flash_2100

Games for babies

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Hello,

First, I'm not a native english speaker... mistakes.. sorry... bla bla bla :D

I'd like to know if someone has made some kind of game console operating system for babies/game console like the V.smile baby from Vtech using a RPI and maybe a 3d printer (for the case and gamepads).

Why not buying a vsmile baby you say ? Well in my country it is not sold anymore (or it's VERY expensive if new) and people who sell used ones are assh*les. I bought 2 and both were actually broken (the description was "in perfect condition" and "working" or something equivalent as I don't remember exactly).

Using a RPI would be great, people could share their own games maybe and the RPI could still be used later for another project.

Anyway if someone knows a project/something I'd be glad to read you.

Before someone tells me : "If it does not exist, make it yourself instead of asking" => If I was able to do it I would probably not ask if someone has already made it ;)

Thanks

edit : More precision
The objective is to have a "game console" that a baby (around 2/3 years) can start and use alone (very simple UI/few buttons/...)

Heater

Re: Games for babies

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Personally I think "games of babies" is a really bad idea. At least screen based computer games.

Such young humans should be learning about the real, solid, 3D world around them. Hand-eye coordination. Language. Interacting with other humans. In short reality in all it's magnificence.

Disconnecting their minds from reality and plunging them into "virtual reality" just does not seem right to me.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ejolson

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:04 pm

flash_2100 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:14 pm
Hello,

First, I'm not a native english speaker... mistakes.. sorry... bla bla bla :D

I'd like to know if someone has made some kind of game console operating system for babies/game console like the V.smile baby from Vtech using a RPI and maybe a 3d printer (for the case and gamepads).

Why not buying a vsmile baby you say ? Well in my country it is not sold anymore (or it's VERY expensive if new) and people who sell used ones are assh*les. I bought 2 and both were actually broken (the description was "in perfect condition" and "working" or something equivalent as I don't remember exactly).

Using a RPI would be great, people could share their own games maybe and the RPI could still be used later for another project.

Anyway if someone knows a project/something I'd be glad to read you.

Before someone tells me : "If it does not exist, make it yourself instead of asking" => If I was able to do it I would probably not ask if someone has already made it ;)

Thanks

edit : More precision
The objective is to have a "game console" that a baby (around 2/3 years) can start and use alone (very simple UI/few buttons/...)
I have a friend who long ago created a simple script that displayed a different picture on the screen corresponding to each key on the keyboard. One could imagine the letter E displaying an image of an elephant. In this case, I think many of the images were family photos.

At any rate, my recollection is he used the programmable shortcut mappings of the fvwm window manner to do this. I expect a simple program in Python could also be used. My personal opinion is that button pressing electronics do not develop motor skills and other senses the way playing with a real ball might. Moreover, there is plenty of time for a young person to learn video games at a later age.

DarkElvenAngel

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:47 pm

You could look at tuxpaint and gcomprise my daughter loves them both can be installed with apt

There are some older pieces of software but I'm not sure how well they run on a Pi (work in progress). As far as a game console sort of thing. I'm not really sure we didn't start with computer stuff until she was 3.

I was going to make a script much like ejolson mentioned but I never had enough time and now she's out grown that.

Good luck with your project be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Gavinmc42

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:11 am

I had forgotten that, should work much better on the latest Pi's
https://www.gcompris.net/index-en.html

I got lots of Early Education PC CDroms from a second hand shop.
The "baby" was more interested in learning to read the TV's Electronic Program Guide to record the next episodes of Top Gear.
He ended up with my Windows Game PC a decade ago and drives car sims with a keyboard.
Chatting online in games made him a touch typist, very handy for High School now.

Give them access and they learn for themselves.
I do see toddlers in TV shops trying to swipe the big screens :D
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

ame

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:18 am

Henna15

Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:25 am

I have read all the opinions discussed here in this post, and I have a mixed feelings to decide whether it's good or bad to introduce my kids to this world of games. I'm working as a professional nanny in Dubai and currently taking care of children aged 4 and 6. Both are quite interested in games and I wanted to confirm the pros and cons before they start their journey.

The kids are very much used to my teaching style and they catch it quickly when I take them to new lessons. So I'm concerned about how it's going to affect their studies.

Please help me have a decision that suits best for them.

DarkElvenAngel

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:49 pm

We use Gcomprise to aid in lessons not to replace them. I would suggest that you play the games yourself that you're thinking to introduce and then create lessons that can be reinforced or expanded on with the computer games.

There are also older teaching programs that will work on a Pi. Recently had success getting Reader Rabbit running. My own opinion is that computers are great aids to teaching but should never be use unsupervised at that age level.

Henna15

Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:20 am

DarkElvenAngel wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:49 pm
My own opinion is that computers are great aids to teaching but should never be use unsupervised at that age level.
Yes, I agree with that. I'm going to make them use it only when I'm free and time to play with them.
Thank you.

Imperf3kt

Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:09 pm

Just as a heads up, the world health organisation recommends children younger than two years old do not look at monitors / screens / TVs etc as their eyesight is still developing.
As good as your intentions are, you're probably only doing harm, stick to the funny sound board and safety books.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

Return to “Gaming”