shivansps

Re: How to run Freespace 2 Open on Raspberry PI 3

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 am

Updated the instructions today, i forked the source to make some changes for mods to work.

Added Wing Commander Saga, a standalone free game that can be played with Freespace 2 engine.

Quicksilver

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:48 pm

Thank you for the instructions! I now have FSO running nicely on pi 4 and am able to launch directly through my RetroPie setup (although I am using the YAL launcher since it has a quit button). I have a couple questions though. First is there any particular reason youre building the debug version? On the official page it says not to but I was curious if there was some benefit to it. Also, what model pi4 are you using? My 2gb pi 4 is not able to run wing commander mod because it runs out of memory before the first level can load. I should also note that because I am not running the game from a desktop environment but instead in just a simple x window from the command line I do not have the focus issues you guys seem to be having on the pi 4 (If I try running the game with a simple window manager then I have the same focus issue you do). Just thought I would put that out there just in case it was useful for anyone.

shivansps

Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:59 pm

On 3.7.2 only the debug version works, the release build crashes when a ship is destroyed.

3.7.4 release version can be modified to be used as well, it needs a few tricks like disabling shaders, but 3.7.2 debug gives higher perf.

shivansps

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 pm

OK ive updated packages names in instructions and updated the source code to enable build on ARM64, i tested it on Ubuntu Desktop ARM64, it has some performance uplift (10-15fps on 720p), and it now shows as S3TC is supported in driver, what is kinda nice because it is now possible to run mods whiout too much problem.

Also all the issues regarding fullscreen on debian buster seems to be gone, fullscreen is working fine again.

MediaVps 3.7.2 for Freespace 2 are playable, the fps hit is large, but it is playable.

kwadroke

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:03 pm

shivansps wrote: I uploaded a Wing Commander Saga video.
Nice. Will have to get this going. Have you tested multiplayer?

Return to “Gaming”