chernandezba

New version emulator ZEsarUX 3.0: , ZX-Uno

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:47 am

Hi

I have uploaded a new version of my Spectrum emulator, ZEsarUX 3.0.
Now you can run it on Windows and it have one more emulated machine: ZX-UNO!
This new machine will be added to the total of emulated machines:
-ZX Spectrum
-ZX-Uno
-ZX80
-ZX81
-Z88

Changelog is:

Added Windows version

Added ZX-Uno emulation

Added key shortcuts for menu entries

Added custom configuration files for snapshots and tapes

Added new simpletext video driver. Intended to work on any system

Added video out to file for Z88 machine

Added emulation of Diamond, Square keys on Z88 and Symbol shift on curses, caca, aa video drivers

Added new window footer. Old second overlay is deleted and all machine information is placed on footer

Added print character ROM traps for stdout & simpletext driver and Z88 machine

Fixed flags bug with opcodes INC RR, DEC RR. Now, for example, Hard Drivin' is displayed perfect

Fixed video out to file and border disabled Improved Spectrum border emulation. Now it's 100% accurate!

Improved debugger: key to view screen, better step to step method

Improved curses, stdout display on Z88

Some other minor bugfixes and improvements

You can download it, as always:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zesarux/

Cheers
Cesar

Higgy

Re: New version emulator ZEsarUX 3.0: Windows, ZX-Uno

Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Nice work Cesar.
I look forward to trying your new features!

dudleydes

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks for the latest update.

I have raised an issue below at the RetroPie Github for ZEsarUX to be included. I hope you're happy with this and the way I propose to integrate it into Retropie.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/903

scruss

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:44 pm

chernandezba wrote:
Any chance you could host it somewhere else, please? Sourceforge is now considered to be a malware site, and is blocked by firewalls and adblockers.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

chernandezba

Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:22 pm

dudleydes wrote:Thanks for the latest update.

I have raised an issue below at the RetroPie Github for ZEsarUX to be included. I hope you're happy with this and the way I propose to integrate it into Retropie.

Thanks! Yes, I'm happy with your issue :)
Some weeks ago a person from Retropie support told me to post the same kind of issue to have ZEsarUX in Retropie.. So, I had it pending to do.... Now you have done it, thanks again!
Cesar

chernandezba

Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:29 pm

scruss wrote:
chernandezba wrote:
Any chance you could host it somewhere else, please? Sourceforge is now considered to be a malware site, and is blocked by firewalls and adblockers.

I have talked about the same issue on another forum, on a Spanish one:
http://foro.caad.es/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5854&start=0

I don't see source forge as a malware site. SF is a big tool for me and have it using for more than 10 years. So I'm not moving the code to anywhere else (by now).
The folder of ZEsarUX 3.0 on SF have a MD5SUM file created by me to be sure that my files are not modified by anyone.

Cheers
Cesar

chernandezba

Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:49 pm

dudleydes wrote:Thanks for the latest update.

Only one comment.... On the issue you say:
pushd ZEsarUX-3.0
sed -i 's/JOYSTICK_CURSOR_WITH_SHIFT/JOYSTICK_KEMPSTON/g' joystick.c

I suppose you did that before I added the command line setting to change joystick type. So it's not necessary to do that, and even maybe in the future, if the code changes, that sed command could generate compilation errors...

Can you modify that?
Thanks a lot!
Cesar

scruss

Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:46 am

chernandezba wrote:I have talked about the same issue on another forum, on a Spanish one:
http://foro.caad.es/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5854&start=0

I don't see source forge as a malware site. SF is a big tool for me and have it using for more than 10 years. So I'm not moving the code to anywhere else (by now).
The folder of ZEsarUX 3.0 on SF have a MD5SUM file created by me to be sure that my files are not modified by anyone.
Yeah, but on the Spanish forum you basically say the same thing: that you don't see it as a problem. Other people do, though. For instance, this is what my browser gives me if I try to go to your download site:

‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

chernandezba

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:18 am

scruss wrote:
Yeah, but on the Spanish forum you basically say the same thing: that you don't see it as a problem. Other people do, though. For instance, this is what my browser gives me if I try to go to your download site:
Yes, I told the same thing.
You have ublock extension, so, it is not the web browser blocking sourceforge. It is the ublock extension. So you have the option to disable ublock or add an exception to it to allow access to sourceforge. There are a lots of threads on internet talking about the same thing (try google: "ublock sourceforge").

Anyway, I won't say anything more about sourceforge on this forum, because it is not the best place to talk about it.

Cheers
Cesar

dudleydes

Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:09 pm

chernandezba wrote:Only one comment.... On the issue you say:
pushd ZEsarUX-3.0
sed -i 's/JOYSTICK_CURSOR_WITH_SHIFT/JOYSTICK_KEMPSTON/g' joystick.c

I suppose you did that before I added the command line setting to change joystick type. So it's not necessary to do that, and even maybe in the future, if the code changes, that sed command could generate compilation errors...

Can you modify that?
Thanks a lot!
Cesar
I'll remove the sed command and add a line --joystickemulated Kempston in the .zesarux config file.

Is there any limit how many command line flags can be included in the config file? Also, could you confirm if there is a limit to how many --joystickkeybt flags are allowed?

chernandezba

Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:28 pm

dudleydes wrote:I'll remove the sed command and add a line --joystickemulated Kempston in the .zesarux config file.

Is there any limit how many command line flags can be included in the config file? Also, could you confirm if there is a limit to how many --joystickkeybt flags are allowed?
The configuration file is limited to 65534 bytes. If it's bigger, it will be read only those first 65534 bytes.
The maximum of --joystickkeybt parameters allowed is 8.

Cheers
Cesar

dudleydes

Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Thank you for your reply. Currently, the config file is around 400 bytes so I'm don't expect to have any issues with that.

I noticed that some games such as Chase HQ, Rainbow Islands and Head over Heels don't seem to load on my Pi1. There is some clicking sound for a minute or so and then nothing. I tried to load them on the desktop version (in my case, 64-bit Linux Mint) of ZEsarUX and I found that the load times for these games were several minutes, maybe too much for the Pi. To get these games working, I thought of creating z80 snapshots once the game had loaded on my desktop and using these on my Pi. When I get to the save snapshot option in the ZEsarUX menu, I can't seem to be able to enter a name for snapshot, ChaseHQ.z80 for example. I could create a copy of a z80 file in the snap_tests folder, rename it and then overwrite it in ZEsarUX. Is there a better way of doing this?

chernandezba

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 am

dudleydes wrote:Thank you for your reply. Currently, the config file is around 400 bytes so I'm don't expect to have any issues with that.

I noticed that some games such as Chase HQ, Rainbow Islands and Head over Heels don't seem to load on my Pi1. There is some clicking sound for a minute or so and then nothing. I tried to load them on the desktop version (in my case, 64-bit Linux Mint) of ZEsarUX and I found that the load times for these games were several minutes, maybe too much for the Pi.
This situation is already explained on the help for menu items: "Standard Tape" and "Input Real Tape". Standard tape is for games that use the rom loading routines, and the emulator loads the data very quickly. So if the game uses turbo loading, different border colours or some other strange loading method, you can't use Standard Tape.
Input Real Tape uses the same Spectrum loading routine, at the same speed. So this method works for any game but is slower.
All these three games I think I tested them in the past on my emulator and I think all three load well. but it's better if you find a TAP version of every game (not TZX). Anyway, Input Real Tape should work for any kind of tape, so, please try it.

To get these games working, I thought of creating z80 snapshots once the game had loaded on my desktop and using these on my Pi. When I get to the save snapshot option in the ZEsarUX menu, I can't seem to be able to enter a name for snapshot, ChaseHQ.z80 for example. I could create a copy of a z80 file in the snap_tests folder, rename it and then overwrite it in ZEsarUX. Is there a better way of doing this?
The fileselector window has three selectable sections:
-File
-Directory contents (by default)
-Filter

You can switch between them using key TAB. On section File you can write the name of your file and save it adding .z80 or .zx extension. .zx is the native file format for ZEsarUX and ZXSpectr emulator, but you can only load the snapshots on these two emulators. .z80 loads on almost every emulator but it loses some settings set on ZEsarUX

Cheers
Cesar

dudleydes

Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:46 pm

I use the --tape parameter to load tapes in RetroPie so I'm not sure how Standard Tape and Input Real Tape applies. I took your advice and sought TAP files from the World of Spectrum for the games I mentioned in my earlier post. Head over Heels works fine on the Pi but I'm not having much no luck with Chase HQ and Rainbow Islands, even on my desktop.
chernandezba wrote:You can switch between them using key TAB.
Thanks, it was the key TAB I was missing.

I have written a scriptmodule for RetroPie to install ZEsarUX so your great emu should be included soon. It may be worth taking a look over the script to make sure you're happy with it. I'd like to point out that the RetroPie dev suggested removing the lines below which I got from the INSTALL instructions.

Code: Select all

export CFLAGS=-O3 
    export LDFLAGS=-O3
I ran the scriptmodule without the above and ZEsarUX installed fine. In fact, the time to run the script was almost halved.

Higgy

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Sounds good that progress is being made to integrate this into Retropie.

A great way for this new emu to get a bigger audience.

chernandezba

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 am

Hi
dudleydes wrote:I use the --tape parameter to load tapes in RetroPie so I'm not sure how Standard Tape and Input Real Tape applies.
I have already explained a bit before. Real Tape loads the data the same way as a Spectrum does, at the same speed.
Standard Tape works only for games that use standard rom routines. --tape parameter means the same as "Standard Tape".
There is no "Real Tape" command line parameter. But you can always run the emulator with the tape file name (without --tape), and the emulator itself will try to guess if the tape is standard or real tape (it's the same as smartload on the menu).
For example:
./zesarux "Rainbow Islands.tap" --machine 128k

That guessing works better when it is a turbo tape (so it will be inserted as a real tape). In case of a normal speed loading tape but not rom standard (for example different border colours) it will be probably detected (wrongly) as a standard tape.

I took your advice and sought TAP files from the World of Spectrum for the games I mentioned in my earlier post. Head over Heels works fine on the Pi but I'm not having much no luck with Chase HQ and Rainbow Islands, even on my desktop.
I tried those games, some tape files:
ChaseH.Q.128.tap.zip works perfect, remember to set 128k machine (--machine 128k)
ChaseH.Q..tzx.zip and ChaseH.Q.(TheHitSquad).tzx.zip works perfect if you load them as a real tape
RainbowIslands.tap.zip works perfect, remember to set 128k machine (--machine 128k)
RainbowIslands.tzx.zip works perfect if you load it as a real tape
chernandezba wrote:You can switch between them using key TAB.
Thanks, it was the key TAB I was missing.

I have written a scriptmodule for RetroPie to install ZEsarUX so your great emu should be included soon. It may be worth taking a look over the script to make sure you're happy with it. I'd like to point out that the RetroPie dev suggested removing the lines below which I got from the INSTALL instructions.

Code: Select all

export CFLAGS=-O3 
    export LDFLAGS=-O3
I ran the scriptmodule without the above and ZEsarUX installed fine. In fact, the time to run the script was almost halved.
Well, the best way to compile ZEsarUX on Raspberry Pi is using
export CFLAGS=-O3
export LDFLAGS=-O3

before configure. Why? Because it tells the gcc compiler to optimize the code, so it will run faster. For example, on my RPI1, the emulator becomes almost unplayable without those optimizations.
A person from retropie said:
"
probably due to the lower optimisation level - it may be slightly faster with -O3 (or not), but we default our optimisations flags to -O2 they can be overridden though as needed. I'm sure the emulator runs at full speed anyway though.
"

Well, O3 is better than O2. As the gcc manual says:

"
-O3

Optimize yet more. -O3 turns on all optimizations specified by -O2 and also turns on the -finline-functions, -funswitch-loops, -fpredictive-commoning, -fgcse-after-reload, -ftree-vectorize and -fipa-cp-clone options.
"

I have tested the emulator on my rpi1 (not on a rpi2 or higher), and using O3 works well, but without using any O*, it becomes almost unplayable. I haven't tested it with O2, but it will be probably slower than O3.
So, try to use O3 optimization on the build script. I will also try to post to https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/903 to make pressure to the Retropie people to use O3.
I don't have retropie but maybe I will try to install it and test your ZEsarUX build script ;)
Thanks
Cesar
Last edited by chernandezba on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

chernandezba

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:36 am

dudleydes wrote:I ran the scriptmodule without the above and ZEsarUX installed fine. In fact, the time to run the script was almost halved.
Of course. It lasts a lot more to compile with optimizations than without using them.
But I don't care if it last to compile even half an hour. The generated code will run faster :)

cpcbegin

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:11 am

I can't download ZEsauUX, it shows 404 error. :(
Trucos y recetas para raspberry pi:
http://malagaoriginal.blogspot.com.es/search/label/raspberry%20pi

dudleydes

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:40 pm

chernandezba wrote: I tried those games, some tape files:
ChaseH.Q.128.tap.zip works perfect, remember to set 128k machine (--machine 128k)
ChaseH.Q..tzx.zip and ChaseH.Q.(TheHitSquad).tzx.zip works perfect if you load them as a real tape
RainbowIslands.tap.zip works perfect, remember to set 128k machine (--machine 128k)
RainbowIslands.tzx.zip works perfect if you load it as a real tape
Thanks for the advice regarding the 128k machine - works great. I'm still not having any luck getting the tzx files to load. It may be that I am too impatient! I'm wondering if you could take a look at one more game - The Trap Door. It works only on the 48K machine. I would be grateful if you could let me know precisely what command you used and how long the load time was. Thanks.

The scriptmodule for ZEsarUX is now included in the release candidate for RetroPie 3.0. I have tested it on the RPi 1 and 2 and everything is working as expected. While testing, I found that, on the RPi 1 with overclocking set to medium, Rainbow Islands ran better in terms of speed and music when compiled with the -O2 flag rather than the -O3 flag. I would be interested if you see similar results.

I will be looking to close the issue at the RetroPie github page in the next few days unless you have anything you would like to add.

dudleydes

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:00 am

Hi Cesar

I am having trouble mapping the space bar to a game controller button. I have used the following parameters on the command line with no luck:
  • --joystickkeybt 15 32
    --joystickkeybt 15 \'spacebar\'
    --joystickkeybt 15 \'space\'
I would be grateful if you could clear this up. Thanks.

Edit: I have managed to get the parameter --joystickkeybt 15 32 working in R-Type. but not in Chase H.Q. (pressing the spacebar works though). Please leave for now while I look into it further.

Higgy

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Hello Cesar,

I've been having a play with v3.0 I've got my config all setup and have been playing around with some games and your included files. :P

Some observations.

I am using a USB Competition Pro, I have setup a button as 'Enter' but everytime I press just this one button the screen dims and 'Key: #' is shown. If I turn off Show Splash texts it goes away, but it does not seem right that it appears. Pressing 'Enter' on USB keyboard does not produce message.

I moved my card set-up over to my RPi 2. I have turned Frameskip to 0 and it stays on 50 fps. But there are problems with the sound. Lots of clicking (3 clicks then pause and repeat) and it seems to get out of sync but then sorts its self out. FPS is still 50 fps but sounds like audio is struggling. I am using ALSA (only option on RPi?)

@dudleydes - how is sound for you?

You asked previously and I did not reply:

What model of raspberry pi you have? Does it run well with frameskip 0 with some games? Try, for example, the demo at tapes/spectrum/rainbow/over128.z80 folder inside the emulator (and with setting --nochangeslowparameters).

On RPi 2 this seems fine graphics wise, but again sounds gets a bit out sometimes.

I am moving my games over to .TAP and your emulator seems to be running it all 8-)

You are so close, if you can sort out the sound issue then we have the definitive Speccy emulator on RPi :ugeek: :D

Thanks

chernandezba

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:19 am

dudleydes wrote:Hi Cesar

I am having trouble mapping the space bar to a game controller button. I have used the following parameters on the command line with no luck:
  • --joystickkeybt 15 32
    --joystickkeybt 15 \'spacebar\'
    --joystickkeybt 15 \'space\'
I would be grateful if you could clear this up. Thanks.

Edit: I have managed to get the parameter --joystickkeybt 15 32 working in R-Type. but not in Chase H.Q. (pressing the spacebar works though). Please leave for now while I look into it further.
Yes, the way to do it is using ascii char 32:
--joystickkeybt 15 32

It's better to test it first on Basic, to see if it shows a space when pressing the button, and if it works, the game should work also.

Cheers
Cesar

chernandezba

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:24 am

dudleydes wrote:Thanks for the advice regarding the 128k machine - works great. I'm still not having any luck getting the tzx files to load. It may be that I am too impatient! I'm wondering if you could take a look at one more game - The Trap Door. It works only on the 48K machine. I would be grateful if you could let me know precisely what command you used and how long the load time was. Thanks.
It's normal. Some games, specially old ones, only work on Spectrum 48k. You have to think that Spectrum 128k, +2. etc came after Spectrum 48k, and they don't work exactly as a 48k (even setting 48k mode on Spectrum menu)

The scriptmodule for ZEsarUX is now included in the release candidate for RetroPie 3.0. I have tested it on the RPi 1 and 2 and everything is working as expected. While testing, I found that, on the RPi 1 with overclocking set to medium, Rainbow Islands ran better in terms of speed and music when compiled with the -O2 flag rather than the -O3 flag. I would be interested if you see similar results.

I will be looking to close the issue at the RetroPie github page in the next few days unless you have anything you would like to add.
Thanks. I will try to test O2 and O3 today or tomorrow

Cheers
Cesar

chernandezba

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 am

Higgy wrote:Hello Cesar,

I've been having a play with v3.0 I've got my config all setup and have been playing around with some games and your included files. :P

Some observations.

I am using a USB Competition Pro, I have setup a button as 'Enter' but everytime I press just this one button the screen dims and 'Key: #' is shown. If I turn off Show Splash texts it goes away, but it does not seem right that it appears. Pressing 'Enter' on USB keyboard does not produce message.
There are two "strange" events on joystick emulation:
NumSelect: selects a digit (0123456789) or a space.
NumAction: send the selected digit or space to the Spectrum
These two functions make possible to send numeric keys to some games without keyboard (think on a game menu, for example:
1 Select sinclair
2 Select kempston
0 Play

So you can set those menu options only using joystick.
NumSelect is set to button 2 and NumAction is set to button 1 by default
It seems that button 2 is the same button as you set for 'Enter'. Enter menu Real joystick emulation -> Joystick to events->Button for NumSelect and change it (or change it by command line:
--joystickkeyev evt key

)
You may set "key" to a non existent button (for example 99) to disable that event

I moved my card set-up over to my RPi 2. I have turned Frameskip to 0 and it stays on 50 fps. But there are problems with the sound. Lots of clicking (3 clicks then pause and repeat) and it seems to get out of sync but then sorts its self out. FPS is still 50 fps but sounds like audio is struggling. I am using ALSA (only option on RPi?)
I have still a lot to fight with sound on rpi :( I tested a lot of parameters on alsa but I still haven't found what I'm looking for (sorry U2 for the joke). Anyway, sound on pc, mac or even Windows is perfect, but alsa sound on rpi seems to be very "special"... It's on the TODO list.
Anyway, look first at cpu usage on rpi, so maybe your cpu is stressed.. Try lowering FPS (by increasing frameskip)

@dudleydes - how is sound for you?
It's not perfect sound for me. Some random clicks and delay about 0.5 seconds

You asked previously and I did not reply:

What model of raspberry pi you have? Does it run well with frameskip 0 with some games? Try, for example, the demo at tapes/spectrum/rainbow/over128.z80 folder inside the emulator (and with setting --nochangeslowparameters).

On RPi 2 this seems fine graphics wise, but again sounds gets a bit out sometimes.

I am moving my games over to .TAP and your emulator seems to be running it all 8-)
Next Version 3.1 will have better tape detection. So if a tape can't be played as a standard tape, it will set it to real tape

You are so close, if you can sort out the sound issue then we have the definitive Speccy emulator on RPi :ugeek: :D

Thanks
Thanks
Cesar

Higgy

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 am

Hi,

Ah! :

So you can set those menu options only using joystick.
NumSelect is set to button 2 and NumAction is set to button 1 by default
It seems that button 2 is the same button as you set for 'Enter'. Enter menu Real joystick emulation -> Joystick to events->Button for NumSelect and change it (or change it by command line:
--joystickkeyev evt key

Yes sorry, I can remember now, I had 2 buttons with the same function :oops: Problem working on it late at night :lol:

And thanks for the explanation of NumSelect & NumAction. Would be very useful when using a PS3 or XBOX360 pad that has more buttons.

I have ordered a USB soundcard, so will test when it arrives and report.
It is great to have an active developer, so many times things get left when they are not quite finished. Fingers crossed for you fixing the sound issues. :ugeek: ;) I would not have a clue if other Speccy emulator developers (Fuse, Unreal & FBZX) can help? or it is purely a programming issue not related to emulation code.

Thanks

Return to “Gaming”