Grognak

GBA Original Case?

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 pm

After finding out how subpar SNES emulation is on the Pi B+ (Don't get me wrong the games play at full speed but there are still a few tweaks that should've been fixed), I'm now looking into upgrading from the Pi B+ to the Pi 2, however this has lead me to wonder what I want to do with my B+ when I get my Pi 2. My first idea was a standup arcade, but that's kind of expensive, and I have no guarantee that the games I want will play correctly, considering that SNES still isn't perfect. So my backup plan is to make a portable console out of it. Most people use DMG cases, as they have more room, but I want to use an original GBA case, as I won't have to drill holes to add the LR buttons, and it will fit in my hands better than an SP case (and give me more room to work with). My only concern is that either the Pi won't fit without removing ports, or the screen that Adafruit sells will be too small, which I think it will be as it's 0.1 inches smaller than the original screen. I'd like to be able to keep most of the ports on the pie, specifically the ethernet port for transferring roms (the alternative is keeping one of the USB port blocks and using a USB wifi adapter, which will take up the same amount of room, if not more.)

So, my question is, has anyone tried to put a Pi in a GBA case? Has anyone succeeded?

metalj

Re: GBA Original Case?

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:08 am

I would do it in a second if all I had to do was add a pi and didn't have to 3d print something and if the whole thing ran on two double a batteries.
Backspace 28 times :)

Grognak

Re: GBA Original Case?

Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:50 am

I'm sure that that would be possible. I mean, people have done that kind of thing for original DMG Gameboys, so why wouldn't it be possible on a GBA?

Return to “Gaming”