Jessie

Re: EmulationStation - an emulator front-end

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:03 pm

KitchUK wrote:Thank you for the update Aloshi. Will there be a way to hide titles in a future update? (I'm wanting to hide PrBoom.wad) from the Doom libretro port. :D
Just go in there and delete the wad file and comment out the doom section in es_systems.cfg and it goes away. That's how I got rid of all the stuff I didn't want.

Also thanks for continuing work on ES. Your hard work is appreciated.

Aloshi

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 pm

KitchUK wrote:Will there be a way to hide titles in a future update?
It's not planned at the moment. Maybe some sort of system-specific file blacklist at some point, but don't count on it (especially not any time soon).
cacophony555 wrote:Is the unstable branch actually unstable?
It's unstable in quite a few ways:

1. Some time ago I started developing ES primarily on my desktop PC, which runs Windows, so changes are checked in with no Linux/gcc or RPi testing. This means that there are times where it just doesn't work on Linux (for example, I spent an hour fighting with differences between gcc and msvc with templates this morning).
2. Things are currently not very intuitive. As it is now, most of the new features are kind of hidden (e.g. "press F3 for the metadata editor!" is mentioned nowhere). A lot of changes to address this have been worked out, but it will take time to implement them.
3. Up until now, big things have often been changing without warning (the theming system has been completely rewritten twice, the general interface hierarchy has changed multiple times, etc.).
4. No publicly available themes exist yet for the new format, so everything looks pretty bad. :)
5. The es_systems.cfg format has changed to be XML, so old configs don't work.

But like I mentioned before, there's a pretty clear end goal in mind now, so things should be starting to calm down soon-ish.
Jessie wrote:Also thanks for continuing work on ES. Your hard work is appreciated.
Thanks. :)

Rascas

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi

Is it possible to activate an option automatically within a timeout of no activity?
What im trying do/get is:

-I have emulationstation autostart at boot.
-In emulationstation first/default page i have a personalized menu with some options and the first one is to boot XBMC.

So what i want is that after boot to emulatiostation, if theres is no activity like a key press for 5 seconds, to get the first option activated automatically.

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Aloshi

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Hello Rascas,

There is no option to do this currently, but if you are willing to modify the source code, you could add it yourself with relatively little effort. The following is untested:

In src/main.cpp, after line 181, add

Code: Select all

bool canAutoStart = true;
Then, after line 199 (but before the curly brace "}", make a new line), add:

canAutoStart = false;
Then, after line 217, add (lines that start with // are comments):

if(canAutoStart && timeSinceLastEvent > 5000)
{
     canAutoStart = false;  // only if you want ES to NOT auto start again after its auto-started emulator closes
     timeSinceLastEvent = 0;

// launch the first game for the first system
     SystemData* sys = SystemData::sSystemVector.front();
     sys->launchGame(&window, (GameData*)((FolderData*)sys->getRootFolder())->getFilesRecursive(true).font();

// alternatively, to use a particular shell command, instead of the two SystemData lines above you can do:
     // window.deinit();   // shut down the renderer/SDL
     // system("shell command here");   // (e.g. system("startx");)
     // window.init();   // restart the renderer/SDL
}
Then run "make" in your EmulationStation directory to recompile.

(Again, this is completely untested. Also, if another programmer is reading this and the ridiculous file casting makes you groan, it's been rewritten in the unstable branch.)

Nitrogen_Widget

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm

This is exactly what I was looking for.
I wanted to use omxplayer to play random video's of arcade games as a screen saver when the cabinet was going un-used.
I have a script to do this but i'm not much of a programmer yet.

I'll see if I can make this work.
Thanks.

Rascas

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Hey Aloshi thanks for your help in the post above. It works.

Theres is another thing that im trying to do but i didnt figure it out yet.

In the menu that i created i would want to add an aditional custom bash script. One of the things the script must do is to exit emulation station, like if i pressed F4 or the exit through the settings menu. I tried things like pkill emulationstation and killall emulationstation but this dont work, emulation station starts automatically again.

So is there a way to do this, and preventing emulation station from starting again?

Thanks again

Aloshi

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:12 pm

This probably has something to do with whatever your auto-start script is (ES makes no attempts to restart itself).

Rascas

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Basically what im trying to do first, is to make only a simple bash script to exit/quit emulation station.

Well this script obviously as to be executed inside/in the Emulation Station.

Maybe this is so easy and a stupid question, but im not getting it work :?

PS: Emulation Station autostarts at boot.

Rascas

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:19 pm

So, i have installed Retropie latest binaries in Raspbian.

To get emulation station autostart i selected the option "Start Emulation Station at boot" in the retropie-setup script.

This is what this does:

sed /etc/inittab -i -e "s|1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1|1:2345:respawn:\/bin\/login -f pi tty1 \<\/dev\/tty1 \>\/dev\/tty1 2\>\&1|g"
sed /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf -i -e "s/autologin-user=pi/#autologin-user=/"
update-rc.d lightdm disable # taken from /usr/bin/raspi-config
if [ -z $(egrep -i "emulationstation$" /etc/profile) ]
then
echo "[ -n \"\${SSH_CONNECTION}\" ] || emulationstation" >> /etc/profile
fi

Rascas

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Well i managed to solve it.

It seems that was a problem with my gamelist.xml and maybe wrong permissions of my bash script.

I say this because rebuilding gamelist.xml and making a new script from the start solved the problem.

Sorry to bother you with this.

contra

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 am

Is there any way to prevent certain words/phrases from showing up in the lists? without the use of gamelist.xml.

For example "Axelay (USA) [!].zip" showing up as just "Axelay".
I know theres renamers and other ways to make this happen but it would be great if I could get emulationstation to do this automaticly without having to rename files or using a gamelist.

It already seem to skip printing out the extension *.zip. Any way to add skipping any parts with (*) and [*] ?

cacophony555

Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:47 pm

contra wrote: It already seem to skip printing out the extension *.zip. Any way to add skipping any parts with (*) and [*] ?
Great suggestion!

Aloshi

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 pm

contra wrote:Is there any way to prevent certain words/phrases from showing up in the lists? without the use of gamelist.xml.

For example "Axelay (USA) [!].zip" showing up as just "Axelay".
I know theres renamers and other ways to make this happen but it would be great if I could get emulationstation to do this automaticly without having to rename files or using a gamelist.

It already seem to skip printing out the extension *.zip. Any way to add skipping any parts with (*) and [*] ?
ES already does this in the unstable branch. Still working on finishing it up, real life has been super busy as of late.

Rascas

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Is there any way to get accents and characters like ç, /, ~ to work correctly in ES ?

Aloshi

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

ES currently does not support Unicode, only standard ASCII (specifically character codes 32-128 if I remember correctly). It is something I would like to add if I ever find the time (UTF-8 support).

(The reason it isn't straightforward to add is because ES has its own font rendering code based on an online example I found two years ago, which has a very simple design that is designed around pre-rasterizing characters 32-128 to a single texture atlas. It would need to be reworked to pre-rasterize the commonly used ASCII characters, and then rasterize future Unicode characters on demand in a way that doesn't waste a ton of VRAM. The new textbox code needs to be updated to support UTF-8 too, so the cursor moves the appropriate amount when encountering multi-byte characters, etc. Nothing that hasn't been done before, but my focus has been on other things.)

Rascas

Fri May 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi again,

Relatively to my previous post of an option to automatically activate something within a timeout of no activity, im not getting the changes to work.

I made the changes like you said (to the stable branch), compiled the binary, and copied it to the correct location, but nothing happens, like if no changes were made at all.
Maybe something is missing or i didnt get it right.

Can you please see my main.cpp if it is correct?
http://pastebin.com/tg4tfUBP

Thanks in advance

Aloshi

Fri May 02, 2014 1:33 pm

It looks like timeSinceLastEvent doesn't get incremented if sleeping is true. Try this, I moved the autostart code out of the sleeping code. It'll only work if you set "--dim-time 0" (to disable sleeping) or some value greater than 5000. The default is 30000 (30s), so you shouldn't have to do anything, but just something to keep in mind.

http://pastebin.com/NL0Zg8Kj

Rascas

Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Thank you very much.
It works fine now, it was exactly what i wanted :)

Just a very small bug. In my case it autostarts XBMC, but when i exit XBMC and ES starts again there is no sound in ES menus.
It works fine with the normal binary or if dont let the timeout expire, and start XBMC manually.

Thanks again

Aloshi

Fri May 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Ah, I forgot to add the AudioManager init/deinit calls. Try adding

AudioManager::getInstance()->deinit();
before window.deinit(); and

AudioManager::getInstance()->init();
after window.init();

Link2001

Sat May 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Does retropie work with IPAC2? I'm going to build an arcade machine so I really don't want to need a keyboard, plus how do I save and load slots?

KitchUK

Wed May 14, 2014 7:24 am

Hey Aloshi. Quick question. When using a gamelist.xml is there anyway to center the game list instead of it being to the right? I'm wanting to have all my titles properly names but no images.

Aloshi

Wed May 14, 2014 4:07 pm

The next version has an alignment setting for the gamelist (which can be "left", "center", or "right"). It also keeps the "basic" view if no games have images (instead of checking if the gamelist.xml file exists to determine the view, which is what the current version does).

Jessie

Wed May 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Aloshi, how is the new version comming along? Are there any videos of it in action?

Aloshi

Wed May 21, 2014 5:12 pm

We're still chipping away at it. The todo list is finally under a page for the first time in months. :) We're getting down to the polish, which means figuring out crazy small things like rounding errors causing the last 1px-tall separator to not render in lists.

We're up to 18,000 lines of code! :shock:

A lot of work is being put into the themes by Nils, too - he's using SVG vector graphics for all the logos (which ES now has internal support for), and he's had to create a few that he couldn't find online. We can't really release a beta until (most of) the themes are ready.

No video right now, but I'll ask Nils if he thinks it's ready to show off.

cacophony555

Wed May 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Any chance this new version will make it easy to have more than one image displayed per game? It would be great to display both the boxart and screenshot.

Return to “Gaming”