Aloshi

Re: EmulationStation - an emulator front-end

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 pm

No idea about individual emulators, sorry. You might get a better response on the RetroPie forum.

brooksyx

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Aloshi wrote:No idea about individual emulators, sorry. You might get a better response on the RetroPie forum.
Is there a way to make all emulators scale to the full size of the screen? I dont care if it is done at global level or emulator level.

Aloshi

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 pm

If you mean emulators are all scaled down, it's because RetroPie sets the resolution to something closer to the original system so that scaling will be done in hardware instead of software. If it's displaying in a "tiny window" or similar you can either check your TV's scaling settings or disable the resolution changing script (edit ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg and change "runcommand 1 ..." to "runcommand 2 ..." which makes the script do nothing).

If that doesn't work (probably the TV-scaling bit is your best bet), it's probably something specific to the individual emulator which I have no idea about.

brooksyx

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:34 pm

I am talking about the emulator being show in 4:3 with black bars on the side. I want it to take up the whole screen.

Thanks for this tips. I will play around with it.

brooksyx

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:28 pm

I feel like this should be pretty obvious but how to do I change the theme and scrape for rom iformation?

Searching hasn't brought much luck.

welshy

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 pm

brooksyx wrote:Is there a way to make all emulators scale to the full size of the screen? I dont care if it is done at global level or emulator level.
I don't use RetroPie, but in RetroArch (on which it is based) pressing F1 produces a Menu, enter 'Video Settings' and set Aspect Ratio to whatever you wish (16:9, 16:10, 4:3 etc.). Enter 'Settings' and set 'Config Save on Exit' to ON then exit.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

brooksyx

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Any tips for when scrapping images and details for a large romset? I have the entire SNES NTSC game library on my retro pie and navigation the rom selection screen is very slow and laggy.

Is there a way to avoid this? Maybe re-size all of the images to a smaller size?

Aloshi

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Second time I've heard of that issue, you can see my response here on Reddit. It's probably unrelated to the images. No real fix yet, sorry.

brooksyx

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Aloshi

Hmm, I will try re-scrapping tonight just for heck of it with:

Code: Select all

python /home/pi/ES-scrapper -w 400
My game library is only about 1 GB not 500 GB like the guy on reddit. Will post back with my results. But there is almost 800 roms in that directory.

Edit: I noticed you mentioned to split the roms up into folders on reddit. So if I break down my rom directory into A, B, C, etc will it show as

A
B
C
etc

on the main menu screen?

Aloshi

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Yep, that's the idea. I don't know if it will actually solve the problem though.

brooksyx

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Ok, even if I don't scrape the images it is still nice to know. Hard to navigate a 700+ rom directory on one screen haha.

brooksyx

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Aloshi wrote:Yep, that's the idea. I don't know if it will actually solve the problem though.
Rescraping with smaller images solved the problem. Menu is working smooth now. :D

zadowsmash

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 am

Hi All,

For starters I would like to say thanks to the developer of emulation station. Its a fantastic piece of software.
I have it setup working really well with 2 x PS2 controllers with all emulators.

I do have a strange problem upon cold boot with my controllers though.

I have since figured out that if I shut down the pi via the emulation station "shutdown" menu option and power it off, once I boot it up, my controller configuration does not work properly.

Symptoms are that Player 1 control pad works within emulationstation to select games etc but once I go into a game within any emulator the Player 1 controller does not work. Player 2 control pad is detected as player 1 and it works ok.

To mitigate the issue I have found that if I exit emulationstation and shut down the pi with "sudo init 0", unplug it and plug it back in everything works as expected.

So for now I have been shutting it down with this method and all works well.
My wife is not a Linux admin like myself and deems this process as rather daunting.

Therefore my question is does anyone know why this might be happening?
If not, could someone possibly point me to where the configuration file is for the emulation station menu so that I could change the shutdown command it uses to "sudo init 0" instead of "shutdown" (which I assume that is what is it).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

teeth_03

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:49 am

Would it be possible to have ES use both a keyboard and a controller for menu navigation?

The UltraSlim package works well, but it has a flaw: If I want to use XBMC, I have to grab my controller to launch it, but I use my TV Remote to control that. CEC support would be awesome, but if I could use my wireless keyboard at least, it would work for me.

Aloshi

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:36 pm

zadowsmash wrote: Therefore my question is does anyone know why this might be happening?
If not, could someone possibly point me to where the configuration file is for the emulation station menu so that I could change the shutdown command it uses to "sudo init 0" instead of "shutdown" (which I assume that is what is it).
I think this might have to do with the order that the joysticks are getting detected (and added as devices in Linux). Maybe for some reason a rebooting is causing a different order.

To change the shutdown command, edit the file src/components/GuiMenu.cpp, line 82, then recompile (run "make" in the root of the emulationstation folder).
teeth_03 wrote:Would it be possible to have ES use both a keyboard and a controller for menu navigation?

The UltraSlim package works well, but it has a flaw: If I want to use XBMC, I have to grab my controller to launch it, but I use my TV Remote to control that. CEC support would be awesome, but if I could use my wireless keyboard at least, it would work for me.
Yes. Delete ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg, and during the configuration process, press a button on your keyboard and your joystick to configure both.

zadowsmash

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 am

Aloshi wrote:I think this might have to do with the order that the joysticks are getting detected (and added as devices in Linux). Maybe for some reason a rebooting is causing a different order.

To change the shutdown command, edit the file src/components/GuiMenu.cpp, line 82, then recompile (run "make" in the root of the emulationstation folder).
Hi Aloshi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look and was unable to find the file you mentioned to change the shutdown command.

[email protected] ~/.emulationstation $ sudo find / -name GuiMenu.cpp -type f
[email protected] ~/.emulationstation $
I should have mentioned I am running "retropie" which uses EmulationStation as the front end and has already been compiled.

Not sure if this is the right place to be asking my question now that you have pointed it out. If so please let me know and I will try my luck on the retropie forums.

Thanks again and great work on EmulationStation.

Aloshi

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Try the path ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation/src/components/GuiMenu.cpp. After you edit it, run "make" in ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation and you should be good to go (don't need to install to /usr/bin or anything, RetroPie uses a bash script that runs ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation/emulationstation).

zadowsmash

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:42 am

Aloshi wrote:Try the path ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation/src/components/GuiMenu.cpp. After you edit it, run "make" in ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation and you should be good to go (don't need to install to /usr/bin or anything, RetroPie uses a bash script that runs ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation/emulationstation).
Hi Aloshi, Thanks again for the suggestion.

The GuiMenu.cpp file doesnt exist on the system anywhere.

The only file that exists in the directory ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation is a binary executable called emulationstation as seen below:

[email protected] ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation $ pwd
/home/pi/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation
[email protected] ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation $ ls -la
total 572
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi pi   4096 Jan 29 19:33 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 pi pi   4096 Nov  5 07:02 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 pi pi 576787 Jan 15 15:24 emulationstation
[email protected] ~/RetroPie/supplementary/EmulationStation $
I believe the author of retropie must have deleted the source code after compiling it with the distro, maybe to save a small amount of space.

Anyhow, I really appreciate the suggestions.

Cheers.

Aloshi

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Ah, that's probably it. You can try this:

cd ~/RetroPie/supplementary
rm -rf EmulationStation  # delete the old directory
git clone https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation  # redownload it (would fail if the old directory still existed)
cd EmulationStation
nano src/components/GuiMenu.cpp   # edit the file

export CXX=g++-4.7 # necessary the first time you have cmake generate the makefile
cmake .
make  # recompile, this will probably take a while

zadowsmash

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:28 am

Aloshi wrote:Ah, that's probably it. You can try this:

cd ~/RetroPie/supplementary
rm -rf EmulationStation  # delete the old directory
git clone https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation  # redownload it (would fail if the old directory still existed)
cd EmulationStation
nano src/components/GuiMenu.cpp   # edit the file

export CXX=g++-4.7 # necessary the first time you have cmake generate the makefile
cmake .
make  # recompile, this will probably take a while
Finally got time to do this, everything works awesome now. Thanks so much for your help Aloshi.

Your a champ :)

cacophony555

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 pm

I think I found a bug in emulationstation and was wondering if anybody else could reproduce. I've hit it quite a few times while navigating the games, and just found a reliable way to reproduce.

If you press/release"down" (to navigate down a list of games) and very quickly follow it by a quick press/release of the "select" button (the one that causes the jump to letter menu to appear), you'll continue to see the list scroll down forever despite not having any buttons pressed. Hitting a direction or page up/down button will stop the endless scroll.

You have to do it as one fluid motion: press/release press/release (all done in maybe 300ms total time)

Can anyone reproduce this?

KitchUK

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Was the ability to hide game titles implemented into Emulation Station?

Aloshi

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 pm

cacophony555 wrote:I think I found a bug in emulationstation and was wondering if anybody else could reproduce. I've hit it quite a few times while navigating the games, and just found a reliable way to reproduce.

If you press/release"down" (to navigate down a list of games) and very quickly follow it by a quick press/release of the "select" button (the one that causes the jump to letter menu to appear), you'll continue to see the list scroll down forever despite not having any buttons pressed. Hitting a direction or page up/down button will stop the endless scroll.

You have to do it as one fluid motion: press/release press/release (all done in maybe 300ms total time)

Can anyone reproduce this?
This is interesting, I'll see if it's still a problem on the unstable branch. I probably won't bother fixing it for the old version though.
KitchUK wrote:Was the ability to hide game titles implemented into Emulation Station?
Nope. The next version has a delete button though (which will remove the file from disk).

And since it's not really apparent, I'm not dead, updates are still happening. I've been working with a graphic designer to come up with a final UI and menu look, and I'm quite pleased with what we've come up with so far. There's still a lot to do though, and school gets in the way.

KitchUK

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Thank you for the update Aloshi. Will there be a way to hide titles in a future update? (I'm wanting to hide PrBoom.wad) from the Doom libretro port. :D

cacophony555

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks Aloshi! Hopefully it's easily reproducible for you or already fixed in the unstable branch. Is the unstable branch actually unstable? I'm tempted to give it a try, especially if there are new features like a delete button. A delete button is a great idea! Being able to star/highlight good games would also be interesting.

Return to “Gaming”