User avatar
Phixxy
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 am

NES Operating System

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:31 am

I had an idea of making an NES operating system for the raspberry pi. However I do not know how to make operating systems, or emulation software. I was wondering how possible it would be to create an OS that would boot into a list of games/ROMs. Then the user could press up/down on an NES controller, connected via USB, to scroll through the list of games they have. When the game is selected, it would boot up and the user could play the game with an NES controller.

User avatar
BakaOsaka
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:30 am

Re: NES Operating System

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 am

It's possible, though I suggest you learn to do it yourself. The easiest option would be to find an NES emulator that supports this and then make it run at startup, as well as enable r/w on framebuffer, if required, and enable sound.

mikerr
Posts: 2826
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: NES Operating System

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:25 am

Making your own "operating system" is a technically massive job taking very experienced programmers many months at best
- but most people just mean "GUI front end" when they say that ;)

Realistically you could achieve what you want by using linux and compiling an existing NES emulator for Pi , and getting it to run at startup.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

User avatar
Phixxy
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 am

Re: NES Operating System

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Thank you both, this actually helps a lot. It will be much more possible for me to make a program run at start up, instead of having to create an operating system. =P

User avatar
cheery
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:58 pm

It's actually quite boring and lame idea lets be honest. Rather than this provide an easy way to start-anything-at-boot at linux, and maybe make/port a NES emulator optimized for pi.

User avatar
Phixxy
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 am

Re: NES Operating System

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Well my idea was to put the pi inside an NES case. My NES is broken so I figured it would be kinda nice to have a working one that can use the old controllers and everything.

User avatar
cheery
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Well that's cool idea although I'm bit uneasy about the idea of tearing apart a NES even if broken. Someone has done it before though, and I remember seeing those hacks in youtube. You could look up how someone interfaced with those controllers and reimplement it in pi. :)

User avatar
Phixxy
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 am

Re: NES Operating System

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:14 am

I was going to take out the controller ports, which is extremely easy, and replace them with these.
http://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Nintend ... B000PDOTXG
connect those to the RPi, via a hub. im not entirely sure how im going to get the power/reset buttons to work yet. I will have to figure that out when i get a RPi.

User avatar
Phixxy
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 am

Re: NES Operating System

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Well I got the light and the power switch working! WOOHOO! I've never soldered before and I didn't have solder so I was taking solder off of old broken nintendo parts. That only worked for one usb wire. For the other side of the switch I used an alligator clip and duct tape to make sure it doesn't fall off. For the LED I just used the raspberry Pi's LED and carried the light with some plastic tube thing I found lying around. I held it in place temporarily with legos to take the picture and make sure that It would light up the outside part of the case. Overall I'm glad with the outcome, but how dangerous is this?

Image
Image

User avatar
SQLEinstein
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Hey Phixxy,

I also want to turn my old NES into a retro gamining system using my PI. If you find a good emulator compiled for PI please post.

Thanks!

ratherDashing
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:00 am

Re: NES Operating System

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm

great start.

now head on over to the retroarch thread as they have a working nes emulator.

shawnbusker
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 am

Re: NES Operating System

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Great idea, I actually am planning to make a case for my pi with an NES too. But I plan on using the original NES controller sockets using the code from http://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... bly-guide/
And I plan on wiring the power led and power switches directly to a powersupply I will be using to power the raspberry pi. I also plan on mounting an lcd screen to the top of the case and wiring it to the Rpi. I'm going to wire the controller ports this weekend and post the results.

Shawn

User avatar
Phixxy
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 am

Re: NES Operating System

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:06 pm

shawnbusker wrote:Great idea, I actually am planning to make a case for my pi with an NES too. But I plan on using the original NES controller sockets using the code from http://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... bly-guide/
And I plan on wiring the power led and power switches directly to a powersupply I will be using to power the raspberry pi. I also plan on mounting an lcd screen to the top of the case and wiring it to the Rpi. I'm going to wire the controller ports this weekend and post the results.

Shawn
How are you connecting the power switch to a power supply? I cut open a usb cord and soldered/clipped the red wire to the power button. Are you doing it some other way?

shawnbusker
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 am

Re: NES Operating System

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Phixxy wrote:
shawnbusker wrote:Great idea, I actually am planning to make a case for my pi with an NES too. But I plan on using the original NES controller sockets using the code from http://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... bly-guide/
And I plan on wiring the power led and power switches directly to a powersupply I will be using to power the raspberry pi. I also plan on mounting an lcd screen to the top of the case and wiring it to the Rpi. I'm going to wire the controller ports this weekend and post the results.

Shawn
How are you connecting the power switch to a power supply? I cut open a usb cord and soldered/clipped the red wire to the power button. Are you doing it some other way?
I was planning on wiring both switches actually. The power and reset buttons in series on the power line (usb cable) to the raspberry pi. Like so:Image

Shawn

User avatar
Phixxy
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 am

Re: NES Operating System

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:41 am

Tell me if it works. I think the reset button doesn't let current through until you press it in. I'm not sure though because I had no way to test it. That is exactly what I wanted to do with mine but I wasn't sure if it would work.

JoeDaStudd
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:41 am

As long as the reset button is push to break switch and the power is latching switch it should work fine.
Even if the default NES switches aren't the correct types I'm sure you can pick them up for a few pence each or salvage them from things.

shawnbusker
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 am

Re: NES Operating System

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:04 pm

On initial look at the switches, I realized that the diagram I posted wouldn't work. However, another look at the inside of the switch made me realize that a simple modification would do the trick.
Inside of button [unmodified]:Image Pushed in:Image
Modified:Image

What I did was I removed the spring from the piece of metal that makes the connection and placed the metal piece behind the two connection points. This makes a constant on state of the button and when the button is pressed in the connection breaks.

Shawn

Ultros
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm doing something similar with mine here shortly and I'm doing a checklist in my head.

One issue I've ran into is the shutdown procedure though. I'm working on a way to gently power down the system when either button is pressed but I'm not sure I'm going about it the right way.

For power: The power button needs to halt the system and then remove power, then reconnect power to turn the system back on.

I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this. Ideally we would read the button press, initiate the shutdown procedure and then disconnect power. I think I can figure it out using the GPIO, I know jack about though so it may take a bit ;)

For reset: reboot.

Same thing, utilize the GPIO to do a shutdown -r

Does this look like the right approach to this issue?

shawnbusker
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 am

Re: NES Operating System

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:13 pm

Ultros wrote:I'm doing something similar with mine here shortly and I'm doing a checklist in my head.

One issue I've ran into is the shutdown procedure though. I'm working on a way to gently power down the system when either button is pressed but I'm not sure I'm going about it the right way.

For power: The power button needs to halt the system and then remove power, then reconnect power to turn the system back on.

I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this. Ideally we would read the button press, initiate the shutdown procedure and then disconnect power. I think I can figure it out using the GPIO, I know jack about though so it may take a bit ;)

For reset: reboot.

Same thing, utilize the GPIO to do a shutdown -r

Does this look like the right approach to this issue?
That would work, but using the gpio pins would be a waste when you could just halt the system before pressing the power button and the reset button could always be for when the system freezes up instead of resetting the system by shutdown -r. Also, this wouldn't stop the flow of power to the RPI either for shutdown.

I plan on using the gpio pins for two controller ports and possibly a nokia 3310 lcd screen so I'm not sure how many would be free to use after that.

Another approach would be buying an Arduino (preferably the Mini, but any model will work), wiring the buttons to the Arduino, hooking up the Arduino to the TX,RX,GND pins on the RPI, and writing a background application to read the input and shutdown/restart the system.
The Arduino would have to be programmed to read the states of the buttons, send a message to the RPI to initialize shutdown/reset, and in the event of the power button being detected as off, power a transistor/relay to power off the RPI completely once it detects the system is halted(a timer could be used).
The opposite could be done when the arduino recognizes that the power button is activated, a transistor or relay could be activated to allow flow of power to the RPI. This would save a couple gpio pins for use with other gpio peripherals.

That's my two cents on the issue, but feel free to do it whichever way you feel is best.

Shawn

cutterjohn
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:36 pm

I was wondering about that crazy idea just to have a raspberry pi boot into an NES emulator, then I saw that your NES dead.

TWO things:
(a) IF you INSIST script to start whichever NES emulator works best on the pi.
(b) (a MUCH better idea IMNHO) go buy another NES on ebay or somplace. They've gotta be dirt cheap, and use your pi for something more useful...

Hexagon
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm going to do the same thing, just don't want to break my perfectly fine NES. Next stop - ebay :)

shawnbusker
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 am

Re: NES Operating System

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:03 am

I decided to further document my progress as I accomplish more of my task of making a Raspberry Pi NES Console. If you would like to follow my progress my blog is http://raspberrynes.blog.com

Shawn

Pikey
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't know why anyone would try and talk you out of such a cool project. NES was one of the best selling consoles and is very common, not at all rare, and the Pi is so cheap you could even buy one just for games and another one for other stuff.

Thanks for the interesting information, I will keep an eye out on your progress 8-)

mah
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Re: NES Operating System

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Hello
does anyone have a diagram for the wiring between the ports of NES controllers, and GPIO port of a raspberry pi 2
Thanks so much

Return to “Gaming”