Senn

.EXE File, Red alert 2

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:20 am

So there is a game called red alert 2(yuri's revenge, Cncnet) it is almost 21 years old. I am also addicted to it so I thought I can install it on my raspberry pi 4 rather than to play on my father's computer which is not free all the time. So i want to know how can I run this game? It can be played online by installing cncnet, and also have a official extension pack. I just want to know how can I run cncnet.exe on twister os. So if anyone know how pls help me.

LTolledo

Re: .EXE File, Red alert 2

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:20 pm

better head on to the twister OS forum and ask your question there....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

thagrol

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Or try the gaming sub forum.

Either way the likely answer is "under emulation" which will affect performance. Given the age of the game, DOSBox or bx86 might do it.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

Senn

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:01 am

thagrol wrote:

Either way the likely answer is "under emulation" which will affect performance. Given the age of the game, DOSBox or bx86 might do it.
I can't find any good emulator

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:11 am

Senn wrote:
thagrol wrote:

The problem is that you have to use two layers of simulation. One to simulate the Windows environment/APIs and the other to simulate the x86 hardware. With a game that old, it *might* run reasonably, but there is no guarantee that it will.

Imperf3kt

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:51 am

I Googled this
linux games like red alert for raspberry pi
And got many results, predominantly
https://snapcraft.io/install/openra/raspbian
This
https://www.openra.net/
And this
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=27870
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

Senn

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:53 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
I Googled this
This
And this
That is red alert 1 not 2 So...

Senn

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:54 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:11 am
Senn wrote:
thagrol wrote:

The problem is that you have to use two layers of simulation. One to simulate the Windows environment/APIs and the other to simulate the x86 hardware. With a game that old, it *might* run reasonably, but there is no guarantee that it will.
so can you post a good way or a video?

Imperf3kt

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:50 pm

Senn wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:53 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
I Googled this
This
And this
That is red alert 1 not 2 So...
Yes, but its at least something, better than the current nothing available.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

thagrol

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:42 pm

Going out on a limb here...

As you have a Pi, it's fair to assume you already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Get hold of an old secondhand PC.

If it comes with windows installed, and it runs RA2 great. If not, try installing Debian with RPi Desktop and WINE. At least that way you've removed the X86 on ARM emulation layer and you'll be using an OS you're familiar with.

Ask around your family, your friends, your school, your Dad's employer, etc. You might be surprised what they have in the back of a cupboard.

Sometimes a Pi isn't the right tool for the job.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

Senn

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 am

thagrol wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:42 pm
Going out on a limb here...

As you have a Pi, it's fair to assume you already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Get hold of an old secondhand PC.

If it comes with windows installed, and it runs RA2 great. If not, try installing Debian with RPi Desktop and WINE. At least that way you've removed the X86 on ARM emulation layer and you'll be using an OS you're familiar with.

Ask around your family, your friends, your school, your Dad's employer, etc. You might be surprised what they have in the back of a cupboard.

Sometimes a Pi isn't the right tool for the job.
Well you are right, I have a windows machine in my house but it is not mine, some times i play on it but it is mostly used for work my my dad. My dad bought me this raspberry pi cause i asked but when it arrived I realized It is not great cause it cant have the software i wanted.I am also doing it for fun :)

Wildern

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:50 pm

Senn wrote:
So there is a game called red alert 2(yuri's revenge, Cncnet) it is almost 21 years old. I am also addicted to it so I thought I can install it on my raspberry pi 4 rather than to play on my father's computer which is not free all the time. So i want to know how can I run this game? It can be played online by installing cncnet, and also have a official extension pack. I just want to know how can I run cncnet.exe on twister os. So if anyone know how pls help me.
If your on twister os you could try Wine, as it will run almost any Win program. The only problem may be the lag. Ive never played Red Alert 2 myself but it seems like a pretty CPU intensive game(I may be wrong). If you start to experience some low fps try overclocking, it may help.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

My friend finally came to the conclusion that Raspberry Pi's are small.
Read more...

Senn

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Wildern wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:50 pm
Senn wrote:
If your on twister os you could try Wine, as it will run almost any Win program. The only problem may be the lag. Ive never played Red Alert 2 myself but it seems like a pretty CPU intensive game(I may be wrong). If you start to experience some low fps try overclocking, it may help.
i am over clocked and still on wine it is laggy

Wildern

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:42 pm

Mhm, wine isn't always the best solution, it tends to have pretty low framerate and I have tried to run certain Win10 programs before in the hope to play some good games on my pi, and I was instead given a nasty crash report that told me NOT to contact WineHQ about it, even though they developed the program in the first place :lol:

If the lag is a constant bother to you, try these things:

1.Use a reliable power supply.
2.Install a lightweight operating system(maybe Raspberry Pi OS Lite?).
3.Uninstall bloatware.
4.Disable JavaScript.
5.Employ a high performance SD card.
6.Try overclocking(I know you have already, but maybe overclock to the max amount? Max = 2.1 GHz).
7.Run the OS from a USB stick or HDD/SSD.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Read more...

Senn

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:55 am

Wildern wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:42 pm
Mhm, wine isn't always the best solution, it tends to have pretty low framerate and I have tried to run certain Win10 programs before in the hope to play some good games on my pi, and I was instead given a nasty crash report that told me NOT to contact WineHQ about it, even though they developed the program in the first place :lol:

If the lag is a constant bother to you, try these things:

1.Use a reliable power supply.
2.Install a lightweight operating system(maybe Raspberry Pi OS Lite?).
3.Uninstall bloatware.
4.Disable JavaScript.
5.Employ a high performance SD card.
6.Try overclocking(I know you have already, but maybe overclock to the max amount? Max = 2.1 GHz).
7.Run the OS from a USB stick or HDD/SSD.
1.I have a good power supply
2.i tried on raspberry pi os lite
3.what is bloatware
4.I use javaScript
5.I dont have permission to buy something
6.it is 2.1Ghz
7.usb 3.0 ports are not working correctly. They dont boot from usb

But i installed WOR and it works fine and i can play the game :)

Wildern

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:11 am

Huh. I thought WoR(full desktop experience of Windows 10 on your Raspberry Pi) had pretty terrible performance. Anyhow, glad you fixed it.

If you ever move back to the Raspberry Pi OS and want to play Red Alert then try steam link: https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/ ... berry-pi-4
Steam link is an application that lets you stream steam games from other devices.

Read more...

Return to “Gaming”