super213

Would Assault Cube be possible?

Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:26 pm

would it be possible to get a client up and running i tried compiling it but i got errored and stopped for a while and though if it was possible! :D

A Replie Would be Verry Needed :D!
Last edited by super213 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Would Assault Cube be possible?

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:44 am

super213 wrote:would it be possible to get a client up and running i tried compiling it but i got errored and stopped for a while and though if it was possible! :D
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-7233.html

Plenty of information on Server but very few regarding Client
Raspberry Pi 3B running "Raspberry Pi Desktop powered by Raspbain"
Acer Aspire 5332 running "Raspberry Pi Desktop powered by Debain"
Huawei E5573 3/4G Mobile Internet & HP Envy 4500 WiFi Printer

super213

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:17 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
super213 wrote:would it be possible to get a client up and running i tried compiling it but i got errored and stopped for a while and though if it was possible! :D
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-7233.html

Plenty of information on Server but very few regarding Client
i installed it with sudo apt-get install assaultcube

but it seems to run at 2 -1 fps but if you install open arena with sudo apt-get install openarena it runs at the same framerate!

but when you run it through the pi store it runs(openarena) at 60 fps. can we do the same for assault cube?

i believe we need a some sort of game launcher!
that only boots the game up and the gpu/proccesor and ram only do one task play the game.

and then the games should run good. some other things is if this is the case we can run many more game's.
i belive the OS Raspbian is limiting the cpu usage!
(There is the Proof (I also use rpi2!))

Hiradur

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:40 am

It probably software rendered if it's so slow = the graphics are all calculated on the CPU.
The OpenArena port in the PiStore has been ported to OpenGL ES to make use of the Pi's GPU. Assault Cube would need to be ported as well to make use of the GPU.
You may be able to make it work with glshim though, a shim which translates OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES so the GPU is being used. It works well for many other games.
Last edited by Hiradur on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super213

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:17 am

Hiradur wrote:It probably software rendered if it's so slow = the graphics are all calculated on the GPU.
The OpenArena port in the PiStore has been ported to OpenGL ES to make use of the Pi's GPU. Assault Cube would need to be ported as well to make use of the GPU.
You may be able to make it work with glshim though, a shim which translates OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES so the GPU is being used. It works well for many other games.
I guess i can give it a shot i will report back!

super213

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:33 am

super213 wrote:
Hiradur wrote:It probably software rendered if it's so slow = the graphics are all calculated on the GPU.
I guess i can give it a shot i will report back!
i cant get glshim to work but look at this:
pi@raspberrypi ~/glshim $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pi/glshim/lib LIBGL_FB=1 assaultcube
Using home directory: /home/pi/.assaultcube_v1.104
current locale: en_GB.UTF-8
init: sdl
init: net
init: world
init: video: sdl
init: video: mode
init: video: misc
init: gl
Renderer: Software Rasterizer (Mesa Project)
Driver: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5
init: console
init: sound
Audio devices:
Sound: OpenAL Soft / OpenAL Soft (OpenAL Community)
Driver: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.14
init: cfg
init: models
init: docs
init: localconnect

it renders in sdl and mesa? what? if any one else can help me with glshim that would be nice the make part gives me errors!

super213

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:48 am

glshim not working

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sh glshim.sh assaultcube
Starting game assaultcube
Using home directory: /home/pi/.assaultcube_v1.104
current locale: en_GB.UTF-8
init: sdl
init: net
init: world
init: video: sdl
init: video: mode
libGL:loaded: libGLESv1_CM.so
libGL: built on Jul 23 2015 21:43:31
libGL: framebuffer output enabled
libGL:loaded: libEGL.so
init: video: misc
init: gl
Renderer: VideoCore IV HW (Broadcom)
Driver: 1.4 glshim wrapper
glXGetProcAddress: glMultiTexCoord3fARB not found.
init: console
init: sound
Audio devices:
Sound: OpenAL Soft / OpenAL Soft (OpenAL Community)
Driver: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.14
init: cfg
init: models
init: docs
init: localconnect
read map packages/maps/official/ac_snow.cgz rev 6 (75 milliseconds)
Mine City - By daMfr0
loaded textures (433 milliseconds)
loaded mapmodels (362 milliseconds)
loaded mapsounds (2751 milliseconds)
game mode is "TDM"
init: mainloop
Segmentation fault

Hiradur

Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Bummer. Have you tried to debug it with gdb to see where the segfault originates from?

At least Cube seems to be working with glshim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvscZ9fuu1o

super213

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Hiradur wrote:Bummer. Have you tried to debug it with gdb to see where the segfault originates from?

At least Cube seems to be working with glshim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvscZ9fuu1o
How do i Debug i got no clue what gdb is!

Hiradur

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:59 am

gdb is a debugger.

Basically you compile the software with debugging symbols (I think all software from the apt repositories is already compiled with debugging symbols) and then run it in gdb like this:

Code: Select all

gdb assaultcube
<gdb will load the symbols and then prompt you what to do>
(gdb) r           # r is short for "run"
Then you reproduce the segfault. Now you can find out in which section of the code it crashed by using

(gdb) bt           # bt is short for "backtrace"
This will give you a basic idea what the problem could be.

super213

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Hiradur wrote:gdb is a debugger.

Basically you compile the software with debugging symbols (I think all software from the apt repositories is already compiled with debugging symbols) and then run it in gdb like this:

gdb assaultcube
<gdb will load the symbols and then prompt you what to do>
(gdb) r           # r is short for "run"
Then you reproduce the segfault. Now you can find out in which section of the code it crashed by using

(gdb) bt           # bt is short for "backtrace"
This will give you a basic idea what the problem could be.
That wont work. assaultcube needs a script to start up

i tried it anyways but got this
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ gdb assaultcube
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.4.1-debian
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-gnueabihf".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
"/usr/games/assaultcube": not in executable format: File format not recognized
(gdb)

i cannot seem to find the executable. here is the start up script for ya

#!/bin/sh
for arg
do
if [ "$arg" = --help ]
then
exec man assaultcube
fi
done

AC_OPTIONS="--home=${HOME}/.assaultcube_v1.104 --init"
cd /usr/lib/games/assaultcube
exec ./ac_client ${AC_OPTIONS} ${1+"$@"}
# ${1+"$@"} is a portability hack, keyword "wrapper script"

Hiradur

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:55 am

Try

gdb --args /usr/lib/games/assaultcube/ac_client --home=${HOME}/.assaultcube_v1.104 --init
Now that I think about it, assaultcube may actually require libGLU. Perhaps you can get it to work with glues+glshim: https://github.com/lunixbochs/glues (I will add glues to my glshim script when I got time).

super213

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Hiradur wrote:Try

gdb --args /usr/lib/games/assaultcube/ac_client --home=${HOME}/.assaultcube_v1.104 --init
Now that I think about it, assaultcube may actually require libGLU. Perhaps you can get it to work with glues+glshim: https://github.com/lunixbochs/glues (I will add glues to my glshim script when I got time).
I just tried that. assaultcube has no debugging symbols

\\\\
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/games/assaultcube/ac_client...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
\\\\
HAHAHA LOL i just noticed you made that script. its fantastic and a time saver so thanks for the script. mean while i will try to get libGLU to work and if i find anything i will report it here.

How do i run stuff with it. i Compiled it. and still trying to figure out how to use it :lol: its not easy for me!

Edit:

i tried using this command

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pi/glues/lib LIBGL_FB=1 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pi/glshim/lib LIBGL_FB=1 assaultcube
and same thing happens i dont know if i did it wrong(yes i know im a scrub :3 )

Hiradur

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:26 am

Adding it to LD_LIBRARY_PATH is correct. However you are doing it wrong. You say
1. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=x
2. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=y
So y will overwrite x.
You have 3 options to do it correctly:
1. Put libGLU.so.1 in the same directory as libGL is so you only need one LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
2a) Use this to use multiple paths:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pi/glues/lib:/home/pi/glshim/lib LIBGL_FB=1 assaultcube
2b) or this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pi/glues/lib LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/home/pi/glshim/lib LIBGL_FB=1 assaultcube
You may also need to symlink libGLU.so to libGLU.so.1. It depends on what name assaultcube is looking for. You can find out by using

ldd /usr/lib/games/assaultcube/ac_client
@debug symbols: If it doesn't come with debug symbols you have to compile it yourself with debug symbols enabled. But I'd try it with libGLU first.

EDIT: I did a fresh install of latest Rapsbian (May, 2015) and I now get a segfault with glshim and bloboats (my test case for glshim). It worked fine with Raspbian (February, 2015). I don't know what's wrong yet.

super213

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Hiradur wrote:Adding it to LD_LIBRARY_PATH is correct. However you are doing it wrong. You say
1. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=x
2. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=y
So y will overwrite x.
You have 3 options to do it correctly:
1. Put libGLU.so.1 in the same directory as libGL is so you only need one LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
2a) Use this to use multiple paths:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pi/glues/lib:/home/pi/glshim/lib LIBGL_FB=1 assaultcube
2b) or this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pi/glues/lib LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/home/pi/glshim/lib LIBGL_FB=1 assaultcube
You may also need to symlink libGLU.so to libGLU.so.1. It depends on what name assaultcube is looking for. You can find out by using

ldd /usr/lib/games/assaultcube/ac_client
@debug symbols: If it doesn't come with debug symbols you have to compile it yourself with debug symbols enabled. But I'd try it with libGLU first.

EDIT: I did a fresh install of latest Rapsbian (May, 2015) and I now get a segfault with glshim and bloboats (my test case for glshim). It worked fine with Raspbian (February, 2015). I don't know what's wrong yet.
i took a look.
for some reason when i compile glues. it does not make a lib folder. but it did produce a lib file called:libGLU.so.1 its not a symlink. I did check what assaultcube needed this is what i think we should take a look at. i see assault cube does go in order from video to sound in the startup procces:
libSDL-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (0x76e62000)
libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 (0x76e3e000)
libz.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libz.so.1 (0x76e20000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGL.so.1 (0x76dc0000)
libopenal.so.1 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libopenal.so.1 (0x76d6c000)
libvorbisfile.so.3 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvorbisfile.so.3 (0x76d5c000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libX11.so.6 (0x76c48000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6 (0x76b76000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6 (0x76b05000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x76add000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 (0x769ad000)
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
i tried using both libs and still segfault. i dont have a x86 pc with me so i cant cross compile or what ever they call it. unless we can look at the software render it uses and get some ideas from there ..... but since i only have a rpi2 as my PC at the moment. compiling will be a tad difficult. i also noticed some libs being used like sdl_image and sdl does that mean sdl could do most of the work instead of opengl? Also i don't see anything for the Glues to come into play :cry:

Hiradur

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:11 pm

libGLU was a requirement before but apparently assaultcube removed it as a dependency recently.

You don't need an x86 PC to compile assault cube or anything else. The only reason why people here cross-compile is because it's much faster.

However, since I get a segfault with bloboats with latest Raspbian and glshim, too, the problem may actually be something else. Could you check if bloboats segfaults with glshim for you as well? Bloboats always worked perfectly with glshim which is why I use it to make sure glshim is working correctly and I'm surprised to see it doesn't work in latest Raspbian.

super213

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:57 am

Hiradur wrote:libGLU was a requirement before but apparently assaultcube removed it as a dependency recently.

You don't need an x86 PC to compile assault cube or anything else. The only reason why people here cross-compile is because it's much faster.

However, since I get a segfault with bloboats with latest Raspbian and glshim, too, the problem may actually be something else. Could you check if bloboats segfaults with glshim for you as well? Bloboats always worked perfectly with glshim which is why I use it to make sure glshim is working correctly and I'm surprised to see it doesn't work in latest Raspbian.
Bloboats working with me!

Hiradur

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm

In this case you probably have to compile Assaultcube yourself with debugging symbols for further investigation.

super213

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:15 am

Hiradur wrote:In this case you probably have to compile Assaultcube yourself with debugging symbols for further investigation.
Here comes Brain**** its going to take me a years lol but i will try as hard and i may not be able to do it :\

Hiradur

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Compiling code usually isn't difficult unless the code has been unmaintained for a long time or specifically designed for another platform. Good projects offer build instructions in a Readme or on their page.

super213

Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Hiradur wrote:Compiling code usually isn't difficult unless the code has been unmaintained for a long time or specifically designed for another platform. Good projects offer build instructions in a Readme or on their page.
im going to have to halt! i need a bigger micro sd card so also cannot fit assault cube on here :?

Hiradur

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:31 am

I updated my glshim script. It now pulls from the unstable branch which contains 150 new commits. You should give it another try with the updated script.
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=116416&p=792906#p792906

super213

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:25 pm

Hiradur wrote:I updated my glshim script. It now pulls from the unstable branch which contains 150 new commits. You should give it another try with the updated script.
the usual segfault still comes. is this even possible at this point?

Hiradur

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:54 pm

super213 wrote:
Hiradur wrote:I updated my glshim script. It now pulls from the unstable branch which contains 150 new commits. You should give it another try with the updated script.
It would still be possible. Another cause for the segfault could be a corrupted filesystem although I doubt it.

super213

Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:21 pm

Hiradur wrote:
super213 wrote:
It would still be possible. Another cause for the segfault could be a corrupted filesystem although I doubt it.
the filesystem for me is not corrupted... i think nothing out of the usual is happening!

do you think you can check the rendering part of assault cube its source. in the git there is a folder with the source i cant download it cause i have not enough space on my rpi. and i dont have a pc at the moment so ..... im doing this whole thing of my credit card :lol:

also i bet you its one function in the code that can be changed so easily XD. i just have that feeling :P

>Edit: Do you think fmod might have somthing to do. it seems like a audio thing but thats openAL's job right?

Return to “Gaming”