Smithers

RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 am

**EDIT** - to save time reading through this post - here is a direct link to download my image:

RetroPie / OpenELEC -
*REMOVED*

RetroPie / OSMC Vanilla build - https://mega.co.nz/#!lAZ11bSK!dxxDPLMIT ... W1hEfGSbdM

Hi.

I'm trying to gage interest on something - I have been working on my RetroPie gaming setup for months now and have finally got it all working 100% as I would like it. I have a dual boot setup and created an add-on for KODI that will start retropie and vice versa within RetroPie to start KODI. It all runs beautifully and I have hidden all boot text etc. I have also set all the best emulators for Mame, FBA, SNES games etc so you don't need to and have modified the Emulation Station themes to show only screenshots per game and have changed all the background system images for my own personal touch, along with a themed KODI too.

So, I was going to offer my setup as a downloadable image for anyone who wanted to cut out the hassles of getting it all setup but before I did I just wanted to see if there was any interest as it will take me a long time to strip it all back to a small size (removing all roms of course), to be able to upload. I get terrible upload speeds of 0.7mbps so I would need the image to be small as possible!

Here is a video of my setup:

*REMOVED*

Let me know if you would be interested and if there is enough interest then I will start working on it.

Not meaning to tread on the toes of all the hard work that has already been put in by the creators and contributors to the RetroPie project as a whole, just wanted to contribute something myself and I know that if such an image was available when I first started out I would have been most appreciative! (and would have 7 months of my own time back haha!).

I have already posted this at the RetroPie forums but thought I would post here too.

Cheers.
Steve
Last edited by Smithers on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

kusti8

Re: RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:27 am

It seems that it's already been done:
http://www.recalbox.com/
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Smithers

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:40 am

If I recall correctly, Recalbox isn't a dual boot and rather it has the Raspian installer version of KODI which isn't as stable as OpenELEC? I could be wrong though. I tried Recalbox before and it was very good but I liked the emulator choices and setup scripts that came with RetroPie and that swayed it for me (and helped me learn Linux!).

Like I say though, I'm just seeing if anyone was interested. If not then that's cool. It saves me a great deal of time! ;)

DanFaraday

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:18 am

I'm really interested in this project. Just a few questions:
1) How the partitions will be sized? On a 32gb sdcard how much space will be dedicated to openelec and how much to retropie?
2) What about updates? Will everything still work after a OE or Retropie update?
3) What about a guide? It would be really interesting to understand how did you make it work this good, and maybe I'll try to replace openelec with osmc (that I prefer) by myself.

Dalton63841

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:36 am

DanFaraday wrote:I'm really interested in this project. Just a few questions:
1) How the partitions will be sized? On a 32gb sdcard how much space will be dedicated to openelec and how much to retropie?
2) What about updates? Will everything still work after a OE or Retropie update?
3) What about a guide? It would be really interesting to understand how did you make it work this good, and maybe I'll try to replace openelec with osmc (that I prefer) by myself.
Regarding #3, you can check out this guide I wrote out a while back. Read through both post 2 & 3, as post 3 made some changes. It gives you a dual boot, a retropie menu option to reboot to OE, and an OE addon to reboot into RetroPie.
http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry- ... h-retropie

tankie

Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:58 pm

before reading this thread i always thought, after the release of kodi 15 there won't be any more real issues left (black screen when switching back to emulationstation).
now, after re-thinking it, i would really love to try a dual boot disc image... i'd really like to go back to openelec, because i believe it really is a bit more stable than installing kodi in raspbian/retropie.
i'll keep an eye on this thread :)

Smithers

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Dalton63841 wrote:
DanFaraday wrote:I'm really interested in this project. Just a few questions:
Regarding #3, you can check out this guide I wrote out a while back. Read through both post 2 & 3, as post 3 made some changes. It gives you a dual boot, a retropie menu option to reboot to OE, and an OE addon to reboot into RetroPie.
http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry- ... h-retropie
Hi.

I used a very similar method to yours, however my method allows rebooting within RetroPie and rebooting within KODI as if they were standalone systems, so basically once you are in one system it will stay there forever until you choose the other system (then it will stay in that one until you tell it otherwise).

To do this I (from memory here!) edited the 'autoboot.txt' file to boot only to KODI, then made a copy called 'autobootgames.txt' which held settings inside to boot to RetroPie. I then created a folder in the home directory of the KODI partition called 'noobs' where the NOOBS partition could be mounted safely and created a script in the KODI partition that went like this:

#!/bin/bash
cd ~
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 noobs
cd noobs
mv autoboot.txt autobootkodi.txt
mv autobootgames.txt autoboot.txt
reboot

*(edited to show the correct script)

Then using Adv Launcher I integrated it into the KODI user unterface. Now when selected, it runs the script above which does this:
Mounts the NOOBS partition to the 'noobs' folder I created
Enters the 'noobs' directory
Renames the existing 'autoboot.txt' to 'autobootkodi.txt'
Renames 'autobootgames.txt' to 'autoboot.txt'
Reboots the Pi

This now loads me into RetroPie.

I then created a folder called 'noobs' in the home directory of the RetroPie partition to allow mounting of the NOOBS partition and created a script in the RetroPie partition which does the same (but opposite system) of the above - it mounts the NOOBs partiton to the 'noobs' folder, renames 'autoboot.txt' to 'autobootgames.txt' and renames 'autobootkodi.txt' to 'autoboot.txt' then reboots. Of course you need to add the 'sudo' command for RetroPie too as by default it is user = Pi. See below actual script:

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/pi
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 noobs
cd /home/pi/noobs
sudo mv autoboot.txt autobootgames.txt
sudo mv autobootkodi.txt autoboot.txt
sudo reboot

I created a system menu for KODI in RetroPie and placed the script in its 'roms' directory and that was it, done!

To answer other questions:

I allocated just over 1GB to KODI which seems to work fine (I wouldn't want to go much less than that). There is around 27GB allocated to RetroPie when using a 32GB card.

Updates should be fine, so long as you are using the RetroPie Setup Script.

OSMC - I have never tried it however I hear it isn't as stable as openelec?

As for openelec vs raspbian build - to me there is no comparison. Openelec is much more stable in my experiences, even normal things like skipping through videos I found could crash the raspbian build. May have just been my setup but I tried it a few times in separate builds and always experiences a lot of crashes.

Phew! That took alot of typing on my phone haha!

Dalton63841

Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:19 am

Smithers wrote: I used a very similar method to yours, however my method allows rebooting within RetroPie and rebooting within KODI as if they were standalone systems, so basically once you are in one system it will stay there forever until you choose the other system (then it will stay in that one until you tell it otherwise).
Haha! Mine actually works exactly like that. In Openelec, a reboot takes you right back to Openelec. but using the addon reboots to Retropie. Same on the retropie side. Same method in fact, by modifying the autoboot.txt file on the fly. That was one of the modifications I made in post 3 of that thread.

Great minds think alike I guess!

Smithers

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:12 am

Ahh I see! Sorry, I didn't read past your first post so didn't see your update, I just saw you had said you would work on getting the reboot to work. My bad!

Indeed we do have the same method then! I saw other methods that swap the partition on reboot of either system but couldn't get them to work with the instructions they provided so that's when I set out to find my own way. It is actually easier in our method too I would say, and certainly more user friendly, so not sure why others haven't already adopted it? (I couldn't see any youtube videos of this method, only the reboot one and standard Raspian setup).

Smithers

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:45 pm

Ok then. I have created an image which should work out ok but its rather large @ ~8GB!

I am currently compressing it via tar.xz in Linux which will hopefully reduce it somewhat but we will see.

In the meantime – here is a zip file containing directory prints of my roms folder structures. This means you can rename your rom files to match mine and then the screenshots will appear and they will load into the best emulator etc.
Attachments
rom_names.zip
(36.79 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

Smithers

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:17 am

Ok then, update!

The Tar.xz file I tried to make in Linux did not work at all and the Tar file was bigger than the original image @ 9GB!! :s Not sure what happened there!!

So then, I have used 7-Zip instead and it has trimmed the ~8GB image nicely down to 3.7GB. Perfect!

So now the question is - where to upload it? I have a Mega account, is that any good for such a large file? I don't ever have the need to upload anything massive like this so don't know what the best options are.

Any thoughts?

Sweden38

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Hello Smithers,
I´m very interested on your dual boot setup. This is exactly what I´m looking for, and since I´m a "beginner user" of Rapsberry I would appreciate to save a lot of headaches if I can get the SD image from you.

I have a copuple of questions:

1.- I have a 64GB microSD card, so I guess that 4GB for Kodi and 60 for Retropie will be OK, right?.

2.- I´m planning to buy a Playstation 3 gamepad (DS3). But what do you recommend accoding to your experience (I´m open to buy other kind of gamepad if is more stable/compatible)?.

Regarding where to upload the image file... DROPBOX looks to be a good alternative (10GB limit... on just one single file).

Thanks a lot for your support!.

Sweden38

swe_toast

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:03 pm

OSMC + Retropie no dualboot .. much better

Dalton63841

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:01 pm

swe_toast wrote:OSMC + Retropie no dualboot .. much better
Didn't that break a couple weeks ago with the newest OSMC update? Or did he manage to fix it and get it all working again?

sam nazarko

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:43 pm

Not to my knowledge, but we're not too keen on the state of the script.

Retro gaming support is tentatively scheduled for inclusion in OSMC by September.

Sam

Smithers

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 am

Right then folks - the upload has finally finished! :!:

Here is a link - hope this works!

*Edit - updated link*

*REMOVED*

Please let me know how you get on.

I will respond to the questions above tomorrow as I must now go to bed (got to be up for work in less than 5 hours!) :(

*here is the old link, should you want it: *REMOVED*
Last edited by Smithers on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmbmartinez

Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:51 am

Good morning,
Great job, it's great, but I have problems, I can not configure Retropie in the menu "Retropie" no commands do not work, i cant access by f4, and the menu not appears to me to set the jostick, dual booting is great and works perfectly, OpenELEC has not given me problems, can u help me? thank you very much for your work

Smithers

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:28 pm

OK so a couple of notes on my build. I have disabled all boot text and all command line text etc. This gives a lovely clean look however it does mean that you cannot see the command prompt if you need to work on anything via terminal (command line). This means it is strictly SSH only unless you revert the cmdline.txt back to original settings. Another side-effect of this is that if you go into a menu (e.g. when you press ‘X’ whilst loading a game), when you make your changes and exit out you will notice that a static screen of the menu screen will appear every time you load / exit a game (instead of fading to black). This is resolved by a reboot. There is probably a way to enter a ‘clear’ command or something into the script to get around this, but I haven’t got that far and you shouldn’t need to really tweak too much in there anyways. Another point to note is that this also makes some of the RetroPie Setup items defunct as they need the command line visible. I normally remove the ‘Settings’ tab on my build as I don’t need them, but I kept it in for this build.

Over clocking – If you check my ‘Config.txt’ file you will see I have commented out my over clock settings. Those settings work great for me, however I do not want to be responsible for corrupting your SD card so please test your own over clock settings. I have not applied ‘Turbo’ mode though so will not invalidate your warranty (if that’s still a thing these days?).

Screen resolutions – I have a Samsung Smart TV and it can handle pretty much any resolution I throw at it. Your TV may be different, so if you get no image when stating a game you may want to use a different resolution via the RetroPie launch script.

So as to what I have actually done in my build – nothing revolutionary, more of a time-saver for you really, but here is a list off the top of my head of ‘non-standard’ things I have done to this setup:

Created dual boot between OpenELEC and RetroPie, with a script in RetroPie to launch KODI and an Add-on in KODI to launch RetroPie.
Created a boot video which transitions smoothly into the ES logo
Hidden all boot text, Pi splash screen, Pi logo
Hidden all RetroPie text so when selecting or exiting a game no text is displayed
Merged AdvMAME and MAME4ALL / lr-MAME4ALL under 1 system menu and assigned the best emulator for each rom (this means no static noise in Donkey Kong, better sound quality in System 16 games [aside from Altered Beast which doesn’t work properly in AdvMame], and the MK2 / 3 roms play in Lr-MAME and I have set the config to boost the volume to normal levels)
Assigned the correct emulator for every FBA rom, so every one works properly in the best emulator (PiFBA or lr-FBA)
Created KODI system / theme
Tweaked video resolutions and ratios on all systems (and individual games where needed), to get maximum screen size possible. *some people may not like this, but I prefer to have a full screen stretched image when running on my 16:9 TV, rather than huge black borders
Installed various extra systems, through the RetroPie setup script and otherwise (e.g. OpenBOR)
Amended all themes to add in frontend sounds and also so only a (large) screenshot is shown per game. Also added screenshots for every rom (in my collection), and re-sized all to 640×480 or less so no lag when scrolling through games
Created new system backgrounds for every system and hidden the Emulation Station help text for a cleaner look
Removed /etc/network/interfaces file due to it creating a start-up lag (in my experience)

That’s all I can think of from the top of my head. Like I say, nothing revolutionary, but all in all it has taken me around 7 months to get to the point where I can say I am happy with the full setup. It is more time consuming than anything. An understanding of Linux helps too (which I now have, but am no-where near skilled in it yet!).

button naming

Any questions or feedback just let me know.

Cheers.
Steve

Smithers

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:32 am

In regards to bringing up the ES menu to define the input - I use a keyboard / air mouse / remote combo and have mine setup to use the ‘power’ button on the remote to bring up the ES menu (or my joypad 'Start' button). That’s why it may look a little weird in the es_input.cfg file on my build! In hindsight I should have probably changed it back to standard before I uploaded but never mind. It’s an easy fix. Type the following into SSH:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg
Now amend the various 'Keyboard' buttons using the codes from the attached text file, save the file, restart emulation station and you should be good to go.
Pi Keyboard Input.zip
Raw K/B input codes
(4.53 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

Smithers

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:56 am

swe_toast wrote:OSMC + Retropie no dualboot .. much better
I couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. Any system that has its own dedicated partition is much more stable and safe than 2 different systems sharing the same partition. There is alot more that could go wrong when sharing one partition between 2 or more operating systems, plus OpenELEC is alot more stable than the Raspian installer version of KODI because it is built as its own operating system so has its own tweaks etc. for speed and stability. In fairness, I have never tried OSMC and maybe a RetroPie / OSMC dualboot would be nice, but OpenELEC does everything I need and is rock solid so I have no reason to explore with any other media centre(s). I also stand by the fact that any dual booting system will be much more stable for each system than having them all share one partition, I think there is no denying that fact. Also in the case of OpenELEC - I think dual booting is the only way to get it to run alongside RetroPie on the same SD card.

@Sweden38 - sorry I totally forgot to reply to your question r.e. PS3 gamepads. So I have 2 (genuine) PS3 gamepads which I bought for the sole purpose of RetroPie. I will tell you that they are excellent for their feel and the layout is great for retro games, genuinely couldn't fault them in that area (better than Xbox 360 pads imo). However, there are a couple of issues to beware of. see below:

Button layout - the buttons are numbered very strangely. Normally the first face button on a pad (e.g. the 'Square' button) would register as 'Button0' in an emulator / game. on the PS3 pads Button0 is the 'Select' button, and the 'Square' button is something like 'Button12' (cant remember exactly). Now you may think "why is that a problem?" - it is a problem because some emulators are hard-coded to use 'Button0' as the 'Fire' button, meaning you would have to use 'Select' on the pad to 'Fire' in a game! :? From memory I have had problems in ScummVM, Amiga (although there is a workaround now), Quake because of this issue.

Analog sticks - The analog sticks are great on the PS3 pad, however I think some tweaking needs to be done with the deadzone. if you issue a joystick test command on the Pi (cant remember the command, sorry), you will notice the analog is registering all the time. Certain emulators class this as an input when trying to set up controls which means you cant get the controls set up for the emulator. There must be a way around this, but I havent delved deep enough into it yet. It happens on both my PS3 pads so I would imagine it is a common issue.

Other than that you need to ensure you buy a Bluetooth 4.0 compatible dongle, anything less won't pick them up properly.

Hope this helps - they are a great pad, ideal for retro games, but some work is still needed to get them 100% in my opinion - unless I have just been really unlucky with my 2 pads?? :|

Smithers

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:19 am

Ok - here is an installer script I've made that when run will create 2 new scripts that will sit inside the RetroPie Menu screen in Emulation Station that will allow you to toggle command line access on and off (so you can use retropie setup script etc. but when finished you can turn off to allow clean emulator open and exit).

Download the following zip file: https://mega.co.nz/#!1Q4SwT6S!15xV1fHKK ... V8ie-YOYd0

Extract the contents and you should be left with a folder named "text_switcher". Copy the folder onto your Raspberry Pi via FTP (or using Linux, if you run it), into the /home/pi/ directory, so it should look like:

/home/pi/text_switcher/
Now log into the pi via SSH and type in the following exactly:

cd text_switcher/
sudo ./install.sh
It is very important that you are inside the 'text_switcher' directory when running the above install script, so do not run it from another directory as it will not work!

Your Pi will now reboot and you will notice 2 extra items in the RetroPie menu. Now because you have used my build, it is safe to install an update to my gamelist.xml file which will assign a proper name and picture for the 2 new items.

I would not advise doing this step if you have not used my build

To install the theme update, log back into SSH on your Pi and type the following:

cd text_switcher/
sudo ./theme_install.sh
Your Pi will now reboot again and you will notice the 2 new items have been renamed and they have a picture to go with them, keeping with the theme throughout.

It is now safe to delete the "text_switcher" folder in /home/pi/, but do not delete the /home/pi/backup/ folder! This is where the magic takes place! ;)

I have also attached the standard es-input.cfg file should you want to replace mine:
es_input.cfg.zip
(312 Bytes) Downloaded 224 times
Hope this helps people who were having difficulties in amending settings etc.

Cheers.
Steve

welshy

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:41 am

Smithers
Although there are already a few SD Card Images for Emulation etc. would you like me to add this to the Emulation Thread? Users are always requesting information on 'Out of the Box' solutions, I don't see why yours shouldnt be made available to the Community as another option if you so wish.

welshy
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Smithers

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:58 am

Hi Welshy.

Yes no problem, that would be great.

I am conscious however that I have removed a lot of the 'RetroPie' branding in my image and I believe in credit where it's due so feel I should add something back in if it were to be made available. I should also amend the image to revert to stock controls too and add in my command line toggle to prevent confusion.

I'm happy to do all the above and re-upload, if you think it's needed?

Cheers
Steve

welshy

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:48 pm

Smithers
Shouldn't be a problem, if you read the Thread I ALWAYS give Credit for others work! i.e. mentioning an Image is Built on RetroPie/Emulation Station and/or other, or the Retro Arch guys on which its based . Most of the Individuals or Teams responsible for these Images and/or individual Emulator Binaries have contacted me directly at some point (or me them), so its not as if you would be 'Stepping on Peoples Toes' or claiming Credit where not due. It may be worth 'Tidying Up' the Image as suggested if you wish to do so, if so, let me know when completed and I will then add your Image to the Thread. As I have often stated previously, the RPi Community is an excellent one where everyone, excluding a few 'Trolls' but thankfully they are few and far between, is involved and renders assistance where necessary, long may it continue!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Smithers

Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 am

I agree, the Raspberry Pi community is a great one! I have learned a lot about Linux since purchasing my first Model B Pi and it is all down to sites / forums / projects like this one and the community involved. It would have been tucked away into a drawer a long time ago otherwise! ;)

Ok then - I have been working on fixing a few things in my build (mainly removing my controller setups, adding the command line switcher and re-enabling all the retropie setup items [and creating an image for each to keep it uniform with the rest of the system!]).

I have packed it all up again into a 3.7GB .7z file and I am currently uploading to MEGA. It will take all night again as I have horrendous upload speeds, but once finished I will upload a new link on here and delete the old one.

I have added a 'readme.txt' file which gives instructions, notes, troubleshooting and credits so that should help eliminate potential issues (if you can be bothered to read through it all!). :)

I'll post again when finished.

Cheers.
Steve

Return to “Gaming”