retrofan011

Re: Uae4arm: Amiga emulator with JIT and DispmanX

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:39 pm

It seems so, I just dont understand, how Chips started Starstruck demo, which requires a minimum of 64MB of Z3 fast memory.
I can do that only with previous version, which have working Z3 memory.
windale wrote:@haemogoblin

The version posted at the beginning of this thread is an older version. There have been several changes since and that's why you don't have things like 68030. I think the latest version is v1.02. You need to rebuild from 'Source' (Github). Seems like you are comparing things on an older version with our fully updated one.

Post by Haemogoblin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:22 am

Hi

Just wanted to point out that as far as I'm aware, this thread is covering Chips version of UAE4ARM found here:

https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi

If you dont have this installed and your running different version, its going to make it difficult to compare. For example, my install has 020 and 040 as the highest available processors I can choose, the 030 is not listed.

windale

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:52 pm

@retrofan011

If you look at Chips post details (page 3), he said he tested the Starstruck demo with v0.4 on the 12th September. The emulator has since been updated to v1.0.0.2 which contain these new bugs.
Last edited by windale on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retrofan011

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Yes, you're right, I didnt pay attention to this.
Now, all doubts are clarified, we just have to be patient and wait for the new version, which will correct these bugs.

Haemogoblin

Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:50 pm

retrofan011 wrote:Yes, you're right, I didnt pay attention to this.
Now, all doubts are clarified, we just have to be patient and wait for the new version, which will correct these bugs.
If you go to this page,

The last version Chips uploaded was 0.4, so I dont know how I am running an old version, when 0.4 is the last one available. Unless I've missed an update some place and Chips has released a new version on another thread? The only version newer then this that I was able to find was for the Pandora. Which again, is not what this thread is covering. As this thread covers the version found at the link above.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

windale

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:18 pm

The version posted on the first page is for manual install. Chips hasn't updated it since v0.4. He has been adding the updates to the Github and is the same version as the Pandora (currently v1.0.0.2). You can read the updates that he's made on the Github page.

Retropie, that Retrofan011 and I use can update it directly from Github. I'm not sure how you manually compile from his source updates.

noobberrypi

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:32 am

Quick Raspberry Pi 1 + UAE4ARM update:

UAE4ARM has been running really well.

For the few games where there are audio cutting out issues, selecting Frame Skip seems to solve them, with no noticeable visual difference on most games tested. (Maybe someone could chime in on how the frame skip works)

Setting a horizontal resolution of 320 also seems to help avoid having audio issues, while smoothing the graphics.

Overclocking the Pi to the maximum possible has helped performance too.

I don't use the JIT option on games, with the exception of IK+ where it is required to make the SFX work, no need for frame skip either.

windale

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:40 am

@noobberrypi
For the few games where there are audio cutting out issues, selecting Frame Skip seems to solve them, with no noticeable visual difference on most games tested. (Maybe someone could chime in on how the frame skip works)
The audio normally cuts out because the Pi can't keep up. Frame Skip halves the number of rendered frames, so it will display at 25fps instead of 50fps. This makes it look a lot less smooth and can be annoying when losing a life and the player normally flashes but it will now be invisible (Alien Breed for example).
I don't use the JIT option on games, with the exception of IK+ where it is required to make the SFX work, no need for frame skip either.
You don't need to enable JIT for IK+ sound effects. You just have to set the CPU speed to 7mhz (for the WHDLoad version, this also gets rid of the flickering on their legs). It should already work normally when using the A500 floppy version.

Haemogoblin

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:43 pm

Thank you for that, as the first page to the thread hasn't been updated, I had no way of knowing that Chips was no longer updating this here. It would have been nice to know, as I've been waiting to hear back from his regarding keyboard support for over two weeks. Unless things have changed since 0.4, Uae4arm is a little lacking when it comes to playing games via the keyboard. Hoping AmigaPI will be coming back with some info on this, as I know he is looking in to it.

-windale Where might I find the github page for the version you guys are using?
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?

windale

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:14 pm

It's the same link that you posted before :-

You can see the list of changes that he's made since v0.4 by going here :-

https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi/commits/master

Unfortunately you will need to know how to compile this into a binary file (like the ones that Chips used to post on the first page). RetroPie compiles and updates it for me.

Haemogoblin

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Would doing this not pull down the latest version?

sudo git clone https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi
sudo apt-get install g++-4.8
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
sudo apt-get install libsdl-gfx1.2-dev
sudo apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-dev
sudo apt-get install libguichan-dev
make -f Makefile_rpi1

amigapi

Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:02 pm

With this steps you will install the latest version provided by chips. There is also a more advanced version avaible, which also includes mature Picasso96-support. But right now there is a bug in it which makes it impossible to make use of the Z3-Memory emulation.

In my opinion we should wait for a bug-fix on the sources by TomB.

Haemogoblin

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:03 pm

So the bumph on that page, showing the last update as 0.4, is totally inaccurate? I think this is probably why I've not bothered updating, because nowhere on this thread until now. Has it been said that Chips has updated it further. IF I've somehow missed that and it has been stated, I appologise.

@Amigapi - any progress on the keyboard issue?

windale

Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:06 pm

@Haemogoblin

Did you read the list of updates since v0.4 from this link ?

https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi/commits/master

The binary file on the first page (v0.4) was the last version that he kindly compiled for us from the source github. He hasn't bothered since because most people can compile it themselves from the source github page. The Retropie setup can compile it. If you don't have Retropie then you have to manually compile it yourself. v0.4 was submitted on September 4th. The latest update was 27th October which is v1.0.0.2 (same as the Pandora version). You said you didn't even have the 68030 option which was added a long time ago. I won't say anymore.

Haemogoblin

Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:42 pm

@windale

Thank you for explaining that, really appreciate it. That's cleared a lot up, I've been going to the other page, seeing the 0.4 and assuming there hadn't been anything new uploaded. Which I did think was odd lol

I compiled the binary a while ago, so I'll do it again today and get myself running the most recent version.

Again thanks for that! :-)

Chips

Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:56 pm

retrofan011 wrote:Tonight, I did update to the latest version v0.4 through RetroPie v3.0 final on my RPI 2.
Emulator works very well but I have a big problem, because Z3 fast memory is not working.
Strange.... Z3 memory is recognized on my setup here (rasbian wheezy...). Retropie is using Jessie... never tried on it.
But i was using 2 HDD and it looks like latest code fails with 2 HDD... so i can't re-try startruck...
windale wrote:JIT is only useful when using CPU speed “Fastest”.
This is wrong and should be a misunderstanding of what tomB said... leave JIT always on except you find something working worst with it... JIT and Fastest are two different setting and Fastest should only be used on software not relying on execution cycle...
Last edited by Chips on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Haemogoblin

Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:21 pm

@chips

Hey there buddy, i was wondering as ive yet to run the latest version. Could you tell me, has there been much progress in getting keyboard support in games?

Also, thank you for all the work your doing on this emulator, allowing us Amiga fans to play games on our Pi's :D

Cheers!

retrofan011

Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:51 pm

@Chips
Strange.... Z3 memory is recognized on my setup here (rasbian wheezy...). Retropie is using Jessie... never tried on it.
But i was using 2 HDD and it looks like latest code fails with 2 HDD... so i can't re-try startruck...
I'm afraid I did not quite understand this.
Can you tell me which version you use, the one which use windale and I or this on the first page, which haemogoblin talk about?
Also its not clear under what conditions you able to use the Z3's memory, and when you could not?
My setup uses a single folder for OS and two additional HDF files for games.
Will Z3 memory work, if I exclude one HDF file or not?

Chips

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:31 pm

I use compiled source code from my github account on rasbian wheezy on Rpi2...
Z3 seems always working, i never get the kind of error you got (a "Defective board" message )...

Haemogoblin

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:54 pm

So how does keyboard support look now? Can you map keys?

retrofan011

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:56 pm

@Chips
I use compiled source code from my github account on rasbian wheezy on Rpi2...
Z3 seems always working, i never get the kind of error you got (a "Defective board" message )...
Ok, now we know that the problem is in Retropie Raspbian distro.
Do you have, any idea what may be causing this incorrect detection of Z3 memory?
It seems to me, that this is a some minor couse, because in the previous version worked fine.

Haemogoblin

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:49 am

Just tried to compile the source and got this

src/cpuemu_0.cpp: In function ‘long unsigned int op_edd0_0_ff(uae_u32, regstruct*)’:
src/cpuemu_0.cpp:29957:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
}
^
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs> for instructions.
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
<builtin>: recipe for target 'src/cpuemu_0.o' failed
make: *** [src/cpuemu_0.o] Error 1

Haemogoblin

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:07 am

Ok think i've figured out where i was going wrong.

Went to https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi and downloaded the file as a zip, which I unpacked to my drive. Ran the make command and it's getting further then before.

UPDATE -

All compiled now, but one thing I've noticed is the sound is really choppy and crackling. Is that what everyone else it getting?

Chips

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:12 pm

alignment with v1.0.2 from TomB available in github. It solve my problem with HDD so that i could re-try starstruck and it still works well :)
Picasso seems better but crash from time to time... i will look further later...
Haemogoblin wrote:All compiled now, but one thing I've noticed is the sound is really choppy and crackling. Is that what everyone else it getting?
You're on Rpi1 ou Rpi2 ?

retrofan011

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:30 am

What is the correct procedure to manually compile uae4arm in Raspbian Wheezy on Rpi2?
Do I need to do something else, except instaling libguichan librarry?

Chips

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:19 am

retrofan011 wrote:What is the correct procedure to manually compile uae4arm in Raspbian Wheezy on Rpi2?
It's written in Github page...

Return to “Gaming”