jeb92

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:34 am

jeb92 wrote:
Hi

I tried downloading the neo geo emulator (gngeo-0.7) through the retropie_setup.sh via the custom installation. for some reason though it always came up with an installation error. I then decided to just manually download, unzip, and configure it using the instructions from GNGEO - A "Beginners Guide" to Compiling and Using in the same place as RetroPie would have done. The end result is that i can now get my neo geo games to launch by using emulation station. Hope this helps anyone that was running into the same problems

I also think that the above guide is clearly written and helpful!

I did a source-based/custom installation with a fresh Raspbian image and did not get a problem with compiling GnGeo. Maybe you can specify the problem a bit more detailed so that I could try and have a look at the script for possible enhancements?
to be honest im not sure why it didnt work. i checked in $HOME/RetroPie/debug.log and it didnt really say anything relevant. i followed the steps in the above link exactly so im not sure how it was much different then your retropie_setup.

jeb92

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:49 am

i just tried starting from scratch with a fresh image and doing a binary install.

i was trying to get the psx emulator working but i couldnt get it to run my .7z roms because it says that it is an unsupported image, but on the first installation page it says .7z is supported.

also i cant seem to get my mame roms to run. i have tried dozens of roms from this listand the only one that i have gotten to work is tetris.

thanks for all the help i have received so far and any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

CPOKashue

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Jeb, you may need to enable .7z as a rom format in the emulationstation config so they show up in the browser. Your rom browser depends on that config and doesn't actually use the supported rom lists for the individual emulators.

jahberger

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:11 pm

So, I have used this script following the guide at petrockblog. It seems to have installed everything as far as I can tell. I am a total noob here so I don't know what information is relevant. Anyway, when I attempt to run emulationstation from the console on the pi I get a black screen. If I am ssh into the pi i get

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ emulationstation
Error initializing SDL!
Unable to open a console terminal
Are you in the 'video', 'audio', and 'input' groups? Is X closed? Is your firmware up to date? Are you using at least the 192/64 memory split?
Error initializing renderer!
if instead I startx and enter the gui and execute the program from there I get a screen that is half white half grey with a cutoff DOOM logo at the top and an orange banner near the top saying "prboom" in the middle. It seems to be frozen at this point.

I would really like to get the gaming started and my lack of knowledge is really killing me here.
By the way I have an RPi model B. Ill include my config.txt and cmdline.txt because I have modified those mostly to try utilize the full 512mb ram.

cmdline.txt

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait     coherent_pool=2M cma=2M smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N
config.txt

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
disable_overscan=0

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
overscan_left=25
overscan_right=25
overscan_top=10
overscan_bottom=10

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
sdtv_mode=0

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
arm_freq=800

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
gpu_mem_256=160
gpu_mem_512=316
cma_lwm=16
cma_hwm=32
If anyone knows why I am experiencing this issue or can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Aloshi

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:00 am

Hmm, try running ES as root ("sudo emulationstation"). For some reason it looks like the SDL part of the renderer is failing to initialize.

jahberger

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:12 am

hey, thanks a lot I will try that, should have thought of that already. Hopefully it works.

jahberger

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:04 am

Unfortunately that did not seem to work.
I get this error

[email protected] ~ $ sudo emulationstation
/usr/bin/emulationstation: line 9: 3459 Segmentation fault ./emulationstation

Aloshi

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:44 am

Odd, that's a particularly bad crash before ES can even finish initializing. Have you tried reinstalling/rebuilding? You can have RetroPie build ES from the source by choosing the second option (source-based installation) and then only selecting the "install EmulationStation" option (use space to select/deselect, Enter to accept). It'll leave the rest of RetroPie (the emulators, etc.) installed.

alister667

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Jahberger,
I had exactly the same issues as you are seeing. I'm still unsure what exactly caused it (it looks like there might be something funny with the binaries), but when I did a full compile from the retro pie setup script (instead of using the binaries) and it is now behaving pretty much as I would have expected.

It took 5 hours (unclocked 512Mb, Model B) and the GBA emu didn't compile, but otherwise everything in Emulation Station seems to work. I haven't yet tested many games since I haven't got a controller set up (doesn't appear to work with keyboard as default), but I'm hoping I can get it going today.

Good luck!

komlev

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi, guys. I was experiencing some issues with RetroPie installation on 512 mb model. I was trying build from binaries and source but nothing helped, errors were different. Mostly there were no configuration files and folder. But i figured out how i got myself into this troubles. I was cloning git repository into separate folder i created and i think that was the case. As soon as i clone RetroPieSetup in HOME directory everything is allright. Hope that helps.

P.S.
How can i play sega genesis games cause i tryed playing Contra Hard Corps and it was awful. There was scrumbled mess in the background. Is it normal or i did something wrong?

Andrew85

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:16 am

I have a quick question for adjusting the video for Retro Arch. Right now emulation station takes up the whole screen, but once a ROM is loaded, I get two vertical black bars on each side while playing the game. Anyway to adjust this to more of a widescreen look.

**Edit** Also should include this is for the NES emulator. My main focus is to run it as a Nintendo.

Onion farmer

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi,
I used the retropie setup script (the custom binaries option) & after some head scratching & a lot of googling have managed to get a couple of Xbox controllers (via xboxdrv) up & running with mame, megadrive, neo geo, snes & ZX speccy emulators. Yay! Psx, however, has me stumped! No disc images will load, & the command line always reports that no bios files can be found.
Can anyone tell me where I need to place the bios file(s?)? The likeliest place seems to be ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation...there's a bios folder that's been created there & a .pcsx folder that's also looks a good spot based on the standalone pcsx install structure. I also can't find anything that would stand in for a pcsx config file (to point to bios & other settings).
Can anyone help or observed similar behaviour?

jeb92

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:59 am

Hi,
I used the retropie setup script (the custom binaries option) & after some head scratching & a lot of googling have managed to get a couple of Xbox controllers (via xboxdrv) up & running with mame, megadrive, neo geo, snes & ZX speccy emulators. Yay! Psx, however, has me stumped! No disc images will load, & the command line always reports that no bios files can be found.
luckly i literally just got my psx stuff to work minutes ago. its a little slow and the sound a little choppy but the roms load

i learned that .7z does not work! im not sure why it shows up in emulationstation but if you go to the the source for pcsx_rearmed it does not mention .7z anywhere. you need to unzip everything from the .7z or compressed file into the roms section. there should be a .img, .bin/.cue, etc. make sure everything has the same name.if the .img or .bin is in a ECM format you need to do a little more work.

you can follow these steps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFLyH6lumAc

you will also need to edit emulationstation so that it shows the rest of your roms
do

sudo nano .emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
in the playstation section just add .bin and .BIN those are the only ones i have done so far but you may need more.
Can anyone tell me where I need to place the bios file(s?)? The likeliest place seems to be ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation...there's a bios folder that's been created there & a .pcsx folder that's also looks a good spot based on the standalone pcsx install structure. I also can't find anything that would stand in for a pcsx config file (to point to bios & other settings).
Can anyone help or observed similar behaviour?
as for that i still have problems getting it to say that i loaded the proper bios file but from what i have read other people have the same issue even though it works. right now i have a bios file for the emulator in pretty much every place i can think of although i think it looks for the bios in

.pcsx/bios
hope this helped!

Onion farmer

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for that, I was beginning to wonder about the .7z format! I too had checked out the pcsx source info, but it also seems that a lot of the .7zs that I had were composed of multiple .bin files along with a .cue file & I could not get them to work in any form. Where the game info is a single .bin file it will load successfully. I have replaced the problematic multi-.bin files with single .bins from an alternate source & all is going well so far! The games can run a little slow, but at the moment I'm putting that down to the lack of a 'proper' bios. All the games tried so far have worked reasonably well with the pcsx HLE bios, though. I'll reply if I get that one sorted!
Thanks for your help!

Kazp123

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:52 am

can I play 2 player with just a keyboard no controllers thanks :D

CPOKashue

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Kazp123 wrote:can I play 2 player with just a keyboard no controllers thanks :D
Sure. You just need to copy your player 1 control profile, reconfigure all the command naming for player 2, then assign keys to everything. Note that you will need two things:
-you will have to reassign a lot of Retroarch action keys (take screenshot, throttle speed, advance frame, etc) so they don't conflict with 2 sets of input on one keyboard
-you will need a keyboard with a sufficiently high test volume for 2 sets of input

KC3

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to get 2 dualshock based controllers to work with ES/RetroArch but am having a little trouble. At the moment I'm just trying to get ONE controller to work properly before adding the 2nd. Basically I have the /etc/retroarch.cfg set up with my inputs and I've read that I need to add -c ./retroarch.cfg as a lunch command to RetroArch but not sure where to do this. I added it to the beginning of my es_system.cfg as

COMMAND=retroarch -c ./retroarch.cfg
The controller is working with ES and this actually got it working with dGen emulator but caused my NES and SNES emulators to fail and return to the ES screen. Is there a better place to add this launch command?

Also I added exit_emulator_input_btn = "11" to my retroarch.cfg so that using "R3" I could exit back to ES but this isn't working either. Probably just because my config file is being loaded properly. :D
Appreciate the help!

Aloshi

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:56 am

The -c parameter is used to specify a path to the config file to load. I believe /etc/retroarch.cfg is loaded automatically by default. If that's not working, you could try forcing it with "-c /etc/retroarch.cfg". The ES config file is indeed where you'd put these changes. You probably want to avoid using "./" (relative path) in an argument as it'll change depending on where you start ES from.

tiroler

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:24 pm

I have installed RetroPie via the automatic install script using preexisting files. However, when I launch NES or SNES emulator games (I have not tried other consoles), thez are incredibly slow.
The image is new, i only installed Synaptic and bsnes before. Anyone can help?

greetings from Austria

CPOKashue

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:52 pm

I think the retroarch.cfg you want is home/ROOT USER/.retroatrch.cfg, at least by default. So if you are lazy like me you want home/pi/.retroarch.cfg :). By default it is hidden.

I don't know what etc/retroarch.cfg is for but I THINK it's meant to be an output destination for retroarch's various config tools so you can do a direct write then copy that output into the real file. I am basing this on the fact that having retroarch.joyconfig write will overwrite the target file and "append" syntax doesn't seem to work in Rasbian. It might also serve some purpose in more fully fledged flavors of Linux where you can do more from X and where you have access to the Phoenix frontend.

petrockblog

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm

tiroler wrote:I have installed RetroPie via the automatic install script using preexisting files. However, when I launch NES or SNES emulator games (I have not tried other consoles), thez are incredibly slow.
The image is new, i only installed Synaptic and bsnes before. Anyone can help?

greetings from Austria
You could try and disable the enable_rewind (or rewind_enable) parameter by setting it to false in /etc/retroarch.cfg.
It is enabled per default by the RetroPie script, but I am planning to disable this for the more demanding emulator cores ...
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

frediokl

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm having problems with my controller in megadrive games. The exit game button does not work. It works in other emulators. Do I need to setup the controller differently for the Megadrive/Genesis emulator?

jonez

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Has anyone tried using this installer on XBian? I'm assuming you'd need to compile the source vs. using binaries?

I'm getting a Pi for Christmas so I've been collecting info on the setup I want to build, headless XBMC + Retro emulators and a lot of people have recommended XBian over Raspbian for speed. I've setup a headless CentOS box I use as a personal web server before so I'm familiar with Linux basics but since I'm just getting my feet wet with the Pi I wasn't sure how compatible the two OS's were.

Thanks!

D1Tremere

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:40 am

Having some problems and could really use some help, brand new to both Linux and the Pi.
I'm using the most recent suggested Pi OS Raspbian “wheezy”, and have installed this script to a brand new SD card using the quick binaries installation.
The emulators (specifically NES) run and load roms, but I'm having a problem with my logitech joystick.

first thing to note, for some reason I have a retroarch.cfg in both Etc. and home/pi/retropie/emulators/retroarch and changes to neither seem to effect the logitech joystick in NES. It's loaded in script but the only thing on the Joystick that functions seems to be the bottom right shoulder (8) button.
Keyboard functions just fine but not the Joystick.

Can anyone tell me in noob friendly terms why I have 2 .cfg files and why neither seem to work, or just how to get my joypad working would suffice.

Thanks in advance.

Luminal

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

So I've installed retroPie using the script on the latest Wheezy image.
I haven't got a keyboard connected so I'm connecting using SSH.
Everything thing seems to be in order however when I type sudo EmulationStation I'm confronted by

Creating surface...1920x1080...success!
Loading system config file "/root/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg"...
Finished loading config file - created 0 systems.
A system config file in /root/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg was found, but contained no systems.
Does at least one system have a game presesnt?

I've placed a couple of test roms in folders but I don't seem to be able to get any further.
Any help gratefully received.

Return to “Gaming”