CourtneyMahre

Retropi PiTFT Setup Error

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:39 am

Hi guys,

So basically I'm following the guide in the link below and I get up to the point of

sudo install fbcp /usr/local/bin/fbcp

where I keep getting the error

install: cannot stat `fbcp': No such file or directory

https://learn.adafruit.com/running-open ... itft-setup

Please help. I've started this process over a few times to make sure it wasn't an error on my part when installing things. But I'm not too sure why it's not working/how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

rbpieboy

Re: Retropi PiTFT Setup Error

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:41 am

I'm getting exactly the same problem. If I find an answer I'll put it on here.

I've followed the instructions from Adafruit and also others for FBCP installation, but this error message seems fundamental so I'm surprised its not more common when setting up a PiTFT.

Until then, can anyone help?

I go through these steps, but the last command fails

pi@retropie ~ $ sudo apt-get install cmake
pi@retropie ~ $ git clone https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp
pi@retropie ~ $ cd rpi-fbcp/
pi@retropie ~ $ mkdir build
pi@retropie ~ $ cd build/
pi@retropie ~ $ cmake ..
pi@retropie ~ $ make
pi@retropie ~ $ sudo install fbcp /usr/local/bin/fbcp

Where is the path "/usr/local/bin/fbcp"? - does it exist?

I also tried this guide http://dsync.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/a-s ... lling.html

AndyD

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:55 am

It works for me.
rbpieboy wrote:Where is the path "/usr/local/bin/fbcp"? - does it exist?
What do you mean? "/usr/local/bin/" is a standard directory. It is a place for local programs.

The make command is the step that creates the fbcp file/executable.

All the install program does is copy the file fbcp into "/usr/local/bin/"

The error "install: cannot stat `fbcp': No such file or directory" would indicate that either the "make" step has failed (or hasn't been run). If the "make" step failed there would be some sort of error message from gcc.

rbpieboy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:00 am

Thanks for the response.

So if the "make" command has failed, does the "/usr/local/bin/" directoy not get created or should it already be there from the original retropie image?

When I type "dir" in the console it only shows me a few folders (retropie etc.) and not "usr". I know i'm not understanding this, but that's the point of the question.

Thanks

AndyD

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:15 am

The make command will only create the fbcp file. The "/usr/local/bin/" directory is a standard Linux directory. Having said that, you are talking about Retropie. I haven't used Retropi, and from a quick search it comes as an image. Hmmm ... perhaps the retropie image doesn't have a "/usr/local/bin/" directory.

If you type "ls usr" you are looking for contents in the current directory. We need to look at the top level directories, so that is "/usr/". The leading slash indicates from the top (or root) directory, without a leading slash it indicates relative to the current directory.

Try the following and report back

Code: Select all

ls -l /usr/local/bin/

rbpieboy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I'll give this a try when I get home from work later today

It 'should' work as the two PiTFT/Retropie guides I'm following give the same instructions for installing FBCP.

I know next to nothing about Linux, but I wonder if I am seeing the root directory (like C:/) in windows when I am in the RetroPie console, which shows: pi@retropie ~ $

I know I can see the "rpi-fbcp" directory, but not /usr/local/bin/fbcp

AndyD

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:40 am

When you prompt is "pi@retropie ~ $" The tilde ~ means you are in your home directory, /home/pi/. On Windows 10 this is equivalent to C:\Users\Pi. Most of the program in Windows 10 are installed in C:\Program Files\, which is I guess similar to /usr/local/bin/ in Linux.

rbpieboy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:02 am

I see, so how would I 'get in to' the root directory? If I type "cd" it just takes me to the home directory.

rpdom

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am

Yes, cd on its own will take you to your user home directory.

To go to the root directory you need to specify the path

cd /

(Just to confuse matters, the "root" user's home directory is called "/root", which is a directory called "root" in the root directory :lol: )

rbpieboy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:49 pm

If all the FBCP installation steps work ok up to the "make" command, but its only the /usr/local/bin/ path that is causing it to fail, I could manually create that folder and then try the install command "install fbcp /usr/local/bin/fbcp", then it should have somewhere to put it into.

rbpieboy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:00 pm

The second problem I have is in editing the runcommand.sh file. The Adafruit instructions states:

"Scroll down a bit, looking for the function called get_mode(), and insert the following two lines at the very start of the function then add":

mode_new = "DMT-87"
return

The text in the runcommand.sh file I see is not the same as that in the guide. I do not have a function called get_mode(), but there are several other lines similar, just not the same as the example shown, so I don't know where to put the mode_new... text.

all the other PiTFT setup steps seem to run ok, so its just these two to resolve - I hope.

The runcommand.sh edit path is : sudo nano /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh

rbpieboy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:35 pm

I tried installing fbcp again. I can see the following error message:

install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/fbcp': No such file or directory

I can see that directory, but for some reason the installer can't find it.

When I enter "ls -l /usr/local/bin/" I get the error message

"ls: cannot access /usr/local/bin/: No such file or directory"

what would stop it seeing that directory? is it some sort of user restriction?

AndyD

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:06 pm

It probably doesn't matter where you install fbcp. Why not put it in the pi users home directory. So borrowing your commands from before

pi@retropie ~ $ sudo apt-get install cmake
pi@retropie ~ $ git clone https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp
pi@retropie ~ $ cd rpi-fbcp/
pi@retropie ~ $ mkdir build
pi@retropie ~ $ cd build/
pi@retropie ~ $ cmake ..
pi@retropie ~ $ make
pi@retropie ~ $ mkdir -p /home/pi/bin/
pi@retropie ~ $ install fbcp /home/pi/bin/fbcp

Then in the instruction to make it run a boot, replace any reference to /usr/local/bin/ with /home/pi/bin/

rbpieboy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks I'll give that a go tonight

rbpieboy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:58 pm

I have finally got the PiTFT 2.8R working with Retropie!

I followed these instructions:

sudo raspi-config

-expand filesystem
-disable overscan
-force audio to 3.5mm
-advanced options >> enable Device Tree
-advanced options >> enable SPI >> load SPI kernel module by default

sudo reboot

sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

-make sure to put this at the end on the same line
-fbcon=map:10

cd

curl -SLs https://apt.adafruit.com/add-pin | sudo bash

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-bootloader

-y

sudo apt-get -y install adafruit-pitft-helper

sudo adafruit-pitft-helper -t 28r

-console on display? no
-gpio 23 as on off button? yes

sudo apt-get install cmake
git clone https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp
cd rpi-fbcp/
mkdir build
cd build/
cmake ..
make
sudo mkdir -p /home/pi/bin/
sudo install fbcp /home/pi/bin/fbcp

sudo nano /etc/profile.d/10-emulationstation.sh

-then add this

/home/pi/bin/fbcp &

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

-then add this

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_cvt=320 240 60 1 0 0 0
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
dtoverlay=pitft28r,rotate=90,speed=42000000,fps=60

sudo nano /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh

This is for function get_all_modes.

-Add the following lines to the script:

mode_new = "DMT-87"
return

rbpieboy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:28 pm

The screen will not change from the attached picture below unless I put the username and password in via SSH

Is there any way to automatically bypass this so that it boots straight into RetroPie?
Attachments
20160108_195006_HDR.jpg
20160108_195006_HDR.jpg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 6428 times

rbpieboy

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:23 pm

I've now fixed the login issue. So the Pi now starts up in Retropie and it seems to work

The next problem to fix is that when Retropie/Emulationstation is showing on the 2.8" screen, I can't access the console via SSH from Windows (Putty). I get this error message:

vchi_msg_dequeue -> -1(22)

and sometimes this one:

tvservice-client: Failed to connect to TV service: -1
vchi_msg_dequeue -> -1(22)

Sometimes it will work after a minute of the error message and give me a command prompt

rbpieboy

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:57 pm

I'm still getting the "vchi_msg_dequeue -> -1(22)" error when I try to connect via SSH

Also, The PiTFT set up seems to break my previously working retrogame GPIO controls set up, it doesn't work at all after the screen is set up.

AndyD

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 am

rbpieboy wrote:I'm still getting the "vchi_msg_dequeue -> -1(22)" error when I try to connect via SSH
There have been other reports of this error. It appears to occur when more that three program are trying to open the display. Other than Retropie and PiTFT, have you set any other programs to run automatically?
rbpieboy wrote:Also, The PiTFT set up seems to break my previously working retrogame GPIO controls set up, it doesn't work at all after the screen is set up.
You are possibly trying to use the same GPIO pins for the retrogame GPIO controls as are used by the PiTFT.

It really sounds like the PiTFT screen wasn't the best solution. There are a number of small HDMI screen available, that are reasonably priced. If you use an HDMI screen, you wouldn't need to use fbcp or any of the GPIO pins for the screen. I don't have one myself, but Adafruit's HDMI 5" Display Backpack - Without Touch might be a better option.

rbpieboy

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:24 pm

It needs to be a small screen as its for a handheld project. I'm on my 5th screen (two very cheap, two were wrong) and thought the Adafruit one was the final but relatively expensive answer. I've wasted a huge amount of time on getting it working. The screen and controls were all on different GPIO pins.

I can get the PiTFT working and I can sometimes SSH into it despite the "vchi_msg_dequeue" error, but once the Adafruit 'retrogame' GPIO controls don't work then my project falls down. I don't understand why I can't get a Pi2, Retropie, Adafruit PiTFT 2.8R and Adafruit Retrogame working together when there are two guides on Adafruit's own website.

I considered using a Teensy 2.0 for the controls, but now I know how hit-and-miss getting hardware to work together is and my lack of Linux knowledge means that if it go down that route i'll end up wasting a huge amount (more) time.

A small (max 3.5") HDMI screen would be ideal, but they don't exist

Even a complete disk image file with a working installation of Retropie+Adafruit PiTFT 2.8R+Adafruit Retrogame would solve the problem completely.
Attachments
20160109_102638_HDR.jpg
20160109_102638_HDR.jpg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 6250 times

AndyD

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi rbpieboy,

It sounds like this has been very frustrating. I can see now why you chose the components you have. I don't know where in the world you are. I wonder if there might be a local or near by Raspberry Pi Jam where you could get some hands on help.

It also might be worth posting on the Adafruit forum and asking about those tutorials. Unfortunately, things have been changing very quickly last year (2015) with the move from Raspbian Wheezy to Jessie.

Back to your current state. You have a picture of your TFT showing part of the console. Is this the same output as shown by a TV/Monitor attached to the Raspberry Pi?

rbpieboy

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:00 pm

I got past that partial console problem and then the TFT would show the normal emulationstation screen.

Once the TFT is set and working up I can't connect my HDMI TV because it can't support the resolution, even if the TFT was unplugged.

I'm still left with the SSH error and more importantly the adafruit retrogame control problem.

rbpieboy

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:07 pm

20160113_203106_HDR.jpg
20160113_203106_HDR.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
I have made some progress!

I wrote the Adafruit Pocket PiGrrl image to a MicroSD card and put it in my Pi 2 with the 2.8" PiTFT fitted and it works ok. This also has the Adafruit Retrogame program installed.

https://learn.adafruit.com/pocket-pigrrl/software-1

Its a slightly older version of Retropie, but it'll do for now. I've edited the Retrogame controls to suit the GPIO pins that I'm using for my controller and they seem to work. Its great to have the screen and the controls working for the first time.

Next things to fix on the software front are:

1. Retropie / EmulationStation looks terrible, there are no pictures in the background and the text is dire. I need a suitable EmulationStation theme for 320x240 resolution
2. Set up emulators

Then finally back to the hardware
Last edited by rbpieboy on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbpieboy

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:13 pm

Here's what I see in EmulationStation. Missing graphics etc. - seems like there's no theme
Attachments
20160113_203106_HDR.jpg
20160113_203106_HDR.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 6135 times

ileofa

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:49 pm

rbpieboy wrote:I've now fixed the login issue. So the Pi now starts up in Retropie and it seems to work
I have the same problem. How did u solve it?
thanks

Return to “Gaming”