petrockblog

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:11 am

ludespeedny wrote:Ok, I downloaded the image and none of the roms were working. I added some of my own and they ran fine. So there is a possible problem with the roms in the image.

I installed the xboxdrv, and I can not get my xbox controller working. It detects it, but when I run the retroarch-joyconfig it doesn't detect any button presses or anything. And have to hit ctrl-c to quit it.

I am using the instructions from here: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... controller

any suggestions?
I want to clarify at this point that no ROM or BIOS files are included in the image!

I have no Xbox controller and cannot give an advice for that. Maybe someone else?
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

teeth_03

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:50 am

If I get some time, I'll try to get the Xbox controllers working, I had them working before, but that was like 6 months ago. It was a pain in the ass if I remember correctly. Right now, I'm using 2 USB Retrolink SNES controllers.

I made a post in the other thread about the image, which one should we post problems/suggestions in?

About playing Genesis Roms, I have 2 sonic games that are .bin and I put them in the Mega Drive folder, but the Mega Drive screen doesn't come up when I go through my list of emulators. Are the Roms in the wrong format or am I using the wrong emulator? I haven't done much Sega emulation. I deleted all the hidden ROM files out of all the folders upon setting up the system.

ludespeedny

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:44 pm

So are the rom files listed from the image install dummy ones? They all have a ._ in front of them, but there were Atari, SNES, and Sega ones.

The sega ones have to have a different file extension other than .bin.

petrockblog

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:25 pm

teeth_03 wrote:If I get some time, I'll try to get the Xbox controllers working, I had them working before, but that was like 6 months ago. It was a pain in the ass if I remember correctly. Right now, I'm using 2 USB Retrolink SNES controllers.
If you find problems or errors in the description at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... controller I am sure that people would be glad, if you would correct them in the wiki.
I made a post in the other thread about the image, which one should we post problems/suggestions in?
I am following both threads. Personally, I would post more general things about the RetroPie setup in the "image thread, e.g., removable packages, themes, running services, settings in the /boot/config.txt etc.
Missing functions or problems related to the components that are installed by the RetroPie script would then go into this thread. But I am sure that everybody has his own opinion about this ;)
About playing Genesis Roms, I have 2 sonic games that are .bin and I put them in the Mega Drive folder, but the Mega Drive screen doesn't come up when I go through my list of emulators. Are the Roms in the wrong format or am I using the wrong emulator? I haven't done much Sega emulation. I deleted all the hidden ROM files out of all the folders upon setting up the system.
Ups, the hidden files are temporary files (possibly created by MacOS on my side. I will remove these in the next version of the image.
According to the recent version of RetroPie Setup, .bin files should be recognized by EmulationStation. You can check your configuration by looking into ~/.emulationstation/es_systems

I just tried .smd ROMs so far, which works fine.

petrockblog

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:27 pm

ludespeedny wrote:So are the rom files listed from the image install dummy ones? They all have a ._ in front of them, but there were Atari, SNES, and Sega ones.

The sega ones have to have a different file extension other than .bin.
Yes, I just realized that there are hidden files, which are temporary files (possibly created by MacOS on my side. I will remove these in the next version of the image.
According to the recent version of RetroPie Setup, .bin files should be recognized by EmulationStation. You can check your configuration by looking into ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.
From my own experience I can say that .smd ROMs work.

acott

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 am

I have 2 sonic games that are .bin and I put them in the Mega Drive folder, but the Mega Drive screen doesn't come up when I go through my list of emulators

I noticed this also, as mentioned .smd files work perfectly fine but all the roms I have come across for sonic are .bin

The main problem I find with the .smd files and the genesis is that I have no audio, anyone else having this issue?

Lemonoid

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi, i'm using the latest RetroPie Project Image but i would like to change some things.

1 - How can i reconfigure my USB controller? Some keys are off and it seems its been configured for another controller. Is there anyway to make EmulationStation reconfigure my controller keys?

2 - In every platform inside the EmulationStation there's pre-installed roms(?) like "._team; ._Basketbl" and i understand that they were put maybe as an example. Is there a way that i can remove them from each platform list?

Thank you!! And excellent work btw :)

Uplift

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm all setup now using RetroPie scripts and the RetroPie GPIO adapter to connect a SNES controller.. for the most part it works great but i do have a couple of questions:

- Can we do anything about the resolution? i've only tested SNES so far but the resolution seems slightly off, it seems to have a slightly bigger height than width, i'd like to be able to utilise more of the screen by stretching the image a little bit. I appreciate these consoles are not designed to run on 50" wide screen tvs.

- Can anything be done to improve the graphics at all, again, i appreciate the game will run as designed for it's console, but does the software allow things like smoothing instead of it being so blocky?

- Ideally i would like a completely keyboard-less setup, as far as i know the only thing missing is the ability to save games. can it be achieved by just using a SNES controller?

- What is the actual function of the switch on the GPIO adapter.. i thought it was to reset but few times i've pressed it it's done nothing, another time i pressed it a few times and it sent me back to ES, another time it shutdown the Pi... so it does appear to be working but i haven't quite figured out it's correct sequences yet...

- Is there anything we can do about per game issues, for example: super mario all -stars when i start SM3 it works until the map selection screen where i can move around the map, but it seems to freeze, i can't control it on the controller or keyboard and i'm forced to exit the game.. is this a rom issue or something else?

Sorry for all the questions.

petrockblog

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Lemonoid wrote:Hi, i'm using the latest RetroPie Project Image but i would like to change some things.

1 - How can i reconfigure my USB controller? Some keys are off and it seems its been configured for another controller. Is there anyway to make EmulationStation reconfigure my controller keys?
There is an entry about that issue in the wiki at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... rol-Issues. Does it help you?
2 - In every platform inside the EmulationStation there's pre-installed roms(?) like "._team; ._Basketbl" and i understand that they were put maybe as an example. Is there a way that i can remove them from each platform list?
You can remove them from command line via

Code: Select all

find ~/RetroPie/roms -name "._*" -delete

petrockblog

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Uplift wrote: - What is the actual function of the switch on the GPIO adapter.. i thought it was to reset but few times i've pressed it it's done nothing, another time i pressed it a few times and it sent me back to ES, another time it shutdown the Pi... so it does appear to be working but i haven't quite figured out it's correct sequences yet...
Sorry, if this was not made clear at https://github.com/petrockblog/SNESDev-RPi:
  • - press and hold: send "r" key (for rewind function of RetroArch)
    - press and release three times: send "ESC"
    - press and release five times: shutdown
Does this clear things up?
Sorry for all the questions.
I find that the forum is for exactly this kind of questions :)

I hope that your other questions can also be answered by someone.

marqs

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Uplift wrote:- Can we do anything about the resolution? i've only tested SNES so far but the resolution seems slightly off, it seems to have a slightly bigger height than width, i'd like to be able to utilise more of the screen by stretching the image a little bit. I appreciate these consoles are not designed to run on 50" wide screen tvs.
If you don't mind loosing the original aspect ratio, try setting video_aspect_ratio=1.78 (for 16:9 stretch) in retroarch.cfg. BTW, I wonder why the default is unset/1:1 instead of 1.33 corresponding to 4:3.
Uplift wrote:- Can anything be done to improve the graphics at all, again, i appreciate the game will run as designed for it's console, but does the software allow things like smoothing instead of it being so blocky?
Bilinear filtering is on by default, which leads to less blocky but blurry graphics. I don't know if there's SAI filtering available - I belong to those who like to maintain the original crisp pixel graphics ;) (by setting video_smooth=false)
Uplift wrote:- Ideally i would like a completely keyboard-less setup, as far as i know the only thing missing is the ability to save games. can it be achieved by just using a SNES controller?
The normal game saving should work out of the box. For quicksaves, I think it's possible to map some key combinations.

Uplift

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:22 pm

If you don't mind loosing the original aspect ratio, try setting video_aspect_ratio=1.78 (for 16:9 stretch) in retroarch.cfg. BTW, I wonder why the default is unset/1:1 instead of 1.33 corresponding to 4:3.

The normal game saving should work out of the box. For quicksaves, I think it's possible to map some key combinations.
thanks for that very helpful.
petrockblog wrote: - What is the actual function of the switch on the GPIO adapter.. i thought it was to reset but few times i've pressed it it's done nothing, another time i pressed it a few times and it sent me back to ES, another time it shutdown the Pi... so it does appear to be working but i haven't quite figured out it's correct sequences yet...

Sorry, if this was not made clear at https://github.com/petrockblog/SNESDev-RPi:
  • - press and hold: send "r" key (for rewind function of RetroArch)
    - press and release three times: send "ESC"
    - press and release five times: shutdown
Does this clear things up?
Totally missed that on the SNESDev page, thanks.

.. Another problem i'm having mentioned above i've added some PSX emulators but they are ISO files (.bin) .. they are not showing up in ES :(

CPOKashue

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:44 pm

I'd imagine the ration is 1:1 by default because most consoles released before widespread hdtv didn't use 4:3. This is because game consoles output digital video using arrays of square pixels, but TVs of the time displayed analog video rendered over hexagonal pixels that were wider than they were tall. So the NES output at 256x240, which is more or less 1:1 (technically 1.06:1) and the SNES output at 256:224 (1.15:1) or 512:478 (1.07:1) or some combination thereof (there were several combinations of output resolution open to the SNES, with most of them only used in menus, and mostly only in Japanese games).

This site has a pretty thorough explanation of how this impacted graphic design in classic games: http://www.pocketnes.org/res.html

What I need to do is get mame working and try out some of the weird Taito arcade games like Darius and Ninja Warriors that used super-wide aspect ratios. I bet those look pretty rad on a 16:9 TV, kind of like panavision super 16 movies.

marqs

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 pm

CPOKashue wrote:I'd imagine the ration is 1:1 by default because most consoles released before widespread hdtv didn't use 4:3. This is because game consoles output digital video using arrays of square pixels, but TVs of the time displayed analog video rendered over hexagonal pixels that were wider than they were tall. So the NES output at 256x240, which is more or less 1:1 (technically 1.06:1) and the SNES output at 256:224 (1.15:1) or 512:478 (1.07:1) or some combination thereof (there were several combinations of output resolution open to the SNES, with most of them only used in menus, and mostly only in Japanese games).

This site has a pretty thorough explanation of how this impacted graphic design in classic games: http://www.pocketnes.org/res.html
You're right, but 4:3 was always the resulting aspect whether the game was using 256x224 or 512x224 internally - that's why I assumed it to be as default. Anyway, it's easy to change that to one's liking.
CPOKashue wrote:What I need to do is get mame working and try out some of the weird Taito arcade games like Darius and Ninja Warriors that used super-wide aspect ratios. I bet those look pretty rad on a 16:9 TV, kind of like panavision super 16 movies.
That makes me wish Pi had several hdmi ports for a multi-monitor setup :D

Redhair

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

kalehrl wrote:Sega Mega Drive emulator, dgen, doesn't work when using composite out.
Replace your dgen with mine (backup existing) and see if it works.
You also need to remove .dgen folder in your home folder.
If not, install dipmanx backend:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=25146
and try to run it again.
https://mega.co.nz/#!No51GSIb!L-s0DgBKC ... QQbZUKHQJQ
Thank you. Somehow I couldn't get it working, neither with your file nor with dipmanx. Anyway... now playing dgen in an X session and that works.

uXe

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am

CPOKashue wrote:I'd imagine the ration is 1:1 by default because most consoles released before widespread hdtv didn't use 4:3. This is because game consoles output digital video using arrays of square pixels, but TVs of the time displayed analog video rendered over hexagonal pixels that were wider than they were tall. So the NES output at 256x240, which is more or less 1:1 (technically 1.06:1) and the SNES output at 256:224 (1.15:1) or 512:478 (1.07:1) or some combination thereof (there were several combinations of output resolution open to the SNES, with most of them only used in menus, and mostly only in Japanese games).
NTSC NES = 1.143:1
PAL NES = 1.3862:1

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Aspect_ratio

Uplift

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:27 pm

I managed to fix the issue with .bin roms/iso

open ES config

./emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

under each each emulator is an EXTENSIONS= line

just add .bin to the correct emulator

So far i've noticed it missing on sega megadrive and PSX.

playing resident evil now, so happy :)

Uplift

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 pm

i've noticed speed is not 100% on some PSCX games, it's not choppy, just a little slow so it's not the end of the world but would be great if i could get it almost full speed. is it possible?

Lemonoid

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:48 pm

(edited)
I'm sorry for all the trouble.

Ok, now i got a fresh new EmulationStation running, it autodetected my USB controller and it worked fine, but after rebooting, i can't change the games and platforms with the controllers, and only SEGA emulators work with the controller now.

Is there any file that i can erase so that it autodetects again like the first time?

Aloshi

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Lemonoid wrote:(edited)Is there any file that i can erase so that it autodetects again like the first time?
Yep, rm ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg.

Lemonoid

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Aloshi wrote:
Lemonoid wrote:(edited)Is there any file that i can erase so that it autodetects again like the first time?
Yep, rm ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg.
Thank You!

Still i have two problems:

1- Once inside a game, i cant go back to the roms menu using only my controller;

2- How do i configure my SNES and NES emulators? They still dont work...;

Thanks!

Aloshi

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:41 pm

EmulationStation is separate from all the emulators. There's a guide on configuring RetroArch, the program which most of the emulators are run "inside," here: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... mulator%3F

As for setting up an exit button, check the "My emulator won't close through my gamepad!" entry here: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... ionStation

Lemonoid

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Aloshi wrote:EmulationStation is separate from all the emulators. There's a guide on configuring RetroArch, the program which most of the emulators are run "inside," here: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... mulator%3F

As for setting up an exit button, check the "My emulator won't close through my gamepad!" entry here: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... ionStation
Still some problems :( sorry

-I got the "retroarch-joyconfig" running and configured my controller correctly, but still, when i start NES or SNES, it still doesnt work.

-The exit button solution is fantastic...but where is the alteration made? I know its the RetroArch config file but there's for each platform.

Thank You.

Lemonoid

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:35 pm

Lemonoid wrote:
Aloshi wrote:EmulationStation is separate from all the emulators. There's a guide on configuring RetroArch, the program which most of the emulators are run "inside," here: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... mulator%3F

Still some problems :( sorry

-I got the "retroarch-joyconfig" running and configured my controller correctly, but still, when i start NES or SNES, it still doesnt work.

-The exit button solution is fantastic...but where is the alteration made? I know its the RetroArch config file but there's for each platform.

Thank You.
Ok!

The first problem i got it solved, but still i haven't figured out the second one (about the alterations) :(

Aloshi

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:54 pm

I believe the file you'll want to change is "~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg".

Return to “Gaming”