ti84

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:54 pm

petrockblog

I just check your blog...are you going the include the whole distribution image?

petrockblog

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 pm

ti84 wrote:petrockblog

I just check your blog...are you going the include the whole distribution image?
Yes, when I am done with testing I plan to provide a whole image as download. I see this idea as an experiment that might give the RetroPie project another impulse.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Uplift

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm

What is the best sized SD card for the RetroPie setup? (Raspbian, RetroPie, lots of roms)

I have a 4GB SD lying around but think it would quickly fill up i'm not sure how much space raspian and retropie will use, not leaving much for roms?

Should i opt for 8gb or 16gb?

Will want to use PSX, NES, SNES, genesis etc..

petrockblog

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Uplift wrote:What is the best sized SD card for the RetroPie setup? (Raspbian, RetroPie, lots of roms)

I have a 4GB SD lying around but think it would quickly fill up i'm not sure how much space raspian and retropie will use, not leaving much for roms?

Should i opt for 8gb or 16gb?

Will want to use PSX, NES, SNES, genesis etc..
Raspbian and the RetroPie setup script with all its components takes more than two gigabytes. I would opt at least for 8gb, but would prefer 16gb. Especially PSX roms are usually a few hundred MBs large ...

MrMarco74

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 pm

I tried to find the solution for it, but after 60 minutes I gave up...

First, you did an extremely great work!

But... I can control the front end, using my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2, but as soon as I launch a game in the snes emulator, the controller is not more accepted. I've used a Competition Pro (USB) and it has the same behavior.

It seems, that the snes emulator is just ignoring the settings from the front end. What is exactly wrong and how can I fix this issue?

I suppose, that I have to add something to the retroarch.cfg file under RetroPie/configs/snes.
But what? I have no ******* clue :(

Btw... is there a FAQ somewhere on your homepage? I couldn't find some and if you don't have such a thing, I recommend setting up some. :)

Thank you for your kindness and help!

petrockblog

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:58 am

MrMarco74 wrote:I tried to find the solution for it, but after 60 minutes I gave up...

First, you did an extremely great work!

But... I can control the front end, using my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2, but as soon as I launch a game in the snes emulator, the controller is not more accepted. I've used a Competition Pro (USB) and it has the same behavior.

It seems, that the snes emulator is just ignoring the settings from the front end. What is exactly wrong and how can I fix this issue?

I suppose, that I have to add something to the retroarch.cfg file under RetroPie/configs/snes.
But what? I have no ******* clue :(

Btw... is there a FAQ somewhere on your homepage? I couldn't find some and if you don't have such a thing, I recommend setting up some. :)

Thank you for your kindness and help!
You need to use retroarch-joystick and put its output into ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

There is a wiki for the script at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki, but thanks! I will put a link to it on the blog as well.

jonez

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Had this installed on my first Pi, just got a 2nd one to use a dedicated console and I'm having a lot of trouble compiling it. Using a fresh install (today) of both Raspbian and the RetroPie script. I hate to hammer off a ton of questions but can anyone answer the following?

Is there a suggested order for new installs? Do update/upgrade/firmware update first, then try to compile cores, then RetroArch + EmulationStation? When I tried to compile today I selected all the firmware/APT etc, GBC, NES, SNES, RetroArch and EmulationStation in one go. Only SNES compiled all the rest failed.

Do I still need to use the missing file fix from here?

Previously when I tried to use the auto-start, it would fail because I installed it under the raspbian user and not root. I enabled auto-login using the steps from here, and when it booted it would login and then when it tried to start emulationstation it would error out saying failed to initialize SDL. After it dropped me to the prompt if I typed sudo emulationstation it would start. For auto-start to work do I need to install under the root user? I tried that today and it didn't seem to put the files in the same place as before. Previously when I logged in as raspbian and typed cd, I'd see both RetroPie and RetroPie-Setup in the same directory. Today when I installed, logged in as root and typed cd, I'd only see RetroPie-Setup and the RetroPie folder was under /home/root? I'm not sure if that's part of my problem? When I launched the RetroPie script I followed the steps from here, login then type cd, followed by the git commands etc.

Previously I had to use this command to get sound working:
echo 'snd-bcm2835' >> /etc/modules
Should I still do that or is it not necessary anymore?

The binary method doesn't seem to give me a choice as to what to install? If it installs everything is there a way to remove what I don't want? If I remember correctly from when I tried using that option before (when it was still on GitHub) it will only show emulators that have games, but it also showed Duke3D which I don't want in the menu.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!

Aloshi

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 pm

jonez wrote:Is there a suggested order for new installs?
I believe RetroPie will always do the actions in the same order as long as they're selected (with Space). So it doesn't matter what order you select things in.
jonez wrote:Do I still need to use the missing file fix from here?
A fix was pushed for this recently, it shouldn't be necessary any more I think (you might want to run "git pull" in the RetroPie-Setup directory to make sure you have the latest version of the script).
jonez wrote:Previously when I tried to use the auto-start, it would fail because I installed it under the raspbian user and not root. I enabled auto-login using the steps from here, and when it booted it would login and then when it tried to start emulationstation it would error out saying failed to initialize SDL. After it dropped me to the prompt if I typed sudo emulationstation it would start. For auto-start to work do I need to install under the root user? I tried that today and it didn't seem to put the files in the same place as before. Previously when I logged in as raspbian and typed cd, I'd see both RetroPie and RetroPie-Setup in the same directory. Today when I installed, logged in as root and typed cd, I'd only see RetroPie-Setup and the RetroPie folder was under /home/root? I'm not sure if that's part of my problem? When I launched the RetroPie script I followed the steps from here, login then type cd, followed by the git commands etc.
I have no idea how the autostart stuff works, so I can't really help you here, sorry. :(

jonez wrote:Previously I had to use this command to get sound working:
echo 'snd-bcm2835' >> /etc/modules
Should I still do that or is it not necessary anymore?
Shouldn't need to do this anymore.
jonez wrote:The binary method doesn't seem to give me a choice as to what to install? If it installs everything is there a way to remove what I don't want? If I remember correctly from when I tried using that option before (when it was still on GitHub) it will only show emulators that have games, but it also showed Duke3D which I don't want in the menu.
Simplest way to remove it is to remove the Duke3D entry in ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg (should be 4 or 5 lines, just remove them).

jonez

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:59 am

Thanks for the help Aloshi! Got it working from the binary install, had to install to /home/root all the paths in the config files it outputs point to /home/user. I didn't need to use the file path fix but I did have to add the sound module for emulationstation to start. Root seems to have two folders? If I copy es_systems.cfg from /home/root/.emu to /root/.emu then the auto login/start works too.

I don't know how to use Git but while I was editing es_systems.cfg to comment out some of the systems two of the paths for GameBoy point to /home/pi/ not /home/user/. It's on line 1129 in retropie_setup.sh.

Now to play some games :D

petrockblog

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Hello everyone,
I would like to announce that the first RetroPie Project SD-card image is now available for download. It is a complete installation that is working well with my setup.

You can find the blog post about it and the download at http://blog.petrockblock.com/2013/02/10 ... -download/.

Everyone is invited to contribute to this image with suggestions, comments, themes, bug reports etc. etc. to further enhance this!

ti84

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:55 pm

How large is the full "image"? Is it over 2.0 GB?

petrockblog

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 am

ti84 wrote:How large is the full "image"? Is it over 2.0 GB?
The full image is around 2.6 GB large. To be on the safe side I would recommend an SD card with at least 8 GB, but a 4 GB card would also do as long as you do not want to put PSX or large NeoGeo ROMs on the card.

kevkaos

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 am

cheers for the .img

maybe start a new tread for your img so more folks here about it?

petrockblog

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 am

kevkaos wrote:cheers for the .img

maybe start a new tread for your img so more folks here about it?
Good idea - I have just posted this as a new thread.

ti84

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:08 pm

If it is only 2.6GB...how come when I try to download it...it goes over 3.5GB and then is interruped and stops? What am I doing wrong?

petrockblog

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

ti84 wrote:If it is only 2.6GB...how come when I try to download it...it goes over 3.5GB and then is interruped and stops? What am I doing wrong?
Do you mean this happens when you copy the image to your SD card?

ti84

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:35 pm

no...this is when I try to download it to my computer...windows...after I download it to my computer, I am going to transfer it to the sd card

petrockblog

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:11 pm

ti84 wrote:no...this is when I try to download it to my computer...windows...after I download it to my computer, I am going to transfer it to the sd card
Actually, the downloadable file is a compressed image and has only a size of 1.6 GB. I just tested the download myself (again) and I cannot reproduce this.
Does anybody else have an idea?
EDIT: As Barrie Reader points out at http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie-d ... -796583337, not every 4 GB SD card may be suitable for the image. I think, I have to shrink the main partition a little bit to be compatible to more SD card, I think.

stefanotis

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am

If it is only 2.6GB...how come when I try to download it...it goes over 3.5GB and then is interruped and stops? What am I doing wrong?
The interruption after 3,6GB might be filesystem related. Are you using Fat32? Fat32 does not allow files larger that 4GB, if I am not mistaken.
Actually, the downloadable file is a compressed image and has only a size of 1.6 GB. I just tested the download myself (again) and I cannot reproduce this.
Does anybody else have an idea?
Could the entire problem, therefore, be filesystem related, too?!

ti84

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:59 pm

petrockblog

Got it...I changed from microsoft explorer to mozilla browser. Works great..

adwhitenc

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:47 pm

I haven't taken a detailed look into the image, but are the following platforms currently installed?
GBA
GB/GBC
NES
SNES
I believe I saw SNES and NES but not sure about the gameboys. If they are not installed, is there a way to get them working?

petrockblog

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:56 pm

adwhitenc wrote:I haven't taken a detailed look into the image, but are the following platforms currently installed?
GBA
GB/GBC
NES
SNES
I believe I saw SNES and NES but not sure about the gameboys. If they are not installed, is there a way to get them working?
These cores are all installed.
It is reported, however, that the performance of the GBA core is not that great.

Redhair

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

I've installed emulationstation and copied a rom into the megadrive folder. If I start the game the emulation seems to work as I can hear the sound but the screen stays black. Could someone give me a hint? I'm using composite TV-out (PAL).

kalehrl

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Sega Mega Drive emulator, dgen, doesn't work when using composite out.
Replace your dgen with mine (backup existing) and see if it works.
You also need to remove .dgen folder in your home folder.
If not, install dipmanx backend:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=25146
and try to run it again.
https://mega.co.nz/#!No51GSIb!L-s0DgBKC ... QQbZUKHQJQ

ludespeedny

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:31 am

Ok, I downloaded the image and none of the roms were working. I added some of my own and they ran fine. So there is a possible problem with the roms in the image.

I installed the xboxdrv, and I can not get my xbox controller working. It detects it, but when I run the retroarch-joyconfig it doesn't detect any button presses or anything. And have to hit ctrl-c to quit it.

I am using the instructions from here: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... controller

any suggestions?

Return to “Gaming”