imgamingbear

[NEED HELP] - Retropie GamePad Project

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:31 pm

So for a bit, I had the idea to use a touchscreen, 3D print a case, set up buttons and everything, and have a GamePad for RetroPie, very similar to the Wii U. But the thing is that the Raspberry Pi will be in the GamePad, and there will be no console box. And I need help with multiple things.

1 - What Pi RAM amount, Pi size, and ports will be ideal?

Mostly the RAM and size because for retro consoles it won’t be too hard to work on everything else, and the port part is a dumb question to ask since I didn’t state that I would be attaching a microphone for DS games.

2 - What would be an ideal battery capacity for a RetroPie console powering a screen, managing button inputs, and connecting wirelessly to a display? (More on that later)

So basically it’s going to use a touchscreen, D-Pad and the set of A, B, X and Y buttons, plus L and R and a monitor wirelessly. Hopefully the battery can last at least one hour but 2-3 would be ideal.

Also, if there are any button PCB guides or guides to set up those 10 buttons, I probably need a guide.

And the last question, #3 - Are there ANY wireless HDMI plugs (I’m basically looking for a cable without the wire that I can plug into both) that are cheap (not paying over $40), and if there aren’t, how can I connect it to a TV within RetroPie that can mirror devices wirelessly?

And if that isn’t possible I’ll just design an HDMI cable holder for the GamePad if I wanted to plug it into a TV with a wired connection.

Sorry if this is unclear, feel free to ask any questions, and don’t tell me that I can find what I wanted with a Google search. I already did that. Multiple times.

Moonmarch

Re: [NEED HELP] - Retropie GamePad Project

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:00 pm

You can purchase the Waveshare GamePi43 which does everything you are asking for, except have a touch screen. Here is a link to the GamePi43 for sale on Amazon:

GamePi43 Accessories Kit for Raspberry Pi 4B/3B+/3B/2B/B+ Portable Retro Video Handheld Game Console with 4.3inch IPS Display 800x480 Pixel 60 fps Smooth Gaming Experience Speaker Earphone Jack
https://www.amazon.com/GamePi43-Accesso ... 854&sr=8-3

You will have to purchase a Raspberry Pi computer, and the SD card. Any Raspberry Pi computer will play classic console games. The Raspberry Pi models 3, and 4 will have better performance with full 3D games. You will have to know how to use the Retropie operating system to use the handheld unit.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: [NEED HELP] - Retropie GamePad Project

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:18 am

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=289529

A project worked on, sounds like what OP is up for

Return to “Gaming”