windale

Re: Uae4arm: Amiga emulator with JIT and DispmanX

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:08 pm

Chips wrote:I don't think you would achieve 49fps if every frame is too heavy, and if its not the case the drop will not be the same... 49fps looks like more a sporadic overloading.
Jim power is the worse case: every frame is overloading the rpi, only few time it succeed to be smooth. It could be an interesting game for searching optimizations ...
49fps was just an example, if any game\demo doesn't hit the magic 50, even if it's just 1 or 2 frames short then it automatically gets lowered to 25fps ?

The Jim Power title screen is probably the most intensive test game for the Amiga. But actual in game gameplay used to be about full speed before the last updates (on a Pi 3), but now it's also 25fps. So do you think this is fixable or would you have to revert your timing fix so double buffering works again ?

MiDWaN

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been a little busy with other projects lately so this was delayed.
I haven't given up on it yet though. :)

I run into some problems with the SDL2 port, which I wasn't able to fix yet. The emulator config screen shows up pretty much OK using SDL2 and Guisan (an SDL2 version of the older guichan toolkit), but when launching the actual emulation it doesn't work correctly.

I need more time to find out what's wrong there and fix it. If anyone else is experienced with SDL2, they're welcome to join the effort and help speed this up. :)

MiDWaN

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:26 pm

@Chips-fr: BTW, I also noticed that the last changes made the emulator slower.

I tested it rather quickly (so no thorough, multi-level tests) using SysSpeed for example: The CPU mark comes out significantly lower than the older builds, losing about 20 MIPS on average. There's definitely something going on with the JIT implementation there...

Chips

Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I re-introduced double buffering for raspberry pi.
I'm still trying to get fastest up to the maximum of what the pi can handle but it looks like there are some shady part in the fastest code...
Anyway see previous page why fastest should be slower in current github master...

windale

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Thanks for repairing double buffering. Jim Power title screen is up to 36fps (used to be 41fps in previous versions). Better than it was.

I wondered if anything can be done about the CD32 controls ? There is an option in the Ports panel to use CD32 controls but if you're using a Bluetooth joypad (PS3) you have to select PS3 joypad in the Ports panel, then none of the coloured CD32 buttons work and you can't do custom mapping either. Can this be fixed please, otherwise only some CD32 games are actually playable ?

MiDWaN

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:25 pm

Indeed, with double buffering enabled the display updates much smoother now.
And with the latest audio fixes we finally got rid of those annoying "buffer underrun" errors when quitting. :)

The JIT changes seem to be causing glitches in the benchmarking tools though, which wasn't the case in previous builds. This started happening after the latest merge from Pandora's sources.

I've also noticed a few other bugs, such as:
- HDFs don't get a volume name and there's no way to assign one manually to them
- Ctrl-A-A doesn't seem to cause a reset in the emulation, like it should.

I'm working on these two in my fork at the moment.

Meanwhile, I've also added a Shutdown button to make life easier: this allows you to shut down the host without having to type anything on the console... ;-)

Chips

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 am

windale wrote: I wondered if anything can be done about the CD32 controls ? There is an option in the Ports panel to use CD32 controls but if you're using a Bluetooth joypad (PS3)
PS3 joypad always had a strange behavior... one things to try is to remove my PS3 workaround and use instead the xboxdrv package which handle both PS3 & xbox controller and make them more standard. I think it cover more specificity than my workaround.
MiDWaN wrote:The JIT changes seem to be causing glitches in the benchmarking tools though, which wasn't the case in previous builds. This started happening after the latest merge from Pandora's sources.
sysinfo give me number which looks ok. Never succeed to launch sysspeed26... i click on it and nothing happens...
MiDWaN wrote: - Ctrl-A-A doesn't seem to cause a reset in the emulation, like it should.
It works well on plain raspbian in my setup... didn't understand why some people got it not working.

windale

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:25 am

Chips wrote:
MiDWaN wrote: - Ctrl-A-A doesn't seem to cause a reset in the emulation, like it should.
It works well on plain raspbian in my setup... didn't understand why some people got it not working.
It would be nice to have a 'Soft Reset' button (Ctrl+A+A) in the GUI for convenience.

MiDWaN

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Hmm, upon further testing I found out that although the Ctrl-A-A combination does not work for me, the Ctrl-LA-Menu does indeed cause a reset. :)

The HDF problem seems to be related to the size/type of the HDF, since smaller ones do work correctly. And I have reports that the one I'm testing worked on earlier builds of uae4arm as well, but I didn't test that myself yet. The size of the file is 760MB roughly.

Methanoid

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Do you mean 750mb is the safe limit for HDF?

windale

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:17 pm

MiDWaN wrote: The HDF problem seems to be related to the size/type of the HDF, since smaller ones do work correctly. And I have reports that the one I'm testing worked on earlier builds of uae4arm as well, but I didn't test that myself yet. The size of the file is 760MB roughly.
I have been using 950mb PFS3 formatted HDF's and FFS formatted HDF's on all versions of UAE4Arm no problems.

1GB has always been the limit on UAE4Arm.

MiDWaN

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm not sure what the problem is with this HDF yet, but I'll get to the bottom of it sooner or later...

Bertinsky

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 am

Hi Guys,

I was trying to follow the discussion regarding Joystick configuration for UAE4ARM, but expierencing the following problem:
I've setup uae4arm-rpi v05 on my raspberry Pi 2, using retropie 4.1

Having installed an joypad (Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2) everything seemed to be fine. Keys are detected and can be used in configuration of retropie and uae4arm without any problems. But when starting any game (Tried with Supercars 2 and Wizball), the keys are not detected as joystick in game. I've tried to configure as described but my joypad is always detected as mouse. Strange thing Nr. 2 is that neighter Keyboard nor other input device will work.

As i am noob on Raspberry, is there any doc/material you can link me to? Does anyone face similar problems?
Thank you in advance
Bertinsky

Voljega

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Hello Bertinsly, well I'm in no way an expert on UAE4ARM, linux or Pi but did you try to change the selected peripherical in the input menu of the GUI ?

Well I also came here to ask a couple of questions.
Basically I'm trying to integrate UAE4ARM into Recalbox (a project comparable to Retropie but based on a custom linux built with builtroot) in a very user friendly way : just launch the game from Emulation Station and get back to Emulation Station when you want.
I'm pretty war away because I managed to do that for ADF and games in WHD format as well, but the controls configuration part is pretty obscure to me. I'm using version 0.5 by now.

I searched a lot about it either but Google or even trials with uae files but it's hard to find good documentation.
From what I understand pandora controls are somehow still hardcoded into UAE4ARM for Pi : when specifying no controls in a UAE file we still get the 'Nubs as Mouse' and 'dPad ad Joystick' automatically set.
Nubs seems to be able to link by itself to the mouse alright but for me the dPad ain't linking to my controller.
I read all kind of things from the Pyra forum to here to amiberry github/site to ls-uae configuraition but nothing is clear

So I was able to refine my uae config to use my controller with simple following configuration :

Code: Select all

joyport0=mouse
joyport0autofire=none
joyport0mode=mouse
joyportname0=MOUSE0
joyport1=joy0
joyport1autofire=normal
joyport1mode=djoy
joyportname1=JOY1
I found that in Happiga or Amiberry configuration files but with a JOY0 on the last line but that wasn't working for me although the controller used by configuring JOY1 is the first one connected on the system.

So I have the following questions regarding controllers (mouse doesn't bother me):

- first how does uae4arm detects the controllers ? they appear in the input menu allright but how is it possible to launch the emulator with a specific controller connected to the system ? JOY0/1 seems awkward at worse and lucky at best, I would like to be able to automatically launch the emulator with a specific controller and for it to be immediately usable.

- second, when the first part is done how to automatically configure the button(s) to use on the controller ? the ones which are used seems to be defined randomly, is there anyway again to do that in a uae conf file ?

- third and last how can you configure the use of two joysticks instead of one mouse and joystick ?

I must say I used precompiled version of UAE4ARM because I don't have machine usable to compile at the moment, so I'm really searching for a solution using only conf files (for the moment I leave aside the issue concerning the exit of the emulator with a controller button or button combination)

MiDWaN

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:30 pm

The controller mapping is something that needs some love, so we're currently undergoing a rewrite in that area on the Amiberry version.
We just finished porting it to SDL2, so it's a good opportunity to rewrite that portion and make it better.

We're also looking into using the libretro API (as a separate config, so you can compile a standalone or a libretro version), so the controller mapping will have to be compatible with that approach.

There's still a lot of work to be done, but we're making progress.

Meanwhile, the current "master" branch already has the option to map the emulator GUI and/or Shutdown functions to controller buttons, besides the keyboard.

Voljega

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:37 am

Hello Midwan, thanks for your answer !

This is really a great news for the libretro integration it will really simplify everything

I've seen you're contributing to uae4arm-rpi github also so any chances to see custom modifications made for amiberry coming into uae4arm-pi one day ?

And how do you reference/configure buttons to be used for GUI and quitting the emulator in amiberry ? A friend i'm working with installed it and sent me the uae you're using and I had a (very) quick look at it but didn't see the related parameters.
Is it only doable in the GUI ?

MiDWaN

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Voljega wrote:Hello Midwan, thanks for your answer !

This is really a great news for the libretro integration it will really simplify everything

I've seen you're contributing to uae4arm-rpi github also so any chances to see custom modifications made for amiberry coming into uae4arm-pi one day ?

And how do you reference/configure buttons to be used for GUI and quitting the emulator in amiberry ? A friend i'm working with installed it and sent me the uae you're using and I had a (very) quick look at it but didn't see the related parameters.
Is it only doable in the GUI ?
The mapping configuration options are only there in the latest version from master, but that version has not been deployed in DietPi's distro yet (because we wanted to fix a few bugs). If you get that and compile it from source, you'll find those options in the GUI, but they propagate to the config file also.

I cannot speak for the uae4arm-rpi project, as that is Chips' repository. If he wants to merge in any changes, he's welcome to do so. :)

Libretro is something I really want to get into, but I have to read through the API and understand how it works first. So it will come, but maybe take some time.

Voljega

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Ok thank you again.

Substring one of the dev in the Recalbox team told me to pass along the following message regarding SDL2 port :

maybe you'll be interested in one of SDL2 nice feature for pad configuration:
https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GameControl ... gsFromFile

It is apparently used bye Steam & PPSSPP among others.

It's a simple concept : one file (like https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameCont ... llerdb.txt) describe a big set of standardized configurations with an XBOX like-mapping.

In the code you then just have to select the joypad and use the generic SDL events name, with no further joystick mapping to redo, only by using and handling https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GameControllerButton and https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GameControllerAxis et gérer proprement derrière.

This is nice for unifying configuration and even simulate a mouse on the pad if there's enough button/stick

anyway thanks again and bye

MiDWaN

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info, it will definitely come in handy! :)

escalade

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:23 am

We need to get these amiga emulators ported to libretro, which abstracts things like graphics and input handling. Also it would be great to have games scraped by RetroArch and presented nicely in a frontend with other emulators. I wish I could code :)

There's been a couple of attempts, where development seems to have more or less stagnated:

https://github.com/r-type/uae4arm-libretro
https://github.com/libretro/libretro-fsuae

Chirone72

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:05 pm

@Chips-fr,
I have a Pi3 connected to a 5:4 monitor and I noticed that pictures, at every resolution starting from 1280x1024 that is its native resolution, are always a little blurry and not shaper as they can be.
Since I have also an FPGA Arcade connected to the same monitor, that give sharper images (connected always through DVI-D), I want to ask you if there is something that you can do in the emulator to improve this little issue which I think can depend from some filter or from scaling.
I attached two pictures (F=Fpga; P=Pi) I'm sorry for the quality but the forums permits only 64Kb images, they are both about a detail of the A (reversed) letter in Amiga in the kickstart (1.3) disk, as you can see also if P picture was made 'from a better shot' it has a grey zone that is more blurry than in F.

Thank you
Attachments
F.png
F.png (30.61 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
P.png
P.png (37.1 KiB) Viewed 1816 times

Chips

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:35 am

Chirone72 wrote:@Chips-fr,
I have a Pi3 connected to a 5:4 monitor and I noticed that pictures, at every resolution starting from 1280x1024 that is its native resolution, are always a little blurry and not shaper as they can be.
I'm not sure it's your problem but by default dispmanx apply a scaling algorithm. You can change it and even use nearest neighborhood which should looks like blocky.

You can see here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/104
You can set it in config.txt or even dump then use the new parameters using shell command.

Chirone72

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:53 am

I'm not sure it's your problem but by default dispmanx apply a scaling algorithm. You can change it and even use nearest neighborhood which should looks like blocky.
You can see here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/104
You can set it in config.txt or even dump then use the new parameters using shell command.
Hi Chips,
thank you for the answer, I looked at the thread you mentioned.
I should say that the problem that I reported doesn't affect only my configuration but to every Rpi connected to every LCD monitor, also yours. The blurry is not a lot but enough to "muffle" the image and make it less sharper than it can be.
I try to explain me better, If I left config.txt in his default (auto setting) or if I force by hand 1280x1024@50Hz or 60Hz I always see everything perfectly, the CLI is really shaper.
Blurry happens only when emulator is launched and I see KS picture, neither in his menu because I see it perfectly, so there is some scaling algorithm that is not doing the right work and it happens only after start or reset button is pressed.
It was always in this way in every version of UAE4ARM that I've tested, from the earliest versions.
But before to have a term of comparison I used it the same thinking it was at his better, now I know instead that it could be improved.

Could you investigate ?

Thank you

Chips

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Looks like link to the dispmanx scaling i was speaking of... So did the proposition in given thread improve something or not ?

Chirone72

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Looks like link to the dispmanx scaling i was speaking of... So did the proposition in given thread improve something or not ?
Now I'm far from Rpi but I will give you some feedback later. Thank you for the moment !

Return to “Gaming”