CartooN

A newbie looking to turn my Pi into an Emulator

Wed May 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Hello! My first post here!

I got a raspberry Pi 2 pretty recently, I was originally going to turn it into a media centre but now I've decided I'd like to turn it into an emulator.

I love the NES and SNES era of gaming. I still have all my original consoles and games, but I'm quite protective over them and I'd like something more portable that I can easily set up at a friends house and that sort of thing.

So I have two questions really:

Firstly, which is the best emulator to use with Raspberry Pi 2? Something that I can easily set up that doesn't require too much fuss :P.

And secondly, I have some retro USB controllers that I used to play games like Shovel Knight on PC. (This one) Will two of these work with the Pi? Will I need an externally powered USB adaptor to use them or will they work fine on the default ones?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

tankie

Re: A newbie looking to turn my Pi into an Emulator

Thu May 21, 2015 6:44 am

hi!

just install retropie 3.0 beta 2... it has emulationstation (http://emulationstation.org/) as the frontend and has a great selection of emulators.
http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/r ... downloads/

also you can always install kodi very easy with the help of

Code: Select all

sudo ./home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh
there is also something called "happi game center" which is mostly in francais and has limelight and kodi preinstalled. emulationstation is used.

another emulationstation-raspberry pi-distribution (also from france) would be recalbox with kodi pre-installed as well. but hasn't been updated for a while. could still work great for you!

also ignition.io, which is in closed beta right now, but will sooner or later also have kodi pre-installed. it has many new social features. just look at the video at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... escription

but beware: there is a bug with kodi 14 and below, where closing it after playing a video will leave you with a black screen.
you can install kodi 15 beta 1 (see viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109088) where this bug is fixed. but it's beta, so you may experience other problems. i didn't try it yet.

Forrrge

Thu May 21, 2015 5:24 pm

There is also this one that has been appearing on a few news sites recently

http://www.lakka.tv/

welshy

Fri May 22, 2015 5:59 am

CartooN
Welcome to the Forum! Check the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi&Pi2 Thread, it contains further detail on Emulation, What Hardware can be Emulated (so far), Emulation Solutions; Repo's, Pi Store, SD Card Images, Binaries, Instruction to Compile your own from Source Code, basically all the information you should require!

Link - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54357
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

CartooN

Fri May 22, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks for the advice all.

What do you think about the Pi running the controllers? Ive heard that certain USB devices require and external power source with the pi. Is that right?

LittleJoe

Fri May 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Ive heard that certain USB devices require and external power source with the pi. Is that right?
Not any controller I've used so far. (I don't think any controller would draw that much current.)

welshy

Sat May 23, 2015 5:06 am

CartooN wrote:Thanks for the advice all.

What do you think about the Pi running the controllers? Ive heard that certain USB devices require and external power source with the pi. Is that right?
Early versions of the RPi did suffer from the USB's on the Board not being Fully Rated, however, only 'Heavy Hitters' that being devices that draw a lot of current could cause problems i.e 'Popping' the Poly Fuse (e.g. USB Powered Hard Drives etc). Since the RPi1 B+ these have been replaced with Fully Rated USB's. I haven't heard of a USB Controller having an Issue and I seem to recall the Device you linked to (SNES Type Pad) has previously been used on an RPi Set Up.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Return to “Gaming”