Nimarus

Raspberry Pi Handheld Kits?

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 am

I've recently started tinkering with Raspberry Pi and love it. I got a Raspberry Pi 3b and eventually got a second one. I've got one setup as a retro console with Retropie in a mini Nintendo case. The other, I'm just using as a computer with Raspian while I learn more about Raspberry Pi and how it works. While I've been doing this, I've had one project eating away at me. Something I've always wanted to do...build my own handheld console! Now, I've seen kits on websites that allow you to basically make a copy of the original Gameboy. I've even seen some with the button layouts that could work with Super Nintendo games. However, I'm really hoping to go a little further on the kind of control inputs. This is where I'm hoping members of this forum, with far more knowledge than I, could point me in the right direction.

My hope is to build a handheld with a controller layout that would possibly work with PlayStation 1 games. I've found kits and parts that would work with the classic D-Pad with 4-6 buttons and two shoulder buttons placed on the back. But finding something that had not one, let alone two, thumbsticks is difficult. So far, my best option I've been able to find is a simple setup like the gentleman in this video made:

https://youtu.be/nIOIT-bHJcY

A very simple setup with a Raspberry Pi using a 3.5-inch screen with a case that contains the screen and Raspberry Pi. Then, using a controller with a phone clip to hold the Pi and screen (connecting via Bluetooth). Then, a power bank to power the Pi and screen. For what I'm hoping to accomplish, I may have to go this route it seems. However, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any ideas where I could go from here.

Imperf3kt

Re: Raspberry Pi Handheld Kits?

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:33 am

Something to consider: a generic phone charger won't power things properly.

Also of note, how do you plan to play PS1 games on a Pi without the necessary BIOS and ROM? Both of which are illegal to obtain.
User experiencing technical difficulties.

PhatFil

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:41 am

for some inspiration and ides Ben Heck on utube has done quite a few hacks/mods along these lines https://www.youtube.com/user/thebenheck ... h?query=pi

scruss

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:13 am

Eugene Andruszczenko here in Toronto makes the rather nice Game Boy Zero - Handheld Edition based on a Raspberry Pi.

It would be nice if there were something to replace the thoroughly defunct Pocket C.H.I.P. …
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Ger_Pa

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:57 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Also of note, how do you plan to play PS1 games on a Pi without the necessary BIOS and ROM? Both of which are illegal to obtain.
Is not illegal to dump Bios from the Console you OWN. Neither is making a backup of the games you own.
Some PSX emulators even use their own BIos which are not as good as the real one but are legal to use.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:30 am

Ger_Pa wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:57 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Is not illegal to dump Bios from the Console you OWN. Neither is making a backup of the games you own.
Some PSX emulators even use their own BIos which are not as good as the real one but are legal to use.
That may have been the case in 2003-2009, but in 2010, the DMCA exemption that applied to that practice, was not renewed.
US DMCA section 1201 wrote: Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and which require the original media or hardware as a condition of access."
Additionally, while making a backup of a game or software (ROM, in this context) is legal, stripping DRM is not legal and never has been. Without DRM the game will not run, so you can't legally ever use your "backup".

Ger_Pa

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:30 am

Additionally, while making a backup of a game or software (ROM, in this context) is legal, stripping DRM is not legal and never has been. Without DRM the game will not run, so you can't legally ever use your "backup".
Do you know how a PSX games work?

Imperf3kt

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Yes, I'm aware of how Playstation format software protected itself with hardware (laser wobble)

My statement was a blanket term for other software and systems.

Ger_Pa

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:24 am

Exactly. So i can legally run backups from my PS1 Games that i OWN, in any emulator i wish to use.

Imperf3kt

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:30 pm

I highly suggest you review the US DMCA act 2010 revision or later

Personally I don't care either way. In my opinion, you should be allowed to do that.
Unfortunately, the law states otherwise.

Return to “Gaming”