Aloshi

Re: EmulationStation - an emulator front-end

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:03 pm

chrismatt wrote:Hello

Please i need some help.I am trying to make Es work with advance mame.I have already compiled advmame and it is working.As far i managed to import roms to Es but when i select a game nothing happens.I am newbie to all this so I dont know how i have to write the Command in the configuration file in Es.

Thank you
I've just added a %BASENAME% tag to the ES launch command setting. After updating, you should be able to use a launch command like "advmame %BASENAME%" to launch AdvanceMAME now. I've never used MAME though, so I'm not sure of the exact command.

chrismatt

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Aloshi wrote:

I've just added a %BASENAME% tag to the ES launch command setting. After updating, you should be able to use a launch command like "advmame %BASENAME%" to launch AdvanceMAME now. I've never used MAME though, so I'm not sure of the exact command.
Thank you very much Aloshi.It worked perfectly.Another thing that i would like to ask you is how i can remove the exit from the menu (i want to have only the shutdown and restart).

Thank you

abishur

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm

chrismatt wrote:
Aloshi wrote:

Thank you very much Aloshi.It worked perfectly.Another thing that i would like to ask you is how i can remove the exit from the menu (i want to have only the shutdown and restart).

Thank you
hit F4 I believe :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Aloshi

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:23 pm

chrismatt wrote:Another thing that i would like to ask you is how i can remove the exit from the menu (i want to have only the shutdown and restart).
Done. Added a --no-exit command-line switch in my last commit. :)

abishur

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Aloshi wrote:
chrismatt wrote:Another thing that i would like to ask you is how i can remove the exit from the menu (i want to have only the shutdown and restart).
Done. Added a --no-exit command-line switch in my last commit. :)
HA! I completely misread the question to be "how can I exit from the menu?" Sorry about that :lol:
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

chrismatt

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Aloshi wrote: Done. Added a --no-exit command-line switch in my last commit. :)
Thank you for the quick reply.I saw your changes in the menu.cpp after the update (i run git pull then make) but exit is still in the menu.

Thank you

Aloshi

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:52 pm

chrismatt wrote:
Aloshi wrote: Done. Added a --no-exit command-line switch in my last commit. :)
Thank you for the quick reply.I saw your changes in the menu.cpp after the update (i run git pull then make) but exit is still in the menu.

Thank you
Are you launching with "emulationstation --no-exit"?

chrismatt

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Aloshi wrote: Are you launching with "emulationstation --no-exit"?
Yes i just did but still nothing.

Aloshi

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Hmm, did you install via the RetroPie script? If you did, the version in your system path variable is still being used. You should be able to copy it with something like "sudo cp ./emulationstation /usr/bin/" from the directory with ES built in it.

chrismatt

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 am

Aloshi wrote:Hmm, did you install via the RetroPie script? If you did, the version in your system path variable is still being used. You should be able to copy it with something like "sudo cp ./emulationstation /usr/bin/" from the directory with ES built in it.
Aloshi thank you for all the info , i made a new installation with retropie script but still nothing.

Aloshi

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 pm

chrismatt wrote:Aloshi thank you for all the info , i made a new installation with retropie script but still nothing.
And you did the sources-based installation, correct?

chrismatt

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 pm

I used the retropie script.So I think yes.Anyway I will not assign the menu button in my joystick.

Thank you

steev

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi I compiled this on a fully updated Raspbian and when I try to run it I get:
Segmentation Fault

Here is the strace output if it helps:
http://pastebin.com/ARvYg15U

Any ideas?

Aloshi

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 am

Just pushed an update that should hopefully fix this, run git pull and make once again to update. Thanks for the report!

steev

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:14 am

Yep, that fixed it. Thank you!

Rusakko

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Stupid question.
What is the correct way to upgrade retropie?
With setup or with git, and if with git what is the command?

Aloshi

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 pm

If you want to get the most up-to-date version of all the RetroPie components, running "git pull" from the RetroPie-Setup directory (to update the script itself) and then just re-running RetroPie-Setup is the recommended method, I believe. You can select only the components you want updated with the space bar (if you want to save time).

Rusakko

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi great work work the emulationstation and thanks for easy and fast feedback on my stupid questions

I would like to share my idea that I made in my emulationstation box. I installed XBMC next to ES and some other programs. At the same time I'm building box with only pad and remote, no keyboard. So I needed a way to launch example XBMC.

Solution that I came up with: add extra "platform" to es_systems.cfg called apps and .sh files as roms for that platform. Then I created apps folder next to other platforms in roms folder. And in that folder I created sh files for every application. Then I copied theme.xml and gamelist.xml to that folder and modified it so that emulationstation shows all my sh files in menu. Now I can start example XBMC from menu and I don't need to go to console. I also added images for applications like XBMC and X.

Other applications I added are startx, sounds to hdmi, sounds to 3,5mm jack, shairport on, shairport off and update cover art. Now all these are accessible from menu. X of course needs mouse and keyboard and update cover art needs keyboard, but never the less, I think it's a nice feature.

I also used ES-scraper in manual mode for only new roms in my application shortcut.

Code: Select all

python ~/RetroPie/supplementary/ES-scraper/scraper.py -m -p -w 275
In RetroPie-Setup script I didn't find that kind of option, manual mode checked every game every time and update new mode didn't let me to choose correct game.

What do you think? Of course this solution might be obvious or useless to everybody else but I think this menu is useful.

HonkeyKong

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:29 am

I just managed to get TurboCD/PC-Engine CD games working in EmulationStation/RetroArch. First things first, these lines need to be added to es_systems.cfg:

NAME=PC Engine-CD/Turbo-CD
PATH=/home/pi/path/to/games # Replace this with your game path
EXTENSION=.cue .CUE .iso .ISO
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/mednafen-pce-libretro/libretro.so --config /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/pcengine/retroarch.cfg %ROM%
PLATFORMID=34
Then, the syscard3.pce file (TurboCD BIOS) needs to be placed in the same directory as your .bin/.cue files. Once you have done this, you should be able to play your TurboCD games, albeit slowly. I haven't tested ISO files, but BIN/CUE files work fine. Hopefully some overclocking will fix the speed issues.

HonkeyKong

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:22 pm

After some tweaking, I've managed to get TurboCD/PC-Engine CD games working almost full-speed. Mind you, this is running overclocked at 900MHz, and the sound isn't 100% yet, but it's much better than before. To get things running, here's what you need to do:

mkdir ~/RetroPie/configs/turbocd
echo 'audio_out_rate=11025' >> ~/RetroPie/configs/turbocd/retroarch.cfg
Then, add these lines to your ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg file:

NAME=PC Engine-CD/Turbo-CD
PATH=/path/to/games
EXTENSION=.cue .CUE .iso .ISO
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/mednafen-pce-libretro/libretro.so --config /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/turbocd/retroarch.cfg %ROM%
PLATFORMID=34
Place the syscard3.pce file in the same directory as your TurboCD files (ISO is untested, BIN/CUE works fine), and restart EmulationStation. Now you should have a new section with your TurboCD games. Enjoy!

bradw1991

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:17 am

I have a question. Is there a way to make the text in the desc tag in Emulation Station smaller. Thanks.

Aloshi

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:21 pm

You should be able to just define a different font size in your themes, as mentioned here: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStat ... S.md#fonts

Basically, something like

<descriptionFont>
   <size>0.05</size>
</descriptionFont>
(adjust size as necessary)

brooksyx

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Does anyone know how to hide/disable the input configuration screen in emulation station. I got my controls all setup and working so I don't need this screen anymore.

Aloshi

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:35 pm

If you're talking about the "fake system" RetroPie adds, you can just remove the relevant entry in the ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg file.

brooksyx

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Aloshi wrote:If you're talking about the "fake system" RetroPie adds, you can just remove the relevant entry in the ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg file.
Yes, I believe so. I get to it if I press left or right when in emulationstation. I am trying to make it so the SNES rom list is the only screen seen. I will give that a try tonight.

While I have your attention how would I go about stretching the default snes emu (pocketsnes) to stretch to the full 16x9 aspect ration? Or should I switch to a different one in es_systems.cfg?

Thanks

Return to “Gaming”