retrofan011

Re: Uae4arm: Amiga emulator with JIT and DispmanX

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:36 am

@Chips

Thanks, I found it.
Are you going to adapt uae4arm for Raspbian Jessie in the future and fix this Z3 memory bug?

Chips

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:43 am

I will switch to jessie somedays, but first i would like to understand why picasso96 is now crashing in many resolution...
Last edited by Chips on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haemogoblin

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:12 am

@chips

I'm running a RPI2

Also for the person who needs to compile the source do this..

First go here, click the button on the right of the screen that says "Download Zip"
https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi

Once the file is downloaded, you need to unzip it, right click on the file and select "Extract here". It will proceed to create a folder called "uae4arm-rpi-master". Open the new folder you just created, in the new window, click "Tools" from the menu and select "Open current folder in Terminal"

A new window should have now appeared with a prompt, assuming your using a RPI2, type in the following command.

make CXX=g++-4.8

Alternatively for the RPI1

make PLATFORM=rpi1 CXX=g++-4.8

It will take a while for your pi to build the binary, so leave it alone while it works.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

retrofan011

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:11 pm

Wow, that works on RetroPie too!
Now I can use the Z3 memory, my favorite demos work, the only two games I found, that dont work quite well are Alien Breed 3D (crackling intro sound) and Flink (slower with slightly distorted sound).
Thank you both.

Haemogoblin

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Not a problem, glad it worked for you! :D
Now could you do me a favor? Run Stunt Car racer and tell me if your sound is crackling? Because On mine it is dreadful and I have to turn it off. In fact I've not had good sound in a single game thus far.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?

amigapi

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:08 pm

I use Jessie and as soon as possible I will try your latest sources.

windale

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:42 pm

I updated to the latest (Nov 16) and can confirm that Z3 memory is now working again.

@Haemogoblin
I tried Stunt Car Racer and the sound is fine on mine. I tried the WHDLoad version on 68020, I had to lower the CPU speed to 7mhz to stop the car flickering and it works great.

@chips
I still can't see any benefit from JIT. It just starts to make the sound crackle and the video slow down, when I turn it off the sound is fine. I can't find any demos or games where JIT is better. My main setup is

ClassicWB Lite
25 Mhz
AGA
on RetroPie v3.2.1

Haemogoblin

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Ok, so something Is clearly not right. I might have to recompile it.

@Windale

1. How is your memory split?
2. What model of SD card you running, specifically speed class 4? 10?
3. Where is your audio coming from HDMI or audio jack?

Thank you for testing the game for me, I was certain something was wrong as dos box runs just fine. My only thought ATM is your running retro pie and I'm building my binary and using it in raspbian.

retrofan011

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:38 am

@windale

Do you recompile manually or from RetroPie install script?
Can you tell me, how long is binary file in bytes?
btw, the latest version, works really nice, but I noticed slightly worse performance, than previous version, for example in Alien Breed 3D.
Before, I could get decent sound without crackling, but now it seems impossible.
Whats is your experience?

@Haemogoblin

Sorry for late reply, I can confirm what windale said, both floppy and whd version of Stunt Car Racer, runs just fine, without sound issue.
I use Kingston 8Gb microsd card class 10, memory split in Retropie is 320Mb for gpu, using HDMI output on LCD TV.

Haemogoblin

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:10 am

I recompiled the source last night, and increased my GPU memory share to 256mb. But UAE still struggles with the sound. It's almost like it is speeding up and slowing down, fortunately I have another PI2 which I'm going to try the emulator out on. I can't swap memory cards out so easy with the AmigaPi, as the boards inside the case.

windale

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:31 am

@Haemogoblin

I have no idea what my memory split is. I have never touched it. It's whatever RetroPie sets it at. I also have never touched the Overclock option. I think the Retropie default is 'Medium 900mhz'.
MicroSD card is a Kingston 32gb U1 (Similar to Class 10).
I use a HDMI cable (1.4).

@retrofan011

I updated using the Retropie menu, install emulator from 'source'. I think the performance may be slightly worse but that could be due to the slight increase in compatibility. I can't check the binary size yet as I am not at home at the moment of writing this.

Haemogoblin

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:14 am

I've just written an image of retropie to an SD card and I'm going to try it out in a bit to see if it makes any difference. I honestly dont know what could be causing this issue, the emulator plays games relatively well. I have noticed however that even after recompiling the latest source. When I exit the emulator is still says something like uae4arm chip 0.4 in the terminal, but as I have the 030 processor available in the emulator, surely this must be a bug. A bit of text that hasn't been updated with the rest of the source code.

retrofan011

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:50 pm

@windale

Thanks, I compiled manually, but and presumed that result is the same.
When you at home, can you please try Alien Breed 3D (whd) and see if you can get a main screen sound without crackling?
I cant do that, with this new version...

windale

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:23 pm

I tried Alien Breed 3D and the title sound does cut out and sound like it's in slow motion. The status line says it's running between 36 and 42 fps (depending on what configuration you use). It sounds correct if you put frameskip on but then it will only be running at 25 fps and wont look as good.

Haemogoblin

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Well today has certainly been interesting to say the least. I downloaded retropi to a new kingston 32gb class 4 SD card and installed it in my original RPI2b, this is the computer I dont mess about it. It sits inside a nice little pibow case and it used for testing software etc.

I have to say, setting up Retropi was not easy for me. The location of the kickstarter and rom files seemed hap hazard, instead of having them both inside the root of uae4arm. Anyways, I got stunt car racer running on both uae4arm and uae4all. My results were pretty much like what you'd reported back. The sound was perfect and the game play wasn't bad either.

I decided to copy the compiled binary from the AmigaPI to the PI downstairs, what do you know, the performance was perfect. I can only now assume that something in the startup sequence of the AmigaPI is messing up the sound. I'm not sure what the heck it could be, so I'm going to compare settings on a vanilla install of wheezy, with those of the AmigaPI. If anyone wants to chime in with a suggestion, I seriously will be more then delighted to hear it :lol:

UPDATE
Blimey, I've figured it out! Only took me all evening, comparing files on the working system and then on AmigaPI. And what was it? Pulse audio, I'm not even sure why this was installed, but after I removed it and rebooted. UAE was up and running, I played my first game of Stunt Car with perfect, crisp audio and it was awesome!! :D

retrofan011

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:52 am

I would like to uae4arm automatically starts my preferred configuration, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.
There is the option "Show GUI on startup", but how to start a specific config file?

Also, is it possible to automatically start uae4arm, immediately after booting OS, or without loading the entire RetroPie package?
It would be very nice for projects like AmigaPi, that haemogoblin made.

Haemogoblin

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:00 pm

As far as I understand it, the UAE default profile is loaded at startup. As for getting UAE boot on start up, that should be easy. As you can set the pi to boot startx instead of going in to terminal.

retrofan011

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Ok, but how to make my favorite profile to be default?
About second question, I am not Linux guru, so can you be more specific, please?
What should I do to make uae4arm boot on startup?

Haemogoblin

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Save your favourite profile as the one named UAE default or what ever its called. As for setting UAE to boot up straight away, check the forum, there will be something covering this, I'm sure :-)

Chips

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:38 pm

Looks like picasso not working is due to a bug in gcc...
Switching to vfpv4 fpu instead of neon-vfpv4 solve the problem, lower optimization than 03 too... gcc-4.9 has this problem too...

So i just pushed a workaround: set O2 optimization level for the function which crash...
windale wrote: @chips
I still can't see any benefit from JIT. It just starts to make the sound crackle and the video slow down, when I turn it off the sound is fine. I can't find any demos or games where JIT is better. My main setup is

ClassicWB Lite
25 Mhz
AGA
on RetroPie v3.2.1
Always try first plain ADF on correct configuration (A500 with 68000 @ 7 Mhz or A1200 with 68020 @ 14 Mhz) before trying such strange setup... many demos/games doesn't like upgraded CPU or speed.

On my setup JIT has always been working well (no defect with JIT activated), it even allows startruck to be really fast: so definitly it is working ...

windale

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:40 am

Chips wrote:
windale wrote: @chips

ClassicWB Lite
25 Mhz
AGA
on RetroPie v3.2.1
Always try first plain ADF on correct configuration (A500 with 68000 @ 7 Mhz or A1200 with 68020 @ 14 Mhz) before trying such strange setup... many demos/games doesn't like upgraded CPU or speed.

On my setup JIT has always been working well (no defect with JIT activated), it even allows startruck to be really fast: so definitly it is working ...
Strange setup ? You said you used 25mhz on the Starstruck demo (on page 1). Or is 25mhz only compatible when using 68040 ?

The main reason I increased the CPU speed was for WHDLoad. I have a lot of games and all demos but it takes a very long time for the windows to open on 14mhz. So I should stick with 68040 for WHDLoad and leave JIT always on ? I've checked the status line when JIT is on when watching demos and I get slowdown which goes away when I turn JIT off. I still can't understand why TomB says 'JIT is only useful when using CPU speed Fastest', see his first post here :-
https://boards.openpandora.org/topic/18 ... ent=382743

retrofan011

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Chips wrote:Looks like picasso not working is due to a bug in gcc...
Switching to vfpv4 fpu instead of neon-vfpv4 solve the problem, lower optimization than 03 too... gcc-4.9 has this problem too...

So i just pushed a workaround: set O2 optimization level for the function which crash...
Thanks, I'll certainly try.
Can you tell me, are you noticed any negative effects in terms of compatibility with games or maybe increasing cpu load in compared to the previous version?

Chips

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Didn't have su much time to check for compatibility and speed... sorry.
I should look at CPU usage which can be displayed on first "LED"... currently it is stuck at 100%... it would be a good indication of what's going on...
windale wrote:Strange setup ? You said you used 25mhz on the Starstruck demo (on page 1). Or is 25mhz only compatible when using 68040 ?

The main reason I increased the CPU speed was for WHDLoad. I have a lot of games and all demos but it takes a very long time for the windows to open on 14mhz. So I should stick with 68040 for WHDLoad and leave JIT always on ? I've checked the status line when JIT is on when watching demos and I get slowdown which goes away when I turn JIT off.
Startruck is one of the demos/games that is not relying on precise timings between CPU and chipset since it was written with accelerator card in mind (it even now works well in fastest mode)... but majority of amiga demos/games rely on precise timings so stick with 68000 @ 7Mhz for OCS game/demos and 68020 @ 14 Mhz for AGA game/demos except rare cases... perhaps whdload patch games/demos in order to increase compatibility with accelerator card or OCS to AGA but it's another question and should depends on each game/demo patch...
windale wrote:still can't understand why TomB says 'JIT is only useful when using CPU speed Fastest', see his first post here :-
https://boards.openpandora.org/topic/18 ... ent=382743
He said: "compared with uae4all"... that's true that compared with uae4all2 no real speed up is achieved due to JIT in uae4arm, (technically speaking JIT should give major speed up but it's not the case here for various reasons)... even JIT vs non JIT on uae4arm is not so much benefit... there is anyway a nice benefit in fastest mode.

windale

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Chips wrote:He said: "compared with uae4all"... that's true that compared with uae4all2 no real speed up is achieved due to JIT in uae4arm, (technically speaking JIT should give major speed up but it's not the case here for various reasons)... even JIT vs non JIT on uae4arm is not so much benefit... there is anyway a nice benefit in fastest mode.
So there isn't really any need for JIT as the Raspberry Pi is not fast enough to take advantage of it ? And fastest mode just makes the sound crackle (probably due to the slow speed of the Pi ?) Maybe it works better on Pandora (which is slower than the Pi !?!). I'll just keep the option off.

Chips

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:47 pm

windale wrote:So there isn't really any need for JIT as the Raspberry Pi is not fast enough to take advantage of it ?
No relation... i don't know what makes you feel this...
windale wrote:And fastest mode just makes the sound crackle (probably due to the slow speed of the Pi ?)
Still no relation... i just repeat but fastest + JIT works very well in startruck with no crackled sound...

I still don't understand why you don't want first to check with correct setting the games/demos which give you trouble but instead blame various setting/features of uae4arm...

Return to “Gaming”