WeenieHut

Other Linux based games

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm quite new with raspberry pi 2 and I'm thinking of turning mine into the retro game emulator a lot of people seem to be doing. I'm wondering if there are other ways to get other pixel games that have been made compatible to linux onto my Pi?

The Raspberry Pi 2's OS (Jessie, Wheezy) is different from the normal PC linux, correct me if I'm wrong.
So I understand that maybe the game wasn't designed for Jessie or Wheezy operating systems, but people seem to be able to work magic with these Pi's and I'm wondering if there is some way to convert and do this or if it has been done before.

I've seen all the retro emulators, but I'm hoping to bring other low performance, pixel based games onto my Pi.

Any help or general talk of why and why this wouldn't work would be appreciated too.

- Many thanks, Marshall.

WeenieHut

Re: Other Linux based games

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:16 am

A game I had in mind was Postal . It was supported for Linux not to long ago but is extremely low in graphic intensity and is low memory usage which makes me believe it is the perfect Raspberry Pi 2 candidate. The game itself came out in 1996.

System Requirements:
Processor:166mhz processor
Memory:32 MB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 or later
Hard Drive:400 MB HD space

The raspberry Pi 2 seems like it would be able to handle this perfectly! I'm skeptical of the operating system compatibility, if it is built to run on 32bit or 64bit operating systems and the Raspberry dosen't fall into either of those categories (correct me if I'm wrong.) It has an ARMv7 CPU which puts it into a different category and everything must be edited and made to work with the Raspberry.

If any experts could give me a nudge in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it, As well as telling me Why or why it wouldn't work is also greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch - Marshall.

jackokring

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:03 am

Source code is critical for 'easy' building. The me4se project might be useful for many Java phone games. Almost anything C/SDL will compile, but may not run if too complex. For simple games, a rewrite may be necessary if they are for example written in something strange or rare.
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:02 am

WeenieHut wrote:The raspberry Pi 2 seems like it would be able to handle this perfectly! I'm skeptical of the operating system compatibility, if it is built to run on 32bit or 64bit operating systems and the Raspberry dosen't fall into either of those categories (correct me if I'm wrong.) It has an ARMv7 CPU which puts it into a different category and everything must be edited and made to work with the Raspberry..
x86 CPU Architecture is what the game is compiled to run on.

ARM CPU Architecture is what is in all Pi's

Both Architectures are available as 32bit or 64bit, therefore sticking to CPU Architecture is the normal way to describe, and there are many:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... hitectures

Also many games are proprietary licensed so may be old but is it legal to re-engineer ?
Adieu

WeenieHut

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:37 am

Thanks for replying, I had to research most of what you said Jacko and I learned quite a bit.

So I struggle with concepts with terms that I'm still learning.

As far as legality Fruit, I have no clue honestly. I'm just assuming it was ok because of the other retro game emulators and the games it comes with. If anything I want to see if it's possible and if it is, cool! I think that could also open a new door for something great in the Raspberry community. If anything..I'd have it for my own entertainment purposes and I wouldn't /couldn't release it without legal repercussions.

Also Fruit, If I'm understanding your post correctly, the processor in the Pi 2 would be able to work? It would just work at a slower rate?

And Jacko, is there some kind of program I can use that could compile the game files for Ubuntu linux version 14.04?

Thanks again. - Please explain it to me like I am an idiot, these concepts are hard for me and I'm not as savvy as you'd expect.

karrika

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:01 am

A small search showed that Postal is still being developed and sold by "Running with scissors". The game has a label "Unacceptable" on the box and seems to contain controversial material. So I am not sure that there would be much interest in getting it to run on any platform.

WeenieHut

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:40 am

karrika wrote:A small search showed that Postal is still being developed and sold by "Running with scissors". The game has a label "Unacceptable" on the box and seems to contain controversial material. So I am not sure that there would be much interest in getting it to run on any platform.
Postal's seemingly "Unacceptable" material comes from the time where violent video games turning kids into killers was a fresh idea, if compared to dead space or hatred or other seemingly grotesque games by today's standards, Postal was just a pioneer of its time with its unacceptable material and pushed the envelope.

Postal was denied from the Google app store for grotesque violence, yet they sell the entire GTA series, so now it's being sold In the Amazon app store. The difference being in Postal, The story and objective is to kill everyone in a psychotic rage. GTA is more so a storyline, and if you want to take to a life of crime and violence it would let you shoot someone, rather than have it be not possible.

So all that aside, my vision is to see if it is possible to run Postal on Raspberry 2, I've played Postal, and if anything it's a just a challenging 8bit shooter. Even if I did come up with a solution I wouldn't\couldn't post it for the world since the game is still being sold.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:58 am

WeenieHut wrote:Thanks for replying, I had to research most of what you said Jacko and I learned quite a bit.

So I struggle with concepts with terms that I'm still learning.

As far as legality Fruit, I have no clue honestly. I'm just assuming it was ok because of the other retro game emulators and the games it comes with. If anything I want to see if it's possible and if it is, cool! I think that could also open a new door for something great in the Raspberry community. If anything..I'd have it for my own entertainment purposes and I wouldn't /couldn't release it without legal repercussions.

Also Fruit, If I'm understanding your post correctly, the processor in the Pi 2 would be able to work? It would just work at a slower rate?

And Jacko, is there some kind of program I can use that could compile the game files for Ubuntu linux version 14.04?

Thanks again. - Please explain it to me like I am an idiot, these concepts are hard for me and I'm not as savvy as you'd expect.

Unfortunately you have a lot to understand about CPU Architecture, more than I will ever need or want to know, it would seem you need to compile the game engine to run on ARM Architecture as the first stage.

Do you have the Source Code ??

Comparing like for like CPU speed etcetera is irrelevent between Architectures:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1883 ... -efficient

Regards running in Ubuntu 14.04 it may well work, without modification, depending how the game was developed !
Adieu

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:24 pm

Just because you have a game that runs on Linux, it doesn't mean it will run on a Pi. You need the source-code for the game, not the game files.

Another source of games is to find some old DOS-based games from before Windows 95 and run them in DOSBOX. It should run at about the same speed as it ran on the processors that were around at the time.

As for legality, you would have to check the End-User Licese Agreement (EULA) that came with each game, because they are all different. If you own a copy of the game and if they don't have a clause saying you can only use it on their hardware, then you are generally OK. If you don't own the game then you can only use games that have been released for use in emulators -- which happens when the company has written off any new profits from them and wants to be nice (or can't be bothered to be nasty.)

WeenieHut

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Thank you Rurwin and Fruit, very educational. I'm attempting to obtain the source code and I'll keep you posted.

Now just to be clear, I'm only doing this for the sake of checking under the hood and to understand better, not to steal their product, of course I own my own copy of the game that I purchased legally.

Had trouble finding the EULA for Postal but I did find this when I started the game.... Pretty funny.

My current tests will be:
1. Attempt to install Ubuntu 14.04 on RaspBerry Pi 2
2. Attempt to Obtain Source code for Postal
(- Depending on how 1 and 2 go, we'll see about step 3.)
3. Check compatibility of software.

Same thing, (correct me if I'm wrong) Once games are finished they are compiled into this binary language, so I'm guessing I would have to decompile and see the code and start to reverse engineer this game on the coding level to make it work for Ubuntu.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:25 pm

WeenieHut wrote:Thank you Rurwin and Fruit, very educational. I'm attempting to obtain the source code and I'll keep you posted.

Now just to be clear, I'm only doing this for the sake of checking under the hood and to understand better, not to steal their product, of course I own my own copy of the game that I purchased legally.

Had trouble finding the EULA for Postal but I did find this when I started the game.... Pretty funny.

My current tests will be:
1. Attempt to install Ubuntu 14.04 on RaspBerry Pi 2
2. Attempt to Obtain Source code for Postal
(- Depending on how 1 and 2 go, we'll see about step 3.)
3. Check compatibility of software.

Same thing, (correct me if I'm wrong) Once games are finished they are compiled into this binary language, so I'm guessing I would have to decompile and see the code and start to reverse engineer this game on the coding level to make it work for Ubuntu.
Why use Ubuntu OS on Raspberry Pi ? Ubuntu is a fork of Debian !

Raspbian Jessie is based of Debian Jessie 8 and is the de-facto OS supported by the RPF
Adieu

WeenieHut

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Raspbian Jessie is based of Debian Jessie 8 and is the de-facto OS supported by the RPF
Hm, it is small knowledge like this that I'm still unaware of.

The reason I was thinking of 14.04 is because postal said it wanted 12.04 or equivalent in Ubuntu operating system.
I thought 14.04 would be the closest compatible choice if anything or in this case the "equivalent".

If Debian is similar enough to Ubuntu and will put me through less strain then I'll definitely give it a go.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:47 pm

WeenieHut wrote:

Hm, it is small knowledge like this that I'm still unaware of.

The reason I was thinking of 14.04 is because postal said it wanted 12.04 or equivalent in Ubuntu operating system.
I thought 14.04 would be the closest compatible choice if anything or in this case the "equivalent".

If Debian is similar enough to Ubuntu and will put me through less strain then I'll definitely give it a go.
That is why Googling is so successful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system)
Adieu

Return to “Gaming”