scoobythis

Re: RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image

Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:17 pm

First off thanks for all of you work.

Do you have a location where it states the file type needed for each emulator. Having issues with PS1 files, I have tried them zipped and extracted. Goes to load, says invalid file and then returns to emulator launcher.

Also for MaME and Commodore games, if there a section on how to configure joypad (Using a SNES type USB).

I'm looking on the internet for these answers as well however I thought I post to see if you can answer or if anyone else is having same issues.

Thanks
Dave

jalondo

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:33 am

Hello Smithers ,
Thank you so much for all the work you're doing in this compilation , to have a multi system Kodi and hindfoot ( emulators ) .

It is exceptional ;)

He was interested in downloading this version 4 which you freed but I get this message from the hosting dropbox .
Error (429)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Can you re-raise another hosting compilation, please?

Thank you!!.

Smithers

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi all.

I had a request for a 'vanilla' build over on the RetroPie forums - and here it is:

‘Vanilla’ build of RetroPie / OSMC:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swgen48306ko3 ... S.zip?dl=0

(MEGA alternative link - https://mega.co.nz/#!lAZ11bSK!dxxDPLMIT ... W1hEfGSbdM )

Both OS’s are standard in every way other than my scripts to switch between OS’s. OSMC will prompt you with its normal ‘First Setup’ steps after install and RetroPie will ask for controller setup as normal. I have not modified either system in any other way so they will act and perform as the standard builds would.

This build allows installing via the normal SD card method OR using a USB stick to store the OS’s on. If you use the USB stick method then you will only lose around 125MB to install files, whereas using the normal SD card method you will lose around 800MB. I recommend using USB!

Full instructions in the normal ‘README’ file. I’ve tested it a few times and it works great but please let me know how you get on!

I will look into RasPlex next as a ‘Vanilla’ build then work on ‘full’ builds for both, which should allow time for RetroPie v3 final to arrive! :)

As for the OpenELEC build – I’m not sure what to do for the best. I like the stability of KODI v14 but if that has SD card corruption issues then I don’t want to package it up and release it for fear of creating problems for folk. As for the v15 release candidate – it seems to me like it has some bugs that cause it to crash quite a bit. I think I would rather wait for v15 final than use any other Betas, but not sure when that will be. :/

Anyway – Hope this helps someone. I’ve never used OSMC before but some people seem to prefer it so here it is.

All the best.
Steve

p.s. I forgot to mention, I have created a separate ‘OSMC’ theme, instead of using the normal KODI theme. So that is another change to the RetroPie build, but nothing major. Let me know what you think of the theme!

p.p.s. - this is a lazy, pretty much straight copy and paste post from the RetroPie forums, so might seem a little out of context haha!

Smithers

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:06 pm

jalondo wrote:Hello Smithers ,
Thank you so much for all the work you're doing in this compilation , to have a multi system Kodi and hindfoot ( emulators ) .

It is exceptional ;)

He was interested in downloading this version 4 which you freed but I get this message from the hosting dropbox .
Error (429)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Can you re-raise another hosting compilation, please?

Thank you!!.
Hi Jalondo.

Thanks - glad you found it useful! Please see below a different link to my v4 build:

*REMOVED*

All the best,
Steve
Last edited by Smithers on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superceleron

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:57 pm

Looks good, nice work :)
Tomorrow i'm going to test it :)

justpuff

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:28 am

Nice work retropi 3.0 final released now :-)

justpuff

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:31 am

Hi Smithers, would it be possible to get dual boot of the stable 3.0 retropie and more stable version unofficial rls of isengard 15.1 which is far more stable than the 15.0 of openelec fixes allot of issues

Openeelc 6.0 : http://bit.ly/1TzXOYW

Cheers

Smithers

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:23 am

Hi.

Yes I will be working on a new install based on v3 stable and I will look into the 15.1 OpenELEC release, thanks for the heads up.

In trying to get a couple more ports compiled to add some extra game choices too.

All the best.
Steve

Sweden38

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:26 am

Hello all,
I´m using this great Smithers SD image V4, this is a great job!.
Does anyone know how to make it work the dualshock 3 wireless (DS3) on KODI?. I mean that I have no problems with EMUSTATION but if I reeboot on "OPENELEC MODE" I´m only able to use a wireless keyboard, the gamepad is useless...

It would be great to use just the gamepad (DS3, wireless) for both systems. Anyone have done it?.

Thanks!

Sweden38

Haris1977

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:33 am

Stupid question. Does this image work for rpi 1 too?

Smithers

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:46 am

Sweden38 wrote:Hello all,
I´m using this great Smithers SD image V4, this is a great job!.
Does anyone know how to make it work the dualshock 3 wireless (DS3) on KODI?. I mean that I have no problems with EMUSTATION but if I reeboot on "OPENELEC MODE" I´m only able to use a wireless keyboard, the gamepad is useless...

It would be great to use just the gamepad (DS3, wireless) for both systems. Anyone have done it?.

Thanks!

Sweden38
Hi.

As far as I am aware, OpenELEC does not support control via a game pad. I briefly looked into it myself and that was the answer I found so I never pursued any further with it.

There may be a way to set up keystroke emulation for the pad (does Xboxdrv support this?) but I really don't know for certain.

Smithers

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:47 am

Haris1977 wrote:Stupid question. Does this image work for rpi 1 too?
I'm afraid not - this is strictly for Pi2. I would highly recommend upgrading to a Pi 2 though as it runs so much better than the Pi 1.

All the best
Steve

zapoc

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:08 am

Hi Smithers,

I wonder if you could make a tutorial to apply your dual boot system for custom distributions? For example (OpenELEC 5.0.8 / lakka.tv) or (OSMC / lakka.tv) (OSMC order to extend the use of the DS3 in Kodi)

Thanks for your work
Zapoc

zapoc

Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:03 am

Sorry, double post --'
Last edited by zapoc on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonatutu

Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:23 am

Great Rom, I personally feel the kodi runs better than the original image I download from openelec. Did not experience any shutters like I have experience on openelec 5.0.8. But how do I use the save state / load state feature of Gpsp,RetroPie? I am unable to use the quick save state on the gpsp emulator that comes with the image. I build my own gpsp module, save state works but it is lacking the feature to set gamepad config... I do not know what is the problem...

danwelsh

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks for doing this......I'm going to have my pi this week and just joined this forum and will be definitely trying this out! :)

Smithers

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:50 pm

zapoc wrote:Hi Smithers,

I wonder if you could make a tutorial to apply your dual boot system for custom distributions? For example (OpenELEC 5.0.8 / lakka.tv) or (OSMC / lakka.tv) (OSMC order to extend the use of the DS3 in Kodi)

Thanks for your work
Zapoc
Hi.

I probably could yes, but it won't be just yet if Im honest.

The process is actually quite easy though in fairness, especially via the USB stick method. All you need to do is be able to create a tar.xz backup(s) of the operating system you want to install, copy the files into an 'os' folder on the root of a USB stick (e.g. /os/retropie/retropie.tar.xz), and amend a text file with the new file parameters (name, size etc.). Then you just need to copy the files from the USB install version of NOOBS (included in my builds) onto a blank FAT32 formatted sd card, plug the card and USB stick into the Pi and away you go. The most time consuming part of the whole affair is creating the tar.xz files.

I will write up a guide at some point, but the information is already out there in the meantime on how to do it. I would definitely recommend using the USB method though, so you can make your tar.xz files as big as you want without sacrificing SD card space.

Smithers

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Ok then, time for a new build – this is "Vanilla" RetroPie v3 and OpenELEC v15.1 (which addresses some of the bugs present in the last build). Please see links below:

MEGA:
https://mega.nz/#!UY5WAAJC!8-SxGSaWobfa ... 8osIg5RelQ

Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zso2agu4cnxwd ... s.zip?dl=0

They work the same as my previous builds however I have changed the way in which you switch from OpenELEC to RetroPie. I no longer use Advanced Launcher and instead have incorporated a direct link to the launcher script in the ‘Games’ section (click the ‘Launch RetroPie’ button under the ‘Games’ header).

Seems to work fine my end – on first impressions OpenELEC seems more stable and no annoying popups asking to install scripts (so far!). It also has a nice KODI boot video too now which is new and looks great! (I didn’t make the video, it is just something that appeared in this update – just to be clear!).

Anyway – let me know how you get on.

My ‘tweaked’ build will follow in the next few days and I will be including some more ‘non-standard’ ports for your gaming pleasure.

All the best.
Steve

DataBass

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:16 am

Hey Smithers, first off thanks for all your hard work put into these builds. I came across a video of yours on YouTube recently and decided to install your August 10th build, it works flawlessly. I do have a issue with the partition size for openelec being so small, I have it setup on a 8gb for testing but plan on putting it onto a 32gb sd. As of right now I installed a skin and a few apps, I didn't even setup movie library's yet and I've used 100% of the partition. I don't have enough space to create openelec backups much less add movies to library with scraped images, Id rather not use a USB stick to hold data. I was wondering if it would be possible to dedicate 5gb or so to retropie and have the majority of 32gb sd left over space dedicated to openelec, or maybe even split them 50/50? After all roms aren't very large in size, in fact I have 1000+ nes rooms, 850+ snes roms, & 100+ Sega Genesis roms installed & partially scraped at the moment with only 3gb of space used. I don't plan on keeping that many roms so I don't really need a huge partition. Is there a way I can adjust the partition sizes to fit my needs or perhaps a simple fix?

Thanks & hope to hear back from you soon.

This is my first post BTW. ;P

Grimoz

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 am

Hey Smithers appreciate all your hard work, this file is just what I'm after unfortunately I'm having all kinds of trouble getting it to install correctly due to partition issues etc, would it be possible for you to create an image file that can be written directly to the sd card using win32diskimager instead of having to run the books setup? I know it woud save myself a whole lot of trouble.

Smithers

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:49 pm

DataBass wrote:Hey I was wondering if it would be possible to dedicate 5gb or so to retropie and have the majority of 32gb sd left over space dedicated to openelec, or maybe even split them 50/50? After all roms aren't very large in size, in fact I have 1000+ nes rooms, 850+ snes roms, & 100+ Sega Genesis roms installed & partially scraped at the moment with only 3gb of space used. I don't plan on keeping that many roms so I don't really need a huge partition. Is there a way I can adjust the partition sizes to fit my needs or perhaps a simple fix?

Thanks & hope to hear back from you soon.

This is my first post BTW. ;P
Indeed it is possible yes, it is just a simple change of a text file. I currently have it set to allocate around 1GB to OpenELEC and the rest of the card to Retropie. This works great for me as I only ever stream video from the Internet so I don't need massive amounts if space available to KODI. You can however set whatever value you wish in the noobs partition files, so you could have 5gb for retropie and the rest of the available space for OpenELEC, or any value you wanted really.

If you look inside the 'os' folder of my build you will find 2 sub folders -retropie and OpenELEC. Go inside one of those folders and you will find a file named 'partitions.json'. This file holds the partition size value in MB for each os. Don't change the 'BOOT' partition size of retropie or the 'system' partition size of OpenELEC ! These need to remain as is but you can change the value of the others as you please, eg 5000 would be about 5gb for the 'retropie' partition. You will notice I set the 'want maximised' flag as 'yes' on the retropie file but you want to change that to no for retropie and yes for the 'openelec storage ' partition.

This is all from memory as I am not in front of my pi right now but once you have a look inside my setup files you will see what I mean. Please be aware that it may change the partition order and therefore my os changing script may need amending. Let me know if that is the case and I will tell you how to do that.

Good luck!

All the best.
Steve

Ps - you will need to start again from scratch to do this.

Smithers

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Grimoz wrote:Hey Smithers appreciate all your hard work, this file is just what I'm after unfortunately I'm having all kinds of trouble getting it to install correctly due to partition issues etc, would it be possible for you to create an image file that can be written directly to the sd card using win32diskimager instead of having to run the books setup? I know it woud save myself a whole lot of trouble.
Hi.

Sounds like your sd card is at fault - did you use the sd format tool I mentioned in the reade file? That normally solves such problems.

A disk image is out of the question unfortunately as there is no way to expand your file system when noobs is installed. I tried this when I first released my image but nobody could get it to expand, so you are stuck with noobs I'm afraid. I prefer it for this type of setup, personally .

Grimoz

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:33 pm

The card is brand new but no matter what i do it still won't work, I think you may be right and my card is faulty.

gcesar33

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:48 pm

Hello Smithers,

First of all, i wanted to thank you for sharing your hard work. I am new to Retropie, and i am still in the process of learning. Recently i build the a Paspberry pie 2 with OSMC. I really like your idea/concept of having a dual disc image with Retropie/openELEC. I already ordered some of the parts from Amazon for the Raspberry pie 2, but i am still undecided whether to get a 32GB or 64Gb SD card (SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB UHS-I/U3 Micro SDXC Memory Card Speeds Up To 95MB/s With 4K Ultra HD Ready-SDSDQXP-064G-G46A). Do you think this is a good SD card? I read some of the comments about partitioning the card or having issues with space, that i do not want to have any inconvenience for space after installing the image in the card. I would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Cesar

DataBass

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:59 am

Smithers wrote: If you look inside the 'os' folder of my build you will find 2 sub folders -retropie and OpenELEC. Go inside one of those folders and you will find a file named 'partitions.json'. This file holds the partition size value in MB for each os. Don't change the 'BOOT' partition size of retropie or the 'system' partition size of OpenELEC ! These need to remain as is but you can change the value of the others as you please, eg 5000 would be about 5gb for the 'retropie' partition. You will notice I set the 'want maximised' flag as 'yes' on the retropie file but you want to change that to no for retropie and yes for the 'openelec storage ' partition.
Since I have to redo the setup I decided to grab your newest OpenElec v6 build. If I'm understanding correctly I will be editing 2 partitions.json files, one for retropie & the other for openelec. I'm still testing on a 8gb sd so I decided to partition retropie to 2.5gb instead, here are my edited files:

RetroPie (partitions.json)

Code: Select all

{
  "partitions": [
    {
      "label": "BOOT",
      "filesystem_type": "FAT",
      "partition_size_nominal": 57,
      "want_maximised": false,
      "uncompressed_tarball_size": 20
    },
    {
      "label": "retropie",
      "filesystem_type": "ext4",
      "partition_size_nominal": 2500,
      "want_maximised": [b]false[/b],
      "mkfs_options": "-O ^huge_file",
      "uncompressed_tarball_size": 1705
    }
  ]
}
OpenElec (partition.json)

Code: Select all

{
 "partitions" : [
  {
   "filesystem_type" : "FAT",
   "label" : "OpenELEC_RPi2_System",
   "mkfs_options" : "",
   "partition_size_nominal" : 160,
   "uncompressed_tarball_size" : 110,
   "want_maximised" : false
  },
  {
   "filesystem_type" : "ext4",
   "label" : "OpenELEC_RPi2_Storage",
   "mkfs_options" : "",
   "partition_size_nominal" : [b]3000[/b],
   "uncompressed_tarball_size" : 66,
   "want_maximised" : [b]true[/b]
  }
 ]
}
Everything in bold are the changes made, after installation was complete it asked me what os too boot into. I don't recall it asking with your v4 build but no biggy, after selecting which to boot in and restarting it did not ask again. As for the partitions it looks like that did indeed work. The retropie partiton is 2.5gb with 1.8gb used after install (not touched) leaving 423.3mb space, and as for openelec partition is showing 3.8gb with 73.6mb used (not touched).
Note: Tested on an 8gb sd card.

I'm able to restart Kodi & it loads back into Kodi, enter retropie threw Kodi submenu, restart retropie back into retropie, & enter kodi from retropie. Everything seems to work properly, when you mentioned I may have to amend something what were you refering too?

Also is this an offical release of Kodi 15.1? I noticed on load it says "popcornmix".

I prefer to use the Rapier skin, I was able to get the game menu to work in your previous v4 build but how would I go about getting it to work in your current v6 build? I used the custom action option in Rapier settings entering "ActivateWindow(10001,"plugin://plugin.program.advanced.launcher/?default",return)" on your v4 build.
edit: I figured it out, I was calling fakescript.sh instead of games.sh
If anyone else is wondering how to do this use custom action: System.Exec(/storage/ss/games.sh)

Thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it.

Return to “Gaming”