulator working great, but still cant get mame, neogeo, or sound from HDMI. I get perfect sound through RCA now through some minor changes. Still requesting assistance

THANK YOU
Visit my site at www.n2o1gaming.weebly.com to download my music and see some cool projects!

dennisreneholm

Wed May 29, 2013 4:27 pm

johnston wrote:Hi folks.

I got this installed tonight but seem to be having 2 problems (So far)

1st one I'm trying to use a DS3 through a powered USB hub for the meantime. I have SNES ones somewhere I will likely use eventually but need to find them first. Anyway when I try to configure them it's not working. I can press the button for say up then down but when I release down it's recognising something for Right(?) as I release the button. It then follows that pattern for the rest where releasing the button is triggering something.

The second problem is after that it keeps going straight into the APPLE emulator. :(

Only ROMS so far are SNES ROMs and they are in the SNES folder okay.

Any ideas where I went wrong?
Did you find a solution to this? I'm getting the same "error"
After Retropie splash, i get the little dot, and right after i get Apple emulator on. I can't go to the sides and switch or anything.
Using ES-scraper i have succesfully found my GBA, NES and SNES games, but i can't switch emulator.

Please help!

Aloshi

Wed May 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Do you mean the emulator is launching immediately, or that you can't switch to other emulators? There might be something messed up in the input configuration - check "~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg" in a text editor. The PS3 controllers usually have the sixaxis motion stuff turned on, and that gets picked up as an axis (if this is happening, you should try and turn it off at the driver level).
NITROgaming wrote:Got the GBA emulator working great, but still cant get mame, neogeo, or sound from HDMI. I get perfect sound through RCA now through some minor changes. Still requesting assistance

THANK YOU
Check your ALSA mixer settings. This page might help.

dennisreneholm

Wed May 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Aloshi wrote:Do you mean the emulator is launching immediately, or that you can't switch to other emulators? There might be something messed up in the input configuration - check "~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg" in a text editor. The PS3 controllers usually have the sixaxis motion stuff turned on, and that gets picked up as an axis (if this is happening, you should try and turn it off at the driver level).
Pi_Troubleshooting#Sound]This page might help[/url].
The emulator isn't starting at boot, but i can't switch to other emulators.
I can hear sounds when i'm prseeing up and down, but nothing is happening when i try and press right and left.

I've tried both keyboard, and USB NES controllers from Tomee.
What should i do next?

Aloshi

Wed May 29, 2013 7:46 pm

You might be hitting this bug.

Check ~/.emulationstation/es_log.txt (and if you're still having trouble, post it).

dennisreneholm

Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 pm

It sounds like my problem, but i can't see from the solution in the thread, what i exactly need to fix?

here's my log
http://pastebin.com/6nrs3P7v

EDIT:
I got it working now, sometimes i have to post the question, to find the answer myself xD
That was the bug, i changed to code in es_systems.cfg and now i can choose between emulators! :D

Sidequestion, what is the advanced menu i can activate ind the setup file? It has memory req, but is it more pretty or ?

dennisreneholm

Fri May 31, 2013 10:51 pm

I have a problem with my Wireless Xbox 360 controllers.

I've got them set up using retroarch-joyconfig, and the controls work, but very often, the buttons hang, and i need to press another button to make it stop.

What can i do to fix this?

I've only tried PSX games, since i got NES USB controllers for my NES/GB/GBC/GBA games.

EDIT:
Just tried it on some super mario 3 on the NES, and there the xbox 360 seems unresponsive, and not acting on every button press.

Is there a frequency i need to set on how often the controllers send their signal or something?
i dunno, wild guess xD

Thanks in advance for your help ! Really loving this project!

Return to “Gaming”