Lemonoid

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 am

Aloshi wrote:I believe the file you'll want to change is "~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg".
Ok, i got some things to work :)

Ive finally configured my controller for NES and SNES, but the exit method still aint working (noob here, sorry)

Ive changed the line in the same config file and the exit method still doesnt work. After changing it, didnt do nothing and the escape button still works to exit.

Am in the wrong file?

Aloshi

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:14 am

Did you change the "6" to the appropriate button on your controller? You need to look up the right button number with retroarch-joyconfig (don't write to a file, so omit the -o part, but press the button you want to use and see what number it maps to, then press Ctrl-C to exit without saving).

Lemonoid

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:40 am

Aloshi wrote:Did you change the "6" to the appropriate button on your controller? You need to look up the right button number with retroarch-joyconfig (don't write to a file, so omit the -o part, but press the button you want to use and see what number it maps to, then press Ctrl-C to exit without saving).
Yes. I tried several buttons, none of which worked.

What i did at first was to add the line under the keyboard/escape one, it didnt worked. After that i changed the keyboard line to the button one completely, didnt work either and the escape still worked inside the emulators.

I didnt even try the two lines that make the combination of buttons exit the emulator, i just inserted the 'exit' one to see if it worked.

Lemonoid

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Lemonoid wrote:
Aloshi wrote:Did you change the "6" to the appropriate button on your controller? You need to look up the right button number with retroarch-joyconfig (don't write to a file, so omit the -o part, but press the button you want to use and see what number it maps to, then press Ctrl-C to exit without saving).
Yes. I tried several buttons, none of which worked.

What i did at first was to add the line under the keyboard/escape one, it didnt worked. After that i changed the keyboard line to the button one completely, didnt work either and the escape still worked inside the emulators.

I didnt even try the two lines that make the combination of buttons exit the emulator, i just inserted the 'exit' one to see if it worked.
This is how my code is:
Please Help!

petrockblog

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Lemonoid wrote:
This is how my code is:
Please Help!
For SNES controllers polled by SNESDev, the RetroPie Script sets these parameters:

Code: Select all

input_enable_hotkey_btn = 6 
input_exit_emulator_btn = 7
in the file ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg.
With this configuration, you have to press SELECT and START and this will exit the emulator then.
The button numbers can be obtained with "jstest" or "retroarch-joystick".
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Aloshi

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Also, by preceding the line with #, it makes the line a comment, which means its ignored. So you might want to remove the #. (Also, you don't *need* the enable_hotkey mapping, but if you use it, you should set it to a different button - the purpose is to let you press 2 buttons to exit instead of 1).

HeathenDominion

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 am

First up, thankyou very much to petrockblog and everyone involved in this fantastic script, my RPi wouldn't be anywhere near as good without it.

Apologies if this has already been covered but since adding my roms emulationstation has been taking a very long time to start (30mins+). Once I run emulationstation I get the black screen with white dot, I thought it had crashed first time but didn't want to pull the power so waited and eventually the UI came on.

I dont know if it makes any difference but the roms are stored on a usb hdd which automounts on start up.

Aloshi

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:29 pm

HeathenDominion wrote:Apologies if this has already been covered but since adding my roms emulationstation has been taking a very long time to start (30mins+). Once I run emulationstation I get the black screen with white dot, I thought it had crashed first time but didn't want to pull the power so waited and eventually the UI came on.

I dont know if it makes any difference but the roms are stored on a usb hdd which automounts on start up.
Huh, this is a bit bizarre. Do you have a ton of roms? It sounds like it's taking forever to parse the directories.

HeathenDominion

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Aloshi wrote:
HeathenDominion wrote:Apologies if this has already been covered but since adding my roms emulationstation has been taking a very long time to start (30mins+). Once I run emulationstation I get the black screen with white dot, I thought it had crashed first time but didn't want to pull the power so waited and eventually the UI came on.

Huh, this is a bit bizarre. Do you have a ton of roms? It sounds like it's taking forever to parse the directories.
I do have quite a few but not an insane amount, would the lack of a gamelist.xml cause this to happen? I created them using rom2xml because es-scraper gave many of them wrong names (I ended up with several different roms showing as duplicates of the same one) and I've just noticed the ones I made seem to have disappeared from the directories.

Chief

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Has anyone got FB Alpha working via RetroPie and if so how do I configure it? I can see that it is included but I can't seem to get any roms to load even though I have a working version on my desktop.

Thanks

Aloshi

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm

HeathenDominion wrote: I do have quite a few but not an insane amount, would the lack of a gamelist.xml cause this to happen? I created them using rom2xml because es-scraper gave many of them wrong names (I ended up with several different roms showing as duplicates of the same one) and I've just noticed the ones I made seem to have disappeared from the directories.
A lack of gamelist.xml would (in theory) speed up the process. There might be a weird corrupt gamelist.xml hiding somewhere causing issues - try launching ES with the "--ignore-gamelist" argument.

petrockblog

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:38 pm

I have set up a section for custom-made splash screens that can be used for customizing the RetroPie installation. You can find it at http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/for ... shscreens/.

Feel free to share your work with others there :)
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

kavi96

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Is there any way to start emulationstation over SSH? I normally run my raspberry pi without a keyboard. When I'm in emulationstation I can use my xbox controller to navigate, so I don't need a keyboard for that, so it would be useful if I could start it over SSH, instead of having to plug in the keyboard just to start it.

Aloshi

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm

One option might be to use RetroPie's "Start EmulationStation on boot" option.

To start it over SSH, I believe you can do "export DISPLAY=:0" to make it use the monitor/TV the RPi is hooked up to before running ES (but I might be wrong, I can't remember if this only works for X applications or not).

mocherz

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:41 am

any way to get the menu working with my joysticks? Right now I have to pick games with a keyboard, then switch to joystick (which works 100%), just trying to make it all run from joystick

Aloshi

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:40 pm

EmulationStation should automatically detect any joystick that's plugged in. You can try removing the input config file in case that somehow got created without you configuring: "rm ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg". Beyond that, it should just be automatic.

Jako

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:59 am

A rare thing:

I always workd with a Retropie install from the last summer and updating that eventually (system update and upgrade, download the last RetroPie Script compilation...) everything runs awesome, better sometimes, others not, but some change can always fix that.

But i was busy the last months and i keep the same stuff that time on my custom retropie pack.
The problem is the last weekend i upgraded everything and all is ok, really nice new video driver, but the PS3 pads with the bluetooth now don't work.
With some hope i tried to download and install the new RetroPie Image (1.3) but i get the same result:
sixad says "unable to connect to sdp session" and the pads leds don't stops to blink. I'm sure that the pads are correctly paired with the bluetooth (sixpair).

I give up, i will return to my old Retropie image. I'm the only one with that problem now?

Another thing:
I see that by default the es_systems files have new emus on GameGear,MasterSystem,Megadrive and NeoGeo. None of them work, but with my old config lines now works fine, if that helps somebody...:

GameGear & Master System:
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/Genesis-Plus-GX/libretro.so %ROM% --config /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

MegaDrive:
Nothing, sure that DGEN runs better than Genesis-Plus, but on analog output only offers a black screen. :-(

NeoGeo:
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/imame4all-libretro/libretro.so %ROM% --config /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
(Runs perfect with the mame4all romset but don't save high scores)

Spectrum:
Don't work from ES ¿?¿?

eDuke32:
Never worked :-(

PSX:
Very very very nice to use isos in .CBN format, that fixes the boot error of some games, the compression are higger, don't rips the soundtracks, more compatibility and faster reading system by blocks.

But that are small issues, i like too much the idea of a standard image and I only have to say congratulations for the project, that is growing fast! Can i help in some way? Maybe is usefull to share my config of the systems, pads, some script to select the kind of input to use before start ES, add mp3 music during the gameplay, themes, etc...
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

LOBrien

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:02 am

I finally got the emulator up and running. I've only ran into a few minor problems along the way which were easy to solve. Here's two of the only problems I cannot solve.

1. When I configured EmulationStation controller inputs, I accidentally used my USB NES controller. I can browse and select ROMs with this controller, but as soon as I start a ROM, my input goes from the controller to the keyboard.

2. I have an original NES controller along with a Retro-Bit NES to USB adapter. You said most controllers are plug and play, but when I plug in my NES to USB adapter and plug in my Pi, It does not seem to like this adapter, and doesn't boot. During boot it hangs at this:

Entering kdb (current=0xc6820c80, pid 1) due to Keyboard Entry
kdb>

Any ideas how to correct this? Thanks.

chris57100

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 am

Hello all,
I would like to use EmulationStation on my pi with X installed. I am aware that it's not a good idea to run it under X11 so i created a script to exit X, run EmulationStation and restart X when existing the emulation with a restore of previous opened windows.
The script works great to exit and get back but emulationstation does not start saying that SDL cannot be initialized due to different reasons (i checked that my user is in all groups, X is not running)
If i start manually emulationstation it works.
My idea is that it could be due to a missing tty associated to the script (executed from X using nohup to not get killed when X is closed)
Any idea how i could make the emulationstation executed ?
Thank you
Raspberry Pi Home Server : http://www.pihomeserver.fr
Software and electronic tutorials : Samba, Airplay, CUPS, Time machine, Nginx, Owncloud, rTorrent, Wordpress, etc.
Full Wi-Fi hotspot installation on a RPi 3 including a captive portal and freeradius management: https://github.com/pihomeserver/Kupiki-Hotspot-Script

Aloshi

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:11 pm

LOBrien wrote:1. When I configured EmulationStation controller inputs, I accidentally used my USB NES controller. I can browse and select ROMs with this controller, but as soon as I start a ROM, my input goes from the controller to the keyboard.
You must configure the emulator's controller stuff separately. Some more info here: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... mulator%3F

Jako

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:26 pm

LOBrien wrote: 1. When I configured EmulationStation controller inputs, I accidentally used my USB NES controller. I can browse and select ROMs with this controller, but as soon as I start a ROM, my input goes from the controller to the keyboard.
If EmulationStation allow work and retroarch not maybe is because the retroarch.cfg file is not properly configured. And this cfg is called by the ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg.
A question, that USB NES controller sounds great, this pad works like a keyboard or a joystick input?
LOBrien wrote: 2. I have an original NES controller along with a Retro-Bit NES to USB adapter. You said most controllers are plug and play, but when I plug in my NES to USB adapter and plug in my Pi, It does not seem to like this adapter, and doesn't boot. During boot it hangs at this:

Entering kdb (current=0xc6820c80, pid 1) due to Keyboard Entry
kdb>
Two choices:
-Sounds like that the the pi hangs on startup due to some power issue, try with a self-powered usb hub.
-Are connected at the pi the usb adapter and a usb keyboard at the same time? Try only booting with the gaming adapter and take the control via ssh with another terminal. That solved on the past many issues and the only connected device runs better.
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

LOBrien

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Aloshi: Thanks for that, I was looking for the config folder and finally found it. The only problem with configuring it to work with my controller is the Pi will not boot with the NES to USB controller plugged in, and if I allow it to boot then try plugging it in, it doesn't recognize that this device is plugged in. During boot I am continuing to get the error I stated earlier.

I don't know if it's the way I installed RetroPie, but the folder in this link: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... mulator%3F

It says "cd /home/pi/RetroPie/RetroArch-Rpi/tools" Where on mine it's located in: "/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools" I don't know if I installed mine in the wrong place, but mine is different from that link, possibly outdated?

If I cannot get the NES to USB adapter to work it's not the end of the world, I can always just get aftermarket NES USB controller. I am working on a project and trying to keep everything as original as possible. Is there any chance that there are drivers for the Retro-Bit adapter? I cannot get my Pi to recognize nor boot with this plugged in.

A new error I ran into today is I cannot get ES to start on boot properly. If I login as Pi and do a "emulationstation" it boots just fine, but when I configure ES to start on boot, it's looking in the root directory for the ES config. I get the error on startup: ".../es_systems.cfg was found but contained no systems." I tried copying all the files from the Pi to the Root directory and still get this error.

Over my HDMI I am getting no audio. If I plug a headset in the 3.5 I hear the sound faintly, but it's also choppy. Do you know of anyone else having this problem?

Jako: I am powering everything from a AC powered USB hub. I even tried powering the Pi separately from all the USB devices and still get that error.

Uplift

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:44 am

When i try to run emulationstation i'm getting the following error:

Assertion `1` failed at pulsecore/flist.c:168, function pa_flist_pop(). Aborting.
/usr/bin/emulationstation: line 9: 1457 Aborted      ./emulationstation
Any ideas?

john1980

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:01 pm

The following is my configuration (/etc/retroarch.cfg) to get retroarch and imame4all-libretro working fully with an IPAC2 controller (which emulates a standard keyboard).

There is no need to patch the imame4all-libretro code unless you wish to enable the additional functionality (such as TAB to access the config screen and the full 8 buttons for each player).

Others may find it a useful starting point:

## RetroArch config file for an IPAC-2 controller

system_directory = ~/retroarch/systems

#### Video

video_smooth = false

#### Audio

audio_out_rate = 44100
audio_driver = alsa

#### Input

input_driver = sdl

#
# MAME / ipac2 (http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac2.html)
#
# HINT: to get past "Type OK to continue" prompt,
#       just move joystick left then right.
#

input_player1_select = num5     # COIN 1 (or START 1 + 1 SW 1)
input_player1_start  = num1     # START 1
input_player1_a      = ctrl     # 1 SW 1
input_player1_b      = alt      # 1 SW 2
input_player1_y      = space    # 1 SW 3
input_player1_x      = shift    # 1 SW 4
input_player1_left   = left     # 1 LEFT
input_player1_right  = right    # 1 RIGHT
input_player1_up     = up       # 1 UP
input_player1_down   = down     # 1 DOWN
input_player1_l      = z        # 1 SW 5
input_player1_r      = x        # 1 SW 6
input_player1_l2     = c        # 1 SW 7
input_player1_r2     = v        # 1 SW 8
input_pause_toggle   = p        # 1 A (or START 1 + 1 DOWN)
input_player4_l      = enter    # 1 B (or START 1 + 1 LEFT)

input_player2_select = num6     # COIN 2
input_player2_start  = num2     # START 2
input_player2_a      = a        # 2 SW 1
input_player2_b      = s        # 2 SW 2
input_player2_y      = q        # 2 SW 3
input_player2_x      = w        # 2 SW 4
input_player2_left   = d        # 2 LEFT
input_player2_right  = g        # 2 RIGHT
input_player2_up     = r        # 2 UP
input_player2_down   = f        # 2 DOWN
input_player2_l      = i        # 2 SW 5
input_player2_r      = k        # 2 SW 6
input_player2_l2     = j        # 2 SW 7
input_player2_r2     = l        # 2 SW 8
input_player4_r      = tab      # 2 A (or START 1 + 1 RIGHT)
input_exit_emulator  = escape   # 2 B (or START 1 + START 2)

# Pressing and holding 1player start enables shift mode
# with access to the following keys:
#
#   2 player start    = Esc   - for jumping back to the menu
#   Joystick left     = Enter - for MAME game config menu
#   Joystick right    = Tab   - for entering MAME config menu
#   Joystick up       = ~     - for entering MAME volume/gamma menu
#   Joystick down     = P     - MAME pause key
#   1 fire (button 1) = 5     - for simulating coin insert.
#

# REMOVE ANY OTHER KEYBINDINGS
input_toggle_fullscreen = nul
input_save_state = nul
input_load_state = nul
input_state_slot_increase = nul
input_state_slot_decrease = nul
input_toggle_fast_forward = nul
input_hold_fast_forward = nul
input_shader_next = nul
input_shader_prev = nul
input_rewind = nul
input_movie_record_toggle = nul
input_frame_advance = nul
input_reset = nul
input_dsp_config = nul
input_cheat_index_plus = nul
input_cheat_index_minus = nul
input_cheat_toggle = nul
input_audio_mute = nul
input_screenshot = nul
input_netplay_flip_players = nul
input_slowmotion = nul

##############################################################################
# Technical stuff
##############################################################################
#
# Obtaining the input state from the RETRO_DEVICE_KEYBOARD was not working
# for me (I was hoping it would give me access to the raw-keyboard).  To
# get around this I'm using the input_playerX_l and r states to pass through
# keyboard mappings.
#
# So I've put mappings from some additional keys to JoyPad buttons within
# libretro.cfg, and patched the imame4all-libretro code to map those JoyPad
# buttons back to their original keys.
#
# *************************************************************************
# *** New update_input() for imame4all-libretro/src/libretro/libretro.c ***
# *************************************************************************
#
# static void update_input(void)
# {
# #define JS(port, button) input_state_cb(port, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_##button)
#          int i, c = 0;
#          input_poll_cb();
# 
#         for (i = 0; i < 2; i++)
#         {
#                 key[KEY_1 + i]   = JS(i, START);
#                 key[KEY_5 + i]   = JS(i, SELECT);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, LEFT);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, RIGHT);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, UP);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, DOWN);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, A);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, B);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, Y);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, X);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, L);
#                 joy_pressed[c++] = JS(i, R);
#         }
#         // Keyboard hacks for the ipac2/MAME controller
#         key[KEY_Z]     = JS(0, L);  // input_player1_l
#         key[KEY_X]     = JS(0, R);  // input_player1_r
#         key[KEY_C]     = JS(0, L2); // input_player1_l2
#         key[KEY_V]     = JS(0, R2); // input_player1_r2
#         key[KEY_I]     = JS(1, L);  // input_player2_l
#         key[KEY_K]     = JS(1, R);  // input_player2_r
#         key[KEY_J]     = JS(1, L2); // input_player2_l2
#         key[KEY_L]     = JS(1, R2); // input_player2_r2
#         key[KEY_ENTER] = JS(3, L);  // input_player4_l
#         key[KEY_TAB]   = JS(3, R);  // input_player4_r
# #undef JS
# }

etherbest

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 am

Hey everyone, I got three questions:

1 - Is it possible to remove the nag screens? There used to be an option in mame, if i recall correctly, that you wrote something like skip_warnings = yes and skip_gameinfo = yes to skip these, but this doesnt seem to work in retroarch.

2 - Does anyone receive these messages? Do you know what it means? They appear in the console after I quit a game. The amount depends on the game.
CPU #0 PC 00c11aee: warning - write ff000000 to unmapped memory address 00380064

3 - Is there anyway to show the fps? I'd like to see how good some roms perform.

Thanks!

Return to “Gaming”