Chips

Re: Uae4arm: Amiga emulator with JIT and DispmanX

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:49 pm

HoraceAndTheSpider wrote:i comiled the latest source and suddenly DOS commands on my boot HD folder are coming up as 'not executable'
Now it looks like access right in linux affect amiga side. If your binary hasn't the execute flag in linux you can't execute it in amiga.

HoraceAndTheSpider

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 pm

Chips wrote:
HoraceAndTheSpider wrote:i comiled the latest source and suddenly DOS commands on my boot HD folder are coming up as 'not executable'
Now it looks like access right in linux affect amiga side. If your binary hasn't the execute flag in linux you can't execute it in amiga.
oh... i guess at least i can test to see if that fixes it!! So thankyou for that.

is this planned to be fixed? I know fs-uae used '.uaem' files to get around this (and resolve issues with differences across systems).... but i have a concern it might affect quite a lot of transferred amiga files for those of us using HD-folders? Obviously i have no issues with the files on any other emulators (or previous uae4arm)

HoraceAndTheSpider

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi Chips,

I've been looking into the controls thing more, and lots of issues here i'm afraid to say... but i guess this is all still work in progress? Some of this might need resolving further 'upstream' ... i dont know, i just hope it helps.

I am using a PS3 pad on uae4arm. In all examples i am setting 'port 1' as the most common option.

- with 'dpad as joy' or 'dpad as cd32' , i get no results.... no fire / no movement.

- if i select 'sony ps3 controller' ....

-- Analogue only works as directional controls (nothing on the d-pad)

-- I cannot set joystick or cd32 options for the PS3 pad without using 'custom' setting.

-- using custom setting, i am missing the option of adding anything to the PS3 start/select buttons. This creates an issue for CD32 pad mapping, as it is lacking a input button (i.e. having only 6 to choose, where my controller has 9 available and the CD32 has 7 to map)

-- the cd32 options , when set on 'custom' do not appear to work, no response on testing so far.

-- there is no 'cd32 red' 'cd32 blue' or 'cd32 play' available in the custom drop downs.... please note that red/joy fire 1 and blue/joy fire 2 are *not* the same input. Although they often operate the same, the code to read the (amiga side) differs, and this does cause 'fire' not to work in some games where 'red' does.
(there is common CD32 WHDLoad asm reading code that has this difference)

If it helps, i have a small program for testing cd32 inputs:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4272 ... 0xhRVJ2bXc

This was needed for resolving similar issues on PSPUAE development, some years ago.

I confess the 0.4 input system wasnt too bad, i could probably have coped with just adding the CD32 buttons to the custom list, and the addition of the extra host inputs being mapped!

Any progress getting these fixed, very much appreciated.

Chips

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:44 am

HoraceAndTheSpider wrote: is this planned to be fixed?
I was thinking to look at an option in menu to activate or deactivate this... as ever when i will have time :p
HoraceAndTheSpider wrote:Hi Chips,
I am using a PS3 pad on uae4arm. In all examples i am setting 'port 1' as the most common option.
PS3 controller support on linux is broken (or is the the linux driver ?) and the workaround i made in old version disappears in git due to heavy changes in code. I am looking at how to reintegrate it...

HoraceAndTheSpider

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:54 am

That's great - reassuring to know you are on it!!

I think similar issues are there with the "compatibility" like mode on Xbox controllers too, (according to others in the FB group) so I'm not sure it's 100% just a missing ps3 control thing.

Happy to test/trial etc anything you need in this. Seems the new code for inputs has nice ideas but needs tweeking sadly.

a7mag3ddon

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi guys, are you aware that joysticks are not being loaded from .uae config files automatically when loading without GUI?

Was / Is working on V 0.4 but not on V 0.5.

Thanks for making this the best Amiga emu going :-)

Chips

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:02 pm

I pushed the same kind of workaround for the six axis in github that I made in older uae4arm version... note that it should only helps for 2 button games, not for CD32...

Just push modification so that every file in a hdd directory has now read & execute attribute...
a7mag3ddon wrote:Hi guys, are you aware that joysticks are not being loaded from .uae config files automatically when loading without GUI?
As I indicated in github, as soon as the configuration has one joystick in port 1 it works well on rapsbian with latest source code compiled... so try latest source code or give more details.

Ariath

Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:23 am

Hi all!

I'm testing UAE4ARM in my new RPi 3 and i have noticed something strange.
I'm using the DietPi distro, and have a wireless keyboard and mouse.

The emulator seems to hang if i try to exit using the keyboard (more exactly, if i use the keyboard arrows to navigate though the GUI buttons, when i reach the Quit button, the emulator seems to freeze).

I did then Ctrl-Alt-F4 to open another terminal and executed htop: The uae4arm processs was using the 99% of the CPU.
If i move the mouse over the Quit button nothing strange happens, only using the keyboard.

I know this isn't a great problem, but i wanted to report it anyways :) .

See ya!

P.D: I have experienced another problem, and this one is a bit... annoying:

1) Run the emulator.
2) Select a config and start the emulation.
3) Press F12 to return to the menu.
3) Resume the emulation.

The emulation resumes fine, but, there are chunks of the gui on the screen :S.

sugarpoo

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:46 am

I have 2 old WICO amiga joysticks and a gameport to usb converter.
I havent been able to get them to work in older versions of uae4arm..
Seems like the fire button and 1 direction is responding but otherwise just dead in the water..
Will the new deadzone fix take care of this or is there something else i can do to make them work?

pawelkrak

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:17 pm

Hello @Chips

I checked latest UAE4ARM and:

Amiga reset via : LAMIGA RAMIGA + CTRL not working. When entry in GUI then RIGHT CONTROL reset Amiga and ESC key. When Amiga run is impossible to reset Amiga from keyboard ( PC keyboard or Amiga 1200 keyboard via Keyrah V2)

Can You check it or where I can find solution to fix it ? I checked sources but is different from other old sources. Regards Paul

Chips

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:38 pm

sugarpoo wrote:Seems like the fire button and 1 direction is responding but otherwise just dead in the water..
Will the new deadzone fix take care of this or is there something else i can do to make them work?
Save a configuration, then edit it.
You should find following string:
input.joystick_deadzone=33
From my understanding, it's in percentage, so try with lower value (save the edited conf and reload it) and tell my if it change something.
pawelkrak wrote: When Amiga run is impossible to reset Amiga from keyboard ( PC keyboard or Amiga 1200 keyboard via Keyrah V2)
Works well here on PC kayboard. Be sure to have the modification I made in 5 august:
https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi ... 2e8d750e95

pawelkrak

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:52 pm

hmm

in your source from github in pandoragui.cpp is:

if(keystate[SDLK_LCTRL] && keystate[SDLK_LSUPER] && (keystate[SDLK_RSUPER] ||keystate[SDLK_MENU]))
uae_reset(0, 1);

in your commit for pandoragui.cpp is:

if(keystate[SDLK_LCTRL] && keystate[SDLK_LSUPER] && (keystate[SDLK_RSUPER] ||keystate[SDLK_MENU]))
+ uae_reset(0);

so when start compiling source then compiler report error uae_reset(int, int);

Chips

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:01 pm

If you already have thoses two line, then it should be ok. Otherwise take the version that compile for you.
But why not taking the full latest version in github instead of one modification only ?

pawelkrak

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Chips wrote:Then take the other version.
But why not taking the full latest version in github instead of one modification only ?
I taked and compiled but keys still doesnt work. Only right CTRL with PC Keyboard working and only in gui.

MiDWaN

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi all,

I've forked this project in order to fix some bugs, add a few new features I wanted and try to improve it.
https://github.com/midwan/uae4arm-rpi

Currently, some of the things I've changed are:
[*]New target platform: Pi 3
[*]Optimizations for Pi 3 added
[*]Pi 3 is now the default target if no Platform is specified
[*]Added support for custom functions assignable to keyboard LEDs (e.g. HD activity)
[*]Code formatting and cleanup
[*]FullHD (1080p) resolution supported in Picasso96 mode.
[*]Pi Zero / Pi 1 version now has full Picasso96 support.
[*]Removed Pandora specific keyboard shortcuts which caused crashes
[*]Loading the Configuration file now respects the input settings
[*]Fixed bugs and crashes in GUI keyboard navigation

There is a pull request waiting for almost a month now, but unfortunately I haven't heard anything from Chips about it. Perhaps he's busy of course. :)

The next logical step is to move it to SDL2. I've already started working on that on a separate branch:
https://github.com/midwan/uae4arm-rpi/tree/sdl2

The SDL2 stuff is not finished yet, so it will compile but not work yet. And that's the part I would like to ask about.

From what I checked and tested, the "official" SDL2 package for Raspbian does not use DispmanX as the backend. It seems to need an X11 environment in order to create a Window, which is obviously not ideal for the Pi. I saw some customized SDL2 ports on Github that were created to include DispmanX as the backend, but I didn't try those yet.

So the question is, if we want to use SDL2 with hardware acceleration from the console, which package should we use? Compile a custom version and include that in our projects, or is there something I've missed?

pawelkrak

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

MiDWaN wrote:Hi all,

I've forked this project in order to fix some bugs, add a few new features I wanted and try to improve it.

[*]Added support for custom functions assignable to keyboard LEDs (e.g. HD activity)

There is a pull request waiting for almost a month now, but unfortunately I haven't heard anything from Chips about it. Perhaps he's busy of course. :)

The next logical step is to move it to SDL2. I've already started working on that on a separate branch:

The SDL2 stuff is not finished yet, so it will compile but not work yet. And that's the part I would like to ask about.

From what I checked and tested, the "official" SDL2 package for Raspbian does not use DispmanX as the backend. It seems to need an X11 environment in order to create a Window, which is obviously not ideal for the Pi. I saw some customized SDL2 ports on Github that were created to include DispmanX as the backend, but I didn't try those yet.

So the question is, if we want to use SDL2 with hardware acceleration from the console, which package should we use? Compile a custom version and include that in our projects, or is there something I've missed?
Thanks M8. Looks awesome. I will try when back to home. Keyboard assign ok ?LAMIGA RAMIGA + CTRL ( magic reset ;) )

MiDWaN

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:39 pm

To answer my own question:

At least currently, it seems that we have to compile SDL2 from source in order to define our options (such as --disable-x11) and get it working outside of X11. I just tested this approach and it seems to work, so I can continue with it. :)

A sample tutorial on how to set it up can also be found here, in case anyone is wondering: https://solarianprogrammer.com/2015/01/ ... ted-sdl-2/

n0rt0nthec4t

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:42 am

Glad to see my LED code got a commit somewhere :-)

HoraceAndTheSpider

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:53 am

Just to follow up on my previous posts about CD32 controls.

FOL has highlighted the same concerns, but they are probably beat directed here for TomB, Chips and now MiDWaN :)

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=111 ... tcount=312

MiDWaN

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:58 am

I'm currently busy moving the codebase to SDL2, which among other things has much better support for game controllers.
I will look into the CD32 controller stuff right after I'm done with this stage, but if you wouldn't mind could you please open an issue on Github about it (https://github.com/midwan/uae4arm-rpi/issues), so we can keep track of all the details? It's a bit hard to dig them out of a multi-page thread on a forum... ;)

MiDWaN

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:07 am

n0rt0nthec4t wrote:Glad to see my LED code got a commit somewhere :-)

Yes, thanks for that work! :)

There is a mysterious problem around it currently, it seems that if you run as root or under sudo, the calls to ioctl() do not alter the LEDs for some reason. If you run it as a normal user, it works. We've been doing tests and trying several different scenarios with the author of DietPi to find out why, but until now we haven't managed to find out - you're welcome to join the discussion at https://github.com/midwan/uae4arm-rpi/issues/3 if you want.

n0rt0nthec4t

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:11 am

MiDWaN wrote:
n0rt0nthec4t wrote:Glad to see my LED code got a commit somewhere :-)

Yes, thanks for that work! :)

There is a mysterious problem around it currently, it seems that if you run as root or under sudo, the calls to ioctl() do not alter the LEDs for some reason. If you run it as a normal user, it works. We've been doing tests and trying several different scenarios with the author of DietPi to find out why, but until now we haven't managed to find out - you're welcome to join the discussion at https://github.com/midwan/uae4arm-rpi/issues/3 if you want.
I'll check it out. I have some code changes to refine things even for if you're interested. Includes a better way to make the caps lock key behave and simpler LED code

MiDWaN

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:29 am

Any contribution is more than welcome. :)

Higgy

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:04 am

Great work @MiDWaN. We just need to made sure we don't have numerous fragmented versions of UAE4ARM and that the latest TomB versions from Pandora are rolled into UAE4ARM for RPI.

I hope everyone that has been working on porting the original code to RPI is happy to ensure the community has the best possible version.

Forum members @exobuzz & @Vanfanel seem to have SDL2 knowledge, they might be able to help you with your question? I can't code so I am not much help :shock:

MiDWaN

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:14 am

I monitor TomB's work to make sure that any improvements he introduces are merged in (at least when it makes sense - Pandora specific stuff may not).

Regarding my question, I believe I already answered in above. I was mostly wondering if others have the same approach or if there's another way. But it's not a blocking problem for me, as I've compiled SDL2 from source with the options we needed and can continue working...

Return to “Gaming”